*1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

James--76

Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion

Postby James--76 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:47 pm

Shiksah wrote:
HAcoreRD wrote:Sure enough, at work, I was the only one who thought last night's episode was good, but lacking. The guys at work pointed something out to me, that i guess I neglected, maybe you guys did too, maybe not. But here was their point.

South Park season 11 was incredibly strong, we had "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson", "Cartman Sucks", "Fantastic Easter Special", "Le Petit Tourette", All 3 Imaginationland episodes, "Guitar Queero" and they ended it strong with "The List". So out of 14, they had 9 strong episodes, 3 decent (More Crap, The snuke, Night of the Living Homeless) and Lice Capades and D-Yikes as the 2 weaker episodes.

Season 10 had "Make Love, not Warcraft", possibly the most well known episode to date, even to non SP fans, "Manbearpig", "Miss teacher bangs a boy", "Mystery of the Urinal Deuce", "Tsst", and "Go god Go/(XII)" and "Cartoon Wars (Part 1/2)". That's 9/14 again strong, with "Stanley's cup", "Return of Chef", "Smug Alert" and "Hell on Earth 2006" going decent, strong to some viewers, with "Million Little fibers" being the weakest episode.

Now, Season 12. The overall from my coworkers and from the average I read on here seem to vary. Some thought "Tonsil Trouble" was sheer brilliance, as was "Britney's New look", while others thought they were weak. But seriously, A weak season was sorta expected, almost like the American economy getting in a recession. When was the last bad season? Season 6? (IMO), Season 7/8 weren't bad, 9 had it's charm. We were due for a weak one, and I guess we can use the Writer Strike as a scape goat for this. I don't know if the Season's 1/2 over yet, but I'm sure this episode will get stronger. My personal bias on who/what I want to see aside, I'm certain as a fan of South Park since it's debut there'll be plenty worth remembering from this season, if "Major Boobage" wasn't gold to many of you guys and nothing in the other 5 brought promise, in theory there's one more episode before the season split, therefore they'll have plenty of weeks to sit and brain storm.

Take these thoughts into account guys.

HAcoreRD does comment on something I agree with. There are moments in South Park that weren't the best. I personally thought that Season 6 wasn't really that good either.

Also, it's nice to know that I'm not the only big fan who thought that this episode was good. The only replies to my very 1st post were from people who obviously don't know me. One thought that I wasn't a fan and haven't been watching South Park for a long time. I'M A HUGE FAN!! Just because they thought it was bad doesn't mean that I have to feel the same way and that my feelings are wrong. I've seen every episode of the series so far and saying that, I still like this episode very much.

Thanks HAcoreRD for your comments.

There will always be people who will disagree its all down to peoples personal tastes i loved the episode where as my mate thought it was bland and lacking the 4 boys.And season 6 i do agree that it was not the strongest season but it did have it moments.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:56 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:@Hardcore:
They have eight episodes left for the season- one more for this run. Also, the writer's strike didn't affect the show in any meaningful way. Trey Parker writes the majority of the show, the vast majority, and he didn't go with the strike. Plus, the strike ended before the season started(Right?) and the show is written on a week-by-week basis. So, the writer's strike couldn't have affected it.

That, and the fact that their writers are not WGA members - the show was not affected at all. Writers for animated shows in general aren't unionized.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Shelby69

Postby Shelby69 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:13 pm

Kensuke said he didn't want Butters, but he wanted Kenny. Butters is 100 times funnier than Kenny, Kenny can't even talk properly.
Butters is always thrown into compromising positions getting him in trouble with parents all the time and the things he says in his cheery stuttering voice are hilarious. When Kyle responds with "God damn it Butters!" it's always great.
Kenny just mumbles around and dies. Like the Michael Jackson epiosde when he complains about pretending to be Blanket, they just say whatever dude at least you finally get to do something! Kenny could be played by any other character and Butters is perfect.
Josh13

Postby Josh13 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:00 pm

I think this episode was great. I like how The Internet was a giant wireless router that greatly resembles the cheap Linksys models they sell at Wal-mart. I have one myself and it just cuts out sometime. And the solution is: unplug it, and plug it back in! Amazing!

But yeah this was a good episode. I've noticed that a lot of people like to bitch about how bad new episodes are, yet they keep watching every week. But maybe they're so critical of South Park because their shows that they write and make millions with are doing so much better.
Delilah

Postby Delilah » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:07 pm

Shelby69 wrote:Kensuke said he didn't want Butters, but he wanted Kenny. Butters is 100 times funnier than Kenny, Kenny can't even talk properly.
Butters is always thrown into compromising positions getting him in trouble with parents all the time and the things he says in his cheery stuttering voice are hilarious. When Kyle responds with "God damn it Butters!" it's always great.
Kenny just mumbles around and dies. Like the Michael Jackson epiosde when he complains about pretending to be Blanket, they just say whatever dude at least you finally get to do something! Kenny could be played by any other character and Butters is perfect.

I totally agree with you. To be honest, I think Kenny's the most one dimensional and, well, boring character on the show. And then Butters is so cute, and has such an interesting, dimensional personality, and I just think overall he's more funny then Kenny. Although I don't want MnT to completely eliminate Kenny as a main character, I do think they need to keep his role to a minimum, unless they plan on improving his character.
McCormick Fan

Postby McCormick Fan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:23 pm

Josh13 wrote: I've noticed that a lot of people like to bitch about how bad new episodes are, yet they keep watching every week. But maybe they're so critical of South Park because their shows that they write and make millions with are doing so much better.

Personally, if i find myself not liking an episode, i just sit tight and hope the next's one's good.
The Most Under-Rated FanFic Writer since "Cyberdemons on Holiday" was banned.
DevilAngel16

Postby DevilAngel16 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:30 pm

@Delilah: I'm guessing Major Boobage wasn't enough for you?

Anyway, that episode was um...interesting?

I personally didn't like it that much. It was just mediocre, at best, in my opinion. The first few scenes had some funny moments (Randy jacking off that first time was funny.) Watching the town go into chaos (yet again) was also funny.

The Stan/Shelley moments were cute. I felt bad for Stan. Shelley's such a bitch. XD She's so awkward, too.

But you know, it's a shame that Stan is starting to fade into the background a little bit. This was the biggest role he had all season so far. Hopefully he'll start to make a good comeback again. I'm sure he will, though. A lot of people like Stan (including me.)

But anyway, the fact that the solution to the whole internet problem was so unbelievably simple was pretty funny too.

Other than that...meh. I never read Grapes of Wrath, so I didn't get the reference at first.

At least the message was easy to understand, that society relies so much on the internet. It's true that most of us would be screwed without it.

Oh, and one other thing that I just have to mention: that scene with Randy and his spooge everywhere was absolutely f*cking DISGUSTING. Ewwwww.

This isn't my least favorite episode of the run so far, though. (Britney's New Look is). I hope the last episode of the run kicks ass.
Wiggum

Postby Wiggum » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:38 pm

I agree. This episode was a major mis-hit. The idea of poking fun at the extreme over-use of internet was pretty interesting, and the scenes of Shelly beating up Stan and Randy shooting spooge all over and blaming a ghost were pretty hilarious, but the episode itself basically sucked ass. I sometimes can't believe that the people who came up with "Imaginationland" just six months ago can make such a lousy episode. :( Hopefully next week will be better.
Pfhor

Postby Pfhor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:47 pm

I really enjoyed this episode, probably moreso because I would act in a manner only slightly less over the top than Stan's family did if my internet just disappeared one day. The jokes weren't completely direct, but the satire just made me chuckle throughout the whole thing. The ending was so perfect I was standing up laughing at how clever it was.

But my favorite part of this episode is the usage of Shelly, they haven't used her since season 6 as far as I can remember and I'm glad she has airtime here. What's best is she is physically abusing Stan throughout the episode.

Also, this really isn't relevant to the topic at hand, but season 6 is my favorite season of South Park, and wtf how do some people not think this is a strong season? Every episode, except for maybe like, "Red Hot Catholic Love" was completely amazing and full of memorable moments. Tweak holding a rocket launcher, Bebe's microscopic boobs making the boys act like monkeys, the Death camp of Intolerance, Butters getting grounded for performing liposuction, lemmiwinks in the ass of doom, Cartman calling the Harry Potter kids fags, and others that would take up too much room to list out. I loved most episodes of every season that came after it, but damn season 6 was South Park in it's prime.
largesponge

Postby largesponge » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Pfhor wrote:Also, this really isn't relevant to the topic at hand, but season 6 is my favorite season of South Park, and wtf how do some people not think this is a strong season? Every episode, except for maybe like, "Red Hot Catholic Love" was completely amazing and full of memorable moments. Tweak holding a rocket launcher, Bebe's microscopic boobs making the boys act like monkeys, the Death camp of Intolerance, Butters getting grounded for performing liposuction, lemmiwinks in the ass of doom, Cartman calling the Harry Potter kids homosexuals, and others that would take up too much room to list out. I loved most episodes of every season that came after it, but damn season 6 was South Park in it's prime.

in agreement over here! i felt season 6 was an excellent season, and among my favourites. my least favourite episode in that season was TaPMT.

shame we only have one more until the break :(
i wish they would make the seasons longer, even if only by one ep per run (16 a season sounds good)

correction: got confused, loved T+P Movie Trailer, mixed it up with behind the blow :wink:
Last edited by largesponge on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, at first I was happy to be learning how to read. It seemed exciting and magical, but then I read this: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I read every last word of this garbage, and because of this piece of sh*t, I am never reading again
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Delilah wrote:
Shelby69 wrote:Kensuke said he didn't want Butters, but he wanted Kenny. Butters is 100 times funnier than Kenny, Kenny can't even talk properly.

I totally agree with you. To be honest, I think Kenny's the most one dimensional and, well, boring character on the show. And then Butters is so cute, and has such an interesting, dimensional personality, and I just think overall he's more funny then Kenny. Although I don't want MnT to completely eliminate Kenny as a main character, I do think they need to keep his role to a minimum, unless they plan on improving his character.

I agree that butters is a stronger character than Kenny, but only because Kenny can't talk, theeefore he gets less lines, less lines = less screen time. Personally, I was a huge Kenny fan when the show started. Got the plush Kenny, the magnets, this plastic Kenny statue thingy (like 6-7 inches tall). so naturally when butters came and took his spot i cant help but hate Butters, and since Kenny is backseat, I became a Stan fan since Stan's personality is the closest of the 5 to mine.

M/T shouldn't eliminate Kenny, they should go outside the boy. if Kenny's muffles in the box, clear speech or captions is outside the box.

Imo, I hated Season 6. Disc one is so slow because they take 5 episodes to build Butters up, and Stan and Kyle ragging on him seems out of character, well, for their present forms, so i guess it was evolution, though their nasty brat forms died Season 4 really.

Jared and Future Self were the better episodes of 6, in my eyes. Rest seemed slow, especially Maury.
db0

Postby db0 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:29 pm

I just love the allegories they make in every show.

Well done once again and take care for the water ;)
Butterskicksass

Postby Butterskicksass » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:36 pm

Delilah wrote:

YOU ROCK!!! I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU ANYMORE!!! KENNY IS OKAY... BUT WE NEED MORE BUTTERS!!! THANKS FOR THE POST.... IT LETS ME KNOW THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT THINK LIKE ME!!! HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! :wink:

PS... OHIO IS PRETTY COOL!!!
Do you like fishsticks? Then you must be a gay fish!
Favorite Character: Butters of course!
Favorite Episode: Fishsticks now... Was Fellowship of the rings.
Delilah

Postby Delilah » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:00 pm

DevilAngel16 wrote:@Delilah: I'm guessing Major Boobage wasn't enough for you?

How did Major Boobage develop Kenny's character? :?

@Butterskicksass: Well thank you, I really appreciate that! I'm glad to know that there are other people that think we need more Butters! :D
Kensuke

Postby Kensuke » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:15 pm

True, butters is a funny character, but lately his jokes are getting old, and I don't find him so funny anymore. Kenny has been an original since day one and it's not right to replace him for no apparent reason. A poor, perverted Kid who does deprived acts for money, can be funny if used correctly. Take Major boobage for example, He sniffed cat piss and got addicted to it because he liked to mess around with a lady with large boobs. Them asking Kenny a sexual question and Kenny responding with a non-comprehendable answer hasn't gotten old for me.To me, Butters has gotten old and now whenever I hear the "I'll get grounded" gag, it's like Rosanne singing the national anthem while flicking me in the ear 100 times.
"If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss" ~ Eminem

AxayPaulene wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:But he (RideTheLightning)wanted Kensuke's hot man chowder.
Don't we all?

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”