*1014: Stanley's Cup*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

SPF4L#1

Postby SPF4L#1 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:07 pm

I don't know. Some parts were great. Some parts were sh*t.

I really liked the ending. A hilarious spoof on all the Mighty Ducks-style movies. Also, some good one-liners from Randy.

But the narrator guy...it wasn't funny after the third time and it needed a conclusion.

Also, this was the nearest South Park has come to offending me. I really don't think joking about cancer can ever be funny, to be honest. That's my opinion. Also, the Irwin jokes weren't particularly funny, they were obviously only in there to get at the people who complained last time. But I wouldn't have bothered.
If you can be bothered...please check out this poll:
http://misterpoll.com/4270026923.html
toweleeeie

Postby toweleeeie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:17 pm

This was one of the best eps from the season. I love it when SP takes it just a little bit further pissing off people, in this ep by somewhat making fun of a little boy with leukemia.
I don't think that M&T had the intention to rip on that persé but they sure as hell ripped on the people that don't know how to behave when theyre around or involved with someone having cancer, which is more rediculous than letting the little boy die in the end of the show.
How spicy would you like your Chang sauce?
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:24 pm

Ummm... I just realised (watching the episode again), why doesn't the Canadian hockey team nor their fans in the audience look Canadian...?
Swede_Hanzon

Postby Swede_Hanzon » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:16 pm

The Canadian Detroit team :?:
kylelover52610

Postby kylelover52610 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:32 pm

I liked the episode but, I felt it was unfinished for some reason. Also, Stan is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. Kyle's character is sorta pissing me off. Although the "Totally Tripping Balls" part was hilarious, Stan just seems to be becoming one of my top 3.

Also, when they started on the "Steve Irwin" thing again I was like "Holy sh*t, they are asking for it" XD
At least they have enough respect to call him by his first name. ^^;
CoolCoates

Postby CoolCoates » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:59 pm

SPF4L#1 wrote:this was the nearest South Park has come to offending me. I really don't think joking about cancer can ever be funny

How about joking about AIDS then? How come that didn't come close to offending you? Coz that's just as much of a bad disease as cancer
Hamster at Dawn

Postby Hamster at Dawn » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:10 pm

They weren't really joking about cancer. They were just taking the piss out of those movies where there's a kid who's ill and he wants the team to win and then recovers at the end. Also, when Stan asks if he has asthma, I thought it was quite funny when they replied that he had cancer and Stan was like oh.

Narrator guy with the record got annoying after the first few times and I stopped finding him funny. I also didn't like the ending because it just didn't seem to en to me. I wasn't expecting it to end when it did.

Overall, a good episode though and a nice way to finish the season in what seems now traditional - with an episode centered around Stan. (infact Cartman didn't even appear in it and Kyle had like one line.)

Of course, it's a shame that now the season has ended but I'm looking forward to season 11.
Oh, and the Steve Irwin jokes were great! XD
Si Si

Postby Si Si » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:35 pm

This episode was awesome!
By far my favorite of the season.

"Ya, it's petty bad time for me coach... I'm only five and I'm dyin'"
salamander

Postby salamander » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:41 pm

Again, please tell me what, in and of itself, was funny about Steve Irwin dying - and please don't tell me it was funny because they were saying f*ck you to all those people that thought it was too soon. That would be an example of them trying to make some point (which I guess would be "F*ck You"). Ok, fine; what, in and of itself, is funny about Steve Irwin dying. I might get it if they made fun of his over the top persona, and the irony that he didn't die chasing crocodiles, but was killed by what is usually a docile creature. Also, I'm not sure of this, but he is supposedly looked at as a national treasure in Australia, and millions of children loved him. When you add that it was very recent, I just don't see the point of going there.
Killahertz9

Postby Killahertz9 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:59 pm

iceiwynd wrote:
kfgg wrote:I don't get why everybody else seems to hate it so much, but oh well guess everybody's different.

Neither do I. I can understand disliking it, but the sheer amount of hate this episode has gotten leaves me baffled.

It's so easy to figure out why a lot of people on this board hate the episode, it's because they don't get South Park humor. I too can understand why some might not have thought the episode wasn't good or funny, but to hate something is absolutely f*cking ridiculous. There's other things way more important in this world to hate instead of some comical cartoon. If you didn't like it or thought it was in bad taste that's fine, I can respect that, but to hate it just makes you look like a emotion basket case.

As for myself, I really enjoyed the episode. It was hilarious and it was different. At times it reminded me of Basketball and at others it reminded me of a few 80's flicks. The Blur song was classic for me because most of the hockey games i've been to (30+) they play that song. The look on the fathers face when he was hugging his son at the end was hysterical.
Last edited by Killahertz9 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:36 pm

The amount of negative reactions from this episode is rivaling that of AMLF. I really do not get it, what was it about this one? I have yet to see a really valid reason for the hate. I can understand not liking an episode, God knows that it has happened to me.

Yeah, Killa, that song is so cliche, that was why it awesome that they put it in there.
ugogo_uswimswim

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:37 pm

Wow, so many new people I've never seen before! This is exciting, I hope some of them stick around.

Anyways, I thought all the kids were soooooooo cute! It's so funny how kids can ask small questions that have a huge impact. I also thought that the scene where the little kids were playing in the "majors" was funny! I know that sounds horrible, but maybe because it was so horrible it made the scene funny. I do think that they are really pushinig it with the whole Crocadile Hunter death jokes. First time wasn't so bad. I also didn't think that the kid having cancer was funny at all. My mom has cancer and it's been really devistating to my whole family. Cancer isn't really something you should joke about. I guess you really wouldn't know untill someone close to you has it and you go through the emotions.
Art is what happens when you learn to DREAM!!! -Atlantis Squarepantis

The only good Slash is the one from Guns N' Roses.
kacy__sp

Postby kacy__sp » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:56 pm

interesting ep. I liked the twist at the end where Stan's team lost, like they were supposed to lose all along to give the other side that big victory :D it's a such a poke in the eye of all those hollywood plots where you never consider what the other team's gone through, or what they had to lose.
the movie announcer guy was pretty funny. and the first time that kid said he had cancer made me laugh. but overall there were not enough jokes to sustain the ep, it even got boring at some points from the repetitiveness. not the best way to end this season imo, which otherwise was pretty good. 6/10
ImageImageImage
Cartmanisagod123

like wtf

Postby Cartmanisagod123 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:02 pm

I can't even begin to express how stupid and tasteless "Stanley's Cup" was. Please, someone who found it humorous, explain to me what exactly you thought was funny about it.
Not only were the cliches stupid but there was absolutely no plot which is a huge let down because thats the thing that makes southpark so amazing. That and the amazing characters, but there wasn't even any character development in this episode. Only stan who isn't really funny without the rest of the gang, at least in this episode. The only remotely funny part was the references to the pee wee players' parents...
What exactly was funny about the red wings beating up the pee wee team? I was dumbfounded, just watching and waiting for something to make sense and click, something to bring it all together... unfortunately it was a scam. It was as if they slacked off this week and didn't think of anything ingenius like they have ALWAYS done. I think thats why this episode was such a let down.
As for the boy with cancer... I realize its a show and it isn't meant to be offensive, but what was the point of portraying the sick boy? Was that supposed to be funny? At least the Steve Irwin joke was funny the first time it was used because it was ironic and no one had ever expected him to die the way he did. And sadly enough even that joke was butchered in this episode.
Overall, the episode was dumb, boring, and a huge let down. I mean if matt and Trey were gonna make such a horrible plot/theme/episode they should at least used cartman as the main character cause then it would have at least been mildly entertaining.
This episode made me think that Matt and Trey are just running out of things to write about. Please don't me lose hope again.... please
Let me know if you guys agree/disagree...
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:13 pm

All I can say is the people flipping out on this episode do not get it.
Stan and Kyle :)

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”