*1201 Tonsil Trouble* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: *Episode 1201 Post-Air Discussion*

Postby Big-Will » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:38 am

candies wrote:What is everybody problem with this episode? Someone please explain.

Explain? If you've read the thread and can't figure it out, there's no point telling you.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:12 am

Big-Will wrote:
candies wrote:What is everybody problem with this episode? Someone please explain.

Explain? If you've read the thread and can't figure it out, there's no point telling you.

Heh, big-wiil, he wants cliff notes.

Candies, everyone has different tastes as some saw the ending rushed, and not everyone enjoyed the HIV-Positive jokes. Plus people dislike Kyle having the upper hand.
chel

Postby chel » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:16 am

The Jimmy Buffet reference was what made me happiest.
"Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly!"
"Intelligent and friendly on rye bread, with some mayonaise."
nicmarlonsp

Postby nicmarlonsp » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:46 pm

What is everybody problem with this episode? Someone please explain. [2]
jlong4

Postby jlong4 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:31 pm

I think, now that I have seen the episode a couple of times, that it is pretty damn funny. Exactly what I expect from the boys and look forward to the upcoming new episodes.

Did anyone else happen to get the reference to the movie "Philadelphia" (Tom Hanks - Antonio Banderas)...that is Cartman wearing the same baseball cap and scarf that Tom Hanks does in the movie? Absolute genius!!! Wasn't even talked about but when Cartman started wearing that hat and scarf I just lost it...

As far as the money situation and AIDS, a bit of a "slam" on our government and the cuts that have taken place over the last few years on AIDS research.

All in all...I give it a 9/10.
Tofu

Postby Tofu » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:52 pm

I sat through the episode in a half-shocked "Oh no they dinnnn't!" sort of way the first time through, but I re-watched it the next morning and laughed my ass off.

The Cartman/Kyle jokes were hilariously awful and Kyle beating the crap out of Cartman/'s stuff was incredibly pleasing. :D I hate Cartman so very, very much. (I mean, when you *expect* a character to purposefully infect someone, I'd say that's a decent reason to stick 'em on your sh*t list.)

Also, I'm not sure if this why they did it, but $4.1 billion dollars was recently cut from the International Affairs budget, aka, African relief more-or-less. Just in the last day-or-so did an amendment restore it. Because this episode was so relevant to a cause I feel strongly about, I appreciated it even more.

(On a similarly serious note, my one major beef with the episode was the interchanging of HIV/AIDs. I kept screaming at my TV, They don't have AIDS goddamnit!" You'd hope people would know they're totally different at this point. D:)

But on a purely SP-standard, it was a good start, but not necessarily the best. Kinda like the first episode of last season... maybe a 7/10. I'm not upset. I'm sure this season will supply us with a lot of solid 10/10s.
Come on, people, let's be people now!
Hybrid-people-driving people now!
Come on, everybody be people now!
McCormick Fan

Postby McCormick Fan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:00 pm

I know it's a bit late, but i managed to see this episode (Where i normally go to watch SP doesn't have Season 12 yet) and i'll let it pass, not the funniest episode, but kept me entertained. :D

My Rating: 7.5/10
The Most Under-Rated FanFic Writer since "Cyberdemons on Holiday" was banned.
SouthofHeaven

Postby SouthofHeaven » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:50 pm

Good but not great. :D
Who's a jigga wha?
MindT

Postby MindT » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:08 am

Opinion is like an assh*le,everybody has one.
Stop trying to debate and convince the others that you're right and they're wrong.

My personal view on this episode :

Weak overall.

Had some pretty genious moments and refferences,gotta admit that,but the plot and some dialogue seemed forced and gave the impression of "slow".

Having followed this show from season 4 onwards(meaning that I waited episodes to air,saw the first 3 seasons in a week's time :p)I can say that up to season 8,this show was flawless,only 2-3 average episodes overall,but unfortunately seasons 9-10-11 had some really bad/average/let's-write-and-release-sth episodes.

Oh well onto the next episode!

Keep em coming!
Sc**w you guys,I'm going home...
handlyhamster

Postby handlyhamster » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:23 am

it started off good, but i felt the ending was poor. it left me unsatisfied, unfulfilled. almost like they didnt know how to cure the aids, so they used this "cash cure". kind of weak. it was not the best ending. it was a....crab people ending.

My fav. episodes are still "Cow Days", "Cartman gets an anal probe" and "Mecha-Streisand (sp?)" in that order.
A SouthPark Orange

Postby A SouthPark Orange » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:23 pm

HAcoreRD wrote: Plus people dislike Kyle having the upper hand.

Not me. Regardless of what I said about Kyle in TT, I still liked the fact that he "won" . I prefer if it evens out - Cartman having the upper hand sometimes and Kyle sometimes. That way the ending remains unpredictable. Plus, if Kyle would always win SP wouldn't be much different than typical "good guy beats bad guy" - series and if Cartman - always - had the upper hand - well that would depress the hell out of me. But you're still right: Overall, I have to admit that prefer it if Cartman has the last laugh just a little more often than Kyle, which seems to be what's happening in the show now anyway: It shows that life isn't fair, like so many of the darker episodes ("Stanley's Cup", "Woodland Critter Christmas").

Now that I've seen the episode a second time, I have to admit that I - as I already expected - liked it better than at the first viewing. Most of the jokes still didn't work for me, but I can see now that they could have been funny if they would have been executed in a different way. It's still not one of my favourite eps, but I also won't rank it among my top ten of worst .It must have been false expectations both regarding the content of the episode and Kyle's character that made me hate it in the first place. I also want to make it clear that even though I didn't like his reaction to Cartman's HIV, I never thought that he actually deserved to get the virus.
I'll give it a 4/10 or a 5/10 for the message.
Last edited by A SouthPark Orange on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pip: Besides, I hate french people.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Mind wrote: The plot and some dialogue seemed forced and gave the impression of "slow".

Thanks for putting into words what i felt about this episode. It just really floated by, so unlike most of the seriese action-packed episodes.

HardcorE wrote:Plus people dislike Kyle having the upper hand.

Correction; YOU dislike it when Kyle gets the upper hand. Some people like Kyle. I prefer them to be on a fairly even playing field, and love it when Cartman wins now and then, but Kyle needs to have some victories. Not everyone hates the JOO you know!

A South Park Orrange wrote:It must have been false expectations both regarding the content of the episode and Kyle's character that made me hate it in the first place

Exactly why you should never have too high expectations for anything; then you'll never get disapointed when it fails to meet them. I didn't have very high expectations for the episode (after the list) but the original and outrageous ideas I heard tossed around on here after the rather desceptive episode summery came about made the story Matt and Trey chose rather old hat and boring. Kyle seemed more Out of Charactar than in most Slash, like he's suddenly regressed to his hate-filled season 1-4 self from the relitively enlightened and forgiving season 9-10 Kyle. Then again, he was an ass in the List and and bit of an ass in Immaginationland (didn't jump on saving Stan) so we should've seen it coming.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
clyde frog

Postby clyde frog » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:52 am

I thought this episode was so awesome. One of my favorites yet. I heard some negative feedback and I really don't get why. I'm just upset Clyde Frog is gone. Hopefully they'll sow him back :mrgreen:
Maury, I am out of control. Yeah, I use drugs. I can do what I waunt, biatch! Yeah, I have sex, and I don't use protection! It's my hot body; I'll do what I waunt! I don't go to school and I kill people! What-evah! I'll do what I waunt!
pascalbg

Postby pascalbg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:48 pm

That episode is awesome!

I was prepared for something big for that season premiere, and I got what I want!

It was hilarious! I really laught when Kyle was about to cry but instead laugh. And many other scene like "he gave me AIDS" or "f*ck your ice cream!" or the Jimmy thing.

But the point of this episode is also very good and so true. First, people don't care anymore of AIDS, it's so eighties, they prefer cancer, even if some are curable. And mostly, second, the cure for AIDS; money. It's like, Magic is still alive cause he haves alot of money for paying treatment and stuff, he's healthy. And for all the things that can help to cure, we need cash. And I also laugh, even if it's very true and deep, when the doctors said to the african that they just need cash to cure themself. But the africans seems to already know that or even if they don't, they don't even have cash.

Well, it's a fabulous episode and I was glad to see it uncensored on the comedy network in Canada!
There's no Canada like French Canada, it's the best Canada in ze land! Ze other canada, is bullsh*t canada. If you live here for a day you'd understand :p
iamdavidarnott

Postby iamdavidarnott » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:50 pm

absolutely agree witht he last post there, totally awful start to the season. with cartman continually shouting so much, and no interesting witty twist it is like southpark has started to spend more time on animation that story. its the crappiness of the animation and clever way SP can twist a story that makes SP so classic. So far the whole of season 12 has been a huge dissapointment (with exception maybe of the cat piss one)

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”