*1001: The Return of Chef*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

I_Am_Not_A_Brand_Muffin
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:37 pm

Postby I_Am_Not_A_Brand_Muffin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:31 am

KennyStanWendyFan wrote:The beginning was hilariously weird (there's something for Stan/Kyle fangirls to finger themselves to :roll:)

I thought the same thing.
Olivia42
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:03 pm

Postby Olivia42 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:51 am

I finally saw it just now via Mr. Twig. :lol:

The episode on the whole seemed awkward. Maybe it was Chef's choppy dialogue, or maybe I'm just out of the groove. It wasn't bad or anything, just strange.

I loved the "Previously on South Park" bit. How many times have they made fun of "to be continued" episodes on TV anyway?

I also liked the sad ending. I hoped a bit that they would let Chef's character remain independent of the actor, but I guess the statement has to come first. And since when has SP respected the sanctity of characterization? And I always appreciate a good Star Wars reference.

A good episode. Not perfect, but well worth my time.
.
Tweeks_Coffee
Posts: 1793
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:14 pm

Re: Stardust Memories

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:58 am

nojo wrote:Just don't resent those of us who also enjoy the more recent seasons.


Alright, but you gotta do the same. I'm not saying you've actually done anything (quite the opposite actually), but that's a big problem on this board. If you have a dissenting opinion than you'll be berated until you quit or die.
Image
D.D.Crazy
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:05 pm

Re: Stardust Memories

Postby D.D.Crazy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:01 am

Tweeks_Coffee wrote:
nojo wrote:Just don't resent those of us who also enjoy the more recent seasons.


Alright, but you gotta do the same. I'm not saying you've actually done anything (quite the opposite actually), but that's a big problem on this board. If you have a dissenting opinion than you'll be berated until you quit or die.

O rly?
nojo
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:51 am

Postby nojo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:12 am

Me, I'll know the show's in trouble when they do an episode with Stan and Kyle at each other's throats because Terrance and Phillip are (are not!) starting to suck...
onepiece226
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:21 pm

Makes Sense

Postby onepiece226 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:19 pm

They should bring back chef like kenny or say that the chef that died wasent the real chef like a clone or something,one question is the darth chef going to come back to destroy them or somthing
kylelover52610
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:34 pm

Postby kylelover52610 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:11 pm

I am a supporter of Stan/Kyle, yes, but I don't finger myself to the sh*t! I mean, come on. :roll:

But no seriously, I miss Chef, I loved him like a fat kid loves chocolate over chocolate smothered in chocolate. >.<
Misty_Park_3R
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:36 am

Re: Stardust Memories

Postby Misty_Park_3R » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:31 pm

nojo wrote:The show isn't any less funny, but these days it's funny in ways the old-timers don't enjoy -- "too political" seems the verdict.
I was thinking the reason some people do not like the newer episodes is because they are too young to understand the humor. I’m an “old timer” that enjoys the show.

marklar-mike wrote:o come on nojo, you gotta admit, south park is not as funny as it used to be. I will at least give Matt and Trey and the writers credit for TRYING but not credit for success in doing so.

nojo wrote:I agree: South Park is not as funny as it used to be…It's funnier.

That was an excellent response, nojo.
“20 yrs from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch trade winds in your sails. Explore_Dream_Discover” TWAIN
nojo
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Stardust Memories

Postby nojo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:13 am

Misty_Park_3R wrote:I was thinking the reason some people do not like the newer episodes is because they are too young to understand the humor.


Something like that, most likely.

Big Will, for example, has a link to South Park's "Jump the Shark" page:

http://www.jumptheshark.com/s/southpark.htm

Second item, from who knows how many years ago: "When 8 year olds started watching it."

But to be generous about it, it's not so much the "political" episodes -- SP has always been political, or at least politically incorrect -- but the balance of episodes that seem to annoy a significant contingent of old-timers. They want more of those flat-out raunchy episodes that don't require annotation to enjoy.

And really, you can't fault them for it. One of the charms of South Park is the characters themselves -- not only the kids, but the grown-ups. (Randy at the ballpark, itching for a fight with the other dads...) Lurking beneath everything else is -- surprise! -- a classic character-driven comedy. If Chef really were just a cardboard cutout, none of us would care about his fate.

Still, I've been asked to cite a recent "classic" episode that stands up to the rest, and this time I'll be serious: Last year's anime episode. That was a feat of imagination that still impresses me -- and just one reason why, to my taste, the series keeps getting better with each season.
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18938
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Postby Big-Will » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:07 am

Those items are arranged chronologically, I hope. The last two items are:

  1. I used to love this show's willingness to deal with controversial issues, engage in satire, and push the envelope, but South Park seems to have lost its soul. Many of the people, groups, and issues they tackle these days are basically subjected to petty attacks with very little real satire. SP was never very subtle, but it seems that too many recent episodes I've seen have left me more annoyed than entertained or enlightened.
  2. I am a huge fan of South Park and will continue to watch this show. That being said, "The Return of Chef" saw South Park not only jumping the shark, but throwing the shark off the cliff, disemboweling the shark, and had the shark torn apart by wild animals. I never had a problem with South Park making fun of any religion (even if I'm a Christian) and certainly wouldn't have a problem with Matt and Trey talking about the departure of Isaac Hayes. However, the show was simply not funny. I didn't laugh once and I was in shock watching Chef get killed in the most mean-spirited way possible. They could have handled the whole Isaac Hayes thing in a a better way and tacking on a funeral at the end didn't make things better. If they weren't angry at "Chef," why the venom towards him? Another shark jump has nothing really to do with the show, but the separation of fans into two camps, those who didn't like the episode and those who did and now make fun of the former. Jeez, a person doesn't like ONE episode and suddenly they're the Antichrist and go golfing with Tom Cruise each Sunday. Now my rant is over, let me say that I'll continue to watch South Park, but I'm worried that the guys have just lost their touch.

nojo wrote:(By the way, aren't we still owed a Lemmiwinks sequel?)

You actually believed that?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Butters Stotch100
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:02 am

Postby Butters Stotch100 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:32 am

every south park ep is funny. Who ever thinks that its not doesnt have a sence of humour or is a christian!








South Park kicks Ass!!!
nojo
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:51 am

Postby nojo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:29 am

Big-Will wrote:
nojo wrote:(By the way, aren't we still owed a Lemmiwinks sequel?)

You actually believed that?


Had I been watching at the time, I probably would have believed that Cartman's father's identity was going to be revealed "in four weeks"...
mouchette
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:49 am

Postby mouchette » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:12 am

Unhooded Kenny wrote:I think that Hubbard was a douche.


I loved that for some reason.
RAppel
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:11 pm

Postby RAppel » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:51 am

Butters Stotch100 wrote:every south park ep is funny. Who ever thinks that its not doesnt have a sence of humour or is a christian!








South Park kicks Ass!!!


Except the "Pip" EP
M00ndragon69
Posts: 9593
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:32 am

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:29 pm

Big-Will wrote:Those items are arranged chronologically, I hope. The last two items are:

  1. I used to love this show's willingness to deal with controversial issues, engage in satire, and push the envelope, but South Park seems to have lost its soul. Many of the people, groups, and issues they tackle these days are basically subjected to petty attacks with very little real satire. SP was never very subtle, but it seems that too many recent episodes I've seen have left me more annoyed than entertained or enlightened.
  2. I am a huge fan of South Park and will continue to watch this show. That being said, "The Return of Chef" saw South Park not only jumping the shark, but throwing the shark off the cliff, disemboweling the shark, and had the shark torn apart by wild animals. I never had a problem with South Park making fun of any religion (even if I'm a Christian) and certainly wouldn't have a problem with Matt and Trey talking about the departure of Isaac Hayes. However, the show was simply not funny. I didn't laugh once and I was in shock watching Chef get killed in the most mean-spirited way possible. They could have handled the whole Isaac Hayes thing in a a better way and tacking on a funeral at the end didn't make things better. If they weren't angry at "Chef," why the venom towards him? Another shark jump has nothing really to do with the show, but the separation of fans into two camps, those who didn't like the episode and those who did and now make fun of the former. Jeez, a person doesn't like ONE episode and suddenly they're the Antichrist and go golfing with Tom Cruise each Sunday. Now my rant is over, let me say that I'll continue to watch South Park, but I'm worried that the guys have just lost their touch.
nojo wrote:(By the way, aren't we still owed a Lemmiwinks sequel?)

You actually believed that?


Thank you Big Will...You hit the nail on the head. What you described are the exact reasons why I haven't been very happy with the more recent episodes.

And, as for the people who get trashed for not liking some of the new episodes, if any of you are reading this, here is a message..You don't have to take that kind of sh*t..It is your opinion, and you have the right to think whatever you want. If someone quotes what you said, then insults you, tell them to piss off..And, definately don't leave the board over that sort of nonsense..You are a South Park fan, you have as much right to be here as the people who profess to love every episode.
Image

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests