*1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

superiorsavior

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:19 pm

woundn't SP be great without criticism?!?!

As if our criticism has any impact on what SP episodes are made?
overblown seriousness

South Park has been doing the take a minor issue way too seriously thing far too often lately; sometimes it succeeds (this episode, the homeless epiosde) but it's not as good as the almost polar opposite strategy common in the early seasons of taking a totally extreme issue (streisand invasion, talking towles) as if it were completely normal.

Is it just me who got a bit bored of the indy rape and ball-shoot jokes by the third repete in the episode?

South park has really lost it's charm with the more realistic graphics

While the graphics are nescicary for some ideas and free up the show to expand in some directions otherwise inacessable, I think it's tempted the show to turn into a Michael Bay movie; they use a lot of special effects for graphic humour that's now pretty much indistinguishable from Scary Movie and it's ilk, when in bad-graphics cartoon form it was a lot funnier. It's just one way the show's lost some of it's charm :(

I think I've been so desensitised to sex and violence scenes by south park over the years that they can't ever seem extremez enough anymore to be funny. Cartman's racism directed in a new direction got me loling a few times though.

At least this episode didn't involve offensive political propaganda.

I like it when Matt and Trey get on their soapbox and spill a really rather different view from everyone else, it's refreshing and honest. I can honestly say I've never been offended by this show; when it says something I disagree with, I laugh at it, when it says something I agree with, I laugh with it. The force with which it thrusts it's views at you, when it does so, makes it impossible not to take things as a joke, well for me anyway. I wish it hadn't been just another pop-culture parody that'll be forgotten as easilly as crystal skull :(

Why did the boys get so pissed about a film most 8 yearolds have never seen. My niece is 9 and my nephew is 7 and neither them nor their friends seem to have seen ONE Indy film, so taking them as an example I'd say it's rare for kids the south park kid's age to actually care about Indy.

Aym Dand wrote:"Man, those are some racist n*ggers!"
I think it's an attempt at Irony, it sort of works... so I'm going to use it myself :p

WHY did matt and trey rape free hats with hald of this episode?

Anyway, it was still a pretty funny episode (7.5/10 kind of thing, perhaps 7 if I have to see those repetitive rape scenes again).
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
LAME1

Postby LAME1 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:28 pm

Please, no more! :(
I looked through all the seasons and tried to remember what happened in each episode, and there was only one conclusion to come to: this is definitely the worst South Park Episode EVER!

No, there won't be any constructive criticism, if you don't try I won't either. Never ever disappoint me like that!
Wishful_Thinking

Postby Wishful_Thinking » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:12 pm

I can understand criticisms of this episode, as it certainly seems they needlessly re-crossed some well-trod territory, but I would like to point out how everyone here who wrote that Matt and Trey have raped South Park this episode are practicing bad form. You can't use a joke from an episode you hate to explain how much you hate the episode. To me, that's like some guy saying, "Man, those are some racist n*ggers!"

I think they are using it to show Matt and Trey's hypocrisy. The two say that Spielberg and Lucas raped Indiana Jones by making this horrible sequel, and yet, Matt and Trey are raping South Park by doing horrible, terrible, unfunny, 3-d things to it.

South Park has been doing the take a minor issue way too seriously thing far too often lately; sometimes it succeeds (this episode, the homeless epiosde) but it's not as good as the almost polar opposite strategy common in the early seasons of taking a totally extreme issue (streisand invasion, talking towles) as if it were completely normal.

I couldn't have said it better myself. PLEASE, Matt and Trey, PLEASE stop taking a minor issue and exaggerating it for over 20 minutes. It gets old fast. Can you go back to having a simple premise and work on trying to make it funny and not into a intricate plot?
Quintuplets_Father

Postby Quintuplets_Father » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:17 pm

superiorsavior wrote:Why did the boys get so pissed about a film most 8 yearolds have never seen. My niece is 9 and my nephew is 7 and neither them nor their friends seem to have seen ONE Indy film, so taking them as an example I'd say it's rare for kids the south park kid's age to actually care about Indy.

u miss one detail here: starting with the first episode from first season the kids are not really "kids" at all:

0101 - Cartan Gets An Anal Probe:
Kyle: Maybe u can kiss her.
Cartman: Or slip her the tongue..
Kenny: ###### #####
Stan: What, how do u know she has a cat?
- pause -
All : ha ha ha ha!

do they sound like 8 years old kids?

In episode 0804 - "Passion Of The Jew" they also get to see a movie not for their age range.

In episode 0902 - "Die Hippie, Die", Cartman role obviosly not a 8 years old match.

So their attachment of Indiana Jones is not surprising. These characters are not kids put in various more or less surprising situations, they are "bricks"/tools for building each episode's subject, metaphors, jokes...
and btw: i broke the dam...
DevilAngel16

Postby DevilAngel16 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:55 pm

Quintuplets_Father wrote:These characters are not kids put in various more or less surprising situations, they are "bricks"/tools for building each episode's subject, metaphors, jokes...

Yeah, you are absolutely right. Matt and Trey, especially in the recent episodes, basically use the characters to get across whatever point they are trying to make, rather than making situations based on the character's personalities themselves (I hope that makes sense ><).

Anyway, I know this is late, but I actually thought this episode was f*cking hilarious. I honestly could not stop laughing during those dick shooting scenes. Cartman's reaction each time was just priceless. And that scene with Butters in the bath tub and Cartman holding his hand...holy sh*t, I loved that scene. XD

But I never saw the new Indiana Jones movie (or the original one, for that matter), so that subplot left me completely confused at first. Those rape scenes were kinda graphic, too.

I thought this episode was pretty good, despite the fact that both subplots literally had nothing to do with one another whatsoever, which was pretty ridiculous.

(On a sidenote, the animation in the opening scene looked amazing.)
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:02 pm

My 9 year old niece jokes about sex all the time, and a lot of slash is written by 13 year olds (older but not too much older) so I don't think you can say they arn't kids, but they're dirtier than most kids their age certainly. If they were just "These characters are not kids put in various more or less surprising situations, they are "bricks"/tools for building each episode's subject, metaphors, jokes" then I don't see how the charactar driven humour of the old seasons would have worked. They might not be the most 3 dimentional charactars in fiction but they're fairly well developed for comedy charactars, though they seem to have stagnated of late.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:03 pm

BRMBug wrote:By the way, did anyone else see a single frame glitch on the episode's first airing during Stan's version of Indy's violation? It's not showing up online and of course, I didn't record it.

I didn't see any glitch there, but I found this one in Mitch's (Deliverance) version.
...and this is a blooper, not a glitch, as indeed it was fixed for the online version. :D
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Quintuplets_Father

Postby Quintuplets_Father » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:16 pm

superiorsavior wrote:My 9 year old niece jokes about sex all the time.

Honestly, i feel sorry about that.. i have a little sister, much younger, she's 9 years old, i'd be shocked to find out that her class mates would realy have any idea about stuff like that, and in case they did also to make jokes about it on regular basis.. i know some of her colleagues.. i think i don't have what to worry about... .. . :? :roll: :|
and btw: i broke the dam...
Kensuke

Postby Kensuke » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:20 pm

When I was about 9 or 10 I was telling sexual jokes to my friends.
"If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss" ~ Eminem

AxayPaulene wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:But he (RideTheLightning)wanted Kensuke's hot man chowder.
Don't we all?
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:32 pm

I was really repressed and I was making jokes by the time I was 10; not up to my niece's "the headmaster is an asscunt because he uses guy's asses like most men use cunts" comments, but I went to a church school and she's in the ghetto :p
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

xIkilledKennyx

Postby xIkilledKennyx » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Didn't George Lucas and Steven Speilberg get killed in "Free Hat"? Nice Episode! :)
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:46 pm

The whole rape thing was just LAME! Not really terrible (unless you are upset by the graphic nature of the rape scenes) but just lame because Matt and Trey (or maybe just Trey) are upset about that crappy movie.

BUT…

Spielberg and Lucas PAID GOOD MONEY to Ford (Indy) for the privilege. Ford read the script and said “Yeah, please put me in a crappy movie…Please Publicly Rape Me!” So Indy was the prostitute who knows what he will get.

Yep Indy was part of it! In fact, it really wasn’t rape but a F*#king Orgy with Indy HAPPILY going along for the ride. That is why it falls flat as any kind of joke.

Also, if M&T want to rape SP they can. They created it and they can f#%k it in the ass if they want. I personally don’t think M&T are raping SP but if you want to have that opinion fine with me.

I did find the other bit about the Chinese and the dick-shooting funny and my whole take on the episode is that it was mostly Lame (too much about Crystal Skulls). Sometimes they will have a miss. I hope next show will be a BIG HIT!
Jake, M'kay?

Postby Jake, M'kay? » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:39 pm

I thought it was ok.
The plot was kinda thin and the rape scenes were on the unconfortable side (but funny!)
All in all i'd give it a 6.5/10
"If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, my illegal logging business succeeds ."

"I have only two modes, at war with something, or having sex with it. There is no middle ground"
KAMfan

Postby KAMfan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:46 am

I agree with a lot of what SS said. Overall it was okay, but the rape scenes and dick shooting scenes got a little repetitive. I did think Butters was funny in the flashback....
my manga art, よかったら見て下さい:http://kamethyst.deviantart.com/

困ったときは笑っとけ笑っとけ
AprilThomas

Postby AprilThomas » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:55 am

maxman1812 wrote:Yes Season 12 is virtually complete sh*t. This last episode was the same two jokes for 20-some odd minutes and yes, they need to STAY AWAY from 3-D animation. In my opinion the earlier seasons were better because of the simplistic animation and the kids actually acted innocent, like kids. They act more like late teens/early 20s now. But, that's not to say that I hate South Park. I find it completely hilarious that people say that those of us who post criticism aren't "devoted" fans. I've seen the original airing of every episode (except 3) for the past 9 years now and own every season and I'll probably end up buying this season despite not enjoying it as much (better than Family Guy still...). There's a difference between devoted and blind and if you can say that "The China Problem" can hold a candle to "Scott Tenorman Must Die", "I'm a Little Bit Country", "Cat Orgy", "Canceled", "My Future Self and Me", or even just recently: "The List", you ARE just blind. Point being, what makes us devoted is the fact that we hate this new episode because we know that South Park is capable of so much more. Those who say every single episode of South Park that is made is flawlessly hilarious are just posers who really are just going along with whatever crap is pumped out because they can say "Hey look I'm 12 and I'm watching adult programming". Hopefully the episodes will get better, otherwise I can't wait til the end of the 15th season so I can finally stop watching my favorite show kill itself. PLEASE PLEASE STOP SELLING OUT AND TRYING TO GO FOR SHOCK VALUE!!!!

Agree 100% with everything but list of other great episodes.

Agree 33.33% with your list of other great episodes.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”