*1003: Cartoon Wars*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

bulrog2004

Postby bulrog2004 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:21 am

ruthless_xsi wrote:Can someone help me please? What do you need to view a *.rm file?

RealMedia format. go get realone player @ real.com or better, get real alternative free codec @ free-codecs.com, and play it with your favorite player.

rm files are smaller than divx/xvid avis (36mb vs 140/180mb) so expect LOW quality. but they're faster to download and publish ;)

Corn Wallace wrote:Is this the first time that they showed George Bush in an episode?

IT was in "super best friends" too. first time of that black b*tch. i hope she'll get what she deserves next week.
Twist101

Postby Twist101 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:44 am

Ruthless: you need RealPlayer to play .rm files.

Wow, I'm really liking season 10 so far. I laughed my ass off at The Return of Chef, I laughed my ass off at Smug Alert, and I did the same thing for this episode. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

I've only seen an ep or two of Family Guy (didn't think much of it), but I managed to get all of the jokes. Guess it helps to do some research beforehand. "Know thy enemy", if you will.

Here are the things I loved:
-The very beginning with Sharon reading Stan a story. Awwww. I like how they remind us every once in a while that they're still kids.
-The absolute chaos reminiscent of Two Days.
-The way Matt and Trey sort of broke the fourth wall.
-Kyle and Cartman working together!
-The fact that Ike didn't really die. I yelled when I saw the explosion. Thank God it was just a dream.
-The chase scene with that random police car. Funny as hell. And their tricycles rock.
-The preview of things to come. It looks really exciting
-"Mr. President."

Too bad Kenny didn't have a single line. Poor kid. Though I'm loving how Kyle's had a major role in three episodes now, probably even four based on the preview of the second part.

I'm sure other people thought of Crab People as well at the end... :cartmanlaugh:
jaydollah

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

Postby jaydollah » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:47 am

I love south park to death, but this was horrible.
Did anything funny happen in it? I understand the reference to the viacom/tom cruise scientology episode being pulled. And i understand that trey and matt hate family guy from what i've read, but come on. Channel 11 in NYC has been showing old episodes of south park nightly, and they remind me of how great this show once was, and could be again. This season, so far (with the exception of tonight) has been better than last (with the exception of trapped in the closet which was brilliant) but tonight was CRAP. I really think they need to start spending time on their scripts again and stop just trying to churn them out in a week based on whatever the hot topic is at the moment. They're better than all this. Make us laugh again!!!
fluffyx

Writers

Postby fluffyx » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:48 am

You KNOW that the Family Guy writers are... wait for it... CRAB PEOPLE!
Aristicero

Postby Aristicero » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:49 am

Ingenious episode in many levels.

Although the obvious point made by the episode was about the ridiculousness of the muslim riots about the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad in Dennmark; and the obvious hits on how Family Guy doesn't make jokes essential to the story line; this episode has a major, overall, metaphorical meaning. This is just another great episode joking about the absurdity of scientology and Tom Cruise's threatening of Viacom.

If we remember correctly... Tom cruise threatened Viacom the he would not do any publicity for Mission Impossible III unless Comedy Central pulls the “Trapped in the Closet” episode. So, since Viacom owns Paramount and Comedy Central and Mi:III is a potential big hit this summer, Viacom pulled the episode and will not show it anymore. And of course Isaac Hayes quit the show after "Trapped in the Closet" aired.

Matt and Trey then commented on how the “million year war for earth has just begun…” ( http://www.variety.com/VR1117939918.html )

--This episode is just another knockout (after "the Return of Chef") towards the cowardly actions taken by Comedy Central when threatened by Tom Cruise.

See, in the episode “Family Guy” really represents South Park. Fox represents Comedy Central.
So, rather than fight for free speech, the townspeople stick their heads in the sand—just like comedy central is doing. Rather than fighting to keep “Trapped in the Closet” in circulation. They have obviously stuck their heads in the sand and have bent over for Tom Cruise.

Like the Family Guy episode in the show, This episode (cartoon wars) is a two parter.
So, what they where really saying was: Does Comedy central have the balls to show next week’s episode and bring back “trapped in the closet” or will they just “Puss Out?”

Check out http://www.xenu.net for more about this "war"
two fathoms deep

Postby two fathoms deep » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:55 am

people, please give up the whole tom cruise thing. he may have tried to have them shelve an episode, but he's not the first person to try and stop south park..... i'm sure he won't be the last either.
Olivia42

Re: Writers

Postby Olivia42 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:59 am

fluffyx wrote:You KNOW that the Family Guy writers are... wait for it... CRAB PEOPLE!

Well that just goes without saying. :wink:
ruthless_xsi

Postby ruthless_xsi » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:59 am

As much as I thought of crab people when they said that cartman finds out the truth behind the family guy writers, I don't think Matt & Trey would go back to an old joke like that in such a new style of episode. They need something new that's even funnier.

I can see next week's episode (if it is allowed to air they way they want it) having a continuation of what happened this week, and then finishing off in classic south park stlye with an absolutely absurd idea like in the style of jarkovasaurs and crab people.

And yes, I agree it was nice seeing that clip with Stan beign read a story at night, the only other times we ever got to see them acting like kids and not being that sophisticated, was in early days when they used to have huge grins and love hearts appear around their heads (like in Toms Rhinoplasty) and Mr Hanky's Christmas Classics at the end when the four boys hold each other and sing "Through the years we ALL will be together....if the fates allow...."

Good work guys, last week was not my cup of tea but you've provided although not classic style south park humour, a very good alternative - stick it to them. Jihads = lame.
ruthless_xsi

Postby ruthless_xsi » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:02 am

Aristicero wrote:Everything he said

You've hit the nail perfectly on the head. Best explanation!!!

Anyone tries to go on about it being any other way - it's not. You're just not smart enough to see it if you read this and disagree.

Good work man a couple of things in there I didn't even pick up!
Lanotte

Postby Lanotte » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:03 am

Sigh....

What a terrible, terrible episode.

Look, I'm a big fan of South Park, Family Guy or pretty much whatever else is funny. That being said, I readily admit that both of these shows have big, big problems and seem to shoot themselves in the foot every once in a while. So I was anticipating a thorough and enjoyable ripping of Family Guy's often-annoying excesses, but all I get is some lame pseudo-parody of FG that totally fails to capture the cadence and style of the show and makes fun of the kind of superficial first impressions we get and stick with when we refuse to actually work for our jokes. Yeah, Family Guy can have random, meaningless pop culture jokes that aren't funny, but we all know that. South Park's satire was akin to calling Bush "dumb" onstage and expecting the audience to laugh.

I find it especially ironic that South Park chose to make fun of another show on an episode that reflects its own worst tendencies. This show is praised for consistently showing and skewering "both sides," but all too often this just boils down to characters making speeches at each other. And this is when South Park is at its worst - when it bogs itself down in rote punditry. The straw man tactic of having a really unlikeable character spout really ridiculous arguments and then shooting them down gets tiring quickly. Sure, it's funny when its completely over the top and whatever arguments are being made are secondary to the comedy. But that's the key, isn't it? You can get away with pretty much anything - no matter how stupid, offensive, random or irrelevant - if you give us something hilarious to sink our teeth into. This episode had none of that.
bogart27

Postby bogart27 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:08 am

Dude, stay away from real player, it is the worst media player possible. Get Real Alternative. 200% better.
jaydollah

EVERYTHING LANOTTE SAID

Postby jaydollah » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:11 am

Lanotte wrote:Sigh....

I couldn't agree more. Especially about the characters simply preaching at one another. Well said Lanotte....
Aristicero

Postby Aristicero » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:12 am

Thanks ruthless_xsi, I've done my homework... :wink:

--on another note-- although many people have tried to shelve other episodes ("Bloody Mary")

Tom Cruise has been the only one that has actually succeded.
That's why we should protest to bring "Trapped in the Closet" back. It is one of the best episodes of the last few seasons.
Jesskatedd

I loved it

Postby Jesskatedd » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:12 am

Here's what I posted on the original thread for Cartoon Wars, just one hour after the episode was announced:

"When I saw the title of the episode, I thought maybe this would be about the muslims rioting over cartoons overseas. I've been expecting Trey and Matt to do something about that. I'm just wondering if somehow they can make Family Guy offend people and start riots. I hate to think it's just going to be them dissing Family Guy. I guess we'll all have to wait and see Wednesday night."

Not bad for my first post on this site. I guessed the plot outline, but still I loved the way Matt and Trey lampooned America's tepid response to the cartoon riots overseas, took some more shots at that fruity club that has been giving them crap, plus they whacked the hell out of Comedy Central at the end of the episode! I bow to the masters.
Am_I_Evil

Postby Am_I_Evil » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:14 am

lol

i can't believe how many people didn't seem to understand this episode at all....

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”