*1201 Tonsil Trouble* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

ShaneHaughey

Re: *Episode 1201 Post-Air Discussion*

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:59 am

1- The next person who uses HIV-positive or negative in relation to the episode will be sterilized. Seriously, it is annoying.XD

2- People have a right to critcize the show if they don't like the episode. I defended the show a bit before, but this was not an A+ for me and I gave why.

3- People's complaints have not been because of the topic, but in reality how the topic was handled. I have yet to see any who we care about say, "THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE DA HIV!11" they have been saying how it wasn't done correctly. Yet again, their opinion and anyone who says that they should stop watching needs to be hut over the head.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
ur_a_towel

Postby ur_a_towel » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:06 pm

Episode grade: C to C+
i'll be honest i was really disappointed with the episode. it seemed like they were trying to make it as EPIC as possible, but failed to live up to the billing (IMO).

don't get me wrong there are very funny parts throughout this episode, and the basic plotline of giving cartman HIV is awesome (he certainly deserves it). but for some reason the execution on this episode was off.

i'm sure they will come back with better stuff this run, so i'll take this one mediocre episode with the good ones.
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:11 pm

Have to agree with Shane here.

What really grinds my gears is that, on every thread, you have people who think that everything Matt and Trey produce is gold and seemingly think that they're right when they criticise people who look at an episode in an entertainment and artistic view as well as a neutral one.

So these criticisms, to be fair, are allowed to be shared. South Park can get worse if we have no proper feedback, good or bad. I'm sure they appreciate that more than constantly good, ass kissing feedback.

Another point I found was that the music was deliberately childish even when Cartman being diagnosed with HIV had taken place. That was pretty funny :P

The next person who uses HIV-positive or negative in relation to the episode will be sterilized. Seriously, it is annoying.XD

Can't promise anything, Shane-O. Stop being so HIV Negative. :mrgreen:
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:26 pm

I (HIV?)positively agree with Shane/CartmanMills that the fangirls/boys of Matt and Trey suck ass. Sure i don't want any of the show's haters on here, but a few neutril voices would be better than any who love in the face of all evidence.

South Park can get worse if we have no proper feedback, good or bad.

Not that they ever read any of this :)

Another point I found was that the music was deliberately childish even when Cartman being diagnosed with HIV had taken place.

They did that gag too much in Butter's very own episode, Kenny Dies and the season 1/2 pre-episode Matt and Trey talks for it to not be predictable for major laughs. Too much happy music beforehand made it predictable.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
ur_a_towel

Postby ur_a_towel » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:27 pm

2 more things real quick.
first, the "i'm not sure, i'm HIV positive" line was funny the first time in the episode, and stopped being funny as soon as they repeated it. and it gets less and less funny with more people saying it.

second, IMO, the best episodes are ones where the storyline is the boys being boys. not them trying to cure AIDS.
largesponge

Postby largesponge » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:36 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:1- The next person who uses HIV-positive or negative in relation to the episode will be sterilized. Seriously, it is annoying.XD

2- People have a right to critcize the show if they don't like the episode. I defended the show a bit before, but this was not an A+ for me and I gave why.

3- People's complaints have not been because of the topic, but in reality how the topic was handled. I have yet to see any who we care about say, "THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE DA HIV!11" they have been saying how it wasn't done correctly. Yet again, their opinion and anyone who says that they should stop watching needs to be hut over the head.

Thank You Shane!

All three points exactly perfect! (especially 3, thats how i felt!)
Yes, at first I was happy to be learning how to read. It seemed exciting and magical, but then I read this: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I read every last word of this garbage, and because of this piece of sh*t, I am never reading again
airmancoop44

Postby airmancoop44 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:20 pm

Average episode. Not bad, not great. Better than most sh*t on TV still.
LawrenceTaylor

Postby LawrenceTaylor » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Making it clear, I really am not being a kiss-ass when I say I liked that episode. Basically, I'm trying to get away from comments that are just blunt and say "It wasn't funny" or something along those lines. If you want a laugh machine, go to Youtube. Sure SP is comedy, but whats SP worth if it doesn't provoke as well? (no sh*t)... Its a hopeless struggle though. People will still say the same complaint (like some of you I see also worried, with no explanation).
And I'm not being a kiss-ass either when I trust Matt and Trey's judgment. I can understand why they make the choices each episode that they do, usually. So I respect them for it. Ultimately, I enjoyed the ep, but was expecting something a bit more tight. But we don't know how this ep will compliment the season, or if its just the launch pad. It reminds me of the start of Season 6, quality eps, but ones that feel to me like standard eps. After the first few though they got really awesome. A season of TV is also about the art of where to place your guns.
Jaber612

Postby Jaber612 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:01 am

I really liked the music in the beginning of some of the scenes. It almost almost had a "leave it to beaver" feel to it. Perfect to an AIDS episode.
Wishful_Thinking

Postby Wishful_Thinking » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:03 am

I'll try to not be a kiss-ass fan, but I really did enjoy this episode. But I am aware that the show is turning out very different from what it used to be. This episode didn't evoke much laughter from me (only the HIV-positive part did, and that was only because a friend of mine responded to a question in that manner once before).
In my opinion, the humor has gotten less funny since season 10.5, but I do enjoy the plots more. At least the show isn't going back to how it was in the first 2 seasons, I like the child characters better when they are more adult-like, in contrast to others' opinions.
Levani

Postby Levani » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:15 am

well I think whole episode was HiV positive.anyone who says they didn't like the episode is just being HIV negative.
patrickov

Postby patrickov » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:46 am

Poor Cartman... got pissed off at the end yet Kyle went off to break his xBox.

Ending is good but the middle is quite plain.
6.5/10
A Chinese Butters wearing a Bavarian shirt
Cartman5678

Postby Cartman5678 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:26 am

This episode was not bad, but also not good at the same time. The HIV Positive joke was funny maybe the first or second time, but after that, it became stale and overused. The part where Kyle breaks all of Cartman's possessions was funny, and was one of my expected reactions of Kyle. I think Kyle deserved to be infected with HIV because he shouldn't have laughed at Cartman when they found out about him having HIV.

Well, that's enough of my ranting.

Overall this episode gets a ranking of 8.5/10 due to the fact that the HIV Positive joke was overused and that there wasn't any focus on all the other residents of South Park.
polymorph

Postby polymorph » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:41 am

Cartman5678 wrote:Overall this episode gets a ranking of 8.5/10 due to the fact that the HIV Positive joke was overused and that there wasn't any focus on all the other residents of South Park.

My personal opinion on the HIV possitive joke is that it's like Manbearpig and thus is inexplicably timeless.
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:58 am

Sorry Shane., I use HIV-Positive/HIV-Negative now daily. It'll become pop culture soon enough.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”