*1012: Go God Go*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:33 pm

1. I loved how in the future the hardcore atheists still wore funny hats (ala the catholic church).

2. Though it's been said already, Ms. Garrison's evolution explanation was amazingly funny.

3. Sucks for Final Fantasy XII. They "sponsored" the episode and yet it was Wii-centric. (Side note: Matt and Trey must be sh*tting hundred dollar bills out of their ass-mouths by this point, and yes I'm f*ckin' jealous).

4. Richard Dawkins falling in love with Ms. Garrison was amazing. And Garrison's line "Do me in my monkey hole!" (or whatever it was), is ringing in my head even now. Monkey hole -- awesome. Almost as awesome as Dawkins motorboating Garrison's mangled man-tits.

5. Cartman's rejuvenation sequence was hilarious. The post-thaw "egg" that came down and then nano-disintegrated was my hardest laugh of the show.

6. Question: Why don't future atheists play video games? Doesn't seem like something you can only do if you believe in God. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Which reminds me...

7. TOTAL COP-OUT! That ending was a total cop-out. I refuse to believe this was meant to be a two-parter. The way that third act unraveled, I just got a strong impression that they said, "f*ck it, our ending right now sucks; let's give it another week."

8. I wonder if God itself will weigh in on this sh*t in part two.

9. For the record, I'm firmly in the Stan camp. I don't think Evolution and God are mutually exclusive. (Even so, I'm surprised no one in the episode took the anti-Garrison approach, walking around doing crazy sh*t willy-nilly because he or she was "created/intelligently designed" to act that way by God, who orchestrated the universe as such.)

10. Regarding the leaps of faith it takes to believe in science or religion (and there are faiths in both, as I've never seen a quark before), I guess you have to look at what those faiths have lead to. The best that has come out of religion qua life on Earth has been caring for the sick. The best that has come out of science qua life on earth has been the creation of buildings, irrigation, jet-propulsion et al. So in the end, while living on Earth, I believe it is more important to err on the side of science because while caring for the destitute is important, it wouldn't be possible without the scientific achievements that made it possible.
Last edited by Aym_Dand on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:34 pm

britneyspears wrote:yeah , I'm not saying that science isnt important.I just think its nearly impossible to find out what exactly happened , and why . I think people are going over their heads if they think theyll discover the secrets of the universe. Why cant we just have fun and not spoil our lives trying to find out why we are here. I believe we should just try to spend our days doing the things we want to ..

Well, for some people, that is what they want to do. Some people are fascinated by science and trying to discover our origin and the secrets of the universe. It may not interest you, and that's fine, but then there are those who are interested in this sort of thing. Whatever floats your boat, you know?

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:At least that's the way it was under the previous pope. He was quoted as saying "Evolution is more than just a theory." I swear, I liked him a lot better than the new guy.

Pope Benedict XVI weighed in on the "controversy" on evolution vs. creationism, saying that he had a problem with evolution because it allows people to become intellectually fulfilled atheists, or words to that effect. First of all there's nothing wrong with being an atheist, if that's what you choose. Secondly the fact that he would equate evolution with an atheistic belief says more about his incapacity to reconcile his views with scientific fact, than about any inherent problems with the theory itself.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10007382/
As you might expect, the ID-ers are praising him for it.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the new pope. Pope Classic is where it's at. 8)

Yeah, bad Jimmy joke coming back to haunt me... anyway, it's hard to take a religious figurehead seriously when he sees science as an opposing force to religion and therefore tries to hinder its progress. It's also sad that he sees evolution, and possibly science in general, as atheistic. Can a theist not believe in that which has been observed, researched, and in many ways, proven?

The theory of Intelligent Design is an interesting theory, but it has major flaws. At the same time, evolution doesn't explain everything. For one thing, how do these birth defects happen? How does a one cell organism have a two cell organism for a child? (A retard baby, if you will.) Natural selection explains a lot about traits, but it has to take eons upon eons for a single celled organism to become us. Hell, it takes longer than any person's lifetime will allow for a fit-for-survival trait to become dominant in a species.

To wrap things up, religion is a choice and one should respect a person's choice in that regard. Science, however, is the discovery of truth and should be taken seriously by everyone regardless of their religious affiliation. Science cannot prove or disprove God's existance. The reason for this is that God is of the supernatural. Science can only examine the physical, the social, and the psychological. It is for this reason that creationism and intelligent design are not sciences as they are based on the premise that all life, all things around us, are created by supernatural forces at work. That's not to say that all science that has ever been conducted is true and absolute, as discovery is a never-ending thing; new things are discovered which might alter or contradict what was previously believed. At one time, the Ptolemaic view of the universe was considered science until it was proven false.
britneyspears

Postby britneyspears » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:03 pm

"Well, for some people, that is what they want to do. Some people are fascinated by science and trying to discover our origin and the secrets of the universe. It may not interest you, and that's fine, but then there are those who are interested in this sort of thing. Whatever floats your boat, you know?"

i totally agree. i just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter.
Im just a regular dumbass , and i have my own way of enjoying life :D
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:07 pm

britneyspears wrote:"Well, for some people, that is what they want to do. Some people are fascinated by science and trying to discover our origin and the secrets of the universe. It may not interest you, and that's fine, but then there are those who are interested in this sort of thing. Whatever floats your boat, you know?"

I'm just a regular dumbass , and i have my own way of enjoying life :D

I don't remember that song.

And you're not just a regular dumbass, Ms. Spears. You're a rich, fat, idiot dumbass.

britneyspears

Postby britneyspears » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:12 pm

Aym_Dand wrote:
britneyspears wrote:"Well, for some people, that is what they want to do. Some people are fascinated by science and trying to discover our origin and the secrets of the universe. It may not interest you, and that's fine, but then there are those who are interested in this sort of thing. Whatever floats your boat, you know?"

I'm just a regular dumbass , and i have my own way of enjoying life :D

I don't remember that song.

And you're not just a regular dumbass, Ms. Spears. You're a rich, fat, idiot dumbass.

oh this is getting mean :D umm , for one im definitely NOT rich :D I've been eating nothing but microwave pizza's the last two months. :D secondly , im just a dude who apparently didnt invent the perfect nick for this site , sorry for the ones who actually thought they were chatting with Britney the slut . all apologies
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:16 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:At least that's the way it was under the previous pope. He was quoted as saying "Evolution is more than just a theory." I swear, I liked him a lot better than the new guy.

Pope Benedict XVI weighed in on the "controversy" on evolution vs. creationism, saying that he had a problem with evolution because it allows people to become intellectually fulfilled atheists, or words to that effect. First of all there's nothing wrong with being an atheist, if that's what you choose. Secondly the fact that he would equate evolution with an atheistic belief says more about his incapacity to reconcile his views with scientific fact, than about any inherent problems with the theory itself.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10007382/
As you might expect, the ID-ers are praising him for it.

Of course they are. Many supporters of evolution are atheists who want evolution taught with no mention of God anywhere. The Catholic Church maintains that God has a role in the evolutionary process, and for anyone to say that God DOESN'T have a role in it cannot hold to evolution and still be a Christian. If you're saying that scientific fact shows that God doesn't exist, then Benedict has a point. The pope, and the Catholic Church in general, has a problem with atheistic evolution. Now, we're perfectly happy to see animals evolve any way they do (and as you see in Cartman's future, sea otters have evolved to the point of challenging humans in war), but we maintain that without God, none of it would have happened.

That being said, the Church has long ago dropped its belief in a literal 6-dsy creation.
Last edited by Big-Will on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
tdewey

Postby tdewey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:18 pm

Aym_Dand wrote:1. I loved how in the future the hardcore atheists still wore funny hats (ala the catholic church).

7. TOTAL COP-OUT! That ending was a total cop-out. I refuse to believe this was meant to be a two-parter. The way that third act unraveled, I just got a strong impression that they said, "f*ck it, our ending right now sucks; let's give it another week."

8. I wonder if God itself will weigh in on this sh*t in part two.

10. The best that has come out of religion qua life on Earth has been caring for the sick. The best that has come out of science qua life on earth has been the creation of buildings, irrigation, jet-propulsion et al. So in the end, while living on Earth, I believe it is more important to err on the side of science because while caring for the destitute is important, it wouldn't be possible without the scientific achievements that made it possible.

1. I thought they were condoms for the "dickhead" atheists.
7. Don't agree. I assume it was same deal as "Do the Handicapped go to Hell/Probably." Trey & co. wrote pages and figured out they had enough for 2 (or 3 -- if the rumors are true) episodes.
8. I'm gonna guess not. As it wouldn't fit with the point of the episode. The point of having faith is believing in something that can't be proven.
10. Well --not to put too fine a point on it -- religion and science were pretty much one and the same up until 17th or 18th centuries. Religon has brought us art, education (Oxford and Harvard like most early colleges were founded to educate priests/pastors to be), literature, and western civilization generally. Science, on the other hand, has brought us the atomic bomb, weapons-grade anthrax, and etc.

Not trying to diss you here -- just pointing out that there's been good and bad in both. And frankly, on the whole there's been a lot more good from religion than bad.
Soylent Green is People
professor_butters1

Postby professor_butters1 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:23 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Secondly, to whoever thinks that calling evolution a "theory" makes it anything less than factual, remember that a theory by definition is comprised of many facts, and occupies the highest tier of scientific knowledge. The idea that gravity pulls things towards the center of the earth, or that the earth revolves around the sun; both are theories, but that doesn't make them anything less than true. Evolution is in fact a lot like gravity - we know that it happens because we can observe it, however the mechanisms are not 100% understood.

Finally someone said this. A lot of creationist defenders misuse the word "theory," which has a specific scientific meaning, and degrade it to meaning "it's *just* a theory."

~~~~~~~~

The Good:
* Ms. Garrison's lecture on evolution was just so in-character for her, and was a pretty funny exaggeration of how little creationists know (or care) about evolution. . . . * Ms. Garrison hearing about a new idea, taking it way too far, and then seducing Dawkins. You have to wonder how sincere Garrison is, considering that she went from one extreme to the other in a matter of minutes.

Yes, absolutely! I thought the real joke wasn't so much about evolution as the lengths some people will go to on dates. :D

* Professor Chaos and General Disarray! We haven't seen PC since episode 801. It looks like he's just using it as a dressup game though, rather than an alter-ego.

Probably, though I admit that I'm curious to see if Professor Chaos has anything to do with resolving the situation. I'm just happy to have him back.

The Bad:

* Yet another episode in which Kenny hardly got any part at all. I think he had like ONE line. Science damn it!

I wonder if they simply don't know what to do with him anymore. I really *was* expecting him to have a more active role last week, at least.

Well, we'll have to find out next week.

~~professor butters
NoSu

Postby NoSu » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:26 pm

tdewey wrote:
Aym_Dand wrote:
Not trying to diss you here -- just pointing out that there's been good and bad in both. And frankly, on the whole there's been a lot more good from religion than bad.

The " bad" dosn't come from religion or science , it comes from people misusing it.

I could say Religion + science = Very bad results. I mean you know what that anthrax is used for and all that chemical warfare from fanatical terroists.

To be honest you can't blame iether one, it's the people more than anything.

If we didn't have religion or science , we'd be hitting each other the head with sticks and rocks instead of bibles and guns.
ryan_mn1

Science proves there is something.

Postby ryan_mn1 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:39 pm

Okay, stay with me on this one.

The latest version of the Big Bang Theory is that everything (large enough quantity of matter and energy to be considered infinite) comes from an infinitly small area of space (small enough to be considered nothing.)

Dumbed down, that means:

Everything comes from nothing.

That is impossible as far as our understanding of matter and energy allow us to think.

This doesn't prove an existance of a god, but it means something spectacular had to have happen.

You can believe that God is dead, that he just created the Universe and left it alone, that he is Buddha, the Christian god, or a giant spaghetti monster, etc.

Evolution is the best answer we have to explain the rest of the story. That being said, people should be allowed to believe whatever story of faith they choose.

And with that being said, atheists believe somehow have faith in the nonexistance of a god, which is faith nonetheless.

They are idiots.

Which is probably the hypocrisy the South Park boys are probably going to try to hammer home.

Give the first episode a break, they needed it to set up a brilliant second episode.
MonkeyFishFrog

Postby MonkeyFishFrog » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:52 pm

That was a rather...unusual episode.

The bit with Miss Garrison explaining evolution was one of the best parts of the episode (along with the revelation that, in the future, factions of atheists are fighting other factions of atheists XD) .

And the sex scenes...wow. Didn't really need to see that.

And the ending was a definite "WTF?" moment. I am very interested to see what happens next week.
Last edited by MonkeyFishFrog on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:52 pm

tdewey wrote:1. I thought they were condoms for the "dickhead" atheists.
7. Don't agree. I assume it was same deal as "Do the Handicapped go to Hell/Probably." Trey & co. wrote pages and figured out they had enough for 2 (or 3 -- if the rumors are true) episodes.
8. I'm gonna guess not. As it wouldn't fit with the point of the episode. The point of having faith is believing in something that can't be proven.
10. Well --not to put too fine a point on it -- religion and science were pretty much one and the same up until 17th or 18th centuries. Religon has brought us art, education (Oxford and Harvard like most early colleges were founded to educate priests/pastors to be), literature, and western civilization generally. Science, on the other hand, has brought us the atomic bomb, weapons-grade anthrax, and etc.

1. Possibly. But funny hats nonetheless. Just like the dickhead Catholics and Jews.
7. So you're telling me at some point Trey said, "And then we'll end episode one with the sea otters!" If there was that much forethought put into this episode, I think it would have a title by now.
8. Fair point. But I'd still like to hear His take. I love that little squirrelopottomus.
10. I view science as amoral. Of course it all depends on the use, but it's inherently good in that it gives us tools to make life more enjoyable. But by virtue of affording enjoyment there is the inherent risk that they could be used "improperly". Forget atomic bombs, even air conditioners could be used improperly if enough assh*les agree to do it. But atmoic bombs aren't inherently bad if aliens start attacking. I tremendously disagree with the "more good than bad" religion argument, but for either of us to back up our claims would require much more time, patience and space than this board would be willing to permit or I would have the willingness to argue. In short, I have no problem with individual people having spiritual ideas. The part I don't like is "religion" where a bunch of people gang up together and proceed to enact the atrocities that inherently develop from groupthink. And I feel the same way about politics. I champion individuals, not groups, so it's not religion qua religion that I have a problem with -- it's "masses" (no pun intended).

By the way, I'm just trying to use the word "qua" as many times as I can today. Also, no disses intended on my part, either.

AssassinKenny

Postby AssassinKenny » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:18 pm

This episode was far too confusing for me to say it was a great one but it was still definately funny. It was okay but the worst this half-season so far and the multiple story lines f*cking rack my brain. Having Atheists, Cartman in 2546, and Stan and Kyle doing there thing is just too many sub plots. And to anyone who hated the ones making fun of catholics and such, I'm an athiest and I thought that the ep was pretty funny. Plus I hate the Nintendo Wii with a passion and Wii fanboys piss me off
Athena1999 wrote:AssassinKenny, I officially love you.

sig by Mr.Hat DX27, and that is me in that sig
tdewey

Postby tdewey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Aym_Dand wrote:7. So you're telling me at some point Trey said, "And then we'll end episode one with the sea otters!" If there was that much forethought put into this episode, I think it would have a title by now.

10. I view science as amoral. Of course it all depends on the use, but it's inherently good in that it gives us tools to make life more enjoyable. But by virtue of affording enjoyment there is the inherent risk that they could be used "improperly". Forget atomic bombs, even air conditioners could be used improperly if enough assh*les agree to do it. But atmoic bombs aren't inherently bad if aliens start attacking. I tremendously disagree with the "more good than bad" religion argument, but for either of us to back up our claims would require much more time, patience and space than this board would be willing to permit or I would have the willingness to argue. In short, I have no problem with individual people having spiritual ideas. The part I don't like is "religion" where a bunch of people gang up together and proceed to enact the atrocities that inherently develop from groupthink. And I feel the same way about politics. I champion individuals, not groups, so it's not religion qua religion that I have a problem with -- it's "masses" (no pun intended).

7. got me -- my only thought was why sea otters -- why not gerbils (i.e. Lemmiwinks XXXI)?

10. Yeah, I'm not willing to argue my point either. I'm much more interested in (a) The official name of this episode -- wikipedia is still going with Go, God, Go Part II -- which can't be correct; and (b) why are there rumours that this is going to be three-parter? There's only been one sorta-three parter (Cat Orgy/Two Men Naked in a Hot Tub/Jewbillee) and that was way back in season 3.
Soylent Green is People
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:37 pm

Another great episode for season 10. I thought that their would be at least one episode this half season that I would dislike. But,from what I've seen,I was totally wrong.

They tackled evoloution,atheism,time travel,and the wii all in one episode. And it still managed to keep me laughing throughout the whole thing.

My expectations for an episode are always high,but this episode just shocked me.

Nearly perfect episode.

FINAL RATING: 9.5/10

I can't wait for part 2.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”