*1201 Tonsil Trouble* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Nerys

Re: *Episode 1201 Post-Air Discussion*

Postby Nerys » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:41 pm

Cartman is sooooo in love with Kyle...
I know it, you know it, Matt and Trey know it......
...and I'm not just sure, I'm HIV-positive! :D
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:43 pm

Great first episode for the spring ’08 run!!! Classic Cartman vs Kyle show with Kyle not wanting to be called Cartman’s friend so everyone assumes he is Cartman’s lover. Just out-f*@king-standing!!!

I do agree that the immediate shocking issue is Cartman giving Kyle HIV. However, I thought the more interesting question is:

Which is worse, HIV /AIDS or Cancer? And I totally agree with the flight attendant!
veridian

Postby veridian » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:33 pm

I don't like where South Park is going in the latest season. Season 10 saw an evolution in the sorts of episodes that South Park produced towards big feature length episodes. This worked in "Go God Go" and to a certain extent in "Cartoon Wars" but generally resulted in slow paced, lame story lines that spanned several episodes.

This slow pace and sense of trying too hard has creeped into the single episode storyline s aswell. "Tonsil Trouble" is pretty typical of this decline.

I'm not quite sure how Eric Cartman is developing as a character either. Even though Cartman is always an assh*le, he has always been a likeable assh*le. But season 11 just saw him becoming unlikeable. Sure, he still did crazy stuff but it was not motivated by a childlike misunderstanding of the world that makes him likeable. Even the tone of his voice has changed. Take the difference between Cartman in "Scott Tenorman must die" to "Imaginationland" (where frankly he was just annoying). The success of South Park depends on Cartman being a character you hate to love but like him anyway.

I thought this episode might talk about the US health system and take the piss out of Michael Moore while they were at it (but ultimately siding with him, just not the way he goes about discussing it). This is another missed chance guys, another missed chance.
yammers

Postby yammers » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:12 pm

veridian wrote:I'm not quite sure how Eric Cartman is developing as a character either. Even though Cartman is always an assh*le, he has always been a likeable assh*le. But season 11 just saw him becoming unlikeable. Sure, he still did crazy stuff but it was not motivated by a childlike misunderstanding of the world that makes him likeable. Even the tone of his voice has changed. Take the difference between Cartman in "Scott Tenorman must die" to "Imaginationland" (where frankly he was just annoying). The success of South Park depends on Cartman being a character you hate to love but like him anyway.

I thought Cartman in Scott Tenorman Must Die was the perfect description of his character. He was still a child trying to outsmart an older kid, and for the majority of the episode he does so rather childish. But in the end he pulls the ace from his sleeve and shows everyone just how hard as f*ck Eric Cartman can be. The newer episodes no longer depict him as an extremely intelligent, albeit misguided and incredibly ignorant, kid who thrives on one upping his peers. Now he's going after issues and problems far and above him for him to make any headway. I'm tired of Eric trying to fight America and the system, leave that to Randy and other grown up characters. I want Eric to refocus his energy to kid issues with adult ruthlessness just like back in the day.
CartmansCuzzin

Postby CartmansCuzzin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:28 pm

veridian wrote:I don't like where South Park is going in the latest season. Season 10 saw an evolution in the sorts of episodes that South Park produced towards big feature length episodes. This worked in "Go God Go" and to a certain extent in "Cartoon Wars" but generally resulted in slow paced, lame story lines that spanned several episodes.

This slow pace and sense of trying too hard has creeped into the single episode storyline s aswell. "Tonsil Trouble" is pretty typical of this decline.

I'm not quite sure how Eric Cartman is developing as a character either. Even though Cartman is always an assh*le, he has always been a likeable assh*le. But season 11 just saw him becoming unlikeable. Sure, he still did crazy stuff but it was not motivated by a childlike misunderstanding of the world that makes him likeable. Even the tone of his voice has changed. Take the difference between Cartman in "Scott Tenorman must die" to "Imaginationland" (where frankly he was just annoying). The success of South Park depends on Cartman being a character you hate to love but like him anyway.

I thought this episode might talk about the US health system and take the piss out of Michael Moore while they were at it (but ultimately siding with him, just not the way he goes about discussing it). This is another missed chance guys, another missed chance.

No matter how great of an episode M&T put together, there's always going to be an assh*le critic who seems to find a bunch of HIV negative nonsense to point out. I'm going to tell you something folks and I'm sure most of you will agree with me on this...if NOTHING was never changed on South Park then there would be no 12th season of South Park. There probably wouldn't have been an eight year run for them either. Change is great for any show and it keeps the show more interesting without dying out with the same old predictable plots so whenever you compare the old Cartman with the new (for ex), you must remember that it's a development that's good for the show and it's run. To be quite honest, his rude and arrogant development (like it or not) is what took this show to an even higher level.

Simple as this, don't look at the show if you feel it's going towards the wrong direction. South Park is alot more adult now then it has ever been, it's alot more graphic and the storylines are incredible. I'm giving the season opener an A+ just because it was the best opener since season 8. Kyle was hilarious in this 1 also, his anger has really risen to the boiling point this time. The new show opening isn't too bad either.
polymorph

Postby polymorph » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:45 pm

The episode was decent as I expected and as for the direction the show is going I think it's HIV positive.(That is possibly the catchphrase for an episode they have done in a long time.)
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
ploughman

Postby ploughman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:59 pm

I'd have to say I was very disappointed with "Tonsil Trouble" (S12E01). The premise of having your two main characters "cured" of an HIV infection is just too much of a no-go, plausibility-wise, and that problem overshadowed some potentially good bits. The point about public concern over the disease ebbing was a valid one, and certainly Jimmy Buffett is a great subject for a send-up of the type he probably wouldn't like. But the premise was just too faulty from the start, with problems compounded by having it happen to your #1 and #2 characters. (I realize having Kenny killed off and returning also stretches things, but this is the kind of thing a 5th grader would come up with and get a C- on for painting himself into this corner). This episode probably belongs in the 6 to 7 rating range on tv.com.

Constructive suggestion: South Park has had great success with shows about Mormons and Scientologists, so why not build on that? When was the last time someone took on Protestant denominations like Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists or Baptists? Gotta be stuff to work with there. You could also do a show about high-tech megachurches and Wal-Mart religion served to thousands at a time. (The show about Cartman getting into religious music was a great one). Seems like the religion shows have stood the test of time better than the political shows.
Favorite episodes: "Cartman joins NAMBLA" and "Make Love Not Warcraft"
charliekocur

Postby charliekocur » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:56 pm

ploughman wrote:The premise of having your two main characters "cured" of an HIV infection is just too much of a no-go, plausibility-wise, and that problem overshadowed some potentially good bits.

Look at a lot of episodes, Imagination Land, any episode with the Visitors, etc. So curing AIDS isn't too far-fetched.

I think this episode was made simply for the shock value. It began back with the episode about Jared from Subway which made AIDS jokes OK (since it's been over 22.3(?) years) and they're building off of this idea.

Overall there were some funny lines and bits (Jimmy Buffett anyone?) although the story wasn't as driven as well as others in the past, was still good for a laugh.
Aidsburger

Postby Aidsburger » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:07 am

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been watching South Park since season 2 in 1998 and I own every season on DVD.

I must say that I am very impressed with the 12th season opener "Tonsil Trouble". Although the show has changed alot as some people have pointed out, I think that it has changed in a good way. With every new season, the episodes seem to get more and more controvercial, and this episode was no exception.

It honestly made me laugh more than I have at least since episode 912 (Trapped in the Closet), and it was funny from beginning to end. I was in shock when the doctor said Cartman had AIDS after the tonsil surgery, but still, I found it hysterically funny.

The main highlights of the episode for me were Cartman's "HIV positive" phrase, Jimmy Buffet singing "AIDS burger in paradise", Cartman giving Kyle HIV, everyone thinking Kyle and Cartman were gay, and the money curing AIDS joke.

Alot of people thought that money being the cure for AIDS was stupid, but it's really funny if you think about what they were probably trying to reference. In my opinion, the money was probably a referrance to the fact that the meds to keep HIV from advancing into full-blown AIDS cost a fortune.

The Africa thing at the end was helarious, too. Probably the funniest part of the 2nd half of that episode.

I'd give it a 10/10 for both creativity and humor.
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:29 am

Let's see here...I'd probably give this one a 7.5/10.

Good things- Finally! I've been waiting so long to see Kyle let out the anger. The fight and destroying Cartman's property were probably my favorite parts of the episode. Granted, I'm a Kyle fan... I relate to him pretty well, and now I can relate on the vengance/violence aspect with Kyle. The ripping on Jimmy Buffet got a few giggles out of me, but that's only because I know this kid at my school who goes to every single Buffet concert that comes to my state (obsession, much?). The opener was pretty cool, it's nice to see a change here and there. The Africa joke and the money joke were alright, you could look into that on a deeper scale (though I'll save that discussion for another time).

Bad things- I could see the plot miles away. It was just too predictable, and the ending was pretty meh, for lack of a better word to describe it (rushed, perhaps?). The HIV-positive joke got old after about the second time. I guess I just didn't get enough laughs this episode, besides the fight.
._.
Owlday5

Postby Owlday5 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:41 am

Nerys wrote:Cartman is sooooo in love with Kyle...
I know it, you know it, Matt and Trey know it......
...and I'm not just sure, I'm HIV-positive! :D

I'm thinking the same thing.
I'm a MAD owl with a CRAZY life.
Rmporter11

Postby Rmporter11 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:09 am

thought it was funny when jimmy buffet sang cure burger in paradise.
aenariel

Postby aenariel » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:25 am

I gve this new episode a 5.5/10.

I have every other episode and have been re-watching them lately, namely the older ones. I saw this new episode right after watching "Red Hot Catholic Love";

The show is extremely slow-paced nowadays. Storylines got shorter and scenes got definitely longer - that's not a bad thing, except scenes didn't get any stronger than before. I got a few laughs, there were certainly a few awesome lines there (HIV-positive anyone?), a few scenes that will stand on my memory for a while. But overall, I feel SP has slowly decayed into some kind of political satyre show, and I sincerely don't like it. Mindless childish nonsense was way more fun, back in the days.

Nevertheless, the last episode of the 11th season put my hopes hgh for a return to the old plots and I hope this 12th season returns to that.

Overall, 5.5/10. Can't go higher than that, after having seen so much awesom-O episodes lately.
Let's look for treasure!

*ahem*...

F*ck you.

If you have any questions you may direct them to that brick wall over there ---->
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:33 am

ploughman wrote:I'd have to say I was very disappointed with "Tonsil Trouble" (S12E01). The premise of having your two main characters "cured" of an HIV infection is just too much of a no-go, plausibility-wise,

But a main character dying nearly every episode and returning the next is plausible?

I agree with CartmansCuzzin, if SP didn't focus on real events, the show wouldn't still be here, they had to evolve from jokes, farts and gags to real events. The show grew with me, and I like that, better than me out growing the show.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:46 am

HAcoreRD wrote:But a main character dying nearly every episode and returning the next is plausible?

Totally implausible, but just a fact of life for these boys and so not a significant plot device. Cartman and Kyle getting AIDS falls somewhere between that and "Kenny Dies," where the boys finally dealt with their lives once Kenny was gone for good.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”