*1012: Go God Go*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

tdewey
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby tdewey » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:34 am

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:No, it's not. It exists only as an opinion on religion, and is defined as a stance on a belief.


Atheism may or may not be an "organized religion" when not attached to communism (opiate of the masses and etc) but it is a religion -- that is it is a belief system based on the non-existence of God. It's not a "stance on a belief" it's a belief.
Last edited by tdewey on Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soylent Green is People
Kyle the Skeptic
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:47 am

tdewey wrote:
Kyle the Skeptic wrote:No, it's not. It exists only as an opinion on religion, and is defined as a stance on a belief.


Atheism may or may not be an "organized religion" when not attached to communism (opiate of the masses and etc) but it is a religion -- that is it is a belief system based on around the non-existence of God. It's not a "stance on a belief" it's a belief.

Show me one reputable source that defines it as such. How can an absence of religious belief be a religion? Since when does an opinion constitute an entire belief system?
http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/a ... ligion.htm
I've only heard fundamentalist Christians who don't know any better refer to it as a religion.
Hippiecatcher
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:27 am

Postby Hippiecatcher » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:01 am

Randy4Prez wrote:The scene when Ms. Garrison and Richard are in bed talking about a world without religion reminds me of something... particularly the subtle but eerie music in the background and the way Ms. Garrison is talking. Also, so does the scene when Cartman is going into the future. I know that music is from something, I just can't put my finger on it.

Does anyone know either or both of these parodies?



I agree. It's familiar to me too but I can't put my finger on it. I have work this one out. It's bugging me.
Kyle the Skeptic
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:09 am

One reference they may end up using, and I'm not 100% sure about this, is that in Battlestar Galactica there is a group known as the Nietzscheans. Nietzsche was a well known atheist, and his works are among the most misunderstood and misinterpreted philosophical writings around. IIRC the Nietzscheans follow his words literally, as though it were their bible, and have implemented practices such as genetic weeding, and euthanizing the sick and weak. Of course none of this has anything to do with what he had actually intended, or would have agreed with, but it would be interesting to see if in episode 1013 the warring factions 500 years in the future have built a society like this.
Binsento
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:21 am

Postby Binsento » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:28 am

I liked this episode, being a Humanist myself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism) i also don't believe in a higher being. But i also believe that even though there weren't religions people would still be fighting over some other crap.

I always get reminded by Gullivers travels where he arrived on an island who were at war with another island because they considered the pointy side of an egg as the bottom instead of the other way around. The moral of the story was of course that most disputes grow from a very small misunderstanding or difference in opinion. So even without religion, there will still be wars going on.
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh
Xtrchessreal
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:09 am

Postby Xtrchessreal » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:22 am

Atheist with an allegiance to Science as a Religion.

That is what the ep was about. As some of you correctly argu that Atheist by definition does not believe in a superhuman entity. But, in this episode Atheists are aligning themselves with Science as being the truth. The reality of Science is that it is plagued by political and religious agendas and cannot be trusted as truth in many different areas of so called science.

Science itself fits easily in the genre of Politics and Religion. In the old days, early science was conducted by individuals that had a real curiousity about a particular physical property and studied these things on thier own having never made any money from it. These days you can't find a Scientist without a research grant or a lab built by big business.

:shock: Please don't argu about ethics here because that is just a nice word to use that really means "Money Worm Hole" that loops around the bad stuff and directly to the money source.
Seeing the LIGHT depends on which end of the Tunnel you are heading...
Adorno
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:59 pm

Postby Adorno » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:45 am

Xtrchessreal wrote:Atheist with an allegiance to Science as a Religion.

That is what the ep was about. As some of you correctly argu that Atheist by definition does not believe in a superhuman entity. But, in this episode Atheists are aligning themselves with Science as being the truth. The reality of Science is that it is plagued by political and religious agendas and cannot be trusted as truth in many different areas of so called science.

Science itself fits easily in the genre of Politics and Religion. In the old days, early science was conducted by individuals that had a real curiousity about a particular physical property and studied these things on thier own having never made any money from it. These days you can't find a Scientist without a research grant or a lab built by big business.


I totally agree with you here! You can't trust anything really because almost any data can be manipulated to fit a political agenda. Without religion there would still be wars, but the wars would be justified by politicians by use of science.

I put off watching this episode because I thought I would be completely annoyed by it. I'm an atheist and a big fan of Richard Dawkins, so I figured it would probably be a good idea to avoid it. I read the synopsis on Wikipedia, and realised I had to see it because it actually sounded good. When I watched it I enjoyed it (even though I didn't completely agree with Matt and Trey), it was a better episode than the last couple in this run and I'm looking forward to seeing the next one.
angeldeb82
Posts: 4114
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:42 pm

Postby angeldeb82 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:40 pm

I gotta tell you, that "Go, God. Go! Part II" episode was hilarious! I like the part when Ms. Garrison teaches the kids about evolution by scrolling through the evolution chart (she missed the first part, which is the cell part, but whatever), and I laughed out loud through her whole "retard-fish-frog-squirrels-having-butt-sex-with-monkeys" thing! I also laughed out loud when she acts like a monkey, takes a crap and throws her own crap at Mr. Dawkins. I also laughed through two sex scenes with Mr. Dawkins and Ms. Garrison (the second time, her fake boobs are revealed since "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina"). I also saw Cartman freezing himself to death (a la The Shining) and the part when the atheists of the future use the word "science" in place of "God" (as in "Science damn you!" "Oh my Science!" and "For the love of Science" (this is not included in the episode, but still)). I gotta agree with someone who likes it, this episode is the best! :cartmanlaugh:
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18816
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Postby Big-Will » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:20 pm

Randy4Prez wrote:The scene when Ms. Garrison and Richard are in bed talking about a world without religion reminds me of something... particularly the subtle but eerie music in the background and the way Ms. Garrison is talking. Also, so does the scene when Cartman is going into the future. I know that music is from something, I just can't put my finger on it.

Does anyone know either or both of these parodies?

The first one is Battlestar Galactica: When they were in bed, and Garrison sat up over Dawkins, music plays which is very similar to BSG music when the cylon-in-Baltar's-head scenes are playing. Then Garrison used her charms to persuade Dawkins into doing what Garrison thinks is the best course for mankind (getting rid of religion), just how Six-in-Baltar's-head does that to Baltar. Then the scene ended in wicked sex, cue the end of the awesome BSG-like music. Pretty much how all Baltar/Six-in-Baltar's-head scenes go.

The second one is Buck Rogers In The 25th Century.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
tdewey
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby tdewey » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:01 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:[
Show me one reputable source that defines it as such. How can an absence of religious belief be a religion? Since when does an opinion constitute an entire belief system?
http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/a ... ligion.htm
I've only heard fundamentalist Christians who don't know any better refer to it as a religion.


Dude. Denial's not just a river in Egypt. I know atheists like to deny they're a religon but believing that the Universe can be fully explained without reference to a supreme being is still a belief.

Last time I checked it couldn't be proven either way.
Soylent Green is People
Kyle the Skeptic
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:35 pm

tdewey wrote:
Kyle the Skeptic wrote:[
Show me one reputable source that defines it as such. How can an absence of religious belief be a religion? Since when does an opinion constitute an entire belief system?
http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/a ... ligion.htm
I've only heard fundamentalist Christians who don't know any better refer to it as a religion.


Dude. Denial's not just a river in Egypt. I know atheists like to deny they're a religon but believing that the Universe can be fully explained without reference to a supreme being is still a belief.

Last time I checked it couldn't be proven either way.

Calling atheism a religion is pure idiocy. Atheism is just the opposite of a religion. You have yet to back up your claims in any way, you're delving into an argument from incredulity, and your whole statement is nothing but a strawman. Holding a view that gods do not exist is not a religion, it is an opinion about religion. Get that through your thick head. There are plenty of things that any given person does not believe in, but those things do not necessarily mandate a system of belief in themselves. I don't believe in the tooth fairy, but that doesn't mean I have a system of dogma based around my disbelief in the tooth fairy.

Atheism isn't about proving negatives either, and regardless, if proof is even going to be a factor at all, then it's always up to the one asserting the positive. If I don't believe in gods, all it means is that I go about my life as though they have no effect on it. There are plenty of gods that any given person doesn't believe in; some of us just go one further.

Again, find me one source not written by a conservative Christian that defines atheism as a religion. Even a dictionary entry would suffice. Until then, you're just running your mouth.
Wonko the Sane
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:38 am

Postby Wonko the Sane » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:01 pm

You are my hero Kyle the Skeptic.

Disbelief in the Flying spaghetti monster or Santa is not a religion and neither is disbelief in god. Because one can't prove a negative it is the job of those making a claim to prove the positive, for this reason the default position on ANYTHING is disbelief until you see evidence otherwise.

All babies are atheists.
Grizim
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:57 pm

Postby Grizim » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:05 pm

Okay can someone please explain to me how the subject of whether atheism is a religion or not was brought up in the first place, and how it really matters?
Image
As enjoyable as abuse.
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18816
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Postby Big-Will » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:21 pm

Three groups:

the Unified Atheist League
the United Atheist Alliance
the Allied Atheist Allegiance (sea otters)

All invoking Science instead of God. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
tdewey
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby tdewey » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:44 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:You are my hero Kyle the Skeptic.

Disbelief in the Flying spaghetti monster or Santa is not a religion and neither is disbelief in god. Because one can't prove a negative it is the job of those making a claim to prove the positive, for this reason the default position on ANYTHING is disbelief until you see evidence otherwise.

All babies are atheists.


You're a moron and Kyle the Skeptic is only slightly less retarded (with respect to this argument -- you both may be math whizzes in other areas). Last time I checked infants were not capable of rational thought and thus not capable of holding a belief as to the existence or non-existence of God.

The flying spaghetti monster has nothing to do with anything and simply makes you look stupid. I'll give you a hint -- no one actually believes in the fsm -- people do actually believe in God.

As to KtS -- dude calling your religion an "opinion" is all well in good if that's what makes you happy man. But your "opinion" is a statement of belief. You do not believe in God. Yes or No? I assume the answer is yes. Can you prove your belief? Yes or No? The answer is no.

Your belief informs your actions just as my beliefs inform my actions.

You've got a religion dude -- whether you call it philosophy, opinion, or marklar.
Soylent Green is People

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SirMatthew and 2 guests