*1004: Cartoon Wars Part II*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

duncanralston

Postby duncanralston » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:11 am

The Super Best Friends episode went by unnoticed. So did the Danish cartoons, when they were published in September. It wasn't until February that the rioting started. People were incensed into rioting because of extremist religious leaders.
makki

Postby makki » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:40 am

duncanralston wrote:The Super Best Friends episode went by unnoticed. So did the Danish cartoons, when they were published in September. It wasn't until February that the rioting started. People were incensed into rioting because of extremist religious leaders.

This is in fact not true. Most Muslim religous scholers/leaders would ask for peaceful demonstrations, or written complaints, to show the west Muhammads influence on us. But mob mentality fuks it all up.

And why people saying SP didn't insult Muslims. NO SEX NO JACKING OFF and SAND. I think thats quite a big insult, but i take it in the context of the show, and that it's being said by a racist (Ms. Garrison), and just laugh.
duncanralston

Postby duncanralston » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:59 am

It was to my understanding that the rioting was provoked by a few religious leaders but were not sanctioned by the governing bodies. I may be wrong.
germanguy

Postby germanguy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:40 am

duncanralston wrote:The Super Best Friends episode went by unnoticed. So did the Danish cartoons, when they were published in September. It wasn't until February that the rioting started. People were incensed into rioting because of extremist religious leaders.

That is correct.

But there is a strong tendency against
western civilisation anyway,
which does not need any religious leaders.
"Meine Damen und Herren,
das Gebäude ist umstellt!
Kommen Sie mit erhobenen
Händen heraus!"
aeb1barfo

Postby aeb1barfo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:46 am

duncanralston wrote:It was to my understanding that the rioting was provoked by a few religious leaders but were not sanctioned by the governing bodies. I may be wrong.

Not only a few religious leaders, an ORGANIZED campaign, complete with ADDED cartoons and demogogery....

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Re ... p?ID=21345
" f*ck, even in the future nothing works " - Dark Helmet, " Spaceballs "
pitchblank

Postby pitchblank » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:18 pm

duncanralston wrote:And why people saying SP didn't insult Muslims. NO SEX NO JACKING OFF and SAND. I think thats quite a big insult, but i take it in the context of the show, and that it's being said by a racist (Ms. Garrison), and just laugh.

Sure, it's Ms. Garrison saying it, but satire is largely lost on these groups (as observed with the Danish cartoons), they tend to take things literally... :wink:

I'd imagine right now there's a whole cottage industry of fans out there working on their own version of Mohammed to fill the gap in the episode. I wouldn't rule out that this is entirely according to Matt & Trey's plan... why settle for one Muhammed cartoon when you can have hundreds?

"If anything, we should all make cartoons of Muhammed!" - Chris Stotch
makki

Postby makki » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:54 pm

M&T dont want to offend people.
They just want to have the right to do whatever they want that fits in with the show
bulrog2004

Postby bulrog2004 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:05 pm

iceiwynd wrote:And you know, Coen, getting overly aggressive when it comes to your point of view simply shows that you don't have much faith in it yourself. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, just how you're saying it. Only pointing that out.

that's right. respect everybody's autoritah, twice if you're a n00b.
RAppel

Postby RAppel » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:42 pm

And people say SP is dead!? That was one f***ing great EP!!
bulrog2004

Postby bulrog2004 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:32 pm

Olivia42 wrote:Amidst this whole "censorship" fiasco, I noticed an unrelated plot-hole:

Cartman didn't have to do anything more after he stole the balls out of the tank. If the writers don't work, Family Guy would be cancelled anyway regardless of whether the episode aired. Why did Cartman care afterwards?

Yes, I care more about the plot and the jokes than the message. I'm a bad citizen, aren't I?

the manatees could have several episode ideas "writed" before that incident.
cartman wanted family guy cancelled time ago, so he convinced the network president to act now, the religion thing was the perfect distraction.

asleep wrote:Did anyone care to notice that manatee is a pun for M and T?

good one. and removing and idea ball = breaking my balls?
Dragostea

Postby Dragostea » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:16 pm

I too find it interesting that they both went 'unnoticed' (ie. actual peaceful protests) until the new leader was elected who stated he had no desire for peace - then it seemed like all of a sudden "OMG's looked what they dids they drew the prophet like 5 months ago, oh noes we can't let that happen"
Dynamo of Eternia

Postby Dynamo of Eternia » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:18 pm

In regards to the Trapped and Bloody Mary episodes that were pulled, which many keep mentioning, does anyone know whether or not this will effect them in terms of being included in future DVD releases?

I saw them when they aired, and I can live with them not airing again as long as I will be able to eventually see them on DVD. If this will effect those releases as well, then I will be REALLY mad.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:29 pm

asleep wrote:Did anyone care to notice that manatee is a pun for M and T?

So therefore, Matt Stone and Trey Parker are the only animals who are completely unmoved by terrorist threats. :wink:

Dynamo of Eternia wrote:In regards to the Trapped and Bloody Mary episodes that were pulled, which many keep mentioning, does anyone know whether or not this will effect them in terms of being included in future DVD releases?

No frickin' way. Comedy Central has already stated they have no plans to "retire" any episode of South Park, especially for DVD releases.

You read it! You can't unread it!
aeb1barfo

Postby aeb1barfo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:34 pm

nojo wrote:Meanwhile, back in 1969...

For those of you not born yet -- don't laugh, with any luck you'll reach my age -- the Smothers Brothers had a popular CBS show that addressed political issues of the day.

That would be the 1960s. People weren't just stoned, they were very, very angry. You had to be there. You want riots, let's visit Chicago. Or Watts. Or a few choice locations in the South.

So the Smothers Brothers program takes on these issues, and they keep running afoul of the CBS censors. Eventually they start delivering their episodes at the last minute, to give the censors less time to review them. And finally, CBS cancels them on a contractual technicality.

Different era, different show -- the comparisons are intriguing, if not precise. But just to amuse you, Viacom was split from CBS in the early 70s, and many corporate twists later, Viacom bought CBS.

And if you made it this far, a fun footnote: One of the writers for the Smothers Brothers? Super Dave.

I'll cover your Smothers Brothers and raise you a " Laugh In ". Image
" f*ck, even in the future nothing works " - Dark Helmet, " Spaceballs "
Naivok

Postby Naivok » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:09 pm

This was a great awesome episode
the best so far this season most definately ! :D
Darth Chef: Hello there children, how would you like to suck on my chocolate salty balls.

SAC Leader: You mean like a chocolate candy?

Darth Chef: No, I mean my balls!!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”