*1002: Smug Alert!*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:27 am

Tweeks_Coffee wrote:And thus, I am taking a break. No new episodes for me, though I'm not sure how much this will really help. I don't care what anybody says, Kyle taking drugs wasn't funny.

I suppose it doesn't help that you don't actually see him taking the drug, does it? San Francisco is known for easy access to drugs. And Matt and Trey did acid themselves (shhh!) while filming Cannibal! The Musical. (They came up with the Chef character at the time, too. :lol: )

iceiwynd wrote:What I didn't get though is that Stan seemed to be the last one to find out that Kyle was moving away/had come back, the hell? They're best friends, wouldn't he be one of the first to know? Minor quip but it annoyed me a bit.

Stan should have known about it from Kyle himself, but Kyle was probably told not to talk to him, and I don't see why Kyle would tell Cartman. Hmmm...

bulrog2004 wrote:i watched the rm torrent @mrtwig, and it lacks of credits, just like 1001. coincidence or tveps are capping without credits?

Removing them, because they look like crap now being on one side of the screen with the preview for Mencia on the other side.

mewster wrote:Overall ep: 3/10. Like there are not smug clouds hanging over the White House and Fox News studios.

How many of those guys are driving hybrid cars? :lol:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:16 am

Well, I think that maybe Kyle didn't want to tell Stan that he was going. Maybe it was too tough for him to say to his best friend.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
CoS_sux

Postby CoS_sux » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:28 pm

Ike taking drugs is really fun though offsetting kyle not,
"ok i'll take half a hit"
"I'll take tree!"
Tom Cruise is my nomination for douchebag of the universe. :)
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:06 pm

Out of curiosity, I looked up George Clooney's acceptance speech:

Wow. Wow. All right, so I'm not winning director. It's the funny thing about winning an Academy Award, it will always be synonymous with your name from here on in. It will be Oscar winner, George Clooney. Sexiest Man Alive, 1997. Batman, died today in a freak accident at a -- Listen, I don't quite know how you compare art. You look at these performances this year, of these actors and unless we all did the same role, everybody put on a bat suit, and we'll all try that. Unless we all did the same role, I don't know how you compare it. They are stellar performances and wonderful work, and I'm honored, truly honored to be up here. And finally, I would say that, you know, we are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while. I think it's probably a good thing. We're the ones who talk about AIDS when it was just being whispered, and we talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. And we, you know, we bring up subjects. This Academy, this group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I'm proud to be a part of this Academy, proud to be part of this community, and proud to be out of touch. And I thank you so much for this.

As for the liberal-bashing, I didn't mind it so much since Matt and Trey didn't end with a "Who cares about the environment?" sort of message, and instead left things off with "You can care about the enviornment without acting like you're better than everyone else." But yes, Hollywood smugness isn't anywhere near as big a problem as environmental issues, war, and other problems often associated with conservatives. Matt and Trey never suggested this though. They're just doing something few forms of media do: bashing the left.

And for the record, I voted Democrat in 2004.
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:02 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote:You don't have the right to tell him what to think.

Tell me where I told him what to think. Draw out the exact f*cking words that I typed and show them to me, because I don't recall telling anybody on this thread to think differently or shut up, except for the people who bash others for liking/not liking this episode. Tell me exactly where the hell I did that, would you? Because as far as I know, I told him why I didn't like his attitude towards it, but I did not tell him to stop thinking that way. Show me the words the apparently enforce your belief, would you? Because I don't f*cking see any.

I'll edit this post when I go read the rest of the thread and if there's anything else to reply to. I just wanted to respond to this.

EDIT: Holy hell, I missed a lot. And I guess this should have gone in PM. But it's said and done and I could easily delete it (although the reason I did respond much more aggressively was because I saw it as a blatant attack on myself), but I guess I could go out and elaborate on what I previous said, about knowing the character.

The reason TC's posts were agitating me was because he was acting like he knew what was best for the character, he knew exactly what the character would and wouldn't do. Kyle isn't his character. Kyle is Matt and Trey's character. If they think that, under the circumstances, he would take acid, he would take acid. Yes characters are open to interpretation, but acting like you know it better than the very creators is what I don't like. If somebody told me how my characters (neglected as they are) should act, I'd bitch them out.

And to clarify, no, I'm not trying to continue an argument, this was simply the impression I was getting and another point of view thrown in. If anybody wants to continue it with me, be my guest, but really, it's not necessary.
tramp

Postby tramp » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:34 pm

There was a lot to like in this ep. Kyle and Ike are priceless, both with Ike finishing/continuing Kyle's sentances to the "I'll take half a hit" "I'll take three!" dialog.

Cartman going into San Francisco in a deep sea diving suit - awesome. I loved that he saved Kyle too - even if it was for his own selfish reasons.

My thanks to the person who posted a link to Stans song - one of my fav. south park songs to date. And Stan getting punched in the face by Ranger McFriendly :lol:

The Prius being renamed "Pious" was an especially nice touch.
UnnamedGuy

Postby UnnamedGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:28 pm

Hey I just remembered something, wasn't Kyle the one (all the way back in season 4 in The Tooth Fairy Tats) who was constantly reading about the nature of existance to eventually...(not exactly sure) combine with it to become everything and nothing, then turn into a giant half rooster half squirl to scare everyone?

I'd think if any one of those 4 kids would ever wanna do acid it'd be kyle...
SPF4L#1

Postby SPF4L#1 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:21 pm

UnnamedGuy wrote:Hey I just remembered something, wasn't Kyle the one (all the way back in season 4 in The Tooth Fairy Tats) who was constantly reading about the nature of existance to eventually...(not exactly sure) combine with it to become everything and nothing, then turn into a giant half rooster half squirl to scare everyone?

I'd think if any one of those 4 kids would ever wanna do acid it'd be kyle...

Also, don't forget that it was Kyle's idea for the boys to get high on cough medicine. I don't understand why some people are so pissed off at Kyle taking acid.
If you can be bothered...please check out this poll:
http://misterpoll.com/4270026923.html
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:32 pm

Kyle's character has changed, and I don't like it. Of course Matt and Trey can do whatever they want with their characters, they are their creations after all. At the same time I'm allowed to be agitated when one of my favorite characters of all time changes. Truthfully, if they would have done this several years ago I probably could have brushed it off, but given the track record lately I was already on edge. Of course the characters will change some as the series goes on, but I rarely see any signs of the old Kyle. On the other hand I suppose it makes me appreciate those small moments all the more. Like in Free Willzyx, I loved that episode largely due to the fact that it was somewhat of a return for Kyle.

Hmm, that's a pretty jumbled collection of thoughts there. Oh well, deal.

EDIT: Oh and one other thing, this may sound extremely arrogant, but sometimes it does seem like I know the character better. They're not even able to remember what his last name is from week to week. Sure the character's based on Matt and all, but he is still a fictional character.
kyles wife

Postby kyles wife » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:17 am

Unhooded Kenny wrote:Well if it involves Stan, it will probably be another Randy episode. I wonder what they mean by smug.
i know
Youkai Enslaver

Postby Youkai Enslaver » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:42 am

Loved:

~Ike tripping balls
~Fart smelling
~Smugness
~Stan's "gay little song"

Did not love:
~NO KENNY
~NO KENNY
~NO KENNY
I enjoy ham.
Dude Cartman Rocks

Postby Dude Cartman Rocks » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:43 am

Finally added the Episode on AABS! see my signature for more info! :lol:
antispace

Postby antispace » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:08 am

I loved the episode, especially the closed eyes while being smug.
D.D.Crazy

Postby D.D.Crazy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:03 am

Tweeks_Coffee wrote:Of course the characters will change some as the series goes on, but I rarely see any signs of the old Kyle.

I just really liked it when Kyle cussed out thouse aliens in the pilot episode. I wish he did something like that again.
Grizim

Postby Grizim » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:35 am

Uhh M00n, you're telling iceiwynd that TC has the right to have an opinion, but iceiwynd doesn't have the right to have an opinion that TC needs to shut up? She can argue however she wants. Quit freaking me out....you've been doing that a lot lately with your posts that I read while lurking. I mean I gained respect for you when you told Hess to go f*ck himself and admitted that it is sometimes fun to flame, but respect comes with fear and you are very creepy to me now.

In TC's defense, when Butt Out originally aired, I was very shocked to see them smoking. I even remember later in You Got F'd in the A, I was shocked to see all of the goth kids....my favorite characters at the time.....smoking. I can honestly say that I hate cigarettes more than drugs. TC I understand you, but you're very literal-minded. Was it stupid and far-from-reality to make two little kids get high? Yes. But stupidity and graceful carelessness is what gives South Park it's beauty. It's just like the old sh*tty animation. I though Kyle and Ike (mainly Ike) getting high was the funniest "dumby" that Matt and Trey ever came up with. Yes, funnier than the crab people.

SP4FL wrote:Also, I still fail to understand how some people can be put off an entire episode (or even show in this case) by such a small detail. Kyle takes acid (it fits with the storyline and everything) but that makes the entire episode monkey sh*t. I just don't get why people grow so attached to certain characters in the show and react so strongly to what happens to them.

:lol: Dude now do you see why I was being such an ass last week? I always wish for an episode that everyone can agree is kickass and then we can all have a little SPS BBS celebration in the episode's thread. I thought last week, that would happen. But did it? No. And believe it or not, it has happened before. I remember how much fun it was on here when Awesom-O aired and everyone was happy with it except for a few assh*les in General Discussion.
As enjoyable as abuse.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”