*1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

chuey209

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby chuey209 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:15 am

:( i agree, this episode was a disappointment, I think cartman couldve done a better job like convince congress to go to war with china or something and the raping part was lame. When i watched this episode, i was like, "wat the f*ck, i cant believe this is south park."

I dunno kno who thought of this episode, but it was totally f*ckin stupid. Not funny at all. i think they are just out of ideas.
thedonna

Postby thedonna » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:23 am

I hated it... most definitely the worst episode ive ever seen!!!! except for the restaurant part but the whole raping thing got old way fast...
<3 The Donna <3
asqwanka

Postby asqwanka » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:28 am

I liked the new episode.

The rape scenes were absolutely brutal, hillarious. And so true, Indiana got raped... hard. Great job on visualizing how we all felt after seeing that piece of sh*t.

The China problem was a hillarious idea, but they could have done more with the execution, besides the ballshooting that was really funny.

All in all, 8/10. Not their best work, but definitely a good episode and a good start for the second half of the season.
Pissout

Postby Pissout » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:28 am

The episode was ok. The only real humor here was the raping and getting shot in the balls.

But yeah, I feel it's a little hypocritical of South Park to make the point that those two directors raped their creations.

I mean, look at the old South Parks episodes. I feel that those were better because the kids were more ignorant of how the world works, Cartman's voice and attitude was much funnier, the story-lines were more unique, and the art style was much more simplistic. With South park changed and other animated shows on Comedy Central canceled (Drawn Together) I feel like comedy has been just going downhill. Drawn Together gave me laughs every minute with the random dialog and whacked out script. That was what South Park used to be.

Anyway, if Matt and Trey can screw around with their creation, then there's no reason for them to bitch about aliens in that movie. If you actually did research on the title of the movie beforehand, you would discover that aliens are supposedly connected to the crystal skulls.
Quintuplets_Father

Postby Quintuplets_Father » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:00 am

OMG!!! They raped Cartman!??!?!?

the story line (with the few jokes and few messages) seemed to come from FanFic section...

but i dont' lose the hope.
and btw: i broke the dam...
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:06 am

Wow lots of negitive reviews on this episode i thought it was good not brilliant but not as bad as some people make it out to be, the rape scences got old once was enough and the butters/cartman story was ok not as amusing as super fun time when they were paired but ok again got old with the repeated joke of males being shot in the love lolly i would give this a 7 maybe 8 out of 10.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:21 am

LawrenceTaylor wrote:Hi. Maybe you've seen my other nothing but enthusiastic posts on this forum with its f*cking ads all over the place.

I'm a serious fan, I had faith in you guys, I liked episodes in the first run, I stood by the lowest of the lows unlike everyone else since I became a serious fan, but that episode sucked dick.

I didn't find a scrap of anything redeeming, it had morals as weak as Family Guy does. Maybe you guys are just too busy f*cking around to actually do something for civilization anymore. You raped South Park Matt and Trey.
And I saw you at South Park Live, and you were my f*cking heroes. Now I don't know what to think at all. About anything.

Its one of the only things I really had to look forward to, I'm so f*cking confused about the world, and South Park made sense to me, and you raped it. I'm NOT kidding.
It was a creative episode, like always, but in total excess. It was worth absolutely nothing. Nothing. It reminded me of my own creativity just before I had a long case of exhaustion.

I'm gonna say it, and I never thought I would, f*ck you guys. You can go and explode your show and make it nothing but a disaster like you always wanted to, like Monty Python, but nobody will be laughing. Nobody will learn a f*cking thing. I hope you're just going Andy Kaufman on us and you can turn around.
And I hope I grow for leaving you guys behind.

I agree with you about Indiana Jones, but if you're going to make that point, make a well rounded episode so you don't rape your own show too. I'm sure you're well aware of that.

You were my living heroes.

f*ck you guys. I'm gone. I'm out.

Oh come on now..If Trey and Matt are really your heroes, then why stop watching South Park over one episode? There were a few episodes from various season I didn't like, but did I stop watching? No, because I liked South Park and their movies too much to give up on them. Same goes for everyone else in entertainment whose work I really like, although the day I ran across something Rob Zombie, Quentin Tarantino, or Tim Burton have made that I hated has never happened yet.However, there have been certain Stephen King books I haven't been all that into but King is still one of my favorite authors. I don't think anyone who creates as much as Matt and Trey or anyone else I mentioned can possibly please all their fans all the time or avoid changes in their works over time. If you like someone's work why give up on them entirely over one episode? That is just weak. You can't please everyone all the time, that is a fact of life.

If you are going to hate on anyone hate on George Lucas. I didn't see the new Indiana Jones, but I hated the Star Wars prequels because I have been a fan of the original triology my whole life and the prequels were so crappy in comparison.Just a complete insult to the original fans.. And before for that, the f*cking assh*le decided to digitally add Jabba the Hutt to the original Star Wars. I also liked the original Indiana Jones films when I was growing up, but I didn't see the new one because I didn't think it looked that good in previews and I thought it would probably be the same kind of disappointment that the Star Wars prequels were.Thank you Matt and Trey for reminding me of my hatred of George Lucas. I haven't thought about him in 3 years, but kinda I wanna go kick his ass right now..LOL.

I thought the episode was pretty good. A little shocking, but good.

And Lawrence, I don't think anyone likes the adds on this board. I don't.I have been here for years, and I have bitched about it many, many times.I am sure it isn't Trey and Matt's choice that they are here, and it certainly isn't the fan's choice. Some of the ads they used to have here were not only annoying but had the tendency to get in the way of the board.

And why should everything have to have "redeeming morals"? So you don't have to feel guilty about enjoying all the f*cked up sh*t in the episode? And what do you even mean by "redeeming morals"? I don't know, just something about what you said made me want to tell you off. No offense but this is the first time I have ever noticed you on the board and I think you sound like a whiny little bitch. You know what they say about first impressions.
SukMyJagoff

Postby SukMyJagoff » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:23 am

That was the worst episode of South Park ever. I've seen every episode, but that one was just two jokes repeated over and over, one of which was already used before when the new star wars came out. I'm sorry but South Park is better than that. Their audience is better than America's Funniest Home Video's football in the crotch gags. They even rip on that kind of humor in earlier episodes, I don't know what happened here.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:45 am

chuey209 wrote::( i agree, this episode was a disappointment, I think cartman couldve done a better job like convince congress to go to war with china or something

And to me, that would have been so predictable and lame it would have ruined that plotline. Same thing if they had searched the Chinese family and found plans to invade America, or if China really did invade. I was sure all of those things would happen because this is South Park, was happy to see they went in a different, and IMHO funnier, route.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Duan Tian Ru

I wish I was there when you guys discussed this script.

Postby Duan Tian Ru » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:56 am

Season 12 has been amazing, actually, one of my very favorites so far. That having been said, as Big-Will so eloquently put, not all episodes will be gems, and every season will have a stinker or two.

Maybe I've been too influenced by the whole "South Park in 6-days behind the scenes video", but this episode truly feels to me like it was jumbled up together in a hasty fashion:

1. I was expecting that the Cartman/Butters subplot was eventually going to tie in with the IJ rape scheme. I felt like I was reading Waverly all over again *shudders*; it's just a "no-no" to have a sub-plot that has no point to it, or has no mention of it in the main plot. (It frustrates viewers, and it makes the work too long and obscure which in turn hurts the author's image of credibility.) Instead we have two completely separate narratives. Maybe Trey and the editors were trying to go for something new (2 stories at once), but it really didn't work out because both were underdeveloped.---- I'm not sure if it's because of my expectation as a long time SP viewer (that all subplots somehow contribute to the main narrative), or me being jaded as a film/lit ma, but I know Trey is all about good story structure and I'm really confused about the quality of this episode- guys, it was all over the place. Who edited this?

2. As stated before, Cartman and Butters going to the restaurant contributed nil to the development of the plot- all that happened was Cartman learned a lesson. BUT, we have established an even further characterization of Cartman that he does have a boundary of "evilness", which in my opinion may not be such a good thing after all....Even though Cartman once chopped up Scott Tenorman's parents and then fed Scott the remains, Cartman DOES draw a line that he refuses to cross, i.e. shooting @ people's dicks. And I know that right there is the point, that shooting people in the dick is SO bad that not even Cartman will tolerate it, but something still isn't meshing right as far as character consistency goes. The whole Scott Tenorman thing was a real deal breaker as far as Cartman's function-- it shows he really goes above and beyond to be selfish and evil, etc. and I really would have thought he should enjoy shooting people in the dick, and BUTTERS to draw the line with "No that's wrong, don't shoot people there." So.... right... had we gone in this path instead, it could have been an opportunity for Butters to really stand up for himself. It doesn't seem too out of line since in "Super Fun Time", we see Butters grow some balls. This episode could have stated, "Hey, he's actually using his balls and standing up to Eric!" and then you could go in a thousand different directions with Butters as an overly moral but confident character, something that Stan and Kyle don't have.

By the way, what the hell was Cartman doing with a real gun?

3. As mentioned by several other people, the whole Cartman and Butters thing is now stale. You need to come up with another relationship that has a different function very soon. Why not bring in another "Chef"?: a semi-rational adult who guides the children? Maybe put some more energy to Mr. Mackey? I have a million different ideas but the whole Eric & Butters "team" has been used too much.

p.s.: To "Ihatecelebrities"- I know what you're talking about this "new breed of SP fans" who can only find negative things to say about new episodes. Someone once said that Imaginationland sucked and I told the girl she had gone mental. And, unlike a lot of people, I thought "Not without my anus", "Million little fibers", and the Britney episode were hilarious. (The idea that Oprah's vagina shot itself is hysterical, pun intended.) I'm separating myself from them and will simply state that SP is my favorite show, and it puts things into perspective, chills me out, and makes me laugh. But, since it's been my favorite now for 11 years, I simply can't sit still when I've seen a script go awry.
I still remember his oft repeated pronouncement that a man needed a Japanese wife, Chinese food and Scotch whiskey to have a perfect life.

-Martha Nemes Fried
s1nt4x

Postby s1nt4x » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:15 am

The voices where all off , the plot of the episode is super stupid, and the action is not what you wold expect of south park.
Conclusion : in my personal opinion the only thing that got raped here is the 12 seasons of pure magic that this cartoon use to offer :shock:
ShaneHaughey

Re: I wish I was there when you guys discussed this script.

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:21 am

Duan Tian Ru wrote:p.s.: To "Ihatecelebrities"- I know what you're talking about this "new breed of SP fans" who can only find negative things to say about new episodes. Someone once said that Imaginationland sucked and I told the girl she had gone mental. And, unlike a lot of people, I thought "Not without my anus", "Million little fibers", and the Britney episode were hilarious. (The idea that Oprah's vagina shot itself is hysterical, pun intended.) I'm separating myself from them and will simply state that SP is my favorite show, and it puts things into perspective, chills me out, and makes me laugh. But, since it's been my favorite now for 11 years, I simply can't sit still when I've seen a script go awry.

I disagreed with some of your review since i liked this episode, but it was well constructed so I'll leave that be. :wink: Instead, I shall respond to this:
1- The amount of old time fans and new fans who dislike new episodes is about the same, so the "New Wave" theory is not true in the slightest. I was here in 2004 and discussions like this happened then, they'll happen in the future, chances are that ever since the second episode aired people have been having these discussions. So it isn't that these people are new or have a worse sense of humor: It is that humor is subjective and some things will hit well with others and fail with others.
Example:

I like how the Cartman/Butters plot was structured. It almost seemed like it would become like other SP eps where the government gets involved and conspiracies are discovered, but instead it showed Cartman being wrong and his entire crusade being unjustified. Which, lately, is a rare thing. It was also good to have two stories, neither of which I think could have carried an episode yet both of which seemed like classic structures:
1- The crazy Cartman conspiracy/government plot.
Catch: He was wrong completely and it didn't turn into anything epic.
2- The emotional Stan/Kyle/Others plot.
Catch: It was about a movie.

Stretched out or connected, both would have failed. But then again, I'm a Monty Python fan so I don't always need taut, gripping stories as long as the jokes are good.

Now, with this mindset, do I say you aren't a "true" fan? Hell no! It just didn't do for you what it did for me.

2- The majority of people who don't like episodes consider SP to be their favorite show. That is why they speak their mind; of they didn't care, they wouldn't be saying it.
I, for example, hated #1005 and #1202. I didn't find anything about them funny. Because I said that, I got people saying I'm not a "true" or "devoted" fan. Well, I've been watching South Park for over half my life, have lost a job because of it, and have probably discussed it more in real life than most of this board put together. The difference between me and some other people here is that I'm not a lapdog- Trey and Matt don't want/need lapdogs. Just from the commentaries you can tell that they can get the general feedback. They have said that it sometimes takes a not so good episode to make you wake up and realize you just can't half-ass it. Now, lord knows I don't think they half-ass at all and certainly I don't think they did this week, but what that means is that positive/negative feedback does get back to them in general terms. That means that if we consider ourselves to be good fans, we should be honest about how we feel: Matt Stone, Trey Parker, and many others love #1109. I and many others did not. Does this mean we can't, in IHC's terms, find the humor in that episode? No, we can. Or at least I could. I found it and didn't like it.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Ericforpresident

Postby Ericforpresident » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:24 am

I can only say, Lets hope next episode will be better. I'll have to vote it as the worst episode of South Park ever. Trully dissapointed. Waited all this time.. for this?! I'm Confused. Mat and Trey, I know you can do better. I mean, It was the only episode of SP that I got bored. Bored! Maybe they are prepairing a big hit with the next one... We'll see.
kiju

Postby kiju » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:28 am

Let me preface this by saying I haven't seen the new Indiana film or any of the movies the rape scenes are ripped from. Maybe if I had, I would have enjoyed it more.

I'll start with what I liked:

*cartman's dream sequence
*the meta at the bus stop scene
*the revelation that the rape victim was Indiana Jones
*butter's and cartman's chinese disguise[/list]
*stan's flashback
*the fact that there were no actual chinese plots discovered. it's nice to see cartman wrong about these things sometimes.

And now what I didn't:

*the graphic rape scenes. sorry, I know it's south park and they rely on gross-out humor, but it just wasn't funny to me.
*the multiple shooting of dicks, and taking it nowhere. once would've been alright, several would have been funny if it led to a punchline but it didn't.
*cartman's delivery of 'I learned something today' didn't ring true. he's always been the first character to trade dignity for power.
*the point this ep was trying to make about spielberg/lucas films, was made in the first 5 minutes, and they took it no further than that
*everything that happened was repeated 3 or 4 times. this whole episode could fit into 7 minutes.
*I don't think Butters would shoot anyone, and definitely not more than once.

TakeYaOrdahPwease wrote:
I was kinda hoping that Butters would shoot Spielberg and Lucas in the dick in the end to tie the two plots together and so that they can never rape anymore classic 80s movie characters.

I think you might be onto something there. To me, this episode was totally lacking in coherence. The two plots really should have had something to do with each other to make it feel complete. It relied only on cultural references without any interesting twist on them.

Aside from the plot issues, or maybe because of them, most of the jokes fell rather flat. The dick shots reminded me of americas funniest video, and we all know how funny that show was. And frankly the rape scenes made me cringe, and while I expect that from sp I don't expect it to be cringe-inducing for the majority of the episode. Rape just isn't funny (unless it's woodland critters, of course :wink: ).

So overall a disappointing episode, probably one of my least favorites. Having said that, I have every confidence that next week's will be better. I don't feel like the show overall is going down the drain. Judging from this thread, this episode was very hit-or-miss, and I guess it was just a miss for me.
Meri-chan

Postby Meri-chan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:33 am

There were a few problems with this episode, but overall not bad. Cartman & Butters make such adorable faux-Chinese boiz!!

I don't think some people got the "references" with the rape scenes... the pinball machine scene is from the movie The Accused and the hillbillies squeal like a piggy scene is from the movie Deliverance. So... props for those.

And I guess I'm with Butters... I thought Kingdom of The Crystal Skull was pretty damn enjoyable :o
Last edited by Meri-chan on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I am Hennifer Lopaaays, I like tacos and burritos! Oh Ben you brought me r-r-r-r-roses!!!! XO

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”