*1001: The Return of Chef*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

SPF4L#1
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 6:58 pm

Postby SPF4L#1 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:48 am

Grizim wrote:1) Metaphorically, I'm whining. I'm using the word "whine" with an exaggerated usage.

2) You're right that my free speach does look irrational. But I was never even referring to you when I complained because you said you liked the other newer episodes for the most part. I was referring to KSWF a little (but not a lot) because he said this episode was okay. It seemed though like users like him were limiting themselves from admitting that some of the newer episodes are great. If they hate one episode I understand, but if they have hated like ten episodes in a row it really does look like they're being downers, and they're raining on everyone's parades. There's my reasoning. Whether you like my reasoning or not, I am officially being rational now.

And I didn't see you people arguing with the episode haters telling the episode lovers that they're idiots. Dude you seem like one of those people whose first attack is to look intelligent, and then make the other user look like a complete retard. :lol: Yeah I don't know the definition of "whining". Making me look stupid never hurts me, man. Ignorance is a charm. The right side of my brain is 90% inactive.


If you'd been that rational in the first place, I wouldn't have said anything. I didn't post to make you look stupid, or because I took anything personally, but because I didn't agree with what you were saying at all. I get really sick of people saying that we have to like every single thing South Park puts out, just because we like the show as a whole. That probably isn't what you were saying, but it sounded like it was heading that way, so I got in.

The only time that negative opinions on South Park annoy me are when either:

1 - It seems like one user does not enjoy ANYTHING the show puts out and is simply posting after each episode to slate it and talk about how bad it's become.

2 - When people make big deals of tiny little things that happen and make out that a particular episode sucks because of them. For example, somebody said that the Succubus episode sucked, because Mr Derp was annoying.

Those kinds of statements I find stupid, but as long as negative opinions are properly justified and aren't constant, then I see no problem with them really.
If you can be bothered...please check out this poll:
http://misterpoll.com/4270026923.html
makki
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:59 am

Postby makki » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:15 pm

I wonder if Mr. Dirp will replace chef again, he was so funny.

Dirrrrrrp.
LindaKim1
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:27 pm

Re: Best ever? Sure!

Postby LindaKim1 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:15 pm

nojo wrote:Guess I've been lurking long enough...


I've only been on the board a short time, but you summed up beautifully all the things that I feel about this show.

Granted, by the time that I got to the 4th viewing of Chef's demise, it did start to get to me. The look of horror in his eyes just made me feel really sad. But I felt worse when the credits started to roll over that dead whale lying on the moon.

Thanks for a great first post and welcome to the board!

Linda
"I already brung it, bitch.
I brung it,
opened it,
and set it on the table, bitch."
Cartman
Stovepipe_Jam
Posts: 4611
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:20 am

Postby Stovepipe_Jam » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:17 pm

The dead whale on the moon was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life. Watching a man being ripped into pieces, having his arms torn off, his face and throat pulled off so that he is making rasping noises instead of screams........that is not so funny. :(
Kenny Da King
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:15 am

Postby Kenny Da King » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:15 pm

Stovepipe_Jam wrote:Watching a man being ripped into pieces, having his arms torn off, his face and throat pulled off so that he is making rasping noises instead of screams........that is not so funny. :(

Yeaha it is :P
Image
iceiwynd
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:24 am

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:05 pm

The whale on the moon was hilarious. Paritally due to the fact that the whale hadn't been there since the very first episode and hadn't played a big role in the series for almost nine full seasons (even if there was a decline as it went on).

It's that fact that make sme feel kinda depressed about the Chef thing. I didn't laugh until he crapped his pants, and even then I did kinda guiltly, because the whole time before I was just staring with my mouth wide open.

Yeah yeah yeah it's South Park's style and all, I know, I get it. But I'm a very symbolic person, so this one hit me pretty bad.

And yes, I still loved the episode as a whole. And the funeral scene almost made up for that horrible death scene. Almost.
PinkPrincess
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Postby PinkPrincess » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:26 pm

I loved this episode. South Park has a way of being awesome 24/7. I can't wait til next week's epie! :D :D
Image
Image
nojo
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:51 am

Little Murders

Postby nojo » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:14 pm

As far as I'm concerned, they should have whacked Kim instead of Edgar.

Whoops, wrong show...

I may disagree, but I can't fault folks for taking the literal portrayal of Chef's death to heart. All I can say is that without that scene, you don't get the power of what follows.

Yes, another list:

1. You bastards! YOU BASTARDS! In one moment, a ten-year running gag is turned inside-out. This time it's real, and -- I'll say it -- profound. Just one reason I find the episode brilliant.

2. The Fork in the Casket. On the one hand, a clever sight gag. On the other, a strangely compelling symbolic choice. As my dad likes to say, Remember the dead for how they lived. There are moments when I detect a sentimental streak in Trey & Matt. That's one of them.

3. Chef Vader. Technically, he has to be sufficiently mauled to set up the last gag. But that's not enough. If we don't feel in our hearts that he's definitively gone -- that the crap settles it -- we don't feel the horror of his return. Chef means more to us than Anakin ever did, which is why we're having this conversation in the first place. Nobody cared about the bus driver.

Oh, and the whale? I should add that it haunts me for all the right reasons. Satire doesn't work if you pull punches.
LindaKim1
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:27 pm

Postby LindaKim1 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:15 pm

Stovepipe_Jam wrote:The dead whale on the moon was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life. Watching a man being ripped into pieces, having his arms torn off, his face and throat pulled off so that he is making rasping noises instead of screams........that is not so funny. :(


I can see your point. I mean, in reality, would I choose the life of a whale over the life of a man. Absolutely not.

The deal with the whale thing was, as I see it... I kept waiting for someone, particularly Stan, to come to their senses and say, "Wait, dude! What the hell are we doing?"
But that never happened. The whale had no choice in the matter.

Chef made the conscious decision to literally turn his back on the boys and South Park and all the people that loved him. Remember, he wasn't brainwashed at that point.

He started back across that bridge all on his own. I mean, c'mon... a bolt of lightning, the fall off the bridge, bouncing off the rocks, a wooden stake thru the heart, a mountain lion, a bear... I'm surprised that they stopped there. Having any one of those tragedies happen to Chef would be better than completing the walk across the bridge to be in that "fruity little club."
"I already brung it, bitch.
I brung it,
opened it,
and set it on the table, bitch."
Cartman
Stovepipe_Jam
Posts: 4611
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:20 am

Postby Stovepipe_Jam » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:21 pm

One of the things that my friend thought was negative about this episode is the insinuation that Butters was molested by his uncle. I mean, come on, it's more retarded than all that stuff happening to Chef at once to kill him....................I mean, how much bad stuff can happen to one kid? It's stupid. Matt and Trey need to stop abusing Butters so much lately. :x
The_Paper_Boy
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:54 pm

Postby The_Paper_Boy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:33 pm

Stovepipe_Jam wrote:One of the things that my friend thought was negative about this episode is the insinuation that Butters was molested by his uncle. I mean, come on, it's more retarded than all that stuff happening to Chef at once to kill him....................I mean, how much bad stuff can happen to one kid? It's stupid. Matt and Trey need to stop abusing Butters so much lately. :x


No. It's funny if it happens to him. He's stupid. You need to stop taking the show seriously.

This episode was ok, not the best, but ok. Never seen anything wrong with the death either.
LindaKim1
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:27 pm

And there was Light!

Postby LindaKim1 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:34 pm

nojo wrote:3. Chef Vader. Technically, he has to be sufficiently mauled to set up the last gag.


Aww... man, I get it!
Chef was mauled.
Darth Maul.

I can't believe I missed that one. Thanks for pointing it out.

Its like the other day when someone on MSNBC pointed out that South Park now had its very own "Iron Chef."

By the way, good post!
"I already brung it, bitch.
I brung it,
opened it,
and set it on the table, bitch."
Cartman
Tweeks_Coffee
Posts: 1793
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:14 pm

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:16 pm

Stovepipe_Jam wrote:One of the things that my friend thought was negative about this episode is the insinuation that Butters was molested by his uncle. I mean, come on, it's more retarded than all that stuff happening to Chef at once to kill him....................I mean, how much bad stuff can happen to one kid? It's stupid. Matt and Trey need to stop abusing Butters so much lately. :x


You really should talk to PC, she'd love you for that post. Yeah, the Butters abuse is really overboard. The Death of Eric Cartman was really bad for him too. Just another of their running jokes that's perhaps gotten a little long in the tooth.

The_Paper_Boy wrote:No. It's funny if it happens to him. He's stupid. You need to stop taking the show seriously.

This episode was ok, not the best, but ok. Never seen anything wrong with the death either.


*T_C bashes TPB's head in with a bicycle* There! Deliver on that!
Image
iceiwynd
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:24 am

Re: Little Murders

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:30 pm

nojo wrote:1. You bastards! YOU BASTARDS! In one moment, a ten-year running gag is turned inside-out. This time it's real, and -- I'll say it -- profound. Just one reason I find the episode brilliant.


That was probably my favourite part of the whole episode. It seemed much more shocked that way and Stan said it with much more disbelief, and the second time Kyle screamed "YOU BASTARDS!" his voice faulted a bit and there was much more emotion in it. I've gone back and rewatched that part simply for that reason. It felt more real and perfect to the situation, and that's what I loved about it.

And about the whole Butters thing, eh. I don't dwell on it. He's still a happy, stupid kid with all that happening to him and isn't that what matters? He takes abuse but half of the time he doesn't know what's happening, and the other bits he's usually still good. Maybe I'm just one of those people who gets really, really amused when a joke is beaten to death - in a proper way. Butters is one of them. Trapped in the Closet is another.
nojo
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:51 am

Tending Butters' Garden

Postby nojo » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:48 pm

Forgive the arcane reference, but there's a bit of Candide in Butters: sweet and optimistic, despite the abuse heaped on him. Butters lives in the best of all possible worlds.

Just keep him away from the tap shoes.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests