*1001: The Return of Chef*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Stovepipe_Jam

Postby Stovepipe_Jam » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:52 pm

^Laughs

You know, if half the fanfiction writers of the world thought and wrote half the way you do, my stories would be obsolete. Have you ever considered writing fanfiction, "nojo"? :wink:
nojo

Postby nojo » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:13 pm

Alas, I'm more of an essayist by nature -- too rational for fiction. Unless you prefer stories full of numbered lists.

What I would enjoy is sitting in on a South Park story session, where the ideas get hashed out. My guess is that inspiration precedes explanation -- you get the idea, and then you figure out why it works. Half of what we say about an episode may never have crossed their minds.

But really, I'm just a fan of a good rant. Start with Trey walking in the door pissed about something, and grab some popcorn.
Stovepipe_Jam

Postby Stovepipe_Jam » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:16 pm

You should stick around. You're not like the other n00bs here--you actually think!! :D
nojo

Unintended Consequences

Postby nojo » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:57 pm

Before we impale this thread on a stick, I want to mention how stupid the Scientologists have been over the whole affair. If only they had let the original episode slide -- the way Isaac Hayes did, when he was still speaking for himself -- it would have been filed away and forgotten.

Half the folks here think South Park is in a five-year slump, after all.

But no. Presuming all the rumors are true -- especially the reasons for yanking the Closet repeat, and most especially the supposed Viacom gag order against Trey and Matt -- all the Scientologists did was ensure they'll go down in history as a "fruity little club".

Consider: Wednesday's show drew 3.5 million viewers, a million more than usual. It's been all over the news -- internationally. And the Chef episode itself (in my judgment, anyway), is far better than the Closet episode that caused all the ruckus.

Why? The very gag order that prevented them from running a more conventional sequel.

Since they were (apparently) forbidden to refer directly to Cruise or the Scientologists, they were free to let their imaginations run wild, coming up with the child-molesting and brainwashing allusions that are far more damning than any Xenu silliness. It's a classic case of censorship creating its own worst enemy.

In other words: Trey and Matt got served, and it was on.
Stovepipe_Jam

Re: Unintended Consequences

Postby Stovepipe_Jam » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:00 pm

nojo wrote:Half the folks here think South Park is in a five-year slump, after all.

Well if "slump" has been given the meaning I think it has, I am one of those people.
nojo

Postby nojo » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:40 pm

Don't want to polarize the conversation, but yes, I was acknowledging that half the folks here strongly disagree with me about the ever-increasing quality of the series.

I think we can do that without tossing feces.

What interests me is that it is a polarizing subject: Better or Worse? Most shows (or, um, certain six-episode movie franchises...), there would be general agreement, allowing for a rump group of holdouts. But something about South Park brings out partisans on both sides of the issue, not all of whom allege profane sexual fantasies against the show's creators.

Personally, I enjoy the entire run -- some more, some less, of course. And I also think the movie is one of the greatest musicals ever made. For me, as long as the creators keep challenging themselves, I'll be along for the ride.
missycartman

Postby missycartman » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:27 am

airmancoop44 wrote:
Glad to see Terrence and Phillip,

:tp: w00t
Kathy Lee and Elton John were there too..:lol:
Great Ep , Loved it . :D
-Wildchild-

Postby -Wildchild- » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:13 pm

I just finish watching Return Of Chef episode, and I'm very impressed with the basic idea of it. It rocks big time, especially the Darth Vader "Chef" ending.
Nice work! :)
Daylight has finally reached it's end
As evenfall strikes into the sky
Far away in the dark glimpsing moonlight
Sickening souls cry out in pain
Misty_Park_3R

Postby Misty_Park_3R » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:46 pm

LindaKim1 wrote:
nojo wrote:Guess I've been lurking long enough...
Thanks for a great first post and welcome to the board!
I enjoyed your well-thought-out posts as well.

Stovepipe_Jam wrote:…how much bad stuff can happen to one kid?…
I’m going to say, more than you can imagine, besides, he can go to therapy when he grows up. O_o

nojo wrote: (nojo enjoys the) …ever-increasing quality of the series.

Personally, I enjoy the entire run -- some more, some less, of course. And I also think the movie is one of the greatest musicals ever made. For me, as long as the creators keep challenging themselves, I'll be along for the ride.
Even though I enjoyed SP’s construction paper look in its prepubescent days, the new artwork is exceptional and the “ever-increasing quality of the series” continually reinforces my adoration.
Last edited by Misty_Park_3R on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“20 yrs from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch trade winds in your sails. Explore_Dream_Discover” TWAIN
DARKNESS_201

Postby DARKNESS_201 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:47 pm

ive been watching sp ever since it came out and that episode really freaked me out :shock:
its only funny when people get hurt, than its hilarious!
marklar-mike

1001 FRIGGY

Postby marklar-mike » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:20 pm

I watched south park since i was like 8. My parents didnt let me but i would watch it at my frend's houses and other places. South park was a big part in my life and i would always count on south park to make me laugh my ass off, just like the boys counted on chef to give them advice in bad times. The older south park got, the more they only talked about recent issues. They dont care about comedy any more... only disscussing economic and political issues. They disscuss political issues and dont even bother anymore to make it funny. They lost the touch. Me, and all my frends and family agree that south park isnt funny anymore. Chef was in South Park since episode 1, day 1, and to have him die in such a brutal and bloody way was just stupid. It killed the very essense of south park that we all fell in love with years back. Everyone is saying we are nearing to the apocolypse and end of the world... in south park's case... its probaby true...
nojo

Stardust Memories

Postby nojo » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:21 pm

Well, now I understand which side of The Great South Park Divide I stand on...

My fault for being a latecomer to the board. Clearly, what I enjoy about the show -- the sharp satirical wit -- is what's turning a lot of people off.

I'm all for the current-events focus, even when I think the targets are too easy, or find the Libertarian attitudes questionable. The show isn't any less funny, but these days it's funny in ways the old-timers don't enjoy -- "too political" seems the verdict.

Fair enough. I know how that feels -- Woody Allen lost me years ago. I can't begrudge him the direction he chose to take, but I'm not obligated to follow him, either. But there are always the "early, funny" films, and for veteran South Park fans there are always the first five years. Just don't resent those of us who also enjoy the more recent seasons.

Trust me, they're very, very good -- presuming you like that kind of thing...
marklar-mike

chef b bloody

Postby marklar-mike » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:12 pm

o come on nojo, u gotta admit, south park is not as funny as it used to be. I will at least give Matt and Trey and the writers credit for TRYING but not credit for success in doing so. Just to spice things up, cartman cracked a little jew joke on the way to the super adventure club hq.....heh....original. At least in the old episodes, south park wasn't so complicated and issue-based. Classics like Pinkeye, Cartman's mom is a Dirty Slut, Chicken Lover and more are the episodes that made us laugh before. The first few season are what made South Park popular the latest political ones. I can list tons of people who i kno who dont watch it anynmore. All im saying is that M & T should ressurect the style of the early south park. It would mix the funny stories with the new looking animation. That is South Park... That is what we want. If we wanted to look at political issues being made fun of we could turn on the Daily Show or Colbert Report. Or just turn on the news.
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:50 pm

^ People have different senses of humour. If nojo thinks that the newer episodes are funnier, then he thinks that they're funnier. Ranting on and on about how all of the older episodes are so much better an etcetera doesn't do much, it only makes you sound worse and more intolerant of others' opinions. I, personally, like the political satire more. If all these people you know have stopped watching it, then fine. They don't like it anymore. But respect the opinions of others who do, and don't tell them that no matter what, the older ones are still funnier.
nojo

Postby nojo » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:58 pm

I agree: South Park is not as funny as it used to be.

It's funnier.

Hey, I tried to be diplomatic...

(By the way, aren't we still owed a Lemmiwinks sequel?)

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”