*1210: Pandemic* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

jewish pride

Re: *1210: Pandemic* Post-Air Discussion

Postby jewish pride » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:49 am

well the clip is from this episode, but now we know there will be a second part
strud83

Postby strud83 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:09 am

i love it, im from lima, peru, weeeeeee
the only lines i liked from craig is where cartman faked t.s.
the simpsons and american dad both have done peruvian episodes, whoohooo!
Kobb

Postby Kobb » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:21 am

Is it just me, or have people been posting "this is the absolute worst episode ever" for about 5 seasons now? Really, I don't understand how people can say that for so long and still watch the show. They talk about how the show has "changed" so much, and only provide examples like "KENNY DOESNT DIE ANYMORE", which is almost completely irrelevant to the show's humor =/
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:34 am

^ that is because people are dumb and have a lot of trouble addapting to change

even though i miss kenny dying trey did say that it was becoming a lot of trouble to come up with a different for every episode, like it was becoming tiring, and if thats the case i would rather he focus on more important stuff than "how to kill kenny today"
whatthejew

Postby whatthejew » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:37 am

Plus, if you really read all the posts you'll notice for every person who hated an episode there's someone who loved it. (:
Fanfiction account. | Myspace account. | MyAnimeList account.
Much easier to get to know me at one of those.
Also I love Kyle, no pedo, okay, maybe some.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:20 am

I don't understand how people can say that for so long and still watch the show
Maybe it's you know, different people?

They talk about how the show has "changed" so much, and only provide examples like "KENNY DOESNT DIE ANYMORE"
While I find people who suddenly log on to flame the show because it isn't a formulaic clone of what it used to be ten years ago, the show HAS changed in ways relevant to the comedy and to the quality. Originally, comedy came from the kids reacting to the absurdity of the world around them with nonchelence, and now the oppite is true, the normal world is reacted to with extreme absurdity. It's far less charactar driven for starters, until the last 3 episodes at least, the cast of charactars dramatically shrinking from almost a whole town in season 1 to about 3 adults, 4 kids and armies of cast-aside one-offs in season 12.0, and the development of characar and humour derived from it stopped around season 5. Issues used to be more general in the earlier seasons (the theme of responsability in Death, the theme of big companies in Gnombs) but are, inevitably, more focused on specific issues now, and the issues were tackled with a lot more subtlty; hence, the episodes were more 'timeless' in the past. There used to be many more plot threads in each episode, and while matt and trey try to say having one plot thread is better, two to four provide more verity for the charactars, humour, situations and messages and prevent a single joke becoming stale and lame. Absurdity is used a lot less often (when did you last see talking poo?). There's a lot less music, and the construction paper is gone, loosing the show's charm.

THAT SAID... Why people think one episode can ruin a show is beyond me. This episode was back on Old Skool track :p
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Syll

Postby Syll » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:24 am

[RANT - THIS IS TL;DR, TEXT WALL MATERIAL LIKE THE COMMENT ABOVE ME]

hellohelloHELLO

Let's just think here for a moment.

Peruvian Flute Bands = Terrorists, WMDs, etc.
Homeland Security flatout mimicking the US' handle of current events; leader taking matters into their own hands and controlling the military during press conference to fulfill 'our obligation as a democracy and what our country stands for blahblahblah foreign affairs' (US = now polar opposite of isolationists we should/could be)
Arresting all of them. (arresting suspected terrorists)
Holding them against their will. (explicitly in G.Bay, just like in real life)
Taking out where they came from; "stopped at the source". (whole idea behind the War in the Middle East)
"Isn't that a little extreme?" (American population's general feeling at the moment)

I mean sure, there's the obvious parody of Cloverfield in here, but did you notice what's attacking?
Guinea pigs. (aka, what the American people are seen as during false flag operations such as 9/11)

In the end, the Homeland leader is told about the situation, turns out he knew all along.. (he planned it, duh), he then kills the one who knew too much.. (silencing/hushing of people speaking out against 9/11, maybe?)

Maybe I'm crazy and it's all mere coincidence, or South Park has been taking advantage of their voice as a popular show as a soapbox to start a conversation about current troubling events (obviously - they've even admitted they get preachy and are 'up their own ass' with messages)

I skimmed the first few pages of this thread only to find "funny quote" and "not funny anymore but I still watch", and I just hope I'm not the only one to notice their (what should be) obvious parody on WHAT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW IN REALITY LOL

...and it's funny how they know how to laugh at themselves now and again. (Craig attacking the whole premise and absurdity of the show's plots)

Sorry if actual discussion isn't welcome here, this is my first post.
[/RANT]

Kenny should have died and I wish someone would respect Cartman's 'ah-thor-a-tay' more often.
I'd love 12 seasons of running gags.
:zombiekenny:
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:05 am

Kobb wrote:Is it just me, or have people been posting "this is the absolute worst episode ever" for about 5 seasons now? Really, I don't understand how people can say that for so long and still watch the show. They talk about how the show has "changed" so much, and only provide examples like "KENNY DOESNT DIE ANYMORE", which is almost completely irrelevant to the show's humor =/

Chances are that people have been saying, "worst episode ever" since the second episode premiered.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:27 pm

Question: Toward the end, when Kyle asks why Homeland Security would be sending them to Peru, Kenny responds, but I have no idea what he says.

Did anyone pick up on what Kenny said or was it just intended to be gibberish?
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:37 pm

To Syll, South Park is NOT a crazy truther show. It may have put some messages in that could be interprited as support for a truther position, just to f*ck with the truthers. However, it's most likely just you interpriting things that arn't there into the show. As if Matt and Trey (slackers that they are) would be bothered to add all that hidden meaning. If you think THIS is the kind of message Matt and Trey would get preachy about, then they arn't very consistant with themselves.

However; I do think this was a subtle parrody of the economic situation, and perhaps of the Iraq war.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Syll wrote:[RANT - THIS IS TL;DR, TEXT WALL MATERIAL LIKE THE COMMENT ABOVE ME]

hellohelloHELLO

Let's just think here for a moment.

Peruvian Flute Bands = Terrorists, WMDs, etc.
Homeland Security flatout mimicking the US' handle of current events; leader taking matters into their own hands and controlling the military during press conference to fulfill 'our obligation as a democracy and what our country stands for blahblahblah foreign affairs' (US = now polar opposite of isolationists we should/could be)
Arresting all of them. (arresting suspected terrorists)
Holding them against their will. (explicitly in G.Bay, just like in real life)
Taking out where they came from; "stopped at the source". (whole idea behind the War in the Middle East)
"Isn't that a little extreme?" (American population's general feeling at the moment)

I mean sure, there's the obvious parody of Cloverfield in here, but did you notice what's attacking?
Guinea pigs. (aka, what the American people are seen as during false flag operations such as 9/11)

In the end, the Homeland leader is told about the situation, turns out he knew all along.. (he planned it, duh), he then kills the one who knew too much.. (silencing/hushing of people speaking out against 9/11, maybe?)

Maybe I'm crazy and it's all mere coincidence, or South Park has been taking advantage of their voice as a popular show as a soapbox to start a conversation about current troubling events (obviously - they've even admitted they get preachy and are 'up their own ass' with messages)

I skimmed the first few pages of this thread only to find "funny quote" and "not funny anymore but I still watch", and I just hope I'm not the only one to notice their (what should be) obvious parody on WHAT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW IN REALITY LOL

...and it's funny how they know how to laugh at themselves now and again. (Craig attacking the whole premise and absurdity of the show's plots)

Sorry if actual discussion isn't welcome here, this is my first post.
[/RANT]

Kenny should have died and I wish someone would respect Cartman's 'ah-thor-a-tay' more often.
I'd love 12 seasons of running gags.
:zombiekenny:

Hello and welcome.

Did you watch #1009- Mystery of the Urinal Deuce and listen to the commentary? Matt and Trey believe that 9/11=Pissed off muslim extremists, not a conspiracy.

Also, this may shock you, but South Park is written in about a week. Even their feature length productions are fairly blunt- TA and BLU- so to suppose that there are layers of hidden meaning in something that is written in a week sandwiched between other weeks of working is a large stretch.

This may yet again shock people, but South Park's targets are always quite clearly marked and the show is anything but subtle. Keep in mind the facts of the matter before you espouse future theories.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:01 pm

I think the show sometimes has more subtle messages, but they're never hidden so well you need to dig your way through layers of metaphor to get to teh true target. Though I can't think of any particular episode that was subtle so I can't really evidence this. Just think it used to be more subtle than it is now; this was a 'subtle' comment on the economy I think :p
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:07 pm

superiorsavior wrote:I think the show sometimes has more subtle messages, but they're never hidden so well you need to dig your way through layers of metaphor to get to teh true target. Though I can't think of any particular episode that was subtle so I can't really evidence this. Just think it used to be more subtle than it is now; this was a 'subtle' comment on the economy I think :p

MORE subtle=/=Subtle. Stabbing you in the chest with a Gladius is more subtle than running you over with a flaming car while throwing grenades, but it isn't subtle. There has yet to be an episode where the 'real' message of the episode was hidden under layer upon layer of meaning.

South Park is not that deep. It never was, and that is why it is brilliant; it confronts issues head on.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Anyone notice how much of a negative nancy Stan's mum is becoming?

MORE subtle=/=Subtle.

I think that was the general gist of my post XD
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

usa_titan

Postby usa_titan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:26 am

I am talking of course about Peruvian flute bands.
I am talking of course about Breast Cancer.
I am talking of course about Hippies.
I am talking of course about ManBearPig.

You guys notice this line is used in almost every show?

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”