*1014: Stanley's Cup*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

wildthing2022000

Postby wildthing2022000 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:23 am

I loved this episode, I always enjoy a good game of hockey. :lol:

"let them play, let them play, let them play"

Great way to end season 10
brantw3000

Postby brantw3000 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:40 am

Are you guys joking with these reviews of the episode? I can't tell...The one guy asking all the serious questions about why this stuff happened? Are you guys for real? Seriously....Watch out for the Stingrays.
nojo

Postby nojo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:51 am

Good episode, lame ending. And by "lame", I mean that it could have used one of those last-second sardonic comments, or some final twist. The joke about the Red Wings winning was already established.

I'll agree with other commenters about the Steve Irwin jokes -- not that they were in bad taste, or "too soon", but that they were repetitive. After Steve Irwin in Hell, the subject is closed.

As for Mighty Ducks -- oh, come on. That may have been the immediate model, but the episode was ragging on every sports movie ever made. "Win one for the Gipper" predates all of us, kids.

And for the season -- the usual mix of great episodes, a couple of bummers, and decent-enough attempts. They're not brilliant every week, but even when they're bad, it's not because the boys are slacking. When Matt & Trey start phoning it in, that's when I'll check out.
Troll Whisperer
HeyJo

Postby HeyJo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:54 am

SUCKY EPISODE. Stan is not funny.
Where was Cartman and Butters and the other funny boys??? :cry:
Stanley_Marsh109

Postby Stanley_Marsh109 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:57 am

Meh. That one was okay. It had its moments of humor, but also its dragging points. Although there is a cliche of how sports movies are written, the satirizing it wasn't all that funny. I loved the Rob Schneider guy, great reference to BDITU. The ending was pretty dark, but not unexpected.

Anybody see the resemblance of the sports announcers to the Chinese ones in Conjoined Fetus Lady?

All in all the best episodes of this run IMO were Make Love, Not Warcraft, Hell on Earth 2006, Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy, and this one. And none of those are classics. This has been a sadly lacking run, probably the worst of all time. Mystery of the Urinal Deuce ran on one gag and was too convoluted to have much humor, and the Go God Go eps were easily the worst, right on par with A Million Little Fibers. This whole run got depressingly few laughs or even chuckles out of me.

This run's rating: 6/10

And with that, I will wish you all goodbye and good luck until the next run starts. Hopefully they will have a better idea of what's humorous to people by then, and we can get back on track.

Prost,

Justin
I'm only happy when I'm in my misery...

Thanks to Mr. Hat_DX27 for the sig!
purpletres@aol.com

i wonder...

Postby purpletres@aol.com » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:58 am

you think they were watching the mighty ducks, miracle, etc, and wondered... what if this happens to all hockey teams... and we did a show from the perspective of the team that loses at the end.

it was so disorienting, cause your like, wait... the OTHER team was the team the movie was about? and then it's very darkly hilarious, because you've invested in a coach you like (stan was adorable in a tie), and the team you like (ike was awesome), who lose. and invest in the cancer kid who depends on them, who dies. it's a stiff dose of reality for everyone who really liked the uplifting message of those hockey movies.

cheers?
Xtrchessreal

Postby Xtrchessreal » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:03 am

Well done!

Loved the unnecessary violence! They killed Nelson! I also loved the Redwings celebration after the slaughter. Like it was some kind of real fight with insurmountable odds.

The guy with the turntable was funny. I knew Randy Marsh was going to have one of those memories again. They should have had him fighting other dads again just for gratuity like in the little league baseball games. Thats what he does! But, oh well, good anyway.

"Steve Irwin jokes!...Steve Irwin!...Get your Steve Irwin jokes here!" I swear I heard a vender yelling that at the game!

I love it. After the Steve Irwin in Hell thing people across the globe sent a billion tons of hate mail. Matt and Trey - exactly what I would have done. Just your way of saying "f*ck off!" I get it - nicely done.

Earlier this season Comedy Central was saying that Butters was going to get it good at some point this season. Where and when is what I want to know.

I would love to see a movie with that kind of realness this episode revelled in. Hollywood and the media in general always want to turn some real story into a drama but they can't help themselves at the end. The good guy gets saved or some miracle happens. I say, what about all those that don't get the miracle finish, the people that die for no reason at all. That story rarely gets told. Like the people that were killed in the car crash the other day, boo hoo, I'm cryin'. I could give a flying f*ck. But someone out there wants to put a nice ending on it so it makes sense. Life is what happened, and then death happened. There is no superhuman connection that relates it all unless you want to call mathematics something superhuman. Two objects of similar mass cannot occupy the same space at the same time or things happen. Not Bad things or Good things just things.

Anyway, this was a nice afterschool story for the kids to see. Thanks for making it.
Last edited by Xtrchessreal on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seeing the LIGHT depends on which end of the Tunnel you are heading...
gooneh

Postby gooneh » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:06 am

Just watched the episode. I thought it was funny, but yeah, the ending was messed up...just like the blood orgy on Woodland Critter Christmas, except that had a happy ending. Basically for me and my friend, Randy saved the episode from being a complete flop :P

I would've liked an extra side story or something that involved the other guys. The beginning to middle parts were incredibly funny though ("come on, that's wrong you got asthma or something?", "no...i have cancer". Stan's reaction was exactly like doing a 'ya mum' joke to someone and them replying "...my mum's dead").

However i can also see how fans will either love this episode alot or hate it to bits.

Being an aussie, those steve irwin jokes were fine, i laughed. (in retrospect, those kinda jokes were going around the day he died).

Overall 7.5/10 for me
poonfc

Postby poonfc » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:55 am

this was an episode made to piss people off....it did just that.

It's an episode that has its moments, i lauighed a number of times but not a very great epsiode in total. I had no problems with the ending, it was very clever and fed up in a way sp only knows how to do. It was more of some of the other repitive jokes they were throwing in. not a bad episode but i think they couldve done alot more with it than they did.
UnkieHerb

Postby UnkieHerb » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:02 am

An excellent episode, in fact probably the best of the season next to The Return of Chef, this episode was good riiight up until the end: then, it became classic. One of those darkly comic endings which MnT do so well. I'm still a bit dissapointed with the lack of the other boys (besides in the flashback and that small scene with Kyle), but that's something I've been moaning about all run.

That guy with the record player, however, was the NEW funniest thing all season, just beating out Garrison's "retard fish-monkey" lines.
Nadine81

Postby Nadine81 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:41 am

This was an unusual episode... I liked it :)

I had expected just a simple sports- parody.
The dying kid, the violence in the end and the ending itself that was no typical happy- ending made it very exceptional. That´s why I really liked this episode.

It also had some funny parts (the narrator, Randy of course, the celebrating winning hockey team at the end, the Irwin reference).

But I think the strength of this episode is that it was so different from what people expected and from what people want to see.
I guess almost everybody expected Stan to lead his team to a victory and almost everybody wanted to have a happy ending for the team and this boy.... especially since this was the last episode of the run where you expect a real "season final".

The only thing I didn´t like was the fact that the other boys weren´t in it (except for kyle in only one scene).
I really wanted to see an episode where the four would do something together this run

But all in all this was a nice episode and a great run :):
The right to offend is far more important than the right not to be offended (Rowan Atkinson)
Prime Time

Postby Prime Time » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:53 am

Romeoinlove32 wrote::( half of these reviews are sh*t. I mean come on. Sure steve irwins death was ironic and extremely sad, but thats the second or third time south parks ragged on it and every time i've thought it was wrong. I was a huge steve irwin fan and still am. That howeever doesn't effect my views. One episode states that 22.2 years after something bad happens it can be funny, that episode, it was aids. This time, its steve irwin. I know it wasnt really 22.2 years or whatever, but still. It's only been a few months since his death and I'm sure it upset a lot of people to hear those cracks.

I absolutely hated the episode. First off, it totally ragged on the mighty ducks, which is one of the best hockey movies of all time and didnt deserve to be cracked on at all.

Second off, ok the only thing funny i saw was when stan got the sh*t beat outta him by the bicycle at the beginning, and everytime the voice over assh*le was pretty funny.

I don't believe that the sick kid was funny or ironic or anything. The first game i was expecting, because as showed in the earlier premonition, the kids are like 4, they suck so i was expecting that.

The hockey game in itself was wrong where they had to play the red wings. Who does that? If you were going to play against some little kids, would you honestly beat the f*cking sh!t outta them? That was totally wrong. There were tons of penalties in that and it was ridiculously idiotic. Every one of those kids would have died and the entire red wings team would have been murdered for doing that. I know south park is a fantasy kinda thing and not real life, but still. It was imorale and wrong.

For a good reason theres no contact the writers email adress on this site. And this is the reason. People like me. Sure you all can love the episode, but think about it. It made fun of a lot of death, and in the end is a tragic death of an icon really something funny to joke around with and screw with people about that close to it happening?

yay kenny didn't die though. Ike got totally messed up, some kid took a skate to the eye, another took a puck in the face and i thought it took his lower jaw out. The cancer kid died because his team lost, and then to top it all off, the RED WINGS, who are a fairly respectable organization celebrates like a buncha losers and they show some of the guys making out. BLAH!

I've disliked some episodes before but i thought this one was absolutely disgusting, imorale more than most episodes, and just plain wrong with some of the jokes and basically a lot of the plot. The plot wasn't terrible, but it was one of my fav movies and one of the best movies of all time in hockey and sports in general.

Ok let the criticism and hating on my opinions and statements begin, if i could get the writers to hear this i would but i cant, so i shall share it with you all instead.

Immorale wrong??? This is South Park we are talkin about. Not Mickey Mouse. When it comes to South Park, NOTHING is immorale wrong. You act like you have JUST started watching SP.
Prime Time

Postby Prime Time » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:07 am

Now for my 0.02 cents. I think the ending was creative. I wasn't expecting the boy to die. I was saying to myself..."How will they manage to beat the Red Wings?" And then they got crushed literally LoL. Like some others have pointed out, it was cute seeing all the youngings fall over and over again BUT not enough Ike who should've been used more. Again, decent story line..not the most hilarious story, but it was decent and at least wasn't a negative way of ending the season.

Can't wait for Season 11....
professor_butters1

Hmmmm

Postby professor_butters1 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:31 am

For me it was a mixed bag. I'm all for parodying the ridiculous stakes in bad sports movies, and *so many* of them were bad. I didn't mind the reusing/referencing of old ideas, either.

It was pretty relentlessly Stan, though. By the way, good for Stan for not caving to the emotional blackmail from *anybody.*

But the ending was so, so dark. I like dark humor and this was so sad. It was darker than Scott Tenorman Must Die, I think, if only because that was so impossible. Nelson dying of cancer--and being the *only* recognizable kindergartner, too, other than Ike--whoo. Where was Fillmore? Was the red-haired kid supposed to be Quaid?

I loved Ike's brief moment of triumph, though. I've loved Ike this season.

I'm not saying it's *bad,* exactly, but it won't be one of the episodes I watch over and over.

~~professor butters

PS: Setting someone on fire and peeing on them--it's been done
Kenny injuring Butters and getting him peed on--it's been done
Why does liking one minor character have to mean *hating* another? I don't get this. No character "deserves" something another has gotten, either. They are *not real people.* If you want to see more of a character, write some fanfic with that character in it or get someone to do it for you. I'm sneaking Pip and Damien into one of mine because Athena likes it so much.
abcbcdcdef

Postby abcbcdcdef » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:30 am

Other than this episode telling people to face the reality, it also mocks how some people know nothing about cancer.

I rated this episode a 7/10?,
Quite funny( and I'm not seeking for jokes in South Park, rather the whole unpredictable plot, so I don't care about if it REALLY is funny, although I know people who watch South Park just because it's funny, I'm justnot that kind)
I pretty like the narrator bit and Stans reaction to it, like everyone does, but it kinda get boring after 3 times...
I don't especially like the part where kindergartens are getting beat, not that I oppose violence, it's just... I don't get the point of it.
Random Steve Irwin's joke are quite funny, it's just reminds me how suckers react to 'Hell on Earth' episode.
Randy's reaction to Stan losing, is just not funny! It has been done once already! Makes no sence doing again?
Nice parody!

Look forward to Season 11, 4 MONTHS? Come onnnnnnn, COOME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”