*1012: Go God Go*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Kurbie

Postby Kurbie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:47 pm

I'm surprised at all the praise for this episode. I have seen every episode, and even liked the Pip episode and the Jackovasaurus episode, but I thought this episode was sh*t. The beginning was funny, with Garrison's explanation of evolution. But other than that, I thought it was pretty dumb.
ugogo_uswimswim

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:53 pm

onlymeee wrote: Publish a best-selling book or TV-show if you want people to care what your opinion is.

Do you happen to know which book has sold the most copies off all time? THE BIBLE. Hmm...imagine that, seems like a best selling book was already made...

Anyways, this is striaght from my dictionary:
THEORY: 1. A coherent group of GENERAL PROPOSITIONS used as principles of explaination for a class of phenomena. 2. The branch of a science or art that deals iwth its principles RATHER THAN ITS PRACTICE. 3. An EXPALAINATION that HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN TRUE. 4. A GUESS or CONJECTURE.

Now DON'T EVEN TELL ME THEORY=FACT! There's is no way to argue with Webster, he's always right. GOD, how idiodic can people get? [/i]
Art is what happens when you learn to DREAM!!! -Atlantis Squarepantis

The only good Slash is the one from Guns N' Roses.
LBius

Postby LBius » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:56 pm

I thought the ep encompassed everything South Park.
Current events: Creationism; Nintendo Wii
Silliness: Garrison's explanation of evolution; future storyline (damn sea otters)
Old and new South Park humor: Whole episode
References to episodes past: Initial sex scene was a copy of Eric Cartman Is Dead; Professor Chaos; Garrison calling things "retard"
Controversy: God is a Flying Spaghetti Monster
Music: Whole episode

All-in-all, this was a very good episode and I'm looking forward to part II.

Edit: The episode is also causing people to discuss -- and not in a "South Park is freaking disgusting, offensive" way. Intellectual conversation...

P.S. What's with the future atheists' heads. Looks like sex toys on Garrison's bed... Not too sure what that signifies.
P.P.S. When my pets die, I'm gonna try to revive them by ball-rubbing them. Damn that little scene had me in stitches!
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:03 pm

LBius wrote:
All-in-all, this was a very good episode and I'm looking forward to part II.

If LBius went and saw "Jackass, Number Two", the first he'd say afterwards would be: "I'm looking forward to number two!"

This episode WAS part II. (knowing there was never a part one(yet))

Stanley_Marsh109 wrote:
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN wrote:It would be great if they didn't finish the story and just ignored it, and made a normal episode for next week :D I mean it would be annoying, but hellah funny!

That would be an early Christmas present for me. 8)

Def. one of the better gifts this year :D
Spielautomaten kostenlos spielen durch meine Homepage!

DieAchse: Hier finden Sie Alles über Roulette online.

Ein Einarmiger Bandit macht immer spaß!
Hier gibt asSpielautomaten Spiele online!
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:08 pm

Big-Will wrote:Of course they are. Many supporters of evolution are atheists who want evolution taught with no mention of God anywhere. The Catholic Church maintains that God has a role in the evolutionary process, and for anyone to say that God DOESN'T have a role in it cannot hold to evolution and still be a Christian. If you're saying that scientific fact shows that God doesn't exist, then Benedict has a point. The pope, and the Catholic Church in general, has a problem with atheistic evolution. Now, we're perfectly happy to see animals evolve any way they do (and as you see in Cartman's future, sea otters have evolved to the point of challenging humans in war), but we maintain that without God, none of it would have happened.

That being said, the Church has long ago dropped its belief in a literal 6-dsy creation.

Except that it's not the role of science to take a stance on the existence or nonexistence of gods in the first place. Science concerns itself with studying the natural world through observation and experimentation. It doesn't set out to make assertions about worshipped beings one way or another, because after all we can't very much perform laboratory experiments on a deity. So there's no reason at all for God to be mentioned in a biology classroom; that kind of stuff should be taught at home or in a church where it belongs, not in public schools. It would actually be even more inappropriate for a biology teacher to state a specific religious or philosophical view, such as deism, pantheism, or guided evolution, because chances are there will be students of different religious backgrounds, and such views have nothing to do with the science involved regardless.

So the new pope is basically getting upset over nothing. (I've heard he also thinks that Harry Potter contains a hidden anti-Christian message, even though his predecessor read it and said he saw nothing wrong with it. :roll: )
ryan_mn1 wrote:Okay, stay with me on this one.

The latest version of the Big Bang Theory is that everything (large enough quantity of matter and energy to be considered infinite) comes from an infinitly small area of space (small enough to be considered nothing.)

Dumbed down, that means:

Everything comes from nothing.

Not necessarily. The Big Bang theory does not say that everything comes from nothing. A singularity does not imply that mass vanishes completely if you continue to extrapolate backwards, so there's no reason to say there was ever a point at which there was "nothing". Regardless, the Big Bang (as well as abiogenesis) is an entirely separate theory, and a separate scientific field, from the theory of evolution. Don't take this the wrong way, but I usually only see creationists equating them.
jockedahl

Postby jockedahl » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:17 pm

Was there a battlestar galactica reference in this episode?
I thought that the scene where garrison shows his breasts was identical to the battlestar galactica scenes between Baltar and nr6? It also included that music which you can hear on battlestar galactica.
Shiek927

Postby Shiek927 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:20 pm

I just saw the episode. The visuals looked gorgeous and Butters had a nice bit of screentime, but It's definitly really so-so:

-First off, The Garrison sex scene was going too far. Like when Mackey and Choksondik were having sex and when Garrison was getting the sexchange(first episode of season 9), I skipped ahead because even that was too much.
-The episode was also a bit confusing. I'm not sure whether this is M&T's idea of a non-political episode(is it?), but theres too much talk about the science and evolution theory that It wasn't funny in the smallest. The only thing remotely interesting was Cartman trying too get the Wii, everything else just felt all preachy.
-Not to flip out, but for christs sake, This is ANOTHER Cartman-centric episode. Really, It's just getting too the point that I'm getting sick of seeing him on screen and hope that he gets run over by a truckdriver. Really, He really shined in Tsst, but thats because there wasn't really a cartman episode before then for awhile. Since Tsst however, it seems every episode has too have him as the star. M&T might as well kill off every other character(oh god no)

But It wasn't all bad. Butters got a nice screenrole again and I was suprised when he went crazy looking for cartman. The Sea Otters were paticuarly cool as they reminded me of both the Tediz from both Conker games(The n64 game and xbox remake) and the Gungans from Episode 1(StarWars) as they live both under and above water.

All and all, I give the episode a 6/10. Really this whole second half as been disapointing. I was sure that after the first half which was so good(especially Tsst), the rest would follow. The WoW episode wasn't good because you had too play the game in order too understand(otherwise you just sat there with a "WTF" look on your face). Urinal Deuce seemd kinda "off" with the 9/11 thing, I thought Miss Teacher went too far when the kid was IKE(Though Dog/Eric was funny) and Hell on Earth could have been SO better.

Really all those episodes could have been better. It seems that all these episodes end abrutly and leave me thinking of a list of possiblities where it could have been so much better.

It's been said a million times, so no one will mind a million and one. WHERE.THE.FUDGE.IS.KENNY? At least he was actually in this one and got too say "What?" in this.
Last edited by Shiek927 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Through the years we all will be together...if our fates allow...

"Whats your name?"
"What's in a name?"
Kyle and Rebecca.
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:21 pm

Well, that was... That was. Huh.

Garrison definitely stole the episode. From botching evolution to flinging poo at Dawkins to disgusting tits. Great.

I've already stated my views on Evolution. I'll not get wrapped up in a long discussion repeating the same things over and over.

Did anyone else look at the future leader's hat and think "Choda Boy?" No? Crap.

I'm looking forward to Professor Chaos going into the future next week to rescue Cartman, or something like that. Who knows what the future, uh, or past may hold.
ryan_mn1

Postby ryan_mn1 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:39 pm

Not necessarily. The Big Bang theory does not say that everything comes from nothing. A singularity does not imply that mass vanishes completely if you continue to extrapolate backwards, so there's no reason to say there was ever a point at which there was "nothing". Regardless, the Big Bang (as well as abiogenesis) is an entirely separate theory, and a separate scientific field, from the theory of evolution. Don't take this the wrong way, but I usually only see creationists equating them

Don't worry, I think of Genesis as completely 100% metaphorical.

My point is that scientists (real scientists) don't bother worrying about how people will interpret things. They try to find the answers, and that is their #1 priority.

It goes back to Stan's point in the episode: Evolution is the "how" not the "why."

Scientists are not implying anything, they are just saying what happened. After that it is an individual's job to decided what that means.

I could look up all the math that explains the Big Bang, but it would be boring and over your heads. (and mine as well) But it does say that all of the matter and energy in our Universe originated from a point that was infinitly tiny. The theory conflicts with the ideas of how matter and energy can be compacted into dense objects, but it is how science views the beginning of the Universe. If we look at this from a common sense point of view, it becomes obvious that this is impossible, and therefore demands a metaphysical explanation.

You can call this "metaphysical explanation" God, Buddha, Allah, Satan... whatever. But to say that something beyond this physical world is impossible is idiotic.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:44 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:So the new pope is basically getting upset over nothing.

Pretty much, and US bishops have tried to tell him that intelligent design in the US is different from the teaching on evolution the Church has - that he's playing into the IDer's hands if he speaks in favor of ID.

jockedahl wrote:Was there a battlestar galactica reference in this episode?
I thought that the scene where garrison shows his breasts was identical to the battlestar galactica scenes between Baltar and nr6? It also included that music which you can hear on battlestar galactica.

There were two:
1. From a post on another board: "When they were in bed, and Garrison sat up over Dawkins, music plays which is very similar to BSG music when the cylon-in-Baltar's-head scenes are playing. Then Garrison used her charms to persuade Dawkins into doing what Garrison thinks is the best course for mankind (getting rid of religion), just how Six-in-Baltar's-head does that to Baltar. Then the scene ended in wicked sex, cue the end of the awesome BSG-like music. Pretty much how all Baltar/Six-in-Baltar's-head scenes go."

2. The woman you see at lower-right on the bridge of the second atheist ship is Erin Grey.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
MarkusFarkus

Postby MarkusFarkus » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:46 pm

I loved the Buck Rogers opening with Cartman. Perfect! The animators even duplicated the sloppiness of the original spinning effect (the image of spinning Buck/Cartman shifts over to the right a couple of times). I can't believe I even remembered that, but it was totally spot-on! Big ups to whoever decided to mimick that little tidbit. Now all they need is Erin Grey in a skintight bodysuit and I'm all good. (EDIT: Will, I gotta go look for that tonight!)

I'm gonna freeze myself for a week now to see part 2.
Last edited by MarkusFarkus on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:47 pm

ryan_mn1 wrote:The theory conflicts with the ideas of how matter and energy can be compacted into dense objects, but it is how science views the beginning of the Universe. If we look at this from a common sense point of view, it becomes obvious that this is impossible, and therefore demands a metaphysical explanation.

Well, if anything it demands that we keep asking questions and searching for answers, rather than throwing up our hands or jumping to conclusions. There is nothing wrong with using an abstract idea as a placeholder for something that has yet to be discovered, however it should never serve as a substitute for scientific inquiry. More is being discovered about the behavior of matter and energy on the quantum level each year, and there are several new theories that do not run into any contradictions. The next step of course is to test these theories experimentally.

By the way, Buddhism does not view Buddha as a deity. :wink:
DevilAngel16

Postby DevilAngel16 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:54 pm

This episode turned out to be really good. I enjoyed watching it very much. The episode altogether was nicely done.

First of all, the sub plot of Carman waiting for the Ninento Wii was pretty good. His impatience was quite blown out of proportion, which was funny. I liked the scene when he was awake lying in his bed, and when he glanced at the clock, only one minute had passed. Then he walked around a little while, and looked back at the clock, and only another two minutes went by.

And of course he couldn't take it anymore, so he came up with his 'awesome' idea to freeze himself for three weeks until the Nintendo Wii was realesed. Hehe...that is so like him to do that, and it was so like Butters to just go along with it and not ask any questions.

The other sub plot of evolution and creationism was really good as well. I loved Ms. Garrison's lecture on evolution. That had me laughing. "Then this retarted fish has butt sex with a squirell...and that makes you." XD Brilliant.

And, Matt and Trey said previously that they were planning on doind an episode on atheism, and they did. I liked the way they portrayed atheism. "Of course...it all makes sense now...God is a spaghetti monster!" That was great.

I was also very pleased to see Professor Chaos in this episode. When I saw him in the backyard with General Dissaray, I was like, "Professor Chaos!" We hadn't seen him since Good Times with Weapons, so I just thought it was a nice surprise to see him again.

Anyway, the fact that this episode is going to be a two-parter is no surprise to me. While I was watching this episode, and as it was getting towards the end, I kept thinking to myself, "There's no way it's going to end like this." There was just too much that was happening for it to be only one episode. I knew it was going to be carried on for another episode, and once I saw the 'To be continued' at the bottom, I just thought, "Ugh." I dunno it annoyed me; it just did. I guess it's because there already was a two-parter in this season, so I didn't really want there to be another one. Ah well. I guess it doesn't really matter.

I have to admit, the whole ending of the episode confused me just a little. I mean, wtf, sea otters? They reminded me of the manatees from Cartoon Wars Part II. XD

So...you know what I think (or am hoping, actually) the second part is going to be about? I'm hoping that the entire situation with Cartman being in the year 2546 turns out to be merely a dream. I mean, think about, how is it possible that Cartman is in the future, and yet the present is still going on? That just doesn't make any sense. It would seem logical if it all just turned out to be a dream. Like, maybe Cartman'll wake up and he'll still be buried in the snow...or something like that. I just think it'd be cool, and I have no idea how else he's going to get back to the present. Unless maybe he gets sent back somehow. I dunno, I guess we'll have to wait to see Part II. (Or, Part I rather, right? After all, this episode is called Go God, Go! Part II, so I guess the second part will be called Go God, Go! Part I...which I still don't understand.)

I find it ironic that on all other TV guides and websites, this episode has an official title, but on here it still says Title TBA. I guess it's best to just disregard it.

"...Oh my science." XD
hainted

Postby hainted » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:58 pm

hahahahahaha f*ck evolution
these guys put it in it's proper persepective

zomg,lol
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:07 pm

The show was just panning back and forth between the present and the future. It doesn't mean that they're both happening at the same time.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”