*1004: Cartoon Wars Part II*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

pitchblank

Re: Re-air

Postby pitchblank » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:49 am

kyramairead wrote:I loved "Cartoon Wars, Part II." But I was infuriated by Comedy Central censoring the episode. What a bunch of wimps.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/supportsouthpark/

Hey now... it was essential to the episode, it completes the statement. It spoke volumes by being censored. The 'retaliation' with Jesus and Bush crapping all over the flag was 10 times more efficient because of it. This whole two-parter falls flat without that piece of censorship.

I realize this kind of thing can piss people off - but sometimes, silence is the ultimate way to get the message across. That black screen is the best possible thing that could be there.

In a way it reminds me of the whisper at the end of Lost in Translation. You can't hear what Bob whispers to Charlotte, which has infuriated some people to no end. Or the golden shiny thingy in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. Leaving something out, or open to interpretation, is apparently some kind of crime - but sometimes, the void is the essence.
super_cam

Postby super_cam » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:12 am

i don't know if anyone else has posted this, and if they have, i apologize for merely lurking and not reading, but....

THEY ALREADY SHOWED MUHAMMAD!!!! HE WAS IN THE SUPER FRIENDS EPISODE!!

He assisted in the creation of a Giant John Wilkes Booth, used to assasinate a Giant Abraham Lincoln.

That is all.
CoS_sux

Postby CoS_sux » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:27 am

super_cam wrote:i don't know if anyone else has posted this, and if they have, i apologize for merely lurking and not reading, but....

THEY ALREADY SHOWED MUHAMMAD!!!! HE WAS IN THE SUPER FRIENDS EPISODE!!

He assisted in the creation of a Giant John Wilkes Booth, used to assasinate a Giant Abraham Lincoln.

That is all.

Uh ya we know.
Im starting to think Matt and Trey didnt even want to show muhommad anyway.
Tom Cruise is my nomination for douchebag of the universe. :)
h8mewithurfist

Postby h8mewithurfist » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:28 am

yeah...alot of times...most recently on this very page...just scroll up...2 posts or 3 posts back...lol
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:37 am

Amidst this whole "censorship" fiasco, I noticed an unrelated plot-hole:

Cartman didn't have to do anything more after he stole the balls out of the tank. If the writers don't work, Family Guy would be cancelled anyway regardless of whether the episode aired. Why did Cartman care afterwards?

Yes, I care more about the plot and the jokes than the message. I'm a bad citizen, aren't I?
shazzaTPM

Postby shazzaTPM » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:41 am

Anyone who believed CC censored it themselves really don't understand Matt and Trey's humor.

It was nothing but irony, and very humorous too.

If CC were genuinely banning it, they would not say "Or will Comedy Central puss out?"

If CC were genuinely banning it, Matt and Trey would not make a two parter about an issue that was little to non existant until they developed it themselves.

And finally, we have seen Muhammad before.

It was simply a joke. Stop being retarded.
aeb1barfo

Postby aeb1barfo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:50 am

NOBODY can say tha Matt and Trey DON'T have (idea) BALLS...

" f*ck, even in the future nothing works " - Dark Helmet, " Spaceballs "
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:54 am

May I ask what showing Mohammed would have accomplished? Seriously, what would it have done?

And thanks, people. We're aware that he's in the opening credits and in Super Best Friends. Quit posting your messages of "THE JOKE IS ON CC!" because really it isn't, the point was showing him in the episode, not in the opener. There's tons of characters in that opener. You aren't going to look specifically for Mohammed when it first airs in that, are you?

And I'm still gonna believe that it was originally a part of the episode with pre-knowledge that CC wouldn't allow it until I see Matt and Trey themselves saying otherwise.

On a side note, Kyle is four for four (or three for three if you only want to include Cartoon Wars as one episode) with the message of the episode. If it had been Stan, people would have been bitching about how they're sick of Stan episodes. And people bitch about Cartman ones, too. Why is nobody bitching about Kyle? Hypocritical.

Still, I'm happy with Kyle's roles.
crazyQH

Postby crazyQH » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:25 am

iceiwynd wrote:
On a side note, Kyle is four for four (or three for three if you only want to include Cartoon Wars as one episode) with the message of the episode. If it had been Stan, people would have been bitching about how they're sick of Stan episodes. And people bitch about Cartman ones, too. Why is nobody bitching about Kyle? Hypocritical.

Still, I'm happy with Kyle's roles.

Hehe, that's what I love about Kyle, he can identify the message and still have a major role and humorous part in the episodes. Seems like up until season 8 or 9 Kyle's and Stan's roles were pretty even but then season 8 and 9 came along and gave Kyle alot of smaller parts. Now it seems there is going to be more Kyle again, even though he as kinda always been the one to identify the moral of the story.

Anyway, great episode. I thought it was funny through-out the whole episode. I honestly don't know why people are making such a big deal over the censored image of Muhammad, as pathedic and sad as it is, any station would likely censor it due to fear. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:37 am

Well, I am happy to say that it was the one episode of this season so far that I actually liked.. I loved Cartman telling the Bart Simpson like character about the time he fed Scott Tenorman his parents.

I think the whole thing with them saying on the episode that Comedy Central pussed out by not showing the image of Muhammad was meant to be a joke..I mean, they already showed Muhammad in Super Best Friends,and they already made their point about censorship on the episode through Kyle's speech..The joke was after the whole big deal about Muhammad being shown happened, we don't get to see Muhammad after all. Kind of like how we didn't get to see the battle between Heaven and Hell in Best Friends Forever last year.

As for the people here who keep bitching and bitching and bitching, as far as I am concerned, they can't leave this board soon enough.
Deuce Magnum

Postby Deuce Magnum » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:41 am

Yo guys, this is my 2nd post on this site (but i've been a fan from day 1). But back to the current topic of “what happened,” I wanted to try to shed what light I had on the subject. For the last few days I’ve been wondering what happened in that episode, I didn’t lose sleep, but it did bug the crap out of me. By coincidence when I went to my homepage to check my e-mail today, I looked at the current event stories and say M&T’s name. The article actually answered a lot of questions, and hopefully may put this bickering between SP fans to rest. The article basically said what someone in this thread predicted on the night the episode aired. It said that CC had decided not to show the image as of a few weeks ago. I will post a link to the article as best I can, forgive me if it’s long, I don’t know how to hyperlink as of right now. At any rate, feel free to respond with your thoughts on the article.

This should be it, enjoy.

>http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?id=12725804&ps=1005&cat=&cps=0&lang=en
JokerBrown

Postby JokerBrown » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:42 am

goddamn the entire message of the episode is so goddamn crystal clear, how can you not see it? I've seen like one person mention it and nobody aknowledged it.

Cartoon Wars is SPECIFICALLY talking about Trapped in the Closet and Bloody Mary. They aren't f*cking talking about danish Mohammed cartoons, that's just a side thing they mention for the sake of mentioning. Comedy Central pulled Trapped in the Closet and Bloody Mary from being shown on the network anymore, and Matt and Trey are calling them out on it. At the end of part 1 they even specifically mention Comedy Central pussing out. Comedy Central didn't censor the image of Mohammed either, Matt and Trey did. Jesus Christ, it's a joke. They're saying Comedy Central can and does censor some things, even if you don't know it. They're letting you know it. Kyle even calls the network executive Doug, when nobody mentioned that this was his name. My guess is Doug is someone who works at Coemdy Central who was responsible for the episodes being pulled.
You're drunk, Mr. Hat!
ncsu1

Postby ncsu1 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:04 am

^, could be.. its hard to tell.

anyways that was the best and most true analogy of family guy ..ever. it made so much sense.

awesome awesome two episodes.
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:35 am

Ok I've had my sleep (All 22 hours of it... lolz) And I've watched the episode again... and it's the best one. period

Here's a 'minute by minute' following of what I first thought watching the episode yesterday morning (Last night for all you americans/canadians)

00:01: Terrance & Phillip 'special':

"Hold on... what the f*ck are they doing? AAARRRGGGHHH! f*ckers!

00:01 Mohammed appears:

Hold on... hey... this is all one big joke... Is it??? ..............yay.

00:02 T&P are pissed at producer:

YAY! I missed T&P a lot... and Terrance is still fat! XD

00:03 Bart sitting down:

... *Explodes mentally with laughter*

00:04 Osama calls Family Guy 'totally gay':

Haha I should have expected that XD

00:05 Cartman & Bart discuss trying to cancel Family Guy:

Haha Cartman owned Bart there... XD

00:07 Litle Danny Pocket the terrorism victim:

Damn you Cartman you little deceiving bastard lolz...

00:09 The 'chalkboard' reference

LMAO I think Matt Groening will be pissed...

00:09 Kyle talks to Bart

Haha 'Look... my fat bastard freind' funniest Kyle moment so far this series

00:09 Bart knocks Kyle out:

'Cowabunga Mothafucker' XD

00;10 The Family Guy writing staff:

*Eyes Widen* Huh? And this is supposed to make me laugh how?

00:11 The Family Guy scene:

LMAO You know? M&T should make an episode with just Family Guy characters in :D (They don't need to put it in a series... just have it as a 'special' like half way through it when it stops)

00:15 Kyle & Cartman 'throw it down':

Finally... the moment I've been waiting for XD

00:15 They start fighting:

Ehh? I hoped they would really start beating the sh*t out of each other (Well Kyle beating the sh*t out of Cartman :P) But this is funny thugh :lol:

00:16 Time out Time out!:

Ehehe Cartman you little bitch...

00:17 "Hehehe... I had my fingers crossed":

Lol... Cartman... damn *Bart knockes Cartman out* YES! Thank f*ck for Bart

00:18 Cartman pulls out a gun:

Like someone else said... where does Cartman get guns from??? But anyway... Kyle looks like he's gonna have another speech

00:19 Kyle's speech:

So true... so true...

00:20 Mohammed 'appears':

Haha Like I just said... we need to see a whole episode like this... *Mohammed is cencored* ... LOL

00:20 The muslim retaliation:

LMAO LMAO Damn! Best part... *Catches breath* Damn... 'We BURNED you!' Hahaha... whoo...

Ok sorry if that's long... I've just went through the whole episode while typing that... but I felt like doing that.

More of this please... and a whole family guy episode too XD Damn that would kill me from laughter...
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
pitchblank

Postby pitchblank » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:36 am

makki wrote:Same thing with the Danish Cartoons, they got relesed in Denmark, no one even noticed. They get released in Norway several months later, and published on the internet. Within a month the magazine that owns the rights gains millions by allowing the worlds media to use the images.

This episode won't get the same negative reaction, because M&T are already rich. They made this episode for the message, and not for ratings or the money. The only way people would have found out, is if someone (usually the creator of anti-islamic propoganda) created a spam email telling people to boy-cott southpark and Viacom, which is highly unlickly.

Well, this would probably true if we were dealing with rational and literate people, but muslim mob mentality works in mysterious ways and the story gets added to and exaggerated several times over before it reaches the eye of the storm. For example, to infuriate the crowds further, the instigators added cartoons of their own making - one in particular that depicted Muhammed as a pig, thus pushing ye olde 'filthy animal' button - and attributed these to not only Danes and Norwegians, but Swedes and Finns as well (neither of which had published the cartoons). Ironically, in mass producing posters featuring the Danish cartoons and slapping these on walls all over the place, they rendered themselves guilty of the very crime they got all riled up about in the first place...

So, the story doesn't necessarily end with yesterday's episode. It may be picked up, exploited, misinterpreted, warped and packaged and sold as some kind of ferocious attack on Islam. "Hey guys, did you hear about South Park? Yes, it's true, the american infidels say the prophet muhammed likes to roll around in pig feces and stick pig dookies in is beard" etc etc. They'll think of something.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”