*1106: D-Yikes!*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:46 am

I agree with KtS, we needed more of the boys in this episode.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:59 am

Bearing in mind that I've only seen about two minutes of the show, here's a few brief comments;
Janet? Janet. Ok, I think that Helen would have worked better, but that's just my opinion. (Herbina would have been funnier and more wheels off.)

Oh, and anyone who wanted a 300 spoof, there you have it.

I'll have to review the tape and get back to you guys later.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:00 am

I figured Garrison's new first name would be Herberta. I don't know, it's just stupidly funny.
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:02 am

KennyStanWendyFan wrote:I figured Garrison's new first name would be Herberta. I don't know, it's just stupidly funny.

I know. How the hell'd they go from Herbert to Janet?
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:14 am

"I'm gay."
"Again?"

Ahh, I was expecting something a little different... more involving the boys. I'm a little disappointed about that fact, and it did kinda take away a bit of the episode for me, but... Well, it wasn't bad. I mean, I still laughed. Mostly at the boys' parts, as it seems to be.

At least, though, unlike Lice Capades, the main story focused on someone we actually knew. Garrison was amusing enough (especially everyone's reactions to her being gay again), but... ahh, I LOVED the Mexicans.

And the 300 parody had its good bits and its bad ones. At first it was kinda funny, but the narrator, the slow-motion... kinda overdone and boring. Though the Persians (especially the head one) were pretty good.

I'd say worst of the season so far, but I still enjoyed it. Beginning was better than the end, though (except the school at the end, that was good).

Butters got the best line. I seriously cracked up over his knowledge of scissors.
Last edited by iceiwynd on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrawny

Postby Thrawny » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:17 am

Overall it was ok, the Mexicans thing cracked me up everytime. I do hope the last one is not a parody though, the last 3 have essentially been centered on being a parody.
--------------------

Thrawny
byte19

Postby byte19 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:39 am

loved it! the 300 spoof was dead on, even the slo-mo, sped-up shot of fixin the coffee! good stuff! :P
now that's what i call a stickey situation!!

https://www.facebook.com/TheRascalTheory.trt/
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:41 am

Well, that one pretty much met my expectations. I laughed at some of the visuals, but that was about it. The kids' reactions to Miss Garrison was funny, but that was a very small part of the episode.

I think the 300 parody really failed in the end. I haven't seen the movie, but I had to point it out to my friend (who has seen it) that they were parodying it.

I think I have to state again: Enjoying an episode shouldn't be reliant on if you've seen a certain movie or not.

Not a very good episode in the end. I doubt I'll really watch it again, I have a feeling that most of what I laughed at will lose it's touch on a second watch.
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:48 am

Haha, I loved it. XD I've been waiting for lesbians to get a part in SP and I thought it was accurate enough... um can I ask an awkward question? Does sissors count as sex? Cause you know I'm just wondering sort of randomly////// O_O;;
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
ushankasrockmysocks

Postby ushankasrockmysocks » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:18 am

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Hmm, weird.

Honestly, the episode was much funnier during the first half than in the second. Everything was going fine until they got into the "300" parody, which they seemed to be leaning too heavily on to carry the latter half. I laughed so hard when Garrison came out as "gay" for the second time in SP history. The puns were clever, the sub-plot with the Mexicans was fairly decent, and the boys seemed to get fairly even roles. (Is it just me, or did Kenny's "Uh-oh" seem much louder than he normally speaks?)

The second half just didn't do it for me, and I doubt it's because I haven't seen the movie being parodied. A good parody should still manage to be funny even if the audience isn't all that familiar with the original work being parodied. The slow-motion gag was overdone and poorly timed, they missed a lot of opportunities to parody the action scenes and include more gags, and the ending kind of staggered off.

Even though I thought Garrison was actually used fairly well in this one, I would have wanted to see more focus on the boys. I just think that, overall, the various plots weren't very balanced.
Yes, I completely agree. I thought the episode was decent until the 300 parody started. It's fine to parody something, but it should be a loose enough parody for the thing to stand on its own merit too. That's why the Lord of the Rings parody worked so well. This one just didn't. They could've made the parody light....but they relied on it for the whole second half, lifting shots directly from the movie (ok, admittedly I have not seen it, but come on, even I can tell that that's what they did). I really think they're running out of ideas - first they parodied disaster movies, then 24, now 300, thus in all cases relying on pre-existing plots and styles in lieu of making up more original material. The whole thing with Garrison now being "lesbian" is a great idea, and they took it to some really cool places in the first half - but then they apparently just ran out of steam and took the easy way out. The blog said something about the episode getting an overhaul on tuesday - I bet the 300 parody was the overhaul, brought in to save a half-done story. Too bad.

Also, they have ONCE AGAIN left loose ends at the end of the episode - a major problem of theirs this season (see my other posts). Just WHAT exactly is Garrison's sexuality?? I guess he's somewhat/completely bisexual - as a man he did used to brag about sleeping with women, after all, and I believe at least some of that to be true, even though I still think his/her preference is for men. But where is Garrison headed now? - WE DON'T KNOW. Therein lies the problem. Her personal storyline had no resolution at all.

Also, I guessed that "Xerxes" was either gay or a woman/transexual very easily (as it turns out, both were kinda true). The revelation was a big *yawn* for me. I bet other people guessed it too.

Finally, once AGAIN they've relied in a big way on original characters created only for this episode. They've done this, in varying degrees, in EVERY SINGLE episode this season except, possibly, Jesse Jackson (which is arguable). The lice, the Gay Campers, "Hildog" and all the government officials, Donahue and Teabag (and the pope), now the lesbians - they can't seem to drudge up full storylines centering on the regular South Park residents anymore - including the boys!! Now I know that the Easter Special followed Stan and Kyle, but as others have commented, they weren't the heart of the episode - the stuff around them was. And that stuff wasn't connected with regular South Park people or the town itself. South Park the show seemingly has little to do with South Park the town anymore.

All or most of this could still be very redeemable, even of no consequence, if the shows were actually really funny. But mostly, I don't think they have been. Even the ones I like (ie. Jesse Jackson) aren't really as comical as I feel they ought to be. And the ones I don't ....ugnnnhhhhh.

Right now I'm dying for a story set completely in familiar South Park locales, centering all (or mostly) on the boys and those close to them!! No more epics. I want them to tie up their friggin loose ends, and I want them to create COMPLETELY ORIGINAL STUFF!! I realize I'm ranting, but....seriously. I really think the show has jumped the shark. I love Trey and Matt so much.... I want them to stop f*cking up!
atonal_belle

Postby atonal_belle » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:32 am

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:The slow-motion gag was overdone and poorly timed....

That was the whole point. They were ripping that damn movie to shreds! 300 was the worst film I've ever seen in my entire existence (except maybe Spice World, but let's not talk about that). It had no content whatsoever (and terrible character development). That movie was nothing more than an excessive stream of slow-mo sequences paired with melodramatic music. And lots of gore. It was literally painful to watch.

On that note, I liked that this episode showed how truly ridiculous 300 was. And I loved the Mexicans! But that was pretty much it... I do agree that they leaned too heavily on the 300 parody for most of the show. And I'll also have to say that I've really hated Garrison since the sex change. As someone said in an earlier post, she's just become so annoying!
"How about we sing 'Kyle's Mom is a Stupid Bitch' in d minor?"
Stanley_Marsh109

Postby Stanley_Marsh109 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:49 am

I thought this episode was pretty creative in the way they managed to tie in lesbians, Mexicans, and 300 all in one episode. And it all came together surprisingly well.

As you may have guessed, the episode is difficult to find funny if you haven't seen 300. But luckily I have, and thus it was far easier to relate to than if I hadn't otherwise. The parody of 300 was dead on, just as it usually is when SP decides to take on movies. The overdone slow-motion scenes were perfect. A lot of quotes and scenes were taken directly from the movie.

The Mexican part was pretty funny, even to the end. I love it when they rip on Mexicans. Mrs. Garrison (Janet?) yelling at the kids and lashing out against men was classic. I hate it when women deride men like they do, but they captured the spirit pretty well.

Could've done without the sex scenes, but that's forgivable. All in all a pretty solid and reasonably well thought-out episode. That's two good episodes in a row! :D
I'm only happy when I'm in my misery...

Thanks to Mr. Hat_DX27 for the sig!
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:04 am

I have a newfound respect for Mexican Competence. I might hire them to write some scripts for me.

I thought the 300 parody/nod was extremely well done. But I also thought it was missing something. I liked the 300 speed/slow style effect on the mundane actions, but I would have lobbied for some mundane ultraviolence to occur at least once. No bodily harm or anything like that. Just some smashed coffee mugs or something. Maybe some sort of kitchenware cataclysm.

But that would require a lot of animation on a short week.

Funny that they made Xerxes a lezzer. My roommate and I described Xerxes in 300 as a cross between John Amaechi and Prince's Wet Dream.

(Le Bo) Les Bos was funny.

Sort of Scissored the Scissor joke to death, though. But, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, it was quite funny the first time.

By the way, scissoring is like the hottest thing on the planet (sans Janet Garrison, of course). I've always wanted to put my dick in the middle of some Scissoring.

And just so you know, I'm dying, everyone. Dying of a horrible chronic disease. A chronic disease called Depression. And there's no Red Cross or United Way for us, so if anyone wants to help me live out my dream of testing out whether sliding my dick into the middle of some hot Scissor action is even physically possible, and then find out if you can keep doing it until I climax, and you live in the Los Angeles area, please do this dying man a favor and send me a private message.

All right, well, good work Team South Park. I'm gonna go poke a toke and then sexually defile the gap between my mattress and my bedspring.

Be well, wealthy and wise.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:40 am

I haven't seek 300, it's a movie or what?
Spielautomaten kostenlos spielen durch meine Homepage!

DieAchse: Hier finden Sie Alles über Roulette online.

Ein Einarmiger Bandit macht immer spaß!
Hier gibt asSpielautomaten Spiele online!
Clyde Donovan

Postby Clyde Donovan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:12 am

its funny Mr.Garrison wanted to get rid of all the Mexican. Mrs.Garrison hired them to spy on Xerxes. See people can change. the scissoring was so funny it made Pepsi come out of my nose!

[img:904e5]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s10/Kikkerkont93/CDsig.jpg[/img:904e5]

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”