*1002: Smug Alert!*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:16 am

Acording to Kyles reaction to the drug, he knew it was dangerous

His reaction was "Oh, no thanks. We don't do that stuff." Which if taken at face value(with his automatic rejection of that when given a reason) would mean they don't do that stuff unless they see a use for it, like getting the idea from Cough Syrup or smoking to not become fruity little singers, or ignoring thier smug parents. :)

I would agree with you if he even looked a little offended or pressured or outraged or angry or upset in any way.
Last edited by UnnamedGuy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:16 am

I thought I made it fairly obvious that I did, at least on South Park. If you take the show this literally, as someone else said then your break(from the show at least if not the boards) is indeed probably the right choice.

And I said I was taking a break.

Haha that made me laugh, do you really think you can get addicted to acid? Or that acid is a hard drug?(In sensible societies in europe it is classified as a soft one)

I was using your phrasing there. The scare tactics were merely an advertisement. Getting over the scare tactics is one thing, but that's just TV commercials. The facts still exist no matter what ad campaign they're using

Yup, totally fine with it, but I would assume you could have realized that from my previous post, and if being educated by Mr Mackey is your best argument, then I can just stop right here(though I guess he can say they are bad having tried them all now, even if he did just get re-brainwashed)

No, I was actually sayong that Mr. Mackey is a crappy teacher. I wasn't using him as an argument, just pointing out that they have had drug education before.

Yup, thats why I said it was an assumption(though I did notice you didn't say it was wrong, even though the only assumption was that you were in JR High, nothing about any way you are...)...clever there aren't you, and again very defensive.

And by "assuming" that I was in Jr. High you insulted my intelligence. And stop acting like because you put the parentheses around it you were making a totally innocent comment. Of course I'm defensive, you show up out of nowhere and attack me, why wouldn't it be. Your whole "I'm not fighting because I'm mature" act is pretty pathetic too. FYI, I'm a college graduate.

So then when kids do drugs together thats ok?

You missed the point entirely, the point here is Kyle's character and personality. Doing it by himself is different than when his friends are doing it too, not that either is good. Who's taking the show too seriously now?

You really want me to get into this topic(even though I did assume this would be an excuse)? The fact that most legal drugs are more dangerous and damaging then the illigal(Hell tylenol causes more deaths annually then all illigal drugs combined, and most illigal drug deaths are due soley on the fact that they are illigal)? The fact that DXM(Cough syrup) in many people's opinions is more intense psychologically(with the added possible physical consequences, something pretty much devoid from LSD) then LSD(when DXM is taken by itself and not with the more damaging and possibly deadly other ingrediants the boys took)?

Let's keep this about the show here. Society teaches that these drugs are very bad. Cigarettes and alcohol are definitely not good, but legal. No matter what common sense says to an adult, these are kids that have only been taught by the government about drugs. One of the basics is that yes, illegal stuff is worse than the legal stuff. Thus, a 9-year old would have no other frame of reference on this.

If I took the time to join then(IE:If you had stopped ranting)then I probably would have responded to your outragious points then, whats the big deal?

I wasn't arguing about this anymore, nor had I for awhile. I had stated my opinion somewhat more recently, but not been aggressive about this since Page 4. I didn't like what they did to Kyle's character plain and simple. I didn't like that they made him take drugs, and I still don't.

I offered the PM because it is in the forum rules. Yeah, your underhanded comments and "holier-than-thou" attitude is very civil. :roll:
Last edited by Tweeks_Coffee on Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
D.D.Crazy

Postby D.D.Crazy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:21 am

Oh, you are correct yet again. I failed to remember the exsact words Kyle used. You see, I only took his sentiment into consideration
BUT
UnnamedGuy wrote:My point was never that getting high on cold medicine is dangerous(even though it obviously can be)though, it is that any uninformed drug use, legal or not, is dangerous, as is the ignorant hate of all (usually only illigal) drugs.

Oh happy day! So you agree then! You see that taking drugs is dangerous, and funny at time. But, dosen't that make playing devil's advocate kinda pointless now? Like the posts you first made?
Also, I would have added you to my buddies list because of the "going agains the tide" thing you did back there. But you just made this account today, and you only have posts on this thread... And also, and you made it quite clear that you only signed up to respong to Tweek's_Coffee...
Wow, you even learned how to quote people rather quickly.
EDIT: Sorry, the word "bad" isn't called for here
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:29 am

The facts still exist no matter what ad campaign they're using

Which facts are these? The scare tactics are an advertisement yes, but they are blatent lies, containing little to no truth in just about every single one of them.

And stop acting like because you put the parentheses around it you were making a totally innocent comment.

I don't see how you got that idea, parentheses are used in order to get a point across relating to the statement but not part of the actual sentance, though I suppose I could just use one long run on sentance to get my thoughts across, i think quotations would be the better thing to critizise me for, like your "high road" and such. :)

Of course I'm defensive, you show up out of nowhere and attack me, why wouldn't it be.

Because you are comfortable in your opinons/beliefs and don't care what a random stranger you most probably will never meet has to say about said opinions/beliefs? That is to say if I even was attacking you, which I didn't think I was(at least it wasn't intentional...i do have a sort of dry sarcastic humor/personality).

Doing it by himself is different than when his friends are doing it too, not that either is good.

His brother doesn't count? Or the other kids who would be his new friends if he had stayed? I see your point but it wasn't like he suddenly decided hey I'm gunna go out and find a dealer selling acid, then come back to my room alone and drop it.

Let's keep this about the show here.

I'd love to(even though you didn't by the end of the paragraph of your suggestion), as the show is basically ripping on all of society, whereas these children are the only basis for rationality. This again would further my argument from the brainwashed adults thinking all (illigal) drugs are bad, so that they could possible see through all the bullsh*t and come to thier own independant conclusions.

I didn't like what they did to Kyle's character plain and simple. I didn't like that they made him take drugs, and I still don't.

Thats fair, chef couldn't go back to south park either after being brainwashed. (Too much? Sorry) I just wanted to get my opinion out there as well, as ignorant hatred of (illigal) drugs, as I said, I consider quite dangerous and slightly annoying.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:36 am

This probably isn't any of my business, but arguing about this is kind of pointless. Both parties are pretty strong in their opinions on the matter, and no one is going to be changing their minds about what they believe to be true.

UnnamedGuy,if you did indeed join the board just to bitch at TC, you are not cool in my book..There are already too many people here who are soley here to cause trouble, we don't need any more.
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:37 am

Thats fair, chef couldn't go back to south park either after being brainwashed. (Too much? Sorry) I just wanted to get my opinion out there as well, as ignorant hatred of (illigal) drugs, as I said, I consider quite dangerous and slightly annoying.

All right than, let's come to some kind of middle ground here. My rant is not about the drugs themselves, but the fact that Kyle took them. It's the decharacterization I didn't like, not necessarily the act itself. I'm not on here railing against how offensive it is that they showed kids taking drugs.
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:38 am

You see that taking drugs is dangerous, and funny at time.

Can be, yes. :)

But, dosen't that make playing devil's advocate kinda pointless now? Like the posts you first made?

I don't think so? My point against tweek still stands as he is completely closed off to the possibility that they can be funny, or that they can not be dangerous(at least it seems that way).

Also, I would have added you to my buddies list because of the "going agains the tide" thing you did back there...And also, and you made it quite clear that you only signed up to respong to Tweek's_Coffee...

Lol, was just offering opinions, it's not my fault that they are against the tide. I have no intent either way of being a "rebel" or being likes on a msg board. :) While they were directed mostly at tweek it was mostly because it was tweek who's opinion seemed in direct opposition(and yes triggered me signing up tonight, with of course a healthy dose of boredom to help).

But you just made this account today, and you only have posts on this thread...

Well there you go, maybe I will find more topics I can get into as easily as I have this one(with so many quick responces/retorts keeping my attention my entire 3 hours of being signed up :P)and I'll have posts in others.

Wow, you even learned how to quote people rather quickly.

This isn't the first message board I've ever been to. :) In fact if you'd like another reason for me joining, the other boards that I usually frequent have been having server problems and have been down all week.
D.D.Crazy

Postby D.D.Crazy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:39 am

I'm gonnna go way off subject here, but bare with me

I just wanted to get my opinion out there as well, as ignorant hatred of (illigal) drugs, as I said, I consider quite dangerous and slightly annoying.

Yes, this is correct. People do often make dessisions based solely on the dessisions of otheres withought knowing the facts. And that is really annoying. But still, you cannot dennie thouse who have seen the affect first hand. It really sucks when you have friends who no longer act the same, and parents who are compleatly f*cked up by, be it, pot, acid, or what ever. You can spit out facts, death rations, you can tell me more people are killed by cows, than from a drug (eny will do) but in the end, I'll still know that people around me are not the same, and are stupider, horrible people now because of it.
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:44 am

All right than, let's come to some kind of middle ground here. My rant is not about the drugs themselves, but the fact that Kyle took them. It's the decharacterization I didn't like, not necessarily the act itself. I'm not on here railing against how offensive it is that they showed kids taking drugs.

Sounds good, though I'd still agree with those who've said characters change over time, or more likley thier creators in this case. :) Either way its gone on long enough and it is pointless, but at least both opinions are out there and understood now. :)

if you did indeed join the board just to bitch at TC, you are not cool in my book

Well like I said I didn't come to "bitch" just get my opinion out that seemed to be in opposition of tweeks. My first post I agree was a little much, and I am willing to end it here, as I agree it is getting rather pointless. I didn't really want to cause trouble, in fact tried my best to be as civil as possible, at least after my ironic streak of the first post. :)
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:48 am

Ok final post tonight...I promise. (...Crap, I lied.)

You can spit out facts, death rations, you can tell me more people are killed by cows, than from a drug (eny will do) but in the end, I'll still know that people around me are not the same, and are stupider, horrible people now because of it.

So how can you explain the number of people who have had miraculous positive life changing experiences with these substances(I am one of them). The point is not to blame the drug(assuming that you were blaming the drug...), the substance, an object or plant(like blaming guns for killing people)for anything "good" or "bad"(which I don't think any object can be classified as), but the person and thier choices.

I'm not saying your friends were bad or anything, but I'm reminded of the bloody mary episode, which I think was brilliant in its blast on AA("You have no control, the drug is causing anything bad or good and you are powerless, just spend your entire life staying off of drugs"). But like they say Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people, the same can be said for drugs, though its mostly the governments fault for not only allowing the ignorance/stupidity, but perpetrating it.
Last edited by UnnamedGuy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:49 am

UnnamedGuy wrote:Sounds good, though I'd still agree with those who've said characters change over time, or more likley thier creators in this case. :) Either way its gone on long enough and it is pointless, but at least both opinions are out there and understood now. :)

You got yourself a deal, and yes, we did end up in a rather stupid thing there. I realize that they'll change some, but I don't want them too! I want my Kyle back! :cry:
saying_shit

Postby saying_shit » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:58 am

kacy__sp wrote:...
and apart from the storyline the animation quality was killer, much improved from the crappy look of seasons 1-3 etc. which is not to say they were bad, it just proves the show's come a long way. I personally love the changes. it's more like a movie.

oh, boy.. You must be extremely pleased if the show become like what matt and trey introduced in 'Free Hat' episode.
How about 3D Southpark, dude?
D.D.Crazy

Postby D.D.Crazy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:59 am

So how can you explain the number of people who have had miraculous positive life changing experiences with these substances(I am one of them). The point is not to blame the drug(assuming that you were blaming the drug...), the substance, an object or plant(like blaming guns for killing people)for anything "good" or "bad"(which I don't think any object can be classified as), but the person and thier choices.

I'm not saying your friends were bad or anything, but I'm reminded of the bloody mary episode, which I think was brilliant in its blast on AA("You have no control, the drug is causing anything bad or good and you are powerless, just spend your entire life staying off of drugs"). But like they say Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people, the same can be said for drugs, though its mostly the governments fault for not only allowing the ignorance/stupidity, but perpetrating it.

Taking a Moby stance, are whe?
People are for the most part weak, if there is an easy way out (drugs, violence, vacume cleaners) they'll take it. Taking thouse things away results in strives towards bettering society. A dream I know. But still, a world withought drugs means no more more problems liket his, but it will spawn new ones (such is deaths by dessies). I really think that this issue cannot be seatled here. It's like asking "what came first the chiken or the egg?" Whe'll hafto fall back on our belifs to find a guilty party here. I'll take the easy way, and target the drugs. And you target the people. You don't even need to reply to this, because I think I understand what you're saying compleatly. kay? :o
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:46 am

And you target the people. You don't even need to reply to this, because I think I understand what you're saying compleatly. kay?

Sorry but I have too after that.

People being weak is ingrained by society(mostly I think in the west). It is not a natural thing in any way, you'd only have to look at the netherlands drug policy(and how it is working) to realize that. If people were weak we would not still exist, we would have died out long ago.

Your way is the easy way out(in my opinion), and I do find it ironic that you want to take the easy way out and rid the world(I agree with you, a dream of the conservatives that will never happen)of (illigal? Or did you mean legal ones too, prescription and OTC)drugs instead of learning self control and disaprin after (seemingly?) complaining that we are mostly weak.

But still, a world withought drugs means no more more problems liket his,

What about sexual addiction, adrenaline junkies, gambling addicts, cleptomaniacs and self mutilators? People will always find a way to escape if that is what they want to do(which I think most addictions/habitual abuse is caused by, so taking away the vice will have no effect at all), and altering our minds seems as natural as sleep(which does some pretty f*cked up things to the brain, have you ever seen a scan of the brain when we're sleeping?)so that leaves out that as well, as people will most likley just go onto more dangerous things(Think of kids who huff gasoline because they don't have enough money for the outragously raised black market prices on weed, or in line with this topic, those who buy/steal CCCs and OD on it thinking its harmless because its legal).

Again I refer to the bloody mary episode.

"If you devote your whole life to completly avoiding something you like, then that thing still controls your life and you've never learned any discaplin at all! All or nothing is easy. But learning to drink a little bit, responsibly...thats a discaprin. Discaprin, come from wifin."

I say its about time we take control of our lives and not just get rid of anything that may cause damage to those who use it irresponsibly(because if we are going to do that why stop at drugs? Lets illigalize rock climing, parachuting, bungie jumping, flying in airplanes, driving cars, anything sharp and/or pointy, and leaving the house. I could go on but this post is already long enough :) ).
D.D.Crazy

Postby D.D.Crazy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:14 am

If people were weak we would not still exist, we would have died out long ago.

I meant it as in the vises you where talking about earlyer. And maybe you're right about it being mostly western, athough I just cannot believe that.

Your way is the easy way out(in my opinion)

Cool, you're entiteld to thouse opinions. But living withought drugs (I mean ligal) or some of the vises you where talking about, isn't easy sounding to me. Sure, it's a simple generalization, but defenatly not easy.

I say its about time we take control of our lives and not just get rid of anything that may cause damage to those who use it irresponsibly(because if we are going to do that why stop at drugs? Lets illigalize rock climing, parachuting, bungie jumping, flying in airplanes, driving cars, anything sharp and/or pointy, and leaving the house).

Sure, thats true, but I just don't see that hapening eny time soon.
There really are peeple who cannot (as you put it) use drugs responsebly, ther are people who cannot be around pointy objets, there are people who cannot rock climb, some cannot drive cars, and others can't leave theyre houses. Most of the things you mentioned, I believe you mentioned because of theyre implied wit, do apply to some of the people out there. And the mear fact that there are people like that validates my statement (to a small amount)

I never intended to target things that might be dangerous to people, but the things that provide quick fast relief, and solutions to problems that should be more carefully dealt with.

I'll read what ever you say next, but I whont respond to it. I'm tiered, and It's late, and I havent had much sleep this week. I'm sure my argument is heavely flawed, so I'll just smile and nod, and sleep =__=

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”