*1004: Cartoon Wars Part II*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

handlyhamster

Postby handlyhamster » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:06 am

PanSavant wrote:
jaydollah wrote:...At the end of the day, a network has to answer to its advertisers, and do you think that in any way, a network is going to take the risk of losing them over something that caused such a huge uproar in recent months...

If I just may point out, at the end of the day, the advertisers answer to the marketplace, and the marketplace is dictated by the consumers they are targeting.

So the normal routine is if the consumers are pissed, the advertisers get nervous, and the networks will censor the content.

But what seems to slip by people, is that this can also work for the otherside as well. If enough people are pissed over censorship, the advertisers get nervous, and the networks stop censoring (and the FCC doesn't count in this case, unless CC is actually Over The Air broadcast somewhere).

Could this be one of the results M&T were hoping for?

[my two cents]

Advertisers are a small part of the revenue of SP - think of the DVD sales, all the little SP trinkets, and the fact CC is a specialty channel. What wholesome advertisers does CC have? Half the ads are for their own shows.
duncanralston

Re: Will the manatees show up next week?

Postby duncanralston » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:07 am

monster riles wrote:Why are we blaming the cartoonists (Danish and Coloradan) for the introlerance and violence of reactionary muslims? They're the ones who rioted. The Danes and Matt and Trey just drew lines on paper.

The reaction was extreme, granted. But the Danes were pricks for doing that. Did you even see the cartoons? They were the equivalent of putting Jesus in gestapo uniform and heiling Hitler.
What I mean to say is, you can't blame the religion for something a bunch of dickheads who happen to believe in it are doing.
handlyhamster

Postby handlyhamster » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:20 am

ok, read this:

http://www.maximonline.com/articles/index.aspx?a_id=2387

Ok. granted this interview is 7 years old, but at one time CC said no to Islam. I'm getting the impression that some people think that CC made the censor banners and stuck them in. Here's what I think happened:

M&T: were going to do a parody on what happened in Denmark with Mohammed...

CC: No we discussed this before.

M&T: Ok (whispering to each other, I have a sweet idea)

M&T weren't lying, but CC didn't throw that censor frame in either.

xboxgrl wrote:Comedy Central are the biggest f*ckers that ever lived. I will be seriously disappointed if Matt and Trey still choose to associate with them. CC sold out big time. Let's hope our buds don't either.
[/url]
handlyhamster

Re: Jumping the Manatee

Postby handlyhamster » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:25 am

[quote="duncanralston":03940][quote="nojo":03940]It doesn't help that both episodes were unusually dull. Part of that was the pacing -- it's not like South Park to pad an episode, but extended chases and slap-fights are just that. [/quote:03940]

Obviously you've never seen the "Cancelled" episode, where Kyle tries to stick a finger up Cartman's ass for three minutes... or the "Cripple Fight" episode, which lasts, well, as long as the fight from "They Live" from which it was "homaged".[/quote:03940]

Or 5 minutes of Hamlet in the Earth Day episode :)
handlyhamster

Re: Will the manatees show up next week?

Postby handlyhamster » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:40 am

monster riles wrote:The questions aren't about who censored what. Please stop arguing about who pussed out -- a giant corporation with a record of censorship or two Peabody winners.

The biggest questions are:

Are people worried about freedom of speech? Or are we too worried about security?

Would any network, anywhere, have broadcast a picutre of muhammed? Would HBO even have done it? Does that worry anyone?

Will the manatees stop working? (Matt and Trey don't like to be censored, and they've been censored a lot lately. Wouldn't HBO be a better home for them?)

Why are we self-censoring now? Will it get worse?

Why are we blaming the cartoonists (Danish and Coloradan) for the introlerance and violence of reactionary muslims? They're the ones who rioted. The Danes and Matt and Trey just drew lines on paper.

Since when -- I mean, since the dark ages ended -- has it been so dangerous to draw lines on paper?

Actually, johannus kepler was exiled for drawing eliptic cur es around the sun in the 1600's.. does that count?
Last edited by handlyhamster on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
igor.ibt

Postby igor.ibt » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:40 am

Paladoris wrote:I'm sure that M&T knew while making this episode that showing an image of Muhammed wouldn't fly, probably because of a policy that they as employees of CC are aware of.

I agree, if Comedy Central had allowed Muhammed to be shown it wouldn't have been as funny. The fact that Comedy Central did "puss out" only made Matt and Treys point clearer.
I have to admit thet when I heard thet Matt and Trey had signed for another (how many seasons?), was afraid South Park was going to become one of those anoying shows that have been on the air for too long. But I think they have pulled it off brilliantly, I didn't like The Return Of Chef that much, maybe thats just becouse I'm so sick of Star Wars parodies, but the Super Adventure Club thing was great. Smug Alert! was f*cking brilliant, but I think Matt and Trey have outdone themselves with Cartoon Wars. Definatly one of the best episodes ever.
..i broke the dam..
Joten

Re: This covers it all

Postby Joten » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:47 am

MadHadderall wrote:it's not smart to show it in the provoking way that Matt and Trey did it in "Cartoon wars-part 2".

WHAT???

Dude, Mohammad was just standing and handing a football helmet to Family Guy. What's PROVOKING in that???

Anyways, I'm still on the 12th page of the thread, so there's lots of stuff to read for me, but has anyone got any official info about who had it censored? Was it CC cutting out the scene, was it Matt & Trey including it in the script because CC told them that they won't depict Mohammed, or was it M&T just playing with us, as CC could have shown the Mohammed as well?
LBius

Postby LBius » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:52 am

Joten wrote:Anyways, I'm still on the 12th page of the thread, so there's lots of stuff to read for me, but has anyone got any official info about who had it censored?
Pretty sure it was just part of the joke, dude...

Edit #1
This week's episode was pretty... random. Not sure I liked this kind of randomness when I was expecting another still "preachy/full of messages" episode. But Matt and Trey are known to shock, and that they did.

Terrance is (still) fat...
Last edited by LBius on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joten

Postby Joten » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:09 am

LBius wrote:
Joten wrote:Anyways, I'm still on the 12th page of the thread, so there's lots of stuff to read for me, but has anyone got any official info about who had it censored?
Pretty sure it was just part of the joke, dude...

Yeah, but I'm asking for some official statement from either Comedy Central or Matt & Trey themselves (or, at the very best, from the both of them) :D

Not that I'm not believing you, is just that after a bunch of pages with inconsisted rambling I've seen dozens of guys that are "pretty sure" about their own opinion ;)

Would be really glad to know the real story behind it.

I've checked the ep frame by frame and it seems that there is no Mohammed shown - it's just a small silhouette of a character painted black - no face, no actual features. The question is whether it was intended to BE a character in that place but has not been shown for some reason, or is the whole joke made on purpose by M&T and Comedy Central has not been involved in it at all?

PS
A little bit offtopic, but I can't find any proper info - I'm outside the US, could anyone please tell me in which countries have "Trapped In The Closet" and "Bloody Mary" been pulled off the air? Is it true that in USA they will still be shown again?
monster riles

Postby monster riles » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:35 am

"Did you even see the cartoons? They were the equivalent of putting Jesus in gestapo uniform and heiling Hitler.

But we believe in the Muslim's rights to put Jesus in any uniform they want, doing anything. Don't we? We wouldn't riot, we wouldn't kill. We believe (I believe) in a Muslim's right to do just about anything except hurt other people.

"What I mean to say is, you can't blame the religion for something a bunch of dickheads who happen to believe in it are doing."

I'm not blaming the religion. Religions don't do anything. I sometimes wish Muhammad hadn't been so "no god but god" and "kill the infidels", but he's dead now. It's the people that follow him that have been causing trouble lately.

Code: Select all

Actually, johannus kepler was exiled for drawing eliptic cur es around the sun in the 1600's.. does that count?

Yeah, sure that counts. It's a great example. The Catholic church used to excommunicate and kill people all the time for drawing lines on paper. Thankfully, the Catholic Church mostly learned its lesson and stopped doing that. It learned that you have to let people go to hell in their own way. Hopefully it won't take hundreds of years for the imams to figure that out. [/quote]
LBius

Postby LBius » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:42 am

Joten wrote:PS
A little bit offtopic, but I can't find any proper info - I'm outside the US, could anyone please tell me in which countries have "Trapped In The Closet" and "Bloody Mary" been pulled off the air?
Australia banned "Bloody Mary" but that's because we're a bunch of tightass bastards... Trapped in the Closet was aired, and raved about, too :)
South_park300

Postby South_park300 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:44 am

You guys figured out the joke last week, by exchanging "Family Guy" for "South Park" for all the censorship metaphors. How come you guys are so stupid to figure it out this week? Replace Muhammad for TOM CRUISE.

Matt and Trey censored this themselves. End of Story.

South Park Studios needs to come out and say it, so all you whinies can shut the hell up.
monster riles

Postby monster riles » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:01 pm

If you think this is still about tom cruise, listen to Kyle's speeches. Notice how Cartman has a gun. Listen to what the president says about the First Amendment.

Then read a newspaper. There's more going on in the world than Tom Cruise and his silly little cult.
Tao!

Postby Tao! » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Great episode. It's pretty obvious that Trey and Matt did all this censoring themselves, come on.

I knew they were gonna use the Terrance and Phillip joke.
Msilveirauk

Postby Msilveirauk » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:16 pm

I saw the Danish pics and didn't see how they were offensive......

....... we must be looking at different pics!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”