*1209: Breast Cancer Show Ever* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

ned15

Re: *1209: Breast Cancer Show Ever* Post-Air Discussion

Postby ned15 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:39 pm

maybe they used breast cancer because, oh, i don't know....it's breast cancer awareness month?!?!?!
"you musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."
eames
Marikunin

Postby Marikunin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Okay, when I first saw the ad for this episode, I admit that I was scared. Due to the fact that I have several friends and relatives that suffer or have suffered from breast cancer, I tend to be very cautious when someone approaches it in a comedic manner. However, I was very pleasantly surprised when I watched the episode in it's entirety this morning online.
It treated the subject with respect, and even displayed a pink ribbon. I was very happy.

And I saw Principal Victoria, Wendy, and Cartman in a whole new light............and same with Butters when he was cheering Wendy on. :lol:
The_Parkateer

Postby The_Parkateer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:47 pm

I enjoyed the episode until the final act; I agree with Nader, the Cartman I love is dead. 11 years of pure win egoism over in 2 short minutes. :(

Now that he's humbled it just makes me wonder what they'll do next week with the Cartman character. I don't want a South Park based around Wendy, stupid hippie.
hamboy

Postby hamboy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:51 pm

Cartman crapping was f*cking funny.
supra97449

Postby supra97449 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:52 pm

eric cartman has pissed me off plenty of times but i was totally on his side on this episode. he makes some innocent jokes and we're supposed to hate him and want some throw-away character to beat him up. sp might have officially jumped the shark.
The_Parkateer

Postby The_Parkateer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:05 pm

I hope Cartman gets his revenge. Wendy is a douche most of the time.
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Great episode.

THIS is the episode I wanted to see - funny, 'back to basic' and GOOD movie references. But this was generally a good story-telling with a very good ending - even though Cartman got destroyed, he somehow manages to justify that he's still the 'cool kid' in his head.

I've read all the arguements about why Cartman shouldn't have been destroyed and say this - it's been a long time coming. Having wormed his way out of all sorts of situations for nearly 11 seasons straight, it was shocking to see Eric Cartman finally meet his match against Wendy. It was predictable for him to win - not for him to lose. Building up the entire episode for him to suddenly beat her up? The message was this: Cartman bullies, gets his ass kicked and doesn't change a bit. That's how it's always been for Eric Cartman - and that's how it went in this one. The fact he got beat up isn't even a factor - it's how he handled it. What should have been the definitive moment of him changing character and being humiliated wasn't - which is why I loved the ending so much because it was somewhat sad, him lifting himself off the ground and all the guys standing around, watching him finally realize he's had his comeuppance. Even when people told him that they had a low opinion of him in the first place, he thought they were trying to cheer him up and that he was 'cool' afterall. It was brilliant - fits right in with his character and how he never, ever learns.

Trust me - the next episode, Cartman will be back to normal doing what he does. Anything can happen to him and he's still awesome. Nobody really cares - it's an animation. Also, did you notice he pretty much got back up after Wendy walked away? He's tough - he took a beating. From a girl but... y'know, Wendy is allllll powerful. :D

Good storytelling, funny moments and no 'in-your-face' messages or anything. This is what South Park should be - and MUCH better than the first episode since the break. More of these, please. 8/10. :D
Last edited by CartmanMills on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:19 pm

Damien airs. MATT AND TREY HAVE LOST THEIR TOUCH, SOUTH PARK HAS JUMPED THE SHARK!

Terrance and Phillip in Not Without My Anus airs. MATT AND TREY HAVE LOST THEIR TOUCH, SOUTH PARK HAS JUMPED THE SHARK!

Pip airs. MATT AND TREY HAVE LOST THEIR TOUCH, SOUTH PARK HAS JUMPED THE SHARK!

Scott Tenorman Must Die airs. MATT AND TREY HAVE LOST THEIR TOUCH, SOUTH PARK HAS JUMPED THE SHARK!

Kenny Dies airs. MATT AND TREY HAVE LOST THEIR TOUCH, SOUTH PARK HAS JUMPED THE SHARK!

Lather, rinse, repeat with other episodes from the last several seasons. What's funny is that most of those episodes are highly beloved now (Pip being the exception). So what's my point? Don't assume that South Park is completely done and will never be good again just because of one or two episodes you didn't like. Yes, the show is different from the way it was in Season 8 just like Season 8 was different from Season 4, which was different from Season 1. The show's always changed. Also, I liked this episode, but that's a matter of personal preference. There's one episode and then there's the entire series. One episode isn't going to kill the series or make it "jump the shark." When it starts being consistently sh*tty for two or three seasons, then you can say that it's jumped the shark.
Last edited by KennyStanWendyFan on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlRich

Postby AlRich » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:20 pm

I agree with CartmanMill for sure. The episode wasn't trying to diminish the Cartman character... If anything it was trying to make the Wendy character more complex and sophisticated and such...

I loved the "There Will Be Blood" reference at the end.
SPG20

Postby SPG20 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:33 pm

No cartman, no southpark. he's the reason the show is so good, can you imagine it without him? He's the relief to everyones seriousness. Like you dont watch the show for a good moral "Justice was served" lesson. What made him so pimp was the stuff he said and did, like if you mess with him, he'll make you eat your parents, even though he got his ass kicked for doing alot of, he still came out all awesome. But it's like he's all broken now.
JC C 4 Cartman

Postby JC C 4 Cartman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:41 pm

LOL Eric is FUNNY. :cartmancry:
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:45 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:I said in the pre-air thread that I didn't want to see Wendy beating the crap out of Cartman because it was too predictable. However, Cartman totally deserved it. What really made it worthwhile was the ending when Cartman rationalizes his way out of being humbled, and even seeing himself as the coolest kid in class, against all evidence to the contrary.

After eating his own underwear, crying to his mommy to stop a girl from beating him up, and finally being beaten up in front of the whole class, being told by multiple people that everyone hates him, he still finds a way to learn absolutely nothing from the experience and to gain no insight about himself and the world around him. I found this hysterically funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

very well said, cartman is always going to have his ass kicked in any fight (midget fight being the only exception) cause he's a wuss, a pussy and pathetic, and just like wendy said, he has no self respect

so yeah, it was really obvious that he was going to get his ass kicked, but the sweet thing about it all is that he managed once again to sink even lower and not learn a f*cking thing from all the experience

if thats not old cartman, then i dont know what the hell is

the only thing i didnt really get was butters saying along with the rest that they hated cartman at the end, i never felt that butters hated cartman at all and i always thought he was under the impression that they were friends, so it doesnt make that much sense to me
anyone has any theories about this?
cooncatbob

Postby cooncatbob » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:50 pm

You'd have thought that even an idiot like Cartman would know better then to mess with Wendy.
She gave him plenty of chances to leave her alone but the fat dope kept egging her on till she snapped.
Then he wanted to back out but still maintain his look good.
I laughed so hard during the fight that I almost crapped my pants.
That was a brutal beat down, but she warned him and then she told him exactly what she was going to do to him.
Of course he won't learn a thing except not to cross Wendy again.
Now Stan a person who should be worrying, I don't know if Stan wants a girlfriend who can kick his ass.
Spairert

Postby Spairert » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:04 am

The show is definitely going in a different direction. A wider audience is being pursued by softening the shock value of the show and generalizing the humor to be funnier to younger children and older adults who are easy to entertain (just read the posts- at least half of the people here miraculously found this episode funny.) Any episode of South Park is generally better than 95% of TV, but you need to compare it against itself. Virtually any episode at random topples this one. The show has been on for so long and produced so many good episodes that it needs to change dramatically to remain on the air, just the way it had changed in the last few seasons. However, the new change involves a "dumbing-down" of the series by means of predictable, easily digested plots and gags coupled with faint reminders of a show that knows how to be funny, but is willing to sacrifice humor if it means a longer run.

I say they should do whatever they need to in order to stay in the game, though I do wish they would make their points humorously as they used to, rather than seriously and with bland delivery.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:18 am

jewish pride wrote:the only thing i didnt really get was butters saying along with the rest that they hated cartman at the end, i never felt that butters hated cartman at all and i always thought he was under the impression that they were friends, so it doesnt make that much sense to me
anyone has any theories about this?

Butters just goes along with what's cool. If liking Cartman is cool, he likes Cartman. If hating Cartman is cool, he hates him. I think Butters wants to be accepted and liked, but deep down, he resents Cartman. (See: AWESOM-O.) I've known people like that, actually, who try to win the appeal of people they have every reason to hate.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”