*1113: GUITAR QUEER-O*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

gtaca2005

Re: *1113: GUITAR QUEER-O*

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:23 am

Edduyasha wrote:
sublime90 wrote:another thing i really liked was when stan first started playing the racing game, before the radio said "heres the song stan and kyle got 100,000 points on" they were playing that corny song from like season 2 or 3 spontanious combustion, the song that played while stans dad was doing research and there running through all the rooms.....that song was on the radio lol

Oooh, intresting... I'll have to go check that out...

If so, that's a really cool find!

Did it go like this: ♫"...You're my girl, cause I'm not one to be shy."...♫ Or something like that? Cause thats what it does on "Spontainious Combustion". :?

I would check myself, but my DVR recorded "Fantastic Easter Special"'s info with the new episode, so I deleted it, and set it to record it again at 9:00 pm pt.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
OPL

Postby OPL » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:23 am

ShaneHaughey wrote:You don't even need wikipedia. Almost every movie about a band is like this.:P

Hell, it doesn't even need to be a movie. Pick any band that comes out of the 70's and there's a chance they'd have a story that goes something like this. Maybe without the happy reunion at the end, but still.
"...But then, the lesson of Gore's Nobel Prize is that to talk big but do nothing of substance is what society rewards." -TMQ, ESPN Page 2
Indigo Rose

Postby Indigo Rose » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:25 am

gtaca2005 wrote:
Edduyasha wrote:
sublime90 wrote:another thing i really liked was when stan first started playing the racing game, before the radio said "heres the song stan and kyle got 100,000 points on" they were playing that corny song from like season 2 or 3 spontanious combustion, the song that played while stans dad was doing research and there running through all the rooms.....that song was on the radio lol

Oooh, intresting... I'll have to go check that out...

If so, that's a really cool find!

Did it go like this: ♫"...You're my girl, cause I'm not one to be shy."...♫ Or something like that? Cause thats what it does on "Spontainious Combustion". :?

I would check myself, but my DVR recorded "Fantastic Easter Special"'s info with the new episode, so I deleted it, and set it to record it again at 9:00 pm pt.

That's the Spontainious Combustion one. I'm sure of it, I've got a good memory for stuff like this.
"Now Kyle, don't fly too close to the sun, or it'll burn your wings, an- and you'll crash into the ocean!"

(Awkward silence)

"Butters Goddamnit!"
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:29 am

I'll check at 9:00 when my damn DVR gets the right episode info recorded. It went kind of retarded tonight. :?
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:43 am

That felt kind of... underwhelming? I'm not too sure. The episode's world treating Guitar Hero seriously wasn't funny and it's a completely drawn out idea on the show nowadays (though Heroin Hero was pretty funny). There wasn't much humour, but at least the character stuff was okay.

Still, it didn't really pick up for me enough to make me love it until about the last four minutes, with Stan going to apologize to Kyle etc, but that's hardly enough to save a whole episode.

Actually, you know, I can't remember much else from this one. Yeah. Underwhelming. I'll have to watch it again later but I don't really feel a pressing need to do so. It was... okay. About as much as I was expecting from it.
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:46 am

^ Cool.

@ OPL- It's happened to tons of bands- Pink Floyd, Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath...just to name a couple. Heck, a lot of their music is based on their experiences with drugs an' stuff...

Even the protagonist Pink of Pink Floyd's The Wall movie also goes through a more extreme form of isolation and drug abuse...it's very common within band-based stories, to be sure.
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:48 am

First, they cut out the beginning
a cappella part of Carry On Wayward Son so they could "hit the post" on the song like they do on the radio. Second of all the song before it was indeed the song from Spontainious Combustion. They actually gave it an artist name "The Splindiffs"
Stan and Kyle :)
Zubby

Postby Zubby » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:49 am

Pretty good episode, but slightly underwhelming. I'd give it 7/10.

I liked the Stan/Kyle moments. Forget Kyle sucking Cartman's balls, Stan's 'I need you' will launch a million fanfics.

I wish they'd have done a bit more with the story, however. It's so familiar and cliche that it really needs to be subverted. Making it kids and a silly game didn't go quite far enough. That plot needed to be deconstructed. Maybe if they had parodied Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (which is a messed-up version of the same story).

Other random thoughts:

I liked Pretty Vacant being used, especially because it was when Stan was having a particularly Sid Vicious-like moment.

How long until we see a flash version of Heroin Hero online?
Zubby
Grizim

Postby Grizim » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:51 am

nineone14peace wrote:I'm so sick of this argument (in other forums) by guitar players that GH sucks because it's "not playing a real guitar" - thank God I'm not seeing that in here. I play guitar and GH... it's just a fun game people, relax.

i know, man, but there's more to it than that. personally i'm not a fan of video games but i know some kids who seriously look at it as a musical talent when it's just a video game talent. it's not like dance dance revolution where you really are dancing. you're not playing guitar when you play guitar hero. but mainly i get dissappointed because some non-guitar player friends of mine have said that guitar hero is more fun, which is bullsh*t because on a real guitar you can do so much more.

anyway, this episode. was. absolutely. amazing. the heroin hero was so f*cking funny and the driving scene was funny too. also that kid playing the guitar hero controller without music playing was hillarious and so realistic as well. this episode deserves a 10/10, i'm not even putting thought to it. it was amazing. but i'm really pissed that the run is almost over. that over-extended trilogy kind of sped the end of the season up, not that the trilogy was bad, but come on.
As enjoyable as abuse.
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:52 am

Zubby wrote:How long until we see a flash version of Heroin Hero online?

I'll get my brother onto that...he's the Flash genius in my house...

:cartmanlaugh:
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today

Goodbye, all you people
Goodbye...

Indigo Rose

Postby Indigo Rose » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:53 am

Edduyasha wrote:

You'll link us, right? :mrgreen:
"Now Kyle, don't fly too close to the sun, or it'll burn your wings, an- and you'll crash into the ocean!"

(Awkward silence)

"Butters Goddamnit!"
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:56 am

Indigo Rose wrote:
Edduyasha wrote:

You'll link us, right? :mrgreen:

I wish. My brother's always busy researching every little fact about Pink Floyd...I think he wants to be the next great Floydian of my school, after Mickey and Art Class Kyle, a couple of my friends...

^ ^;
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today

Goodbye, all you people
Goodbye...

Kennyfan84

Postby Kennyfan84 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:05 am

I loved this episode. I dare say this episode is probably the best episode of the second half of the 11th season. No Cartman or Butters crap to drag it down & the Heroin Hero was hilarious, the Ultimate First Person Shooter. Great to hear "Carry On Wayward Son" & the ending was funny as Stan & Kyle became Guitar Queer-os. The only negative thing to the episode was like so many episodes in the last few years, it targets a fad or current event which means it might not age well. But anyway funny episode.
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:25 am

That episode was pretty neat. Thought it’d be a little lame at first, but w00t, it wasn’t!

The show speaks truly of the concept of games like that. I personally haven’t played Guitar Hero, and therefore I think it’s silly to give it the high cult-like praise the game gets, and they really pointed that out at the end.

It’s also funny how they expanded on random other video-game-based addictions, like that Heroin Hero thing! That purple dragon cracks me up! If you can get high from something like that, than yeah, you’re messed! Haha! The little drama between Stan and Kyle was good to, because again, it’s true to how people react to this sh*t these days. :P

Oh, and let’s not forget about Randy. He’s awesome, even though his parts were minor! :P

Overall, 9/10 on first view. Funny, and pretty fresh for a video game parody, though still not as good as MLNW. Still, damn f*cking awesome! :D
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:30 am

Strong episode:

Stan & Kyle friendship angles I enjoy, and it put minor characters as cheerleaders and Cartman got to sideline for an episode.

I thought the episode was good, I loved the ending, and the music got my mother's attention.

Now I need to buy guitar Hero.

Yes, i want to play heroine hero

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”