*1002: Smug Alert!*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:44 am

Oh good, I'm so glad I could incite such a response. I even got someone to join merely so they could flame me, now that takes talent. Let's take this one at a tome, shall we?

Kind of like the majority of anyone who's ever tried (illigal) drugs? We just have skipped the actual aging part since it is a cartoon.

Yes, to them not even a year has passed. These kids are 9. Do you really think 9-year olds taking drugs is funny?

If I remember correctly he was opposed to drugs because of parental scare tactics and lies(the entire point of the episode)not even wanting to touch a joint fearing they will become addicted to harder drugs.

Yes, fearing they'd become addicted to harder drugs LIKE ACID!

You mean to say doing things that you think are horrible.

So you're saying that you're fine with Acid? Kyle's educated on drugs, even if it i just from Mr. Mackey.

Again I'm going to assume you meant to say Kyle taking drugs wasn't funny to me, as I found it quite hysterical.

Oh good, let's argue semantics because you have no other ammo to use against me. Of course it's my opinion, it's my f*cking post.

Hah, can't wait till you have kids of your own if you keep that attitude past jr high(assumption). Smile Again did you react this heavily with the DXM they took to get an idea for a school show or the ciggarettes they smoked in Butt Out to not grow up to be singing dancing retards? Or were these reasons(or the fact that the drugs were legal) ok?

First of all, f*ck you. You have no idea what I'm like or who I actually am. You assume I'm a certain way because you saw a couple posts of mine where I was pissed off? Yeah, you really took the high road on that one. As far as the cigarettes and Cough Medicine are concerned, there are two major differences here. First of all, they were all involved in those activities, it wasn't just Kyle. Second, those were, mostly, legal. The boys weren't stretching out too much to do those things. And yes, I do get annoyed at those scenes.

I like how you drag up my posts from, what, 5 pages ago? I hadn't even ranted since last night, but other people continue this argument without me. If you feel like retorting to this post, do it in a PM, I'd be happy to tell you to blow it out your arrogant ass there.
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:54 am

Fake Shemp wrote:But I would take a turd sandwich anyday over a giant, smug, douche.

To each his own, I guess.

I do think it's a sign of how detatched Matt and Trey are, no doubt resulting from their environment, when they consider Scientology and San Francisco dangerous.

It's funny and all, but come on.
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:58 am

Oh good, I'm so glad I could incite such a response.

Doesn't sound like it...

I even got someone to join merely so they could flame me,

Quite defensive aren't we...wasn't a flame just simply an opinion(more semantics yay!). If it makes you feel better(or worse?) I probably would have joined eventually anyway.

Yes, to them not even a year has passed. These kids are 9. Do you really think 9-year olds taking drugs is funny?

I thought I made it fairly obvious that I did, at least on South Park. If you take the show this literally, as someone else said then your break(from the show at least if not the boards) is indeed probably the right choice.

Yes, fearing they'd become addicted to harder drugs LIKE ACID!

Haha that made me laugh, do you really think you can get addicted to acid? Or that acid is a hard drug?(In sensible societies in europe it is classified as a soft one)

EDIT: Even if acid was an addictive "hard drug" it doesn't matter as the very episode you brought up furthers my point, since at the end of said episode of future self n me they (at least stan, i don't remember kyle actually being in that episode all that much) got over the scare tactics of fearing to become instantly addicted to harder drugs(which the parents admitted was a lie), and probably would stack up with his pro-choice type actions during the Butt Out episode(and any others I can't remember ATM).

So you're saying that you're fine with Acid? Kyle's educated on drugs, even if it i just from Mr. Mackey.

Yup, totally fine with it, but I would assume you could have realized that from my previous post, and if being educated by Mr Mackey is your best argument, then I can just stop right here(though I guess he can say they are bad having tried them all now, even if he did just get re-brainwashed).

Oh good, let's argue semantics because you have no other ammo to use against me.

Uhm...did you read the rest of my post? Though I suppose I could say the same with you(replacing semantics with rage and insults)if I were to take the "low road". :)

have no idea what I'm like or who I actually am. You assume I'm a certain way because you saw a couple posts of mine where I was pissed off?

Yup, thats why I said it was an assumption(though I did notice you didn't say it was wrong, even though the only assumption was that you were in JR High, nothing about any way you are...)...clever there aren't you, and again very defensive.

First of all, they were all involved in those activities, it wasn't just Kyle

So then when kids do drugs together thats ok?

Second, those were, mostly, legal. The boys weren't stretching out too much to do those things.

You really want me to get into this topic(even though I did assume this would be an excuse)? The fact that most legal drugs are more dangerous and damaging then the illigal(Hell tylenol causes more deaths annually then all illigal drugs combined, and most illigal drug deaths are due soley on the fact that they are illigal)? The fact that DXM(Cough syrup) in many people's opinions is more intense psychologically(with the added possible physical consequences, something pretty much devoid from LSD) then LSD(when DXM is taken by itself and not with the more damaging and possibly deadly other ingrediants the boys took)? Edit: Oh, and I didn't see Kyle stretching out too far...he just said "Ok, i'll take a half a hit".

I like how you drag up my posts from, what, 5 pages ago?

If I took the time to join then(IE:If you had stopped ranting)then I probably would have responded to your outragious points then, whats the big deal?

If you feel like retorting to this post, do it in a PM, I'd be happy to tell you to blow it out your arrogant ass there.

Nah, I'd rather other people be able to put thier opinions in as well instead of you just being able to brush it off privatley(which one of us is smug again? Maybe both, but at least I am taking that high road as you called it and am being (mostly) civil).
Last edited by UnnamedGuy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
mewster

Postby mewster » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:58 am

Fake Shemp wrote:LOL... I sense some anger from the left. Get over it. I'm sorry you didn't like the episode because it was one of the best since season 8. I just love the liberal-bashing episodes. It's one of the few times I ever get to see that mentality on TV or in the media. Sure, George Bush screws up sometimes but he isn't a total douche like Teddy Kennedy and John Kerry. Just sort of a turd sandwich. But I would take a turd sandwich anyday over a giant, smug, douche.

Hippie-bashing for everyone.

"I hate conservatives, but I f*cking HATE liberals!"

-Matt Stone

End of rant.

You might want to check the strings on that violin you're playing; they sound really worn out :lol:
I'm now known as Cartman's Top Enemy. Please make a note of it.
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:15 am

These kids are 9. Do you really think 9-year olds taking drugs is funny?

A little more on this...

Do you think 9-year olds killing someone's parents and making them eat em is funny?
Do you think 9-year olds going to mexico and flying a wale to die on the moon is funny?
Do you think 9-year olds cheering over other 9-year old cripples fighting is funny?(or taking steriods in the special olympics one has faked his way into?)
Do you think 9-year olds going to afganistan and killing Osoma Bin ladin is funny?(or getting mistakenly sent back to africa to starve, or flying out to Marklar)
Do you think 9-year olds dieing every single episode(in the earlier years) is funny?
Do you think 9-year olds sucking some guys dick for sea men to create a civilization is funny?
Do you think 9-year olds becoming cops that are sent out on incredibly dangerous missions is funny?
Do you think 9-year olds walking into a stand off thinking they are already dead to distract 3 people with automatic weapons to save the day is funny?

I could go on(and make this the longest post in this thread) but I (hope) you are getting my point... it's south park!! I'll say it again, you need to chill out.

Edit: Oooh just rememebred the ritalin episode where they went on it to not get homework! But again I guess cause that is legal it is fine huh...
Last edited by UnnamedGuy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:24 am

I'd love to jump in, but I'm already on record finding hilarious the sight of a human being falling down a cliff, being impaled on a stick, getting mauled by a mountain lion and a bear, and having his face ripped off, while I remain officially haunted by the sight of a dead whale on the moon.

But in a good way, of course.

On the other hand, a taco crapping ice cream? Definitely crosses the line.
D.D.Crazy

Postby D.D.Crazy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:25 am

I've been reading some of the posts on this thread, and it seems to me that all of you are second guessing what a fictional character would do, or weather he can be addicted to a drug to wich some of you have never tried (including me)

But thats not really the point. I belive that the taking acid part was a bit off character for Kyle, and people are stll alittle edgie over the betreyal of Chef's character. I think that that paranoia is causing all of us to be a little nurvous.

I also could not help but notice some people making blunt attacks on others' characters. I don't think eny one really needs to be mud slinging in a senario such as this. It's kinda stupid.

Yeah, I can see why kids taking, swearing, and hurting each other can be funny. In fact, I think that it's the foundation of this show, really. I cannot find it surprizing that this would happen again. Although this is not exsactly like the Cough Medicine. You see, getting high off Cough Medicine is not as creadible as acid, and it's also a bit random, and the reprocutions aren't as obvious as they are when taking a controlled substance.

All in all, the whole episode was unusialy weak, and not very coherent.

God you guys, pardon my spelling. I'm Mexican! :b
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:38 am

[quote="Olivia42":4e182][quote="Fake Shemp":4e182]But I would take a turd sandwich anyday over a giant, smug, douche.[/quote:4e182]
To each his own, I guess.

I do think it's a sign of how detatched Matt and Trey are, no doubt resulting from their environment, when they consider Scientology and San Francisco dangerous.

It's funny and all, but come on.[/quote:4e182]

Yeah, I think they are somewhat detatched too, and they need to realize that a large percentage of their fans DO NOT LIVE IN HOLLYWOOD!!!! Seriously, if they hate Hollywood so much, Comedy Central should build them a studio far away from that f*cked up town..Comedy Central would be smart to do that, after all, which show of theirs sells the most merchindise? If they want to keep profitting on the show, they need to keep the fans happy and the episodes good..

And Fake Shemp, you can take that South Park Conservatives book and shove it up your self righteous ass..
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:45 am

You see, getting high off Cough Medicine is not as creadible as acid

So public opinion determines how dangerous a drug is?

and it's also a bit random

Or the personal choices as to why to take a drug?

and the reprocutions aren't as obvious as they are when taking a controlled substance.

Or fact that you'd get arrested?

DXM is following the same sociological trend that acid did when it was first synthesized and still legal. Small groups of people that know the truth about the drugs power and the rest of society that looks down upon people for doing the "uncool" legal drug.

Not that I'm complaining, this mindset(which could be easily changed with a simple web search) will keep the drug legal, easily accessable and undiluted by a black market(I've never heard of anyone dieing from cough syrup that was laced with battery acid), not to mention pretty damn cheap.

EDIT: And by the way while I haven't yet had a chance to try acid(it is pretty hard to find around here) I have tried its cousin LSA, and I have extensive experience with DXM, even though I could guess that would automatically negate any points I try to make labeling me a "druggie", even though by extensive experience I mean moderate responsible recreational use.
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:50 am

do you really think you can get addicted to acid? Or that acid is a hard drug?(In sensible societies in europe it is classified as a soft one)

Okay, let's step outside the context of the episode for the moment...

Personally, I'm not aware of acid being addictive -- certainly not like other hard drugs I could mention, including nicotine. (I'll be happy to stand corrected on that.)

But acid being as innocent as dope?

Um, no.

If you've been on the wrong side of a trip, you'll know how it can be profoundly unpleasant -- I believe the expression I used at the time was "having my mind turned inside-out and sandblasted". It's not an experience I would wish on the unwary, and acid is not a substance a sensible society should be casual about.

I've also had trips where I've been One with the Universe, so I can't condemn it, either. But either way, it's damn serious stuff, not just another item on the menu.
D.D.Crazy

Postby D.D.Crazy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:52 am

Well, that really isn't the point here, mr "UnnamedGuy"
What I was trying to say back there was that none of the kids really knew what they where getting themselves into. But Kyle knew full well what acid would do. The "Random" and "Creadible" statements where addressing the humor of the action.
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:58 am

The "Random" and "Creadible" statements where addressing the humor of the action.

Ahh ok, i misunderstood, sorry. :) But even then I would be more offended(if I was to be offended) with them blindingly taking something that could kill them then knowingly taking something (physically) benign(assuming kyle has been educated more then just scare tactics, cause if not its basically the same thing and he wouldn't know what he was getting into at all).

But acid being as innocent as dope?

Never said it was, just said it is usually classified lower then drugs like cocaine methamphetamine and opiates in rational societies, and not higher, up there with dope(I assume you meant marijuana?)like in the US.

It's not an experience I would wish on the unwary, and acid is not a substance a sensible society should be casual about.

I completely agree(and for the record have had some unpleasentness during my experiences but never consider any of them to be "bad" as I've always learnt something), though I do think people should be able to make the educated choice of whether or not to experience it, and upon that choice that noone else should be so high and mighty to look down upon them and tell them what a horrible mistake they are doing and how they are wasting thier lives(especially when they have never experienced it).
Last edited by UnnamedGuy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:02 am

I will agree that getting high on cold medicine is a dangerous thing to do. I say this, because back in 2000 I had some friends who started doing that..Only it wasn't the syrup they were getting high on, it was the cough and cold pills..One day, I had found out that one of them ODed while he was at the mall, if mall security didn't call an ambulence, he may have died. After that happened, he got off the cough and cold pills for about a week, then went back on them, decided he hated me, tried to physically harm one of my friends, and became more paranoid..I later found out that when he was taking, large amounts of cough and cold pills ( 15 in a few hours) that he was ingesting one of the ingredients of meth. That was why he was quickly turning into a different person than the one I had been friends with for a year..Then later he got another friend of mine doing it, and although I tried to get him to quit, he wouldn't...I can't be around either of those people..Basically, they started on cough and cold pills and went to meth, and the way they are now is pretty scary.

This is why I didn't really like the part in A Quest For Ratings when the boys were doing cold medicine..Taking to much of that sh*t can really f*ck you up the way it f*cked up some people I used to know..Maybe even get you started on meth.
D.D.Crazy

Postby D.D.Crazy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:08 am

But even then I would be more offended(if I was to be offended) with them blindingly taking something that could kill them then knowingly taking something (physically) benign(assuming kyle has been educated more then just scare tactics, cause if not its basically the same thing and he wouldn't know what he was getting into at all).

you're right, but you see, this is a cartoon. Other than what acctually takes place within the show, and what is refeared to in the past within the show, whe must take everything at face value. Acording to Kyles reaction to the drug, he knew it was dangerous, but he only suspected the Cough Medicine of having advurse effects.
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:10 am

M00n they were using CCC's(Coricidin(or in SP's case Coritussin:D)cough and cold), which contains Chlorpheniramine Maleate, which is a decongestant like Pseudoephedrine but it is an anti-cholorgian(i can never spell that right)not a stimulant, so I don't think it is used in making meth. It is a deleriant though and most likley caused the OD and the other psychological effects you described.

My point was never that getting high on cold medicine is dangerous(even though it obviously can be)though, it is that any uninformed drug use, legal or not, is dangerous, as is the ignorant hate of all (usually only illigal) drugs.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”