*1014: Stanley's Cup*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

graveyardpc

Postby graveyardpc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:20 am

I used to think that about Drawn Together, but it's been getting better and better. I'm not saying it rules compared to South Park, but at least I can get a laugh out of it. That's more than I can say for this and many other episodes this past season.
hainted

Postby hainted » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:36 am

Maybe you just need to watch them again. :?
graveyardpc

Postby graveyardpc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:59 am

I've seen all of them more than once. I just hope the 11th season is a lot better than this past one.
Lo-Roko

Postby Lo-Roko » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:27 pm

I'm new to south park studios and i think this episode might of been done for a real-life kid who acctualy did have cancer, that's what i think :) [/b]
KickYouInTheNutz

Postby KickYouInTheNutz » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:06 pm

This episode was sick and crappy, in the end where it says "no hope", there is no hope for southpark, I was hoping when these new epsidoes come out that they would be better, but no sorry they where just worth.

Iv been a south park fan long time now, but this aint the old school south park, this is just pure crap
No_substitute_for_you
Board Moderator

Postby No_substitute_for_you » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:52 pm

The record player didn't have to reappear in the episode. I thought it was lame.

I'm not sure about this one. I'm a huge hockey fan, and I was looking forward to this episode more than any other this season. I'm not sure about the cancer thing...were they trying to be funny or trying to be seriously funny (as in 513)? Probably just being offensive, considering how they ended it. Hm.

I didn't hate it. It was an entertaining episode, not very funny, but I wanted to watch it. I loved how they decided to find a Canadian player to play with them. But the best part was playing Detroit. XD

Eh..not too bad. 7/10.

Edited for spelling airur
Last edited by No_substitute_for_you on Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fhdjasfhskdlhajkfhskdla
NoSu

Postby NoSu » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:14 pm

It seems like people have far too weak stomachs for south park , everytime something violent or sick happens people complain. Everytime an episodes slightly offensive there's another outcry on the forums :shock:

I mean one of the points of the show is to be fairly shocking and to make you slightly uncomfortable. Still people complain when something evil happens , like a kid getting beat up , abused or or simply dies =D

I fully admit this episode wasn't the best , but it certainly isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I kinda have a feeling just because it had a sudden ending which was twisted and had kids getting beaten up in people come off with a real negative opinion.

*Sigh* It's the same everywhere you know , In gaming forums people will complain about the best games nonstop due to one or few tiny issues.

And hell so what it's a season ender? There's tons more seasons coming it really means nothing. The original episodes.. kinda sucked compared to these , sure they where funny but it was all classroom humour.

The sad thing is - When it's serious comedy people complain about it being to political , when it's slapstick and random people complain about it not being serious enough. There's no pleasing fans.

On a finale note - The steve irwin jokes.. ARE supposed to be offensive , they're supposed to be awkard and misplaced . You honestly can't complain about something which is designed to not be politicaly correct and rude.
Superstring

Postby Superstring » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:27 pm

How about the ugly color schemes in the background, did anyone else notice or care about the animation styles?

I addressed Trey and Matt recently, saying their animation was starting to look too good and they should remember cheapness was a part of the South Park everyone fell in love with -- after this episode though I think there's no good reason not to keep the animation looking better. Was I a moron* for saying that?†

*Not actually a moron
†Not actually a question
Sorry To Bother, But Might You Have An EpiPen I Can Use Immediately?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47986
onlymeee

Postby onlymeee » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:26 am

^ I agree with this. I think the animation's been getting a bit over-flashy myself. I've said so. But it could be a lot worse I guess.
Shiek927

Postby Shiek927 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:15 am

onlymeee wrote:^ I agree with this. I think the animation's been getting a bit over-flashy myself. I've said so. But it could be a lot worse I guess.

I second that, an issue I remember bringing up earlier.

Remember when the aliens in Cancelled said "A show should never go past an 100 episodes or else it gets stale, with ridiculously stupid plotlines and settings", In terms of "settings", I'm starting to agree. It seems in an attempt too show off the technology, The show is getting more "out there" instead of staying inside the town borders. Don't get me wrong, Nothing is more beautiful looking then the snowy Rockies, the unique alien enviroments, San Francisco(admittedly), and other places they come up with. However, With Season 11, I hope the episodes return too South Park rather then inside Cartmans dream, inside Stan's dream, in a different dimension, while Kyles taking acid(yeah, still a little ticked over that).

However, While I'm up for M&T's staunch belief in true freedom of speech, I feel like they're slowly and slowly going towards things that are going too be less funny and more asking for trouble. I know M&T aren't LOOKING for controversy(at least I hope) and are just trying too make a funny episode, but I feel like they're heading too more and more sacred ground in an attempt too bring more laughs and it ends up going against them.

I'm not gonna say that M&T have lost their edge just because a few episodes this 2nd half weren't very good, but slowly I feel like the whole "preachy and up it's own ass with messages" that the truck driver said is Part 2 of Cartoon Wars may be turning against them. I mean, don't you feel like they've proven their point and people should be able too express themselves and they should now go back too playing it safe with non-political like pre-501 episodes? You can call it cowardly but at leasts it's better then raising hell every episode and pre-501 episodes were still VERY funny, not too mention they had original storyplots instead of basing it off something.

Hopefully this won't get me flamed.
Through the years we all will be together...if our fates allow...

"Whats your name?"
"What's in a name?"
Kyle and Rebecca.
MarkusFarkus

Postby MarkusFarkus » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:08 am

Well, I loved the new episode, and I love the improved animation. It's so amazing that they can crank these things out in a week. And they keep looking better and better.

What I like about this show is that it evolves. If it was always just the four kids in the same town and with the same animation, it would have gotten stale a long time ago.

What separates this show from many, many others, including the Simpsons (another great show) is that while all these other shows have writing staffs that have a lot of turnover, Matt and Trey still control and write their show and they grow and change and get better just like we all do. The Simpsons and others do the same thing they always do, because of the turnover, which works fine for them, since it's usually joke after joke after joke, but with South Park, I don't mind seeing the show reach out into new directions. I'm just glad they keep it fresh. They never fail to surprise me, or shock me (like cancer-boy Nelson), or make me laugh.

And speaking of shocking, I like how they continue to go over the line to make a point. Comedy should be edgy. If it wasn't, it would be like, well, Gallagher or something. Little precious kids getting the snot kicked out of them and an especially cute kid dying of cancer is funny to me, since they are showing us, in their own twisted way, how cliched sports movies are and how it would look if one completely went in the other direction. They're not making fun of cancer, they're making fun of sports movies. It might be offensive to you, especially if you know someone that has it or died from it, but they know that and they choose to do it anyway and I laugh every time, even while being slightly offended myself. "No hope...no hope..." and a flatline? I can't believe they just did that! HAWT!

And the characters? So Kyle took acid. Stan pointed a gun at Kyle. Ike sleeps with a teacher. Who gives a rat's ass!? They're figmants of someone's else's imagination, not mine. The characters are nothing without Matt and Trey and they can do anything they want to them if they think it helps them say what they want to say. I may sound ageist here, and I'm sorry if I do, but I think it takes a little maturity and/or experience to accept this for some of you. Sure, you can grow attached to them (the sign of good writing), but don't get too attached, they're not real. And someday Matt and Trey just might want to kill one of them (besides Kenny, of course) JUST TO PISS YOU OFF.

Saying that, another thing I've loved is their willingness to piss off the viewers. Comedy Central recently (FINALLY!) rerun "Not Without My Anus" and I still consider it one of my favorites. A lot of fans hated it, still do, but if you can't laugh at yourself after someone's f*cked you over on a TV show, well too bad for you.

This has been my favorite show from the beginning, and they keep getting better. Even when a particular episode isn't as strong as others, it's still the best on TV. I think I've written posts like this before but I'll say it again, KEEP IT UP GUYS!!

And if anyone says this sounds like I'd suck Matt and Trey's dicks, well so be it. I'm secure enough in my heterosexuality to joke about it, notwithstanding the fact that this is the f*cking internet. I'd just have to close my eyes and believe I was sucking on a hose, Cartman-style!
joseph1990

Postby joseph1990 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:13 pm

Is the reason for no cartman cos he's still in the future?
loves_to_spooge

Postby loves_to_spooge » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:38 pm

joseph1990 wrote:Is the reason for no cartman cos he's still in the future?

dude if your in the future then it doesnt mean u disappear from the past

lol
altho this episode could have taken place wen cartman was in the process of freezing himself the second time and if you remember cartman never phoned stan so yeh could have been freezing himself at the time
but it doesnt mean there has to be a reason why cartman wasnt in it

yeh i loved this episode and i most certainly agree with MarcusFarcus
i loved how they pushed it even further by having a five year old die of cancer, which is just dieing(no pun intended) to start some controvery

AT THE END OF THE SEASON

but if they're gonna make it true classic they'll have a
"this episode will not be shown tonight and will be replaced by a terrance and phillip special"on the first episode of season 11

and then the next week after that stan will forget about the dieing kid

woo SOUTH PARK RULES
Superstring

Postby Superstring » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Wathed this episode for my second time last night and it was AWESOME -- so many low key script jokes that weren't really 'crazy' or anything but noticing them the second time around the humor was totally awesome -- Also, so many little things in the visual side like, the look on someone's face when this or this happens that made me laugh a lot! Kick f*ckin ass
Sorry To Bother, But Might You Have An EpiPen I Can Use Immediately?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47986
DangerDoom

Postby DangerDoom » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:36 pm

10 years of watching south park and what do you get? One of the worst episodes of south park ever. No point. Did not laugh once. After a pretty good second half of south park, this was just awful. horrible way to end it.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”