*1202: Britney's New Look* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

ShaneHaughey

Re: *1202: Britney's New Look* Post-Air Discussion

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:26 pm

I've already discussed this episode in this thread and about six others. It sucked for reasons that have taken up around 25,000 words of my arguing. If people liked it, great, but what irks me about people like you is that you insult people who have differing opinions than you then never explain your remarks.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:24 pm

steveehermann wrote:This episode was absolutely "brilliant"
After I got over the shock of the "in your face" graphics, I thought the writers sent an excellent message to us, the public, of how we build up and idolize people, only later to utterly destroy and tear them apart. I was laughing and shaking my head thinking, "It's so funny and so true."
The subplots were ironic as well. I am sickened how we stick our heads in the sand in the face of important world issues, while we are consumed with nonsense about our "superstars"
Bravo South Park! This episode is a classic and a disturbing mirror of our American society. :unhoodedkenny: steveehermann

..that's what pissed me off about the episode; that it's "US.." well, IT AIN'T ME! And I'm sure there are a lot of other people within "the public" that this broad, condescending generalization doesn't apply to.

Furthermore, people in our society wouldn't become consumed with celebrities if the media didn't constantly push them on us. In the modern era, from the time you're born, the media is constantly telling you, "THIS IS COOL; YOU LIKE THIS. YOU WANT TO BE LIKE THIS." ...and since thinking for yourself is so downplayed in our society, people become the zombies that the media wants them to become.

In the end, as I've said before, Britney's condition is nobody's fault but her own.
Papelucho

Postby Papelucho » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:25 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:
..that's what pissed me off about the episode; that it's "US.." well, IT AIN'T ME! And I'm sure there are a lot of other people within "the public" that this broad, condescending generalization doesn't apply to.

Furthermore, people in our society wouldn't become consumed with celebrities if the media didn't constantly push them on us. In the modern era, from the time you're born, the media is constantly telling you, "THIS IS COOL; YOU LIKE THIS. YOU WANT TO BE LIKE THIS." ...and since thinking for yourself is so downplayed in our society, people become the zombies that the media wants them to become.

In the end, as I've said before, Britney's condition is nobody's fault but her own.

Good response Pip Tweek.
I think that the message for the episode is that there is a silent agreement between the public and the media. I respect what you say about how things are pushed on us from the day that we are born, and I agree. The media is not the only source of these pressures though! They are everywhere.

I guess that this is a culture of expectations, that is not interested in what the individual has to offer. It wants to know how the individual can serve everyone else's disturbing beliefs. I don't believe that the media is the only source of these expectations, it is only the vehicle for them.

Brittney Spears has had expectations put on her by almost everyone. When they sacrificed her in the episode, it showed that putting expectations on others and telling other people what they should be is a destructive and merciless addiction.

As sick as it is, it reflects my society. At this point in my life I still haven't found a healthy way to not be a part of my society.
Tom_SF

Postby Tom_SF » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:08 am

That was F_____ing SICK! Try being funny with out the shock value; it just doesn't work.
lolcats4ever

Postby lolcats4ever » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:49 pm

have you guys noticed that Kenny hasnt died once this season. Hes getting smarter :D
shelley

Postby shelley » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:42 pm

My daughter Kori (likes to be called shelly after Stan's sister) loves the song Lovelation from the Brittney Spears episode, she has a spectrum of Autism and listens to it often, I just wanted you to know it makes her happy.
Hayley B

Postby Hayley B » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:51 pm

shelley wrote:My daughter Kori (likes to be called shelly after Stan's sister) loves the song Lovelation from the Brittney Spears episode, she has a spectrum of Autism and listens to it often, I just wanted you to know it makes her happy.

That is a wonderful story and it's cute that your daughter wants to be called Shelley. :)
Hayley B: My own name Location: Delaware,USA
Favorite South Park Character: *too many* But I like Kenny,Kyle,Cartman,Butters,Satan,& Damien.
CaptainCameron

Postby CaptainCameron » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:56 pm

Didn't like the episode at all. Worst episode of the run and one of the worst episodes in the history of the show.
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:59 pm

this was a good episode but i didnt laugh that much

i so hated britney spears in her first years, but now i feel just like this episode, i cant help but feel sorry for her, all the big media and the paparazzis totally creep me out and i dont think i could handle it

how sad is it that the whole media/paparazzi thing was hardly exhagerated at all? i so agreed with the boys when they kept repeating that they should leave her alone, so this episode actually made me pretty sad more than anything

britney without a head and talking all weirdly was funny
"Disaster at the MTV awards. People are ridiculing Britney Spears. Her performance was awful, Tom. She looked tired, she looked fat, she didn't have a head. It was just completely phoned in. No doubt, Tom, that girl has major issues"
she didn't have a head loool!

and kyle as britney was hilarious too
IceCream

Postby IceCream » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:41 am

I really wanted to see what they were going to do to Miley/Hanah Montana
r41n

Postby r41n » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:13 pm

This episode might've been fun, but the timing was wrong. I mean, way to kick someone when they're down. Britney's life is pretty much a wreck, and the episode failed at being funny precisely for that reason. Have a bit of a heart, people. [Just a bit, otherwise you wouldn't be able to enjoy SP at all :P ]

BTW, the episode didn't gross me out at all. WTH, it's just a cartoon.
R13

Postby R13 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:12 am

Lol, Oh dude I loved how they used "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson almost to the T when they killed britney. That was awesome! Especially at the part when it stated, "You'll have to go ahead and I'll catch up with you." And also the part where they give little Davey the camera. But in the story they give him a stone. Omg! I love how the animators put a classic story into it, good job!!!
Himmelgeher

Postby Himmelgeher » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:13 pm

Tom_SF wrote:That was F_____ing SICK! Try being funny with out the shock value; it just doesn't work.

Doesn't work? Are you insane? Shock value is what makes South Park South Park. Did you miss Scott Tenerman Must Die? Did you not burst into laughter when you learned he was eating his parents because of $16.12. It was hilarious. South Park is always hilarious. What's wrong with you? Do you need therapy?
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:42 pm

^ you know i actually didnt like the end of scot tenorman must die tbh, the rest was awesome

but i agree, the shock thing has always been about south park's main characteristic, it wouldnt have become so popular without it

and i did laugh a lot with headless britney :P
CaptainCameron

Postby CaptainCameron » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:03 am

Himmelgeher wrote:
Tom_SF wrote:That was F_____ing SICK! Try being funny with out the shock value; it just doesn't work.

Doesn't work? Are you insane? Shock value is what makes South Park South Park. Did you miss Scott Tenerman Must Die? Did you not burst into laughter when you learned he was eating his parents because of $16.12. It was hilarious. South Park is always hilarious. What's wrong with you? Do you need therapy?

Main difference is that in #504, the eating parents thing happened at the very end and was the culmination of a non-shock plot. Britney being headless happened early on and was the main humor of the show. Guess what made the end to STMD funny? Why it happened and how obsessed Cartman was during the plot, along with all the hijinks that went along with it. If Cartman had just bounded on screen at the start of the show and told everybody how he had forced someone to eat their parents over $16.12 and then the episode focused on the parent eating as it's main humor, then the episode would have failed.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”