*1013: Go God Go XII*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Rhoq

Postby Rhoq » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:50 pm

Swede_Hanzon wrote:I liked this episode a LOT better than the last one. Everything was great, except the ending. That was so lame I couldn't even try to smile during the last minute. I looked kinda like Kyle during the phone talk scene.

It would've been a lot cooler if they brought back some classic south park stuff, like if Cartman would give a "I learned something today..." speech and we'd get a worthy finish on this great episode.

...But that's the whole point...

For the first time, ever - Cartman didn't get his way and on top of that he didn't learn his lesson. :wink:
PEACE--->Rhoq
benedictineacc

Postby benedictineacc » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:59 pm

Ah ha ha ha ha ha!

It is good to finally see atheists gets skewed on South Park. Like Trey and Matt said in their Nightline interview, they were getting tired of atheists who would email them and "claim South Park as their own" because of the way Catholics, Evangelicals, and Scientologists have been skewed. This alone made them targets, and they did get it in spades.

The best part was when the first atheist group said, "As the Great Dawkins taught, we are atheists and we have to be complete dicks to others!" LOL! That is so true. Though many atheists are not like that and have a live-and-let-live attitude, too many of them (especially the ones I know) love to go out and make fun of people's religious beliefs while extolling the supposed virtues of atheism. It is good to see them get a burn on this.

I cannot help but wonder if those who are claiming the epiosde to be lame and 0/10 are themselves atheists who are feeling the burn of getting skewed by Trey and Matt. Doesn't feel good, does it? Now you know how we Catholics feel. But like they said, either it is all okay, or none of it is.

Finally, did anyone notice that while there was no official God, the atheists were treating Dawkins like a god? With the portrait of him and the saying, "As the Great Dawkins would say," you can see how even atheists have the need for a god-figure, whether it be Marx, Dawkins, or someone else.

To paraphrase Cartman: Touche, Trey and Matt. Touche.
LBius

Postby LBius » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:01 pm

Currently watching it atm so I'll keep this somewhat short.
First part was pretty bad. South Park is supposed to be entertaining and it just didn't do anything for me. I mean, lately Matt and Trey have been geeking off (WoW, Wii and stuff) but this was pretty bad. I think their intention was to bring future lingo to the present. Didn't really work as planned and just seemed too RPGish. That, as well as repeated jokes made this part meh...

In contrast, the second part is pretty good. Decent laughs and the war is finally coming about. Only main beef is the Cartman-Cartman dialogue. It was good but dragged out a bit too long.

Current on part three now. I was hoping for Butters or someone to be the person who abolished religion. All that build up from the last episode for nothing.

Still watching.

Edit: Okay cool. Sex change op made things more worthwhile. Hmm... still in the future huh?

Edit 2: After watching it, I agree with everything I've put forward so far. First part was meh, second was better as was the third.
The main issue I have with this episode is that last week's episode caused SOOO much discussion about evolution vs. creationism. This week's episode was a way for the writers to just make an ending for it without going BACK to the initial story. Kinda like how Matrix 2 (whatever it was called) didn't really refer to Matrix 1 enough and went off on its own tangent.

I hate to say it, but this is ranked in the lower spectrum for this season. It had a lot of potential (especially the ostrich-riding and "Part XII" referencing) but for the most part, it fell flat.
Last edited by LBius on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhoq

Postby Rhoq » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:12 pm

abcbcdcdef wrote:sum-up: I really like the message brought by this episode, which I interpret them as,
1. Atheism wants to get rid of religin but it is actually a religion itself.
2. war causes are usually stupid things rather than religion
3. We should not play pranks on Jews or we may end up in the future
4. We must be PATIENT for nitendo Wi to come out!!!

I somewhat agree...

1. I think the real message about Atheism is that some people take it so far that, to them, it becomes religion. To praise "Dawkins" is to against everything a true Atheist would (dis)believe in. At that point it becomes nothing more than another religious cult, lead by Richard Dawkins.

2. To elaborate - the message here was that even without "religion" as a motivation for war, it is still a part of human nature. In the end, there will always be something to fight about, even in the name of "Science".

3. Or trust our lives in the hands of Butters...

4. Science H Logic. I want my Wii now, Science damn it!
PEACE--->Rhoq
Lazerith 444

Postby Lazerith 444 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:06 pm

benedictineacc wrote:I cannot help but wonder if those who are claiming the epiosde to be lame and 0/10 are themselves atheists who are feeling the burn of getting skewed by Trey and Matt. Doesn't feel good, does it? Now you know how we Catholics feel. But like they said, either it is all okay, or none of it is.

No. I'm an atheist (agnostic-atheist to be precise) and I really liked both these episodes. The message I got was "It's okay to be an atheist, just don't be a dick about it." I've seen Dawkins's Root of All Evil, and while I agree with him, he is kind of a dick.

Personally, I found the episode "Red Hot Catholic Love" to be far more offensive. Christians are shown as well meaning, if misguided, while atheists were shown as spewing crap with no redeeming qualities. There was no attempt to show atheists reallistically. All the parents became atheists in a split second, which is complete crap. Becoming an atheist is a long personal journey that takes years. Atheism was only thrown in for a few cheap shots and to give balance.
preachthepeace

EMPORER BUTTERs

Postby preachthepeace » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:52 pm

I think the episode would have ended better if they had made Butters feel so guilty of his lie to his parents that he vowed never to lie again in the future, maybe even make it illegal to lie... Butters could become President of the the World in 2030 and start a revolution of Honesty. Butters unites the world and beyond as pennance for Cartman's death that could have been prevented if he hadn't lied. He starts his quest in his classroom with the Honest Truth that we would need to teach our Children in schools, in churches, and at home. One Truth is that EVOLUTION IS A FACT and not fiction as half of the population believes. And if evolution is a fact, than the fact that there was no such thing as religion until MAN INVENTED IT goes to show the creative nature of humanity when faced with the Unknown. It is naturally Human to believe in such things as it brings feelings of happiness like Santa Clause does on Christmas Day or feelings of fear like Ghosts dancing in the Attic. But just as there is no such thing as Santa Clause, there's no such thing as God. And to honestly believe that God exists, to honestly teach that God exists, is quite honestly a LIE. That is how Butters and the Atheists can take over the universe... by being honest and not being dicks about it.

Butters, the bringer of Truth and Modesty to the World:

ALL HAIL EMPORER BUTTERs!

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :wink:
nec

Postby nec » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:16 pm

I thought it was a fun, but weird conclusion. Loved the continuation of the 'Buck Rogers' parody. Loved Cartman fighting with himself over the phone. Loved that Garrison got screwed over by Cartman - especially because of the fact that Cartman was really 500 years in the future.
Ænima

Postby Ænima » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Hey I was wondering if one of you could tell me what Cartman said at the very end of the episode? My Tivo cut off the recording right when Cartman's mom said something along the lines of "Who are you talking to Dear?"
Stanley_Marsh109

Postby Stanley_Marsh109 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:42 pm

South Park has gotten very preachy. It's beginning to sacrifice humor for politics. There weren't even that many jokes in this one, as they didn't have time because they had to explain the complicated plotline. The ones that were in there didn't even make me chuckle.

Hopefully next week's will bring this very iffy run to a semi-decent conclusion. Except for Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy and Make Love, Not Warcraft, this run has, to put it bluntly, sucked. :(
I'm only happy when I'm in my misery...

Thanks to Mr. Hat_DX27 for the sig!
djadonis206

Postby djadonis206 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:46 pm

Good episode, not the best of the lot but funny non the less

It's more logical to eat on your tummy

the sea otters was the funniest part - I like how they made it all "movie" like

anywayz - good episode, part 1 was funnier

I would have liked to see some more "real time" as opposed to "future" stuff but hey - this 2 parter will go down in history

I liked when Dawkins pulled out of Mrs. Garrison - that was classic

a
"...So Long Balls!"
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:49 pm

1008 was great. Don't even get me started on 1009. 1010 was hilarious. 1011 was OK. 1012 was kinda funny. 1013 was BORING. I'm hoping 1014 turns out good because it'll be the last.

Too much blah blah blah blah what the f*ck is going on ldjfsjflajfljlas in 1013
Stan and Kyle :)
SterileEyes

Postby SterileEyes » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:59 pm

Soooooooooooooooooo bad, boring, and lame.

People on this board always want a reason why others don't like an episode. My reason for not liking this episode is it simply was not funny. I don't mind the animation looking all slick except that the show itself was terrible. That was probably the most forced episode I have ever seen.

That two parter gets a 2/10 from me. A Million Little Fibers got a 5/10. The rest of the season's episodes were at least solid 8's.

Shame the first major flop of the season had to be a two-parter at the end.

I hope next week's finale is a classic.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:08 pm

Numerologic:

1.) "Science damn it" doesn't work because damning somthing is supernatural. I don't know if that was going for the intentional irony joke or just playing off the common God version, but that line sorta fell flat for me for that reason. I did, however, enjoy the "Science H. Logic!" line.

2.) While the sea otters were right that three A's are best, their name, the Allied Atheist Alliance, is redundant. Allied Alliance is like saying Religious Religion. So you're WRONG, Sea Otters! I'll kill you!!

3.) If anyone knows what piece of art or what style of art that picture of Garrison and Dawkins was, please let me know. That was my favorite joke of the episode. Beside the funny fact that it was Garrison, I LOVE the idea of the confident man sitting stoically while his sultry wife/lover/mistress is draped in cat-like sexuality at his feet. If that's not based on something already existing, superkudos to whoever designed it. Seriouslah.

4.) The resolution to this episode harkened back to what I consider to be the ultimate paradox of life. "Reason dictates that there is no one ultimate answer, but that makes the ultimate answer reason."

5.) Can anyone explain to me the "Are you a pepper? I'm a pepper too" prank call?

6.) Butters totally got mindfudged on the phone.

7.) While not a gut-buster, this episode was good enough. I would have preferred to see some way more unhinged butterfly effects on the future before the resolution and Cartman's zen-like reacquaintance with himself, but hey, I'm just one man. One awesome man.
Last edited by Aym_Dand on Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
Shiek927

Postby Shiek927 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:17 pm

Well, I saw the episode last night and finally got internet connection back, heres my review:

Pros:
- LOT better then the first part. The first part threw together too many things at once without really explaining anything, but this at least delves into the worldly atheist power some more.
- Once again, Major points for visual, this show just looks better and better and they're now showing more and more unique enviroments
-Great final message. I didn't think about it, but some people posted on the subject and they're right: Sometimes Atheists get too the point where they are pratically considered a religion(a religion/obsession with science) and consider any other belief but they're own false and blasphemous, but then again, some people of different faiths act the same way.

Cons:
-Strike one was with Ike having sex, Strike Two was sex last episode and once again, we're forced too see Garrison and Dawkins having sex. Do I even have too continue?
-Wow, last episode pushed it, but they really dropped the ball this time:Cartman was pratically on screen for almost the entire episode. Really, I know M&T have their little obsession with the character, but they might as well just kill of every other main person except him at this rate.

Theres also one more gripe I have, and no, this isn't about the supreme lack of characterization nowadays and the absolute lack of Kenny(Stan is slowly making his way down that road). Remember in Cancelled when the two green aliens said "A cartoon should never make it past a 100 episodes, or it starts too get stale with ridiculously stupid plotlines and settings". Back then, I was like "Bah!! Never!", but I'm starting too disagree. Perhaps in the vein of showing off the technology, the plots for the show are getting more and more away from the town and too somewhere else. For once, Can't we just get another LOTR-style episode that takes place only inside of the town instead of a sex-parlour in a different planet in another dimension inside Cartman's head while KYLE IS GETTING STONED?!(That whole thing was sarcasm if you didn't catch that.)

I grant it a 8/10, alot better then last weeks. Heres to a holiday episode next week!
Through the years we all will be together...if our fates allow...

"Whats your name?"
"What's in a name?"
Kyle and Rebecca.
Rhoq

Postby Rhoq » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:19 pm

Aym_Dand wrote:5.) Can anyone explain to me the "Are you a pepper? I'm a pepper too" prank call?

In the 1970s and early 1980s the advertising campaign/slogan for Dr. Pepper had a jingle...

I'm a Pepper
He's a Pepper
She's a Pepper
We're a Pepper
Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too?

It was quite popular during it's time.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”