*1004: Cartoon Wars Part II*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

asleep

Postby asleep » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:58 am

Super Best Friends episode aired on Comedy Central.

My bet (and I'm never wrong), M&T planned to censor from the beginning regardless of whether or not they addressed Comedy Central on the matter.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:59 am

My five cents:

Quit, Matt and Trey. Walk away. You've got plenty of money, ridiculous talent and this is your perfect opportunity to end South Park with the kind of philosophical integrity you'd normally only find in fiction.

You made your point with words. Now live your point.

I love South Park as much if not more than anyone I know, but my mom always said, the third time you get f*cked in the ass should always be the last. Your show has been compromised for the third time. For what? Words and ideas. Words and ideas never killed anyone.

And to the people who would blame Matt and Trey or the executives at Comedy Central and Viacom for their responsibility in the deaths of people due to the airing of an animated depiction of Muhammad, I say you are wrong. Wrewwng! Ideas, jokes, cartoons, animations, these things never killed anyone. The people who are responsible are the people who did the killing. And them alone.

There is no idea so ugly that a man could should die for it. There are, however, actions that ugly. Like murdering innocent people for making jokes at the expense of your penis, or your mother, or your mother's sweet ass, or your prophet.

I love South Park, but Matt and Trey, I think you should walk away.

Remember Laverne and Shirley.

Love,

Dan

PS - But if you want to come back next week, that would be totally sweet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
Cannibal Lover

Postby Cannibal Lover » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:03 am

Matt and Trey can't just walk away because they signed a contract, nor does their integrity require them to walk away. They have made their position abundantly clear of what their integrity requires of them and that it was Comedy Central that refused to broadcast Mohammed, not them.
PanSavant

More food for thought

Postby PanSavant » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:03 am

While I said my last posting was my two cents, I went digging through my previous emails, and ran across this and want to share it to help fan the censorship discussion here. With some liberty, I will edit it for size, but will not construe the text to place something out of context.

Dear Viewer:

...We appreciate your concerns about the potential influences of outside special interest groups on the media and enterainment industries and particularly Comedy Central. ...As satirists, we believe that it is our First Amendment right to poke fun at any and all people, groups, organizations and religions and we will continue to defend that right. Our goal is to make people laugh, and perhaps if we're lucky, even make them think in the process. Despite misleading claims from those who would like to
claim victory, we have not permantly shelved [episodes] from future airings due to outside pressure nor will we exclude [them] from future DVD releases.

Sincerely,
Comedy Central Viewer Services

If you wish to send your own thoughts, questions or issues this is where I went to get this reply:

http://www.comedycentral.com/help/questionsCC.jhtml

It seems well reasoned and thought out comments/questions get replys. Just saying f*ck-you will get you ignored.

[now up to four cents]
--edit was to correct a typo--
Last edited by PanSavant on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
aeb1barfo

Postby aeb1barfo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:05 am

Somebody likes Tom Clancy.......... :twisted:
" f*ck, even in the future nothing works " - Dark Helmet, " Spaceballs "
MikeStupid

Postby MikeStupid » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:06 am

There's no way Comedy Central censored it. I think M&T did it themselves to make a point. Comedy Central caved into censorship pressure twice in the past year, of course M&T were going to make a statement about it. They even set it up last week with "will Comedy Central puss out?" Remember, the past 2 episodes were more about South Park and Scientology than Family Guy and Mohammed. If they would have showed Mohammed and let free speech prevail, it would have ruined the allegory.

That said, this was a great episode. The return of T&P and the fight sequence had me in tears laughing. I love how the promo set us up for a huge epic battle between Kyle and Cartman, but the actual episode just had them fighting like little kids. Classic.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:17 am

Cannibal Lover wrote:Matt and Trey can't just walk away because they signed a contract

So did Dave Chappelle.

And isn't continuing to earn money for the very people who are burying their heads in the sand somewhat a kick to the balls of your philosophical integrity?
Last edited by Aym_Dand on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
butters_me_up

Postby butters_me_up » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:17 am

I think it's pretty clear CC had them censor the ep. There's one easy way to find out, though. Within a week, the episode will be going up on iTunes. If the iTunes version is censored, we know it was "part of the story". However, I'm pretty sure it won't be, and we'll know CC had it censored because they no longer want images of Mohammed on the air.

It's pretty clear what went on. Why slip in the name "Doug" on the appeal? It was an actual appeal for them to not censor the episode.
ikesdaman

Pretty Sad...

Postby ikesdaman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:18 am

...All this 'bashing' of 'Family Guy'.
Hey, I love BOTH shows...it IS possible, after all.

'South Park' is where I turn for BRILLIANT social satire and commentary on current events...and to see how evil Cartman will be this week, or course.

'Family Guy' is where I turn for pop culture references and funny assed characters (Stewie and Brian RULE...PERIOD.)
They are two completely DIFFERENT animals, these shows...but I LOVE them both.

I have heard in this forum that Matt and Trey 'hate Family Guy', and perhaps this is in part why they chose to 'bash' it as they did...however, their slams were not even based in reality, stating time and again how FG 'just uses unconnected gags that do not advance the story', etc...sure, they have those ridiculous 'cut away' gags that are NOT detrimental to the storyline...but to claim that the show 'has no real stories' is just wrong...an ill informed. All Matt and Trey did was make themselves look uneducated.

However, as has been mentioned correctly on this board, the episodes of 'Cartoon Wars' were not primarilly meant to 'bash' FG...they were satires on censorship, and pretty damn funny ones at that...I loved part one and part two, great stuff so far this season, and I hope they keep it up.

But I will continue to reserved Sunday nights for 'Family Guy' as I find it hilarious...in a totally different way than how I find 'South Park' hilarious...both are great, funny entertainments...

I've actually corresponded with Alex Bornstein (Lois and other voices on FG) regarding some fan art I did based on the show, and she is a wonderfully friendly person...which just adds to my liking of the FG show and staff.

'Can't we all just...get along?'...;)

K
Fake Shemp

Postby Fake Shemp » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:19 am

You people are insane. Comedy Central certainly made it clear to Matt and Trey days ago that they would not allow any depiction of Mohammed on their network, so Matt and Trey constructed the episode accordingly.

There is NO WAY IN HELL that Comedy Central would allow the show to accuse them of false censorship. Speaking from a legal standpoint, the censorship had to have been real, and the guys certainly knew in advance so they could incorporate it into the episode.
nojo

Jumping the Manatee

Postby nojo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:21 am

And now a word from the Loyal Opposition...

Enough of the navel-gazing.

They said what needed to be said (or implied) with the Chef episode, and said it very well. To devote another two episodes to the censorship issue feels like they're hashing a worn topic.

It doesn't help that both episodes were unusually dull. Part of that was the pacing -- it's not like South Park to pad an episode, but extended chases and slap-fights are just that. Maybe a single episode covering the issue would have been better. At least it would have been quicker.

It also doesn't help that the Danish cartoons (and American media wimpitude) have already been well played out -- South Park feels very late to the party on this one, which I guess means I'm just spoiled that other issues can be addressed almost up to the minute.

Yes, Matt & Trey should be applauded for being free-speech absolutists. But they've never let anyone off the hook for good intentions alone, and I see no reason to let them off the hook for misfired satire.

Better luck next week, guys. But please, don't make it about you again...
landamo

Postby landamo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:22 am

Very nice episode, the epic battle between Kyle and Cartman was just great. Then when Cartman asks Bart what was the worst thing he ever did. Overall a really good episode

And as for the censorship thing, well it's really hard to tell. It could go either way.
maxmcfrankin

Postby maxmcfrankin » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:25 am

I give it 3 Hurrahs. The highest amount of hurrahs to be awarded. Quite funny.
:-)
aeb1barfo

Postby aeb1barfo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:26 am

I've actually corresponded with Alex Bornstein (Lois and other voices on FG) regarding some fan art I did based on the show, and she is a wonderfully friendly person...which just adds to my liking of the FG show and staff.

Even the MANATEES?...Image
Last edited by aeb1barfo on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
" f*ck, even in the future nothing works " - Dark Helmet, " Spaceballs "
ikesdaman

Postby ikesdaman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:28 am

aeb1barfo wrote:I've actually corresponded with Alex Bornstein (Lois and other voices on FG) regarding some fan art I did based on the show, and she is a wonderfully friendly person...which just adds to my liking of the FG show and staff.

Even the MANATEES?...Image

:)
Somehow I KNEW someone was gonna say something like that as I typed that bit....

K
Check out my site for FREE South Park Games & Screensavers!
http://www.karcreat.com
"Bush doesnt make decisions based on facts...he makes facts based on decisions..."
-Stephen Colbert,-'The Colbert Report' 02-22-06

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”