*1004: Cartoon Wars Part II*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

zzz345zzz

Postby zzz345zzz » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:33 am

Ok, i deifnalty think that Matt and trey had drawn the muhhamad joke knowing that it would get cuthis just mad eh joke funnier and got the point across better.

also as far as making fun of family guy goes, i think people took it too far. since stand and kyle represent matt and trey and cartman always takes the opposite side, its pretty clear that matt and trey think family guy is funny, vene though there really is not lot line. also the opening scene of ep 1 also pokes fun of sp by saying that and episode of the most vile and offensive tv show was going to air....family guy, when most pepple would say sp.
edgmatt

Postby edgmatt » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:37 am

I dont think the point is to retaliate, or be offensive. At the end of the episode, they showed people LITERALLY crapping on Americans, Jesus, and the American flag. Did this start riots in the USA, or in the Christian community? Of course not, and if it HAD, those groups would be ( and justifiably so ) ridiculed and born the brunt of a huge wave of crticism throughout the world. And that is the point.....if we can make fun of Americans, Jesus, Jews, Whites, Blacks, etc etc etc, why cant we make fun of Muslims? And we CANT because the Muslims act in a way that ANY OTHER group would never be alowed to act.
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:39 am

McMalakai wrote:Because in the case of "Muslim" mobs, the one doing the inflaming is not ignorant, but literate, educated and competent.

Oh, you mean like Republicans.

Point taken about the opportunistic cynicism of certain mullahs -- I think we're agreed that this was a manufactured controversy.

But I also think we do ourselves a disservice when we paint it as West vs. Middle East, or Modern vs. Medieval. We create a cartoon of our opponents, which only serves to obscure -- to us -- what they're really up to.

Human nature cuts far deeper than religious differences. Mobs is mobs.
edgmatt

Postby edgmatt » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:47 am

And its not about f*** the muslims, or Republicans or anything like that. Its about free speech, either you have it or you dont. Apparently we do NOT have the freedome to poke fun ( much less insult ) the muslim group. Yet we do have the freedom to poke fun at ( and insult ) christians, Americans, the french, Mexicans, Jews, gays.....etc. And the point ( i believe ) that SP is trying to make is that this is hypocricy, not to mention damaging to OUR culture as Free Citizens of a Free country.
Misty_Park_3R

Postby Misty_Park_3R » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:47 am

edgmatt wrote:I dont think the point is to retaliate, or be offensive. At the end of the episode, they showed people LITERALLY crapping on Americans, Jesus, and the American flag. Did this start riots in the USA, or in the Christian community? Of course not, and if it HAD, those groups would be ( and justifiably so ) ridiculed and born the brunt of a huge wave of crticism throughout the world. And that is the point.....if we can make fun of Americans, Jesus, Jews, Whites, Blacks, etc etc etc, why cant we make fun of Muslims? And we CANT because the Muslims act in a way that ANY OTHER group would never be alowed to act.
Nicely put, welcome to the board.
“20 yrs from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch trade winds in your sails. Explore_Dream_Discover” TWAIN
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:01 am

edgmatt wrote:At the end of the episode, they showed people LITERALLY crapping on Americans, Jesus, and the American flag. Did this start riots in the USA, or in the Christian community? Of course not, and if it HAD, those groups would be ( and justifiably so ) ridiculed and born the brunt of a huge wave of crticism throughout the world.

Give it time. It was four months before the Danish cartoon riots sprang up, after all...

Jesus is a prophet in Islam as well - Muslims could riot over THAT! :D
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
kyramairead

You guys are cracking me up........

Postby kyramairead » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:38 am

Thanks for your responses on the SP petition.........some great remarks :wink:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/supportsouthpark/
asleep

Postby asleep » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:18 am

Comedy Central will not change for a petition.
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:25 am

Meanwhile, back in 1969...

For those of you not born yet -- don't laugh, with any luck you'll reach my age -- the Smothers Brothers had a popular CBS show that addressed political issues of the day.

That would be the 1960s. People weren't just stoned, they were very, very angry. You had to be there. You want riots, let's visit Chicago. Or Watts. Or a few choice locations in the South.

So the Smothers Brothers program takes on these issues, and they keep running afoul of the CBS censors. Eventually they start delivering their episodes at the last minute, to give the censors less time to review them. And finally, CBS cancels them on a contractual technicality.

Different era, different show -- the comparisons are intriguing, if not precise. But just to amuse you, Viacom was split from CBS in the early 70s, and many corporate twists later, Viacom bought CBS.

And if you made it this far, a fun footnote: One of the writers for the Smothers Brothers? Super Dave.
Gary Bushwell

Postby Gary Bushwell » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:26 am

Misty_Park_3R wrote:Shame Shame CC. Does this mean we won’t be seeing super best friends ever again? Will this unjust censoring spill over to the dvd?

Its okay for them to release it on DVD, because none of the Muslim extremists even know what the hell a DVD is.
asleep

Postby asleep » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:28 am

Did anyone care to notice that manatee is a pun for M and T?
Shiny_Toy_Gun

Postby Shiny_Toy_Gun » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:37 am

MissingOctober wrote:
M00ndragon69 wrote: People who think they are so much smarter than anyone else, because they read this or that suck.. That is another reason why I am not loving the direction South Park is going in, with most of the episodes being mostly about political or social issues..It is attracting people to the board who are snotty, condecending, and maybe a little too proud of how intellectual they are.

I know. Everyone is talking about the direction South Park is going, I love the older, more random episodes. Seriously. I can't recall where I heard it, but Matt and Trey said one time that the show is so open and random that they could do an episode about a mailman. Obviously they couldn't do that because just an episode about Terrance and Phillip got a bad response.

Seriously. Is this some kind of cry for attention? Matt and Trey have made it known that they don't get as much criticism as people think they do. No one truly complains about them. They want to shock and offend. They've said so! So, what the heck is with this battle against Tom Cruise and Isaac Hayes? They don't give a sh*t about Scientology! Honestly. All they want to do is rip to offend because for so long people have told them not to do this and not to do that. They couldn't rag on Scientology and they couldn't rag Islam. It all seemed like this very desirable barrier they had to cross and now that they've crossed it they're enjoying dragging it out. What the hell?!

Even though a lot of the episodes are so freaking hilarious, they're predictable! Lets admit it. South Park is predictable and isn't as random as it once was. Scuzzlebutt? That was random. "Have you ever seen the movie 'Contact?'" in the episode 'Tom's Rhinoplasty' was random. Nowadays this stuff they're doing, while political and seemingly for a good cause, is so freaking political it's erasing the amazing "wtf" factor that South Park once had. Trey said that he likes doing stuff that makes people go "wtf!" Nowadays I'm going, "That's so South Park." For once I'd like them to just surprise me. I want to say "wtf" instead of "Oh, sh*t! There's going to be outcry from the newbs and tweens again."

umm, i thought tonight was pretty "wtf"
the writers were manatees, trey and matt did not lose it!
----------------------------------------
10, 9, 8 and I'm breaking away.
I'm all dressed up, ready to play

7, 6, 5, 4 and I'm all over you.

3, 2, 1 I'm having fun.
----------------------------------------
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:37 am

Missed gag opportunity?

"Begin episode jettison sequence 02-900."

Episode 902 is Die Hippie Die. Episode 912 is Trapped.

Yes, I am a geek.
butters_me_up

Postby butters_me_up » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:48 am

asleep wrote:Did anyone care to notice that manatee is a pun for M and T?

He shoots, he scores.
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:58 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:It is attracting people to the board who are snotty, condecending, and maybe a little too proud of how intellectual they are.

My friend the former art-school dean (smug alert!) used to enjoy quoting a line from Superman: "My wisdom is no match for your ignorance."

As a recent arrival on your planet, the abundance of snotty and condescending posts I've seen are anything but intellectual. More like "you're a stupid idiot for disagreeing with me" and "how can you be so clueless not to see the obvious".

What I enjoy the most are the posters who are arrogantly, magnificently wrong on the facts -- usually indicated by liberal use of the word "retard". I know I'll grow weary of them soon, but right now the fish are swimming in the barrel, and I just can't help myself.

Yes, some folks can be too intellectual for their own good, but I'm not seeing them here. Just a lot of people with honest opinions to express, and a few posers who are taking out their intellectual insecurities on the rest of us.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”