*1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:33 pm

loveable rascal wrote:i knew it was aired on yom kippur, but how does that make it antisemetic?

The same way "Bloody Mary" airing during the Feast of the Immaculate Conception was anti-Catholic.

And Spielberg is Jewish.

And Yom Kippur is a High Holy Day in Judaism.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
loveable rascal

Postby loveable rascal » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:29 pm

Big-Will wrote:
loveable rascal wrote:i knew it was aired on yom kippur, but how does that make it antisemetic?

The same way "Bloody Mary" airing during the Feast of the Immaculate Conception was anti-Catholic.

And Spielberg is Jewish.

silly, silly religious beliefs.
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:25 pm

For Catholics almost every day is a feast day so any humor-challenged Catholic could play that card any time they wanted.
loveable rascal

Postby loveable rascal » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:40 pm

termsofuse wrote:For Catholics almost every day is a feast day so any humor-challenged Catholic could play that card any time they wanted.

i think that could be said about a lot of people though.
Kobb

Postby Kobb » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 am

CartmanMills wrote:
could watch Meet the Spartans if I wanted random movie references,

Eurgh. Just as I was living life without the title of that crappy movie ever coming into my life, you brought it up. DAMN YOOOOUUUUUUUU! :D

But I wanted to comment on something Knobb brought up - that he likes the episode because it pissed so many of it's fans off that it's good? Really? See, that doesn't work for me. That would probably be the most lamebrain idea ever - M&T have nothing to gain from alienating viewers. That's exactly what's happening - people are starting to hate South Park for being movie references constantly and being unfunny. Fair enough for people who liked this - nothing wrong with that. But for me, the idea that this episode was funny because people criticised it for being unfunny doesn't work. How does that make sense? That would be somewhat sabotaging itself for no reason other than to attack fans who hold South Park up such to high standards. That would lose viewers through all sorts of means and do more damage in the long run - nah, this episode is grinding at some people because it's just so different now that it just raises smiles, not belly-laughter like it used to.

I never said I LIKED the episode, I said I had RESPECT for it. I mean, episodes like Guitar Queer-o seemed too commercialized for South Park and people LOVED them, and for what reason? This episode wasn't that good but it's just funny that just because the episode was mediocre and from the new season, people freaked out. People didn't do that with episodes like Pip and Jakovasaurs because they weren't in the new season, one of the biggest reasons to me. I liked those episodes, by the way, but a lot of people seem to hate them.

My main point is that I found it funny how dramatic people acted over the fact that the season premire wasn't too good. All seasons have some hits and some terrible episodes. "Major Boobage" is one of my all-time favorites, and "The China Probrem" is one of my all-time least favorites.
mxr5150

Postby mxr5150 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:34 am

I loved the episode mostly because it makes me happy to see that I'm not the only one who is overwhelmingly upset with Indy IV. Those were my favorite movies growing up and to see what Lucas and Spielberg did just makes me terribly sad.

Also, as far as the whole anti-jew thing. Yom Kippur was on Thursday, the new episode debuted on Wednesday. The anti-defamation league needs to understand this. Sorry, if someone has pointed this out already.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:03 am

Yes, but if memory serves, Thursday for Jews begins on sunset Wednesday, and South Park aired almost four hours later, so the anti-defamation league is justified in its complaint, at least in this regard. They follow a different day division than we do.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JFord

Postby JFord » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:03 am

loveable rascal wrote:
Big-Will wrote:

And Spielberg is Jewish.

silly, silly religious beliefs.

I'm sadden by your lack of tolerance.

I'm jewish and I think that this whole thing is stupid, who cares when it was aired? It's not anti-semetic, I wasn't offended. I don't know what those people from the league of anti-defemation are doing. They're making the jewish people come out as whiners that accuse everyone of being anti-semetic. I understand their need to defend jews but this is silly.

Other than that I didn't like this episode one bit, it just wasn't amusing for me.
r41n

Postby r41n » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:23 pm

...And I had such expectations for this episode >.<

IMO, this episode sucked. I know I'm gonna get flamed for it, but the whole Spielberg and Lucas rape Indiana Jones thing was NOT funny. It was stupid. And the plot with the Chinese trying to take America [which I assume was supposed to be the main plot?] was static and so boring that it made me cry.

The only good thing about this episode was Butters shooting people in the dick. That's it.
loveable rascal

Postby loveable rascal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:59 pm

JFord wrote:I'm sadden by your lack of tolerance.

I'm jewish and I think that this whole thing is stupid, who cares when it was aired? It's not anti-semetic, I wasn't offended. I don't know what those people from the league of anti-defemation are doing. They're making the jewish people come out as whiners that accuse everyone of being anti-semetic. I understand their need to defend jews but this is silly.

Other than that I didn't like this episode one bit, it just wasn't amusing for me.

you might not have been offended, but many other jews were.
Last edited by loveable rascal on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:04 pm

r41n wrote:...And I had such expectations for this episode >.<

IMO, this episode sucked. I know I'm gonna get flamed for it, but the whole Spielberg and Lucas rape Indiana Jones thing was NOT funny. It was stupid. And the plot with the Chinese trying to take America [which I assume was supposed to be the main plot?] was static and so boring that it made me cry.

The only good thing about this episode was Butters shooting people in the dick. That's it.

You won't get flamed.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:54 pm

many other jews were

Can you name some of these nurotic freaks who are offended by Jewish people being on TV, or do they only exist in your head? Even if this episode was being offensive to jews, it's not the first offensive thing they've ever said, this is South Park, and if the Jews could laugh at Bloody Mary they bloody better take this with a smile unless they want to join Issac Haays in Hypocrit camp. Not that these people actually exist, like most offended minority groups it's the tollerence crazed hippies who think they know what it is to be a jew BETTER than Jewish people themselves do who get offended.

Of all the things to find offensive in this episode.... why do they need to go invent something?
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
loveable rascal

Postby loveable rascal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:40 pm

superiorsavior wrote:
many other jews were

Can you name some of these nurotic freaks who are offended by Jewish people being on TV, or do they only exist in your head? Even if this episode was being offensive to jews, it's not the first offensive thing they've ever said, this is South Park, and if the Jews could laugh at Bloody Mary they bloody better take this with a smile unless they want to join Issac Haays in Hypocrit camp. Not that these people actually exist, like most offended minority groups it's the tollerence crazed hippies who think they know what it is to be a jew BETTER than Jewish people themselves do who get offended.

Of all the things to find offensive in this episode.... why do they need to go invent something?

whatever.

[Banned for a week. Is that the best you can come up with? "whatever."? Stop posting until you have more substantial to say.]
Kennyfan84

Postby Kennyfan84 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:32 pm

After watching the episode, I have to say it wan't terrible but it wasn't good either. The Indy rape stuff wasn't really that funny, but at least we saw Stan, Kyle, Kenny, Jimmy, & Clyde. The Cartman/Butters stuff was garbage (as usual), the shooting dicks wasn't really funny and the whole story went nowhere.

This episode is what's wrong with South Park & that the episodes are inspired by current events which while funny now, don't age well.
TruthInTheCity

Postby TruthInTheCity » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi I watched this ep yesterday and all I have to say is the Indy rape scenes were probably taken from some movie and one that comes to mind is the hentai "Starballz". The ending scene had George Lucas getting a BJ from Jar Jar Binks (I think) and the audio was from the marshall mathers LP the skit with ken kaniff. The creators got sued by Lucas and still fighting the legal battle (I guess... I bet SP won't get sued by him since they're already on tv). So I think the creators got their idea from Starballz except they included Spellburg engaging in the rape with Lucas.
Personally I found the anti-china thing a little weak it wasn't what I expected but the rape thing was.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”