*1004: Cartoon Wars Part II*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

PKRWUD

Postby PKRWUD » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:34 pm

iceiwynd wrote:Pff, Chris, as far as I'm concerned, you're cool. That probably doens't mean much, coming from some lifeless 14 year old on the intarwebs

You'd be surprised. Thanks. :)
tootles131

Postby tootles131 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:27 pm

Balls. Big ones. And they got em.
Part of me hopes the guys don't make the other half and blame tom again =) Then again I really wanna see the 'real' family guy writers heheh

I think it's awesome that the guys are willing to stand up and make a point. Just because they are now just being blindingly obvious with the political humor doesn't mean it's anything new for them...

...did anyone make a point of finding out anything about Ayn Rand :?:

That was as early as season 2...

My guess is that's why they feel the need to be so obvious now.
MissingOctober

Postby MissingOctober » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:54 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote: People who think they are so much smarter than anyone else, because they read this or that suck.. That is another reason why I am not loving the direction South Park is going in, with most of the episodes being mostly about political or social issues..It is attracting people to the board who are snotty, condecending, and maybe a little too proud of how intellectual they are.

I know. Everyone is talking about the direction South Park is going, I love the older, more random episodes. Seriously. I can't recall where I heard it, but Matt and Trey said one time that the show is so open and random that they could do an episode about a mailman. Obviously they couldn't do that because just an episode about Terrance and Phillip got a bad response.

Seriously. Is this some kind of cry for attention? Matt and Trey have made it known that they don't get as much criticism as people think they do. No one truly complains about them. They want to shock and offend. They've said so! So, what the heck is with this battle against Tom Cruise and Isaac Hayes? They don't give a sh*t about Scientology! Honestly. All they want to do is rip to offend because for so long people have told them not to do this and not to do that. They couldn't rag on Scientology and they couldn't rag Islam. It all seemed like this very desirable barrier they had to cross and now that they've crossed it they're enjoying dragging it out. What the hell?!

Even though a lot of the episodes are so freaking hilarious, they're predictable! Lets admit it. South Park is predictable and isn't as random as it once was. Scuzzlebutt? That was random. "Have you ever seen the movie 'Contact?'" in the episode 'Tom's Rhinoplasty' was random. Nowadays this stuff they're doing, while political and seemingly for a good cause, is so freaking political it's erasing the amazing "wtf" factor that South Park once had. Trey said that he likes doing stuff that makes people go "wtf!" Nowadays I'm going, "That's so South Park." For once I'd like them to just surprise me. I want to say "wtf" instead of "Oh, sh*t! There's going to be outcry from the newbs and tweens again."
About_Three_Fidy

Postby About_Three_Fidy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:41 pm

Well i think they still are doing the "wtf" factor but in a diffrent way if south park was always like it was when it first started the would be nowere i think what they seem to do now is have a kind of serious story but then add somthing really stupid then end the episode without any of the characters every really learning a lession.
Just 'cause I'm new don't mean I'm new to south park.
SPF4L#1

Postby SPF4L#1 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:21 pm

As long as part II is as good as part I then I'm happy. Problem is, I doubt it will be, because I don't see how they're going to drag a whole episode out of what's left to be told in this story. The "heads in the sand" thing was great, but I don't see what else they can do with it. Also, I really hope the Family Guy writers aren't crab people. That would be far too predictable.
If you can be bothered...please check out this poll:
http://misterpoll.com/4270026923.html
MissingOctober

Postby MissingOctober » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:43 pm

About_Three_Fidy wrote:Well i think they still are doing the "wtf" factor but in a diffrent way if south park was always like it was when it first started the would be nowere i think what they seem to do now is have a kind of serious story but then add somthing really stupid then end the episode without any of the characters every really learning a lession.

Which makes it predictable, don't you think? You just described mostly every South Park episode after season 6 (in my opinion). Also, everyone knows the guys referenced Mohammed because they were the ones who put him in "Super Best Friends." "Super Best Friends" was their first attempt at Scientology. It was an indirect attempt b/c they made up all that stuff about David Blaine. Their attempt failed so they decided to bring it back in season 9. Now, here they are again bringing it back in season 10. We all know these recent episodes are about Scientology, but what most of us don't want to admit is that Matt and Trey have no real point in doing this. They don't truly care about Scientology. They want the attention because, lets face it, The Simpson and Family Guy get more recognition nowadays than they do.

I love South Park so much but, honestly, there aren't any truly die-hard South Park fans anymore. Most people have moved on. They'll always feel this loyalty to the Simpsons but now Family Guy is around and it's getting all the attention. "Oh, Cartman. Do you like Family Guy? I bet you would like Family Guy, Cartman." Above all I think the guys are jealous and just crying out for attention.
PKRWUD

Postby PKRWUD » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:39 pm

MissingOctober wrote:I love South Park so much but, honestly, there aren't any truly die-hard South Park fans anymore. Most people have moved on. They'll always feel this loyalty to the Simpsons but now Family Guy is around and it's getting all the attention. "Oh, Cartman. Do you like Family Guy? I bet you would like Family Guy, Cartman." Above all I think the guys are jealous and just crying out for attention.

Wow. Well, if you're on the money, then they really should hang out with me and my friends for a while. That would certainly boost their egos! I consider myself to be a die-hard SP fan, as are most of the people I can think of that I know that enjoy any of the three (SP/Simpson's/FG). Family Guy became boring last year when the tangents started running at least a minute long, each. Watching FG these days feels like you're watching a show where the writers simply ran out of funny stuff to write, so they doubled the length of the tangents just to fill space. The Simpson's is still clever, and I'll watch it if I happen to be in front of a TV when it's on, but it's no where near as fresh as it used to be. South Park, on the other hand, is still as funny as ever, IMO, and the storylines make you think, or at least they make me think, and that's always more fun than watching flashing colors on a screen. I plan my activities around when the new episodes are on so that I won't miss any of them, and even around the reruns because they're still more fun to watch than anything else that's on.

I totally respect what you're saying, but in my world, you couldn't be farther from the truth. Maybe you should hang out with me and my friends, too. lol.

Take care,
~Chris
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:45 pm

MissingOctober wrote:I love South Park so much but, honestly, there aren't any truly die-hard South Park fans anymore.

Speak for yourself. I happen to like the newer episodes, and I would say that I'm a die hard fan. Honestly, just because you don't like the direction that the show is going in doesn't mean that nobody else likes it, either. I like the political references. I'm big on political satire (that doesn't bore me or make me easily distracted, something both The Daily Show and Colbert Report have done for me, so don't tell me to go watch those instead). Yes, I like the randomness, and the WTF factor, but it's possible to include the WTF factor in political satire too. I just happen to like it. As far as I'm concerned, Family Guy lost it the second it was brought back and The Simpsons has gotten stale, but I don't feel that way about South Park at all.

So, yeah, I guess in short: Speak for yourself.
JimmySpliff

Postby JimmySpliff » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:35 am

MissingOctober wrote:
About_Three_Fidy wrote:Well i think they still are doing the "wtf" factor but in a diffrent way if south park was always like it was when it first started the would be nowere i think what they seem to do now is have a kind of serious story but then add somthing really stupid then end the episode without any of the characters every really learning a lession.

Which makes it predictable, don't you think? You just described mostly every South Park episode after season 6 (in my opinion). Also, everyone knows the guys referenced Mohammed because they were the ones who put him in "Super Best Friends." "Super Best Friends" was their first attempt at Scientology. It was an indirect attempt b/c they made up all that stuff about David Blaine. Their attempt failed so they decided to bring it back in season 9. Now, here they are again bringing it back in season 10. We all know these recent episodes are about Scientology, but what most of us don't want to admit is that Matt and Trey have no real point in doing this. They don't truly care about Scientology. They want the attention because, lets face it, The Simpson and Family Guy get more recognition nowadays than they do.

I love South Park so much but, honestly, there aren't any truly die-hard South Park fans anymore. Most people have moved on. They'll always feel this loyalty to the Simpsons but now Family Guy is around and it's getting all the attention. "Oh, Cartman. Do you like Family Guy? I bet you would like Family Guy, Cartman." Above all I think the guys are jealous and just crying out for attention.

FCUK THAT!!!

I am a die-hard South Park Fan.
The only show better, is MILF Hunter. :lol: :lol:
Killahertz9

Postby Killahertz9 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:31 am

With every new season AND every new episode, there's always someone who needs the stinky cheese to go with their W(h)ine.

*yawn*
cartman8213

Postby cartman8213 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:33 am

MissingOctober wrote:I love South Park so much but, honestly, there aren't any truly die-hard South Park fans anymore. Most people have moved on. They'll always feel this loyalty to the Simpsons but now Family Guy is around and it's getting all the attention. "Oh, Cartman. Do you like Family Guy? I bet you would like Family Guy, Cartman." Above all I think the guys are jealous and just crying out for attention.

Really? if south park didnt have anymore diehard fans anymore than why are so many people joining this board? Honestly, what casual fan would join a board for a show? i like the new episodes season 8 and 9 were my favorite seasons. and season 10 has been great so far. random humor gets stale after a while. just look at family guy :D
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:28 am

In my view, for any show movie or whatever, there are different types of hard core fans. You have some fans, who will watch any episode of their favorite show, even the ones they don't like so much. If the quality of the show drops, or if crappy sequels ( or prequels) to their favorite movie are made, they still will like it, because they feel they have to..In a way, they feel it is disloyal not to like every episode or every sequel of the show or movie they are obsessed with..

Then there are hard core fans who feel that it is extremely important that whatever show, movie, book, or whatever that is made featuring characters they love ,is done well. That it is a quality product that measures up to or exceeds in quality whatever they saw or read that made them fall in love with the characters in the first place. They also don't want to see drastic changes in the character's personalities without a good explaination. Alot of fans like this would rather have no new episodes or no sequels of whatever they love at all if they can't be done well, because seeing something they love degenerate into what they feel is crap is like a slap in the face to them. This is why alot of fans are not happy with the newer episodes of South Park, because it is the characters they care about, not the social issues. They don't like the changes, just as alot of Star Wars fans didn't like the changed Luca$ made by digitally adding all that crap to the original Star Wars trilogy. As well as making 3 prequels that were of bad quality.But, the point is, someone can be a hard core fan of something, but not like every episode of it.
Bill Casey

Postby Bill Casey » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:53 am

I love the newer episodes even better than the older ones...
The first four seasons are gold, and anything after that is pure platinum...

InfidelDog wrote:Amazing how many South Park fans have missed the point of the cartoon wars episode completly, and think its all about bashing Family.

Noone thinks that...
While I dont doubt that they take pleasure in a little Family Guy bashing, its pretty clear that this was in no way the main message in this two-parter.

Which is why noone thinks that...
A shame that the real message appearantly has ended up being overshadowed by a bunch of petty South Park vs. Family Guy bickering.

That's because "Family Guy" is a debatable topic. Almost everyone's in South Park's camp when it comes to censorship and religion, so it's hardly a discussion when everyone on here agrees. It'd be akin to debating gravity...

You're not getting it; while you're trying to get them to get it, they've already gotten it and you don't get that they got it, get it?
fizzinal

Postby fizzinal » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:43 am

Can't wait to see this episode. I always love hearing a bit of conservative comedy from CC after the daily show/colbert report blitz of anti bush anti establishment anti conservative crap. Wow another out of context soundbyte taken from a white house spokesman. Genious.

Anyway that was offtopic. Sorry. Back to the point:

I love the fact that the writers are taking up an issue that liberal media refuses to address: free speech in the face of violent religion.

Matt and Trey have always held that nothing should be out of bounds when it comes to comedy, and this issue seems to be no exception.

Whether or not CC allows the writers of SP to go through with their cartoon portrayal of muhammed is a moot point. What matters is that the issue has been raised and is in the consciousness of the american public (even the idiots who don't watch the news yet still have political opinions, like john stewart fans).

Whatever happens I'm sure this episode will be another knockout. Looking foreward to it.
fizzinal

Postby fizzinal » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:55 am

MissingOctober wrote:
M00ndragon69 wrote: People who think they are so much smarter than anyone else, because they read this or that suck.. That is another reason why I am not loving the direction South Park is going in, with most of the episodes being mostly about political or social issues..It is attracting people to the board who are snotty, condecending, and maybe a little too proud of how intellectual they are.

I know. Everyone is talking about the direction South Park is going, I love the older, more random episodes. Seriously. I can't recall where I heard it, but Matt and Trey said one time that the show is so open and random that they could do an episode about a mailman. Obviously they couldn't do that because just an episode about Terrance and Phillip got a bad response.

Seriously. Is this some kind of cry for attention? Matt and Trey have made it known that they don't get as much criticism as people think they do. No one truly complains about them. They want to shock and offend. They've said so! So, what the heck is with this battle against Tom Cruise and Isaac Hayes? They don't give a sh*t about Scientology! Honestly. All they want to do is rip to offend because for so long people have told them not to do this and not to do that. They couldn't rag on Scientology and they couldn't rag Islam. It all seemed like this very desirable barrier they had to cross and now that they've crossed it they're enjoying dragging it out. What the hell?!

Even though a lot of the episodes are so freaking hilarious, they're predictable! Lets admit it. South Park is predictable and isn't as random as it once was. Scuzzlebutt? That was random. "Have you ever seen the movie 'Contact?'" in the episode 'Tom's Rhinoplasty' was random. Nowadays this stuff they're doing, while political and seemingly for a good cause, is so freaking political it's erasing the amazing "wtf" factor that South Park once had. Trey said that he likes doing stuff that makes people go "wtf!" Nowadays I'm going, "That's so South Park." For once I'd like them to just surprise me. I want to say "wtf" instead of "Oh, sh*t! There's going to be outcry from the newbs and tweens again."

If you want random retarded humor you should probably go watch cartoon network. Shows like perfect hair forever and 12 oz mouse should be random and plotless enough for you.

Personally, I enjoy the tiny bit of conservative comedy in a sea of anti establishment bullsh*t. I also enjoy a plot that makes sense every now and then.

Randomness can be good, but not in every episode.

And I love love love love love seeing a good comedy show tackle a serious issue like this.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”