*1014: Stanley's Cup*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

BBXL

Postby BBXL » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:01 am

i loved the whole season except this one

it wasnt that funny to be honest the only part i liked was when they were playing that game against adams county
lucretius

Postby lucretius » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:25 am

This was the best episode of anything, ever.

The first game scene made me laugh. The episode did have slow parts and seemed low on dialog, i.e., it may have seemed rushed to some, BUT the BEAUTIFULLY executed--yet inevitable ending--made the rest a justifiable setup. I've waited for this particular satire, with this much force, for a very long time.

"I hate you, coach. I hate you."
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:26 am

My final rating: 10/10

I don't get why everybody else seems to hate it so much, but oh well guess everybody's different.
Stan and Kyle :)
Im_not_Gay

Postby Im_not_Gay » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:54 am

Overall, I enjoyed this episode, but it wasn't the best of the season. I loved the parody on hockey movies, all sports related movies in fact. It's like, it's a f*cking sport! It's not life or death and yet you get a whole bunch of assh*les who think it's exactly that. The black humour with Nelson was superb "Coach? Can you make it so I don't have cancer?" brilliant! Almost made me laugh as much as the Kenny Dies episode with the Make A Wish Foundation "He says his wish is not to die." (long pause) Spot on!.
All this stuff surrounding Steve Irwin's death is just what they've been doing for ages though, I mean c'mon Princess Diana has appeared in Hell for years, and you're all like "He only died a few months ago, it's not cool." but if Saddam Hussien died tomorrow I'd like to see which of you guys wouldn't be making jokes about his hanging.
The only problems I had with this ep was it's slow pace and the guy with the record player, although he was good, it was a bit over done.
I loved the way the kids never got any better at skating or hitting the puc.
I think this episode is going to get 7/10 Very good, but let down in some areas.
"What the heck is a rim job?"

"Oh well that's where you put your legs behind your head and have someone lick your ass"...
raducucosmin

Postby raducucosmin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:12 pm

this wasn't the worst episode of all the seasons, but it wasn't the best either. it had some good parts though: the sport movies parody was well done, and it didn't leave much of those kind of films un-spoofed;the steve irwin jokes were pretty funny, saying "f*ck off" to those who were so alarmed by the Hell on earth episode,also having a kind of "he died because he was playing with wild dangerous beasts like kids play with megamen" attitude;and the movie trailer announcer bits were cool too.
finally they closed it up in their own style, by throwing an ending completely different than any sports movie ending, completely depressing and discouraging, therefore breaking the clichee.
conclusively, this 1-th season was quite good, measuring it tothe ninth season, or even the 6th to 8th seasons. we had some strong statements like Cartoon Wars, the Return of Chef, Go God Go, Mistery of the urinal deuce and even Smug alert or Miss teacher bangs a boy, some really funny episodes and parody based ones like: Manbearpig, Make love not warcraft and Tssst, and of course those which i consider to be the weakest of the season: A million little fibers, Hell on earth and Stanley's cup, but which still had their good and/or funny moments.
Eagerly expecting season 11.

P.S.: I'm particulary happy today, cause i just found out that i will be allowed to take my diploma paper in film studies (this cosidering that i'm attending an history-english univesity in romania) .BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT THE BIG NEWS IS. THE BIG NEWS IS I'M GOING TO FOCUS ON ONE SUBJECT IN MY PAPER: SOUTH PARK. imagine: 100-200 pages of south park study and analysis . f*ck i'm happy 8)
well, now I'm old enough , but still can't stick my dick in Britney's butt
tomsky_11

Postby tomsky_11 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Romeoinlove32 wrote::( half of these reviews are sh*t.

....yours included?
piss-munk

Postby piss-munk » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:03 pm

Good punch at hollywood writes. Wasn't a funny episode but a good one as they managed to make fun of things, as well as giving the middle finger about steve irwine
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:09 pm

That Pee Wee Hockey Match was the best.

I mean... XD I sat there for two-three minutes watching them fall over and sit in the same place. Awesome. :0
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:38 pm

Yeah, this seemed like an episode that people would have generally liked. Oh well, I enjoyed it at least.

The part with the Red Wings was great. The kids are supposed to go out there and overcome the obstacle (think Miracle), instead they literally get stomped into the ground. I laughed quite a bit, it was a good mixture between the WTF reaction and just laughing because it was so ridiculous and funny.
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:55 pm

That episode was... quite decent. There's been (a lot) worse episodes but a whole lotta better ones too (of course). This was funny enough, though.
And the Steve Irwin-jokes... I don't think they put them in to be super-funny or anything. I guess some people gave them some sh*t about the S.I.-joke in Hell on Earth episode so naturally they had to joke about it again. Twice! It's just that... if people get pissed off about something they do, they will sure do it again. South Park just happens to be about being inappropriate and representing bad taste.
ubergenius

Postby ubergenius » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:00 pm

Well, I'm not gonna weigh in with a thoughtless "BEST EVAR!" or "WORST EVAR!" comment, but I certainly enjoyed this episode. The announcer guy made me giggle regularly, and the darkly funny ending had me in stitches. I love dark comedy, and that ending was hilarious. Especially with Stan just standing there, eyes agape.

Randy was okay, but not the funniest of his roles.

And my favorite line: "I'm just his father... You're his COACH! You're like a father to him!"

Overall, 7/10 (maybe 8/10). Good times! Good end to a good season!

EDIT: Oh, also, I felt the 2 Steve Irwin jokes were clearly intended to remark on the unfounded criticism from Hell on Earth, and they definately hammered the point home, and combined with Stan's stone-faced look made me giggle some.
I aim to misbehave.
http://www.student-manager.com
MyGod

Postby MyGod » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:02 pm

I laughed a bit for the first half. The bike towing and the cancer kids parents and stuff like that was typical south park humor - like Stan's dad carrying on how he does. So that was funny but not uncontrollable laughter. Then it became a smidgen boring pretty much up and until the final scene which, suffice to say, blew me away for shock factor. I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing and I liked that feeling.

What a way to end the season - feeling all hollow and sad inside. :lol: Totally demoralising - I always joked with my friends that just one of those movies should have ended like this. Nice work Matt and Trey.
This could be the end of the world... of warcraft
ubergenius

Postby ubergenius » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:14 pm

Oh, also, I felt the ending with the Red Wings celebration is clearly demonstrating the side of the losing team in all those sports movies, which must feel something over losing. I liked that a whole lot.

And all the scenes with the pee wee kids "playing" was hilarious, and anyone who has ever watched young kids play any sport would have laughed heartily at that, too. Especially when combined with the overzealous parent (Randy). Awesome.
I aim to misbehave.
http://www.student-manager.com
Unfinished

Postby Unfinished » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:00 pm

This episode was awesome, the perfect way to pick at those cliché Mighty Duck movies.

+ Stan was Stan, nothing to comment on him. The way he stood on the final game with that "Tell-me-this-isn't-happening" look... Priceless.

+ Steve Irwin jokes? Hell yeah! Rubbing it in for all the pissy people who complained about the Hell On Earth 2006 episode.

+ The hockey team was adorable!

+ " I hate you coach, I hate you."

+ Stan told Kyle Ike wasn't gonna get hurt. :o

- Noticed something odd? Yes. Kenny didn't die in the entire 10th season. I'm of course not counting his WoW character getting killed. Feels incomplete without that.

- The narrator pissed me off. After the 4th time.

- Randy was too predictable.

The whole ending I was like O_O;. Matt & Trey know how the world works, huh?

I give it a 8/10. Would be 9/10 if Kenny would have died somewhere in this episode.
djadonis206

Postby djadonis206 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:45 pm

The Epic 10th Season Rocked!!!

way to end the season - the announcer was great - I love that

with the needle getting pulled off the record - they started that in "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" <--> I thought it was funny then and still do

I like how they just did it all backwards at the end

"Dad?"
"I knew you could do it son."

I watched the episode again this am before work and it's still hilarious

the whole Season was awesome - great job

ad
"...So Long Balls!"

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”