*1007: Tsst*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

handlyhamster

Postby handlyhamster » Fri May 05, 2006 8:02 pm

In most SP episodes it's always fun to identify the movies being parodied: In Tsst, I counted 3, but I think puking the black vomit is another reference. Here are the movies I've identified:

- SAW
- Good Will Hunting
- Contact

If you know of any others, please list them.
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Fri May 05, 2006 8:04 pm

Hrm as this seems to be everyone's claimed favorite of the season, I might judge it quickly because I didn't before. I just saw it as my weekly dose of South Park and didn't take it for more, but I will say compared to the others I found it rather weak in the humor department.

The nanny joke wasn't funny. It wasn't. I laughed very little this episode and it did not resemble the older South Parks in my opinion.

However, if you have ever read a South Park script, none of them are funny. They're tragic. The funny, as they say on the Team America DVD, comes in the making not the script writing and I'd have to agree. To quote "We can just write an unfunny script and then make it funny later."

However, this episode kept the tragic sense of the script which is unusual for South Park. I liked it in the sense that it was unusual, Cartman's mom wasn't even a slut this time, a lot of the expectations I have of the show were reversed and that's always refreshing but if the show continued this way for multiple episodes I would eventually lose interest.

South Parks' appeal is that the writers don't take themselves seriously, this episode took itself too seriously and it's nice once in a while, but I'd hate to see South Park turn into this.

And I've seen almost all South Park episodes so please don't give me the stupid "You're not a big fan!" speech. I won't be insulted because “fans” are just obsessive losers, but I have been watching the show for a while and this was not “Classic South Park.” as I know it.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
handlyhamster

Postby handlyhamster » Fri May 05, 2006 8:13 pm

good points Reb. I, however, found the entire show extremely funny. Here they are:

1) The initial reference to SAW, classic SP movie reference
2) The parody of Nanny 911
3) The Goodwill Hunting parody
4) The theme song to Super Nanny - total gold - parker needs to consider a career in scoring, cause he's a total musical genius.
5) The eating of the fesus - devil spawn reference
6) The parody and message of the Dog Whisperer (parents that treat their kids as "friends" instead of their children)
7) The entire emulation of the Dog Whisperer, seeing Cartman act like an out of control dog
8) The Contact reference, self realization complete with time hiccups "they should have sent a poet"
9) Elimination of cartman's third chin
10) The colonel KFC re-reference "Death of Eric Cartman"
11) The end game, where everything is set straight, back to good ol' SP - ready for run #2, S10

Yes, I agree this wasn't CLASSIC SP, but I like to see the evolution of the show. Btw, in 5 years, this WILL be classic SP.

Rebecca_Cutswald wrote:Hrm as this seems to be everyone's claimed favorite of the season, I might judge it quickly because I didn't before. I just saw it as my weekly dose of South Park and didn't take it for more, but I will say compared to the others I found it rather weak in the humor department.

The nanny joke wasn't funny. It wasn't. I laughed very little this episode and it did not resemble the older South Parks in my opinion.

However, if you have ever read a South Park script, none of them are funny. They're tragic. The funny, as they say on the Team America DVD, comes in the making not the script writing and I'd have to agree. To quote "We can just write an unfunny script and then make it funny later."

However, this episode kept the tragic sense of the script which is unusual for South Park. I liked it in the sense that it was unusual, Cartman's mom wasn't even a slut this time, a lot of the expectations I have of the show were reversed and that's always refreshing but if the show continued this way for multiple episodes I would eventually lose interest.

South Parks' appeal is that the writers don't take themselves seriously, this episode took itself too seriously and it's nice once in a while, but I'd hate to see South Park turn into this.

And I've seen almost all South Park episodes so please don't give me the stupid "You're not a big fan!" speech. I won't be insulted because “fans” are just obsessive losers, but I have been watching the show for a while and this was not “Classic South Park.” as I know it.
Phishpeaks

Postby Phishpeaks » Fri May 05, 2006 8:20 pm

I've read a lot of these discussions and all I can say is WOW.

Ok, like, you guys realize that Eric Cartman and his Mom don't really exist, right? Like, there is no debate whether or not Eric did or did not change BECAUSE HE IS FICTIONAL!!!!!!!

My, my. You are astute. :roll: How long did it take you to come up with that insightful observation. :roll: Stop thinking in such pragmatic, literal-minded terms.

Whether or not the words "literary analsyis" mean anything to you or not - I think you can safely assume that (most of) the people debating the motivations and actions of the characters haven't lost sight of the fact that these are fictional characters. We just realize that they - like all fictional characters and fiction in general - exist to offer insight into the non-fictional world that creates it.

But then you already knew that and were just f*cking with us, right? :wink:
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri May 05, 2006 8:25 pm

handlyhamster wrote:Ok, like, you guys realize that Eric Cartman and his Mom don't really exist, right? Like, there is no debate whether or not Eric did or did not change BECAUSE HE IS FICTIONAL!!!!!!!

So is Tom Cruise, but that hasn't stopped us.
Troll Whisperer
cartman8213

Postby cartman8213 » Fri May 05, 2006 8:52 pm

handlyhamster wrote:Wow. The dog whisperer on the other hand is real and is being sued according to todays news.

Yup. You can read about it here:http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/05/tv.us.dogwhisperer.ap/ Funny how it happened right after the episode.
hanldyhamster wrote:Ok, like, you guys realize that Eric Cartman and his Mom don't really exist, right? Like, there is no debate whether or not Eric did or did not change BECAUSE HE IS FICTIONAL!!!!!!!

Yes, we realize(at least I do) that Cartman doesn't exist, but there is a debate to whether or not Cartman will still be loving in the 2nd part of the season.
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
Stanley_Marsh109

Postby Stanley_Marsh109 » Fri May 05, 2006 9:33 pm

Damn, that guy spent $25000 on his dog? :shock:
I'm only happy when I'm in my misery...

Thanks to Mr. Hat_DX27 for the sig!
SirEricTheCartman

Postby SirEricTheCartman » Fri May 05, 2006 10:15 pm

My Future Self and Me,Fat Camp and now this, it seems fate wont let Cartman change...but that's for the better cos being a sadistic twisted fascist is what makes his character so goddamn funny!!!
Cartman uber alles
Wir mussen die juden asrotten

SmokeBomb446 wrote:SirEricTheCartman is officially THE best poster on this BBS.
NotAFanBoy

Postby NotAFanBoy » Fri May 05, 2006 10:22 pm

omg nojo.

Cartman WAS NOT BROKEN. He was STILL the same cartman he always was. He would NOT have tried to kill his mother if he were broken. For the love of fate why can't you understand that?

It was the fact that his mother pushed him that far, he wanted to break free of her control, that made him realize that all she was doing was trying to help him.

"Maybe all these changes are good for me". He started thinking that maybe he was wrong for not seeing it his mothers way. He realized that even though his mother WANTED him to abuse her before, it's not his choice to control her. That's why he didn't kill her.

When you are broken, you realize what you've been doing wrong. Cartman DID NOT change. He pretended to change to avoid getting pinched on the neck, TO GET WHAT HE WANTED.
Then he plotted to kill his mother.

When you are broken by a drill instructor, you do what they tell you to do. You don't resent it, because when you are truly broken, you realize that you are there to serve. It isn't about you.

Cartman resented his mother's dominance until the end of the show. That is why there is no way he could have been broken by anyone or anything. He simply came to grips with the fact that his mother didn't want to be abused by him anymore, and he was ready to start helping himself. That's not being "broken", because cartman doesn't really need to be babied all the time. He just takes advantage of his mother because she lets him.
Delition

Postby Delition » Fri May 05, 2006 10:28 pm

I kind of agree with NAFB on this one, but I can't take anyone seriously who starts their argument with "omg".
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Fri May 05, 2006 11:11 pm

NotAFanBoy wrote:omg nojo.

LLLLLLLLLike, oh my gawwwwwd, nojohhh. What are youuu, reTARdehhhhd?

Cartman WAS NOT BROKEN. He was STILL the same cartman he always was. He would NOT have tried to kill his mother if he were broken. For the love of fate why can't you understand that?

Black-and-white view number ten bajillion. This is not a two-sided thing here. You're reminding me of the teacher in "Donnie Darko" who gave her students cards explaining a character scenario and instructed the class to indicate whether the character in the scenario did what he/she did out of love or hate. Donnie objects, insisting that there is a whole spectrum of human emotion, but his teacher demands that he group his scenario's character in with one category or the other, and he very rightly tells her to shove the card up her ass. But I digress...

There is more to this than completely normal and completely broken. He was in a PROCESS of breaking; a slow deterioration into a different person. His cowering, weight loss, obedient teeth-brushing, willingness to wear different clothes--all indicative of a gradual transformation into a different person.

Like I said he was in the PROCESS of breaking, but he was not yet fully broken. His normal self retains an awareness; when he sees himself brushing in the mirror, and obviously when he plots to kill his mom, that is normal Cartman, aware that he is changing, but has not yet fully changed.

When he stands over his mom with the knife and has the battle with his conscience, that is the breaking point. The process of breaking has come to an end and he is fully broken. New, polite Cartman fully suppresses normal murderous Cartman. At the end, when Lianne is willing to please Cartman in exchange for his company, she inadvertantly begins repairing broken Cartman, and it is implied that her coddling will revive normal evil Cartman, who will overthrow polite Cartman.

So, for the billionth time:

1) Cartman changed, but it was a gradual change, during which normal Cartman retained an awareness that a new polite Cartman was slowly gaining control.
2) New polite Cartman won briefly, effectively breaking old Cartman, but Lianne foolishly begins repairing old Cartman, who we are left to assume will be strengthened to the point of smothering polite Cartman and resuming his normal life of being a murderous, hateful, spoiled little brat.

I agree with someone else here who said NAFB has some sort of attachment to Cartman. Face it, Notty, there are moment in "South Park" during which Cartman does not come out on top. He is not invincible, though he does put up a good fight.
Last edited by JDG128 on Fri May 05, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phishpeaks

Postby Phishpeaks » Fri May 05, 2006 11:14 pm

NotAFanBoy wrote:When you are broken by a drill instructor, you do what they tell you to do. You don't resent it, because when you are truly broken, you realize that you are there to serve. It isn't about you.

And this is exactly what Cartman's epiphany amounted to: A profound and deeply disturbing realization that the world didn't revolve around him.

Again, you're ignoring the cosmic implications of the CONTACT and ALTERED STATE allusions. Eric's fundamental view of reality (his unspoken assumption that the world revolved around him) 'broke' down. The Eric Cartman who was up early eating a self-prepared healthy breakfast and doing homework before going to school was a fundamentally different person. The only reason the 'old' Eric resurfaced was because of his mother's coaxing. The 'new' Eric hadn't had sufficient time to solidify his will and resist the 'tempation' to backslide before his mother caught him off guard and 'made him an offer he couldn't refuse.' If ya know what I mean.
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Fri May 05, 2006 11:24 pm

Phishpeaks wrote:Again, you're ignoring the [you]cosmic[/you] implications of the CONTACT and ALTERED STATE allusions.

Phishspeaks, I dunno if you're familiar with NAFB, though he's been around here for a few weeks in the Off-Topic Discussion forum. He believes "South Park" is full of subliminal messages which affirm his white Nationalist worldview. He stated elsewhere that he believes Cartman's "TV-fuzz" freak out in the hallway represented Cartman shaking off the programming of the Dog Whisperer and nanny TV shows, much like how he wishes all us TV-addicted "South Park" viewers would shake off our Zionist-Jew-controlled media programming and "wake up" to "reality."

I doubt he accepts the various film allusions as being necessarily interpreted as such.
Last edited by JDG128 on Fri May 05, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotAFanBoy

Postby NotAFanBoy » Fri May 05, 2006 11:27 pm

Phishpeaks wrote:
NotAFanBoy wrote:When you are broken by a drill instructor, you do what they tell you to do. You don't resent it, because when you are truly broken, you realize that you are there to serve. It isn't about you.

And this is exactly what Cartman's epiphany amounted to: A profound and deeply disturbing realization that the world didn't revolve around him.

Again, you're ignoring the [you]cosmic[/you] implications of the CONTACT and ALTERED STATE allusions. Eric's fundamental view of reality (his unspoken assumption that the world revolved around him) 'broke' down. The Eric Cartman who was up early eating a self-prepared healthy breakfast and doing homework before going to school was a fundamentally different person. The [you]only[/you] reason the 'old' Eric resurfaced was because of his mother's coaxing. The 'new' Eric hadn't had sufficient time to solidify his will and resist the 'tempation' to backslide before his mother caught him off guard and 'made him an offer he couldn't refuse.' If ya know what I mean.

Wrong. Eric cartman did not "break" under pressure. He realized that he became dependant on his mother. It was his own conscience that stopped him from killing his mother.

There are many references to the "do it yourself" mentality in this episode. One being cartman asking his friends to kill his mother, then realizing they wouldn't help him, he said he would do it himself.

As I said before, cartman doesn't really need his mother to get him things, feed him fatty foods and buy him toys, he is capable of being a normal child. But his mother WANTS him to abuse her and cartman takes advantage of it.

When he went through the tv-personality "breakdown", it wasn't a breakdown, it was cartman realizing that through all of his fighting with his mother, that if she didn't want to be a whore any longer he had no right to tell her otherwise. He did not want to be dependent on her to do everything for him. But he was not used to his mother not caving in, so it took him awhile to realize that he doesn't need his mother to do everything for him.

He woke up the next day, not in "reform" or "submission", BECAUSE HE ALMOST KILLED HIS MOTHER THE NIGHT BEFORE, but in the light that he was accepting the possibility of having to take care of himself from now on. Cartman is a fat tubby bastard and a user, but his mother feeds his addictions, because she is addicted to being abused.

He wasn't broken. He chose himself to make himself breakfast, it wasn't forced BECAUSE HE ALMOST KILLED HIS MOTHER THE NIGHT BEFORE. He wasn't conditioned, he wasn't broken, he REALIZED WITH HIS OWN MIND that he was being a control-freak, and that isn't what he wants. He CHOSE to study the next morning.

When his mother turned to him for the abuse after realising the dog whisperer wasn't going to abuse her, cartman snapped back into his former ways. Why? Because he has no reason not to.
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Fri May 05, 2006 11:31 pm

NotAFanBoy wrote:As I said before, cartman doesn't really need his mother to get him things, feed him fatty foods and buy him toys, he is capable of being a normal child. But his mother WANTS him to abuse her and cartman takes advantage of it.

See what I mean, Phishspeaks? NotAFanBoy is not right in the head.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”