*1004: Cartoon Wars Part II*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Coen
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:50 am

Postby Coen » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:21 pm

oldirtyperm wrote:I was referring to the National Review link, that was before the AP story was released, but I'd like to see Matt and Trey's comments.


Awww... I'm sorry. Is the liberal hippie all butt-hurt? Call the WHAAAmbulance.

Honestly. South Park is a great show, I just can't imagine what people like you, that find conservative blogs worthy of mental censorship, would be doing watching it. :roll:
w00t!
SouthofHeaven
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:43 am

Postby SouthofHeaven » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:22 pm

All I gotta say is, last nights episode was a stroke of pure brilliance.
Who's a jigga wha?
pitchblank
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:45 pm

Postby pitchblank » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:25 pm

SouthofHeaven wrote:All I gotta say is, last nights episode was a stroke of pure brilliance.


I've been trying to find the proper adjective to describe last night's episode... and for the first time (when it comes to South Park anyway), I think I've settled for... "beautiful".
oldirtyperm
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:44 pm

Postby oldirtyperm » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:29 pm

Coen wrote:
oldirtyperm wrote:I was referring to the National Review link, that was before the AP story was released, but I'd like to see Matt and Trey's comments.


Awww... I'm sorry. Is the liberal hippie all butt-hurt? Call the WHAAAmbulance.

Honestly. South Park is a great show, I just can't imagine what people like you, that find conservative blogs worthy of mental censorship, would be doing watching it. :roll:


I have no idea what you're so worked up about, why all the aggression? Who said anything about censorship? I was just saying I wouldn't believe everything I read there. I don't believe everything I read in an AP article either.
Paladoris
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:22 am

Postby Paladoris » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:33 pm

pitchblank wrote:
Paladoris wrote:As far as I know, the Muslim world (in the Middle East, at least) isn't even aware of the episode, and I'm willing to bet hard cash that not a single innocent (or even guilty) life will be taken because of this episode, nor would there have if Muhammed had been shown uncensored. There was absolutely nothing inflammatory about the prophet in either episode. And for that matter, neither was there against Muslims, and only hardly against terrorists. This is about domestic free speech, it's got nothing to do with Muslims.


Firstly, it took almost 6 months before muslims in the middle east caught wind of the Danish cartoons in Jyllandsposten, they were published in 2005 and sh*t didn't start happening until January this year. Word travels slow... South Park isn't exactly a staple on Al-Jazzeera, so I'd wait a few months before I'd look for any reaction.

Secondly, it's the very concept of depicting the prophet that is offensive and inflammatory, not the satire as such. For all they care you could draw a picture that glorifies Muhammed and portrays him as a hero, and they'll still get all pissy.

I dunno, dude. I'd still like to give the Muslim world a little more credit than that. The Danish cartoons were blatantly offensive to Muslims, and not simply because they depicted an image of their prophet. They depicted images of bombs strapped to the prophet's head (that particular cartoon, I believe, will be the one that goes down in history in association with the whole ordeal). That undermines the prophet and their whole religion. I hold out hope that unless Muslims are presented a skewed picture of the episodes, they wouldn't care much. But this is all speculation, and will remain so I think, because either way, Comedy Central DID puss out and stuck its head in the sand. No image was shown, so there's really nothing to get angry about. I wonder, if the image had been shown, and Muslims did get up in arms about it, if the situation may have been the catalyst for a little more understanding in the world. Or perhaps mass destruction. Funny how some situations have both of those as possible outcomes.
Dr.Doctor
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:27 pm

Postby Dr.Doctor » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:41 pm

I kind of feel bad making my first post by piling on to this whole censorship issue, but i had a thought that i haven't seen really addressed.
It seems to me, before we can pass judgement on CC, we first need to know a bit about how the issue was brought to them. Did M&T walk in with the script for Cartoon Wars written and ask, "can we do this?" or did they go to the brass before they wrote the ep and ask "Can we show Muhammad?"
If the former is true, then I can kind of see CC's point. The episode was about censorship and free speech, and having Muhammad's image in an ep like that, especially in the 2nd part, when a lot of people likely tuned in just to see if they'd do it, seems a bit inflamatory and intentionally shocking. Of course, if the latter case is true, than CC is worthy of all the bitterness people are throwing around.
It seems, to me at least, like the latter case is probably not true. The only evidence for that is the fact that Muhammad appeared in the opening credits, in the big group shot next to the SP sign. There is no way CC didn't know about that, so they obviously consented. Also, all of the statements they have made today have been to the effect of, "we made the right decision," not necessarily that they didn't want Muhammad there.
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to offer up my $0.02
I don't know, but at least from now on, every time we look at the moon, we can know that Willzy-x is up there, dancing with the other zypods in his castle.
nojo
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:51 am

Postby nojo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:43 pm

pitchblank wrote:Firstly, it took almost 6 months before muslims in the middle east caught wind of the Danish cartoons in Jyllandsposten, they were published in 2005 and sh*t didn't start happening until January this year. Word travels slow...

This is a very important point, and one that often gets lost in coverage of the cartoons.

Word actually travels quite fast -- but it took months for the Danish muslim extremists to provoke outrage in the Middle East. If not for them fanning the flames, the cartoons would have been long forgotten, if even noticed in the first place.

In other words: It was a manufactured controversy.

The South Park take I would have enjoyed watching would have involved (say) Cartman publishing some obnoxious cartoons in the school paper, which nobody reads -- except some hothead (Kyle's mom?) discovers them and makes a big issue of it, causing more problems than the cartoons themselves.

Then again, they've already done the movie.
Joten
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:37 pm

Postby Joten » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:44 pm

But hey, the word on the Web is that an uncensored version of the episode has already leaked onto the Net - at least that's what I've read on some website. Is there anyone to confirm that, as I didn't manage to find an uncensored version so far?
vikingkong
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:39 pm

Postby vikingkong » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:48 pm

Paladoris wrote:
pitchblank wrote:
Paladoris wrote:As far as I know, the Muslim world (in the Middle East, at least) isn't even aware of the episode, and I'm willing to bet hard cash that not a single innocent (or even guilty) life will be taken because of this episode, nor would there have if Muhammed had been shown uncensored. There was absolutely nothing inflammatory about the prophet in either episode. And for that matter, neither was there against Muslims, and only hardly against terrorists. This is about domestic free speech, it's got nothing to do with Muslims.


Firstly, it took almost 6 months before muslims in the middle east caught wind of the Danish cartoons in Jyllandsposten, they were published in 2005 and sh*t didn't start happening until January this year. Word travels slow... South Park isn't exactly a staple on Al-Jazzeera, so I'd wait a few months before I'd look for any reaction.

Secondly, it's the very concept of depicting the prophet that is offensive and inflammatory, not the satire as such. For all they care you could draw a picture that glorifies Muhammed and portrays him as a hero, and they'll still get all pissy.

I dunno, dude. I'd still like to give the Muslim world a little more credit than that. The Danish cartoons were blatantly offensive to Muslims, and not simply because they depicted an image of their prophet. They depicted images of bombs strapped to the prophet's head (that particular cartoon, I believe, will be the one that goes down in history in association with the whole ordeal). That undermines the prophet and their whole religion. I hold out hope that unless Muslims are presented a skewed picture of the episodes, they wouldn't care much. But this is all speculation, and will remain so I think, because either way, Comedy Central DID puss out and stuck its head in the sand. No image was shown, so there's really nothing to get angry about. I wonder, if the image had been shown, and Muslims did get up in arms about it, if the situation may have been the catalyst for a little more understanding in the world. Or perhaps mass destruction. Funny how some situations have both of those as possible outcomes.

Actually the danish cartoons were not that offensive at all. The drawing of muhammed with the bomb on his head was a kick towards muslim extremists, using the words of muhammed to justify their terrorist acts. Unfortunately I have yet to see a muslim that actually got the real point behind the drawing, because their all too busy shouting and burning flags.
Paladoris
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:22 am

Postby Paladoris » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:49 pm

Dr.Doctor wrote:I kind of feel bad making my first post by piling on to this whole censorship issue, but i had a thought that i haven't seen really addressed.
It seems to me, before we can pass judgement on CC, we first need to know a bit about how the issue was brought to them. Did M&T walk in with the script for Cartoon Wars written and ask, "can we do this?" or did they go to the brass before they wrote the ep and ask "Can we show Muhammad?"
If the former is true, then I can kind of see CC's point. The episode was about censorship and free speech, and having Muhammad's image in an ep like that, especially in the 2nd part, when a lot of people likely tuned in just to see if they'd do it, seems a bit inflamatory and intentionally shocking. Of course, if the latter case is true, than CC is worthy of all the bitterness people are throwing around.
It seems, to me at least, like the latter case is probably not true. The only evidence for that is the fact that Muhammad appeared in the opening credits, in the big group shot next to the SP sign. There is no way CC didn't know about that, so they obviously consented. Also, all of the statements they have made today have been to the effect of, "we made the right decision," not necessarily that they didn't want Muhammad there.
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to offer up my $0.02

I actually think the exact opposite. Comedy Central should have had the balls to allow Muhammed if it were in the name of free speech. The cause gives it purpose. If M&T just wanted to show Muhammed for kicks, I don't know if I would allow that were I in CC's place. It would just seem pointless, given all that's happened.
iceiwynd
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:24 am

Postby iceiwynd » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:59 pm

So now it's gone from describing it as the Emmy Award Winning South Park to Peabody Award Winning? Heh.

And you know, Coen, getting overly aggressive when it comes to your point of view simply shows that you don't have much faith in it yourself. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, just how you're saying it. Only pointing that out.
Paladoris
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:22 am

Postby Paladoris » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

iceiwynd wrote:So now it's gone from describing it as the Emmy Award Winning South Park to Peabody Award Winning? Heh.

Well...yeah. I got a Most Improved Student award in 3rd grade, but if I won a Pulitzer or something I'd probably talk up the latter, y'know?
marklar-mike
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:04 am

Great

Postby marklar-mike » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:02 pm

It was a great episode, but can anyone please tell me what the hell Bart was doing in it? And the manatees? WTF!! Cartoon Wars Part 1 was a great start but 2 kinda killed it. I would have laughed if the writers were crab people or underpant gnomes but come on... manatees playing with idea balls. What were m&t on? geez... anyway I got one more complaint. They never returned to the scene with the heads in sand. They said that they would find out if there would be enough sand to bury everyone but they barely mentioned the people in the sand again in part 2. Anyway, besides these complaints... Brilliant. I just prefer part 1.
iceiwynd
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:24 am

Postby iceiwynd » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 pm

Paladoris wrote:
iceiwynd wrote:So now it's gone from describing it as the Emmy Award Winning South Park to Peabody Award Winning? Heh.

Well...yeah. I got a Most Improved Student award in 3rd grade, but if I won a Pulitzer or something I'd probably talk up the latter, y'know?


Yeah, I know. Just saying. I thought that to be kind of... "cute," for lack of a better word.

MM, Bart was probably in it because Family Guy is a rip-off of The Simpsons.
jrbungeetroll
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:04 pm

Postby jrbungeetroll » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:18 pm

...doubt it's true, but the rumor is going around that the uncut version is around the internet..
maybe someplace called demonod

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest