*1003: Cartoon Wars*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Gryphkid44

Postby Gryphkid44 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:18 pm

TiffanyD wrote:Wasn't Family Guy making a joke in that episode about how because of some joke they made, FOX was going to cut their budget and that's why Peter was walking like that?

Yes this joke was directed at South Park. They were saying that if Fox were to cut there budget then they would have to look like South Park. The joke was that South Park is a cheap show and is poorly made. It is funny that Family guy even made this joke seeing how South Park is sooooooooo much better of a show.
bunnasoo

Postby bunnasoo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:25 pm

My first thought when I realized it was about the Mohammed cartoons was, oh, come on, now you're just being controversial for the sake of being controversial! But then as it went on, I really enjoyed it.

The real video terrorist wasn't just any terrorist, he was Al Zahawari, who is always credited as bin Laden's number two but actually bin Laden is his number two. It's intersting that they would use the number one Islamist Jihad philosopher and Cartman to say what they felt about Family Guy!

They're right that Family Guy is just a bunch of random jokes without much plot line. None of the characters are particularly loveable. In some irrational part of my brain, the characters in South Park and Simpsons and even Looney Tunes seem like real people that exist in the world. The characters in Family Guy don't.

But... so?? I only watch Family Guy occasionally, but sometimes it's funny. South Park is like a well balanced meal and Family Guy is like a bag of Doritos. But again... so? If it's funny, who cares?

I put a jihad on you... I loved how he said that in Team America. As I understand it, you don't put a jihad on someone, you put a fatwa on someone. Jihad means struggle. And they used that again in this. I wonder how much Matt & Trey know about what they're ripping sometimes, or if they did that on purpose because it's how Americans think the word is used and that's the joke. I like to think it's the latter!

The thing that's really got me thinking is the question which is more important: standing up for free speech or preventing people from dying? It seems that the Danish cartoon riots were organized and provoked by the Imams who control the people through religion and wanted to make a big spectacle (where do they get Danish flags in the middle east?). But those people who were rioting, the few times they did actually bother to translate what they were saying instead of just showing them screaming like a bunch of animals to frighten ignorant Americans, they were vowing to "restore the honor of the prophet." So they were seriously pissed off about it. Okay, yes, it's crazy, yes, it's stupid, but it's real. That speech about standing up for free speech is easy to say when it's not your ass on the line because most of the rioting is going to happen in the Middle East.

Have they really not shown Super Best Friends since the Danish cartoons? I thought I saw it since then.

So once again, South Park made me laugh and gave me an ethical dilemma. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!

Bonnie
nickmaudlin

This could be interesting...

Postby nickmaudlin » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:28 pm

Firstly, I'm positive there will be a part 2. Matt and Trey will need to give us some kind of resolution. It's not like they've never finished a 2-parter before. Let's not forget "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell/Probably". They're not going to abandon us this time.

Secondly, I found this quote in the production blog:

"This week’s episode actually makes me proud to have my name in the credits – even if the episode forced me to obtain an unlisted phone number and move to a safe house.

Just watch the show – you’ll understand."

Now, since this entry is from April 4th, it makes complete since that this statement is reffering to Cartoon Wars. However, the episode didn't appear to be as shocking as he makes it out to be. Could M&T already have Part 2 finished? They did after all have "clips" of it at the end of 1003. Maybe this quote is reffering to the 2-parter as a whole. I'm willing to bet the next episode is going to be brutally shocking.

Which leads me to my next point. Matt and Trey are challenging Comedy Central. Here's what I expect from Part 2: Pure chaos. They're provoking a riot. They're basically telling CC that they're going to give them something worth pulling. I'd expect something as ridiculous as "The Super Best Friends vs. Scientology". They have the balls to do it. And there will almost definately be a LOT of Muhammad.

Matt and Trey have lost a good friend to Scientology as well as having their episode pulled by Tom. The backlash will be severe....
Killahertz9

Postby Killahertz9 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:47 pm

It was a very good episode and i'm looking forward to next week. Next week will be the determining factor on how good this past episode will be.

Here's to next week and mud in your eye.
The Man of Steel

Re: I loved it

Postby The Man of Steel » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:55 pm

Jesskatedd wrote:
handlyhamster wrote:Uhhh, you totally missed the point of this episode and please put a leash on your indulgent kudo's.

Thaaaaaankkkks...

Hamster - on the original Cartoon War thread, I correctly guessed the plot. It was a six page thread, and I was the only person who mentioned the Muhammed cartoons. Everyone else was obsessed with the South Park/Family Guy feud. That is only the subplot - the censorship of just about every media outlet worldwide over the Muhammed cartoons is what this episode was about. How did I not get what the episode was about? Yes, it ripped Family Guy. Yes, it ripped scientologists. Yes, Family Guy is a proxy for South Park. But the big story is the Muhammed cartoons. I think Trey and Matt are going to make a grand statement about this issue. I believe they are thinking globally on this one and not just taking potshots at Family Guy.

Right on. Completely agree with you about the censorshipping of Muhammed being the big issue here. Did anyone think that maybe South Park was trying to to get the cartoon image of Muhammed on TV (via fake Family Guy episode) and then the South Park executives censored LAST NIGHTS SOUTH PARK episode??? Then M&T decided to to make the SP into a two parter, basically saying, 'don't censor our show, not in America' and gave comedy central another shot at showing Muhammed uncensored?? Wow, so many subtlties in this episode.

Also, the speech by the scientist and putting your head in the sand was kind of like what comedy central already did in regards to when South Park showed Muhammed in Super Best Friends - they just ignored that it ever happened.
Grizim

Postby Grizim » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:08 pm

You people complaining about the new episodes sound like old people complaining about cell phones and iPods. :lol: Maybe, you can learn that it's okay to voice your opinion about an episode, but you need to be ready for flames as well, especially if your opinion is negative. Don't cry when someone attacks you. :lol: If you can say something negative about an episode, then another user can say something negative about your post. It's true, this episode wasn't very great, but I thought it was okay. This episode was a little Drawn Together-ish, and that really pissed me off. Drawn Together humor is by far the most annoying type of humor ever.

But, I salute Matt and Trey for the ending of the episode, when they gave Comedy Central the kick in the balls it deserved.
As enjoyable as abuse.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:31 pm

bunnasoo wrote:I put a jihad on you... I loved how he said that in Team America. As I understand it, you don't put a jihad on someone, you put a fatwa on someone.

jihad - struggle, or holy war. al-Zawahri put a jihad on Family Guy and on the nation that makes it. Muslim extremists put a jihad on the West a long time ago, vowing to get rid of it by war or by population growth.

fatwa - vengeance or retribution. Salman Rushdie is still under one for The Satanic Verses
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
nojo

Postby nojo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:48 pm

Grizim wrote:This episode was a little Drawn Together-ish, and that really pissed me off. Drawn Together humor is by far the most annoying type of humor ever.

I may agree with you, but I would never stoop so low as to compare something to Drawn Together. That's just nasty.
cartman8213

Postby cartman8213 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:44 pm

The way they compared fox and family guy with comedy central and south park was genious.. and at the end what is seth mcfarlane and the family guys secret... will this be showed in the next episode or will comedy central puss out.

i also like how they made fun of family guy's humor all being just flashbacks
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
rankorder

Postby rankorder » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:47 pm

nojo wrote:I may agree with you, but I would never stoop so low as to compare something to Drawn Together. That's just nasty.

Yeah, that's like saying the band Tool sounds like (put band's name here).

South Park has earned its own brand and style. Saying otherwise may result in the schooling and/or beat down.

If you think I'm joking, just listen to "Hooker with a Penis" or watch last night's episode again.
Draco888

Postby Draco888 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:00 pm

Cartoon Wars is definately opne of the best episodes of the past two seasons imo.

I just love the Kyle/Cartman interaction.

And it was filled with all kinds of double and even tripple meanings.
referring to the muslim cartoon-crisis,Scientology and their own jokes about akll religions at the same time for example.

And you just know Cartman is up to no good when is so political correct all of a sudden :D

I cant wait for part 2.
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:12 pm

I give it a 7/10. The only time I found myself laughing was when they were showing the parody of Family Guy. For the people who are saying this is one of the best episodes, then you either really hate Family Guy, really feel strongly about censorship or haven't seen many other episodes. But that's just my opinion.
Remember... the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is!
Corn Wallace

Postby Corn Wallace » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:23 pm

vdmeer wrote:i really loved this episode :o can't wait for next week, i hope the writers are crab people, maybe its predictable but it would be hilarious.

I also had a question... What song was the one you heard on the end of the epsiode at the "next week on southpark" part where the newsreporter was talking? i thought it was a soundrack of a movie but can't remember which one..

The music is from Team America
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:31 pm

^^^

Track 14 on the Team America Soundtrack; "Putting a Jihad on You"; starting at about 1:10.

I instantly recognized it as Team America, but I had to play a few tracks to remember which one it precisely was.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Knuerr2003

Greatest episode ever

Postby Knuerr2003 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:31 pm

This is one of the best South Park in years. I can see Matt and Tray doing what ever they really want with this episode. Looking at how Family Guy was shown on this show it is almost what could happen to their next episode, but remember what Carman told Kyle that if he could end the next episode of Family Guy, Family GUy will be no more. So that could be Matt & Tray saying the same thing about South Park I do not expect any thing less than Tray & Matt finest work in years and with a cool message. And that message could mean a lot for a lot of people, but for me its saying Yes South Park better than Family Guy, no comparison. And yes Freedom of speach is still around and yes Matt and Tray once again want to continue to piss people off and be loved for it.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”