*1211: Pandemic 2 - The Startling* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

cromlis

Re: *1211: Pandemic 2 - The Startling* Post-Air Discussion

Postby cromlis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:32 pm

r41n wrote:
cromlis wrote:funny episode, the guinea pigs were hilarious. and so was randy.

some people on this site don't seem to like any episodes and i keep seeing "sp is going downhill" and "it should be cancelled." i could understand if someone doesnt like one episode, but if u really feel it's that bad then just go away and dont watch it. the show isn't gonna change just cause you want it to.

Aren't people actually *supposed* to like a show for it to keep going?

Fans have the right to express their opinions. You have the right to not read them if you disagree; telling people to suck it up is just immature.

And to clarify, I would hate to have a board full of fanboys who love every single episode no matter what it's about.

But I think it's pathetic that some people watch south park every week and then come on here and say that it's terrible, should be canceled, that matt and trey have lost their touch, etc.. There are plenty of shows on TV that I don't like and that I wish were off the air, but I don't watch them every week and go on forums and whine about them. The only reason I'd do that would be a) to try to get the show to change and b) to be whiny and annoying. And I don't think Matt and Trey will listen to some whiny online posts.
The Figment

Postby The Figment » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:47 pm

So I decided to join the boards after watching this ep/reading all the replies to this thread. Figured I'd give my two cents on it.

The episodes were awesome...until the guinea pigs showed up. My favorite part in both eps was probably the Indy Rape reference :P. But yeah...I think my major issue with BOTH episodes was the choice of the monster. Of course I know that it partially has to do with the fact I was expecting pandas (Pand-emic...come on, another pun wouldn't of hurt :P). It was funny seeing the guinea pigs at first...but they did get old in the second part (I do admit the costumes were cute though :P). Overall, the episodes were good. Not awesome, but not crappy either. I loved Craig in this episode, and wholeheartedly agree with whatthejew here:

whatthejew wrote:Besides, does anyone else besides me think this was almost a self-parody? With Craig making all the sarcastic comments to the boys, I almost felt like he was, in a way, critiquing the show itself. They got into, arguably, the weirdest situation ever all started by a normal thing (wanting money) that escalated into, well, guinea pirate being beaten by lasers shooting out of Craig's eyes.
I felt like it was them saying 'Yeah, our plots can be crazy and out there, but oh well,' and some people would agree with Craig and say, you know, normal kids just fall off their bikes, so why the hell do the boys always get into these random, crazy, epic adventures?
That's just what I got from it, that they were showcasing those kind of episodes, where the boys get into a huge adventure that effects the whole world and then blatently having Craig point out the flaws in the scenerio.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just my opinion.

"Aww, I didn't have a tape in it."
God I love Randy :P
mitsos

Postby mitsos » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:56 pm

nice job...its always nice to see a new episode of u guys at your pc...
keep up....who knows...you might make it to overpass simpsons!
-EDIT:why am i considered a "noob" again?..
-EDIT2:im not a n00bz0r....
-EDIT3: AM I?!??
-EDIT4:...i cant be a noob...im an ownz0r!
-EDIT5:The end!
mitsos

Postby mitsos » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:20 pm

cromlis wrote:
r41n wrote:
cromlis wrote:funny episode, the guinea pigs were hilarious. and so was randy.

some people on this site don't seem to like any episodes and i keep seeing "sp is going downhill" and "it should be cancelled." i could understand if someone doesnt like one episode, but if u really feel it's that bad then just go away and dont watch it. the show isn't gonna change just cause you want it to.

Aren't people actually *supposed* to like a show for it to keep going?

Fans have the right to express their opinions. You have the right to not read them if you disagree; telling people to suck it up is just immature.

And to clarify, I would hate to have a board full of fanboys who love every single episode no matter what it's about.

But I think it's pathetic that some people watch south park every week and then come on here and say that it's terrible, should be canceled, that matt and trey have lost their touch, etc.. There are plenty of shows on TV that I don't like and that I wish were off the air, but I don't watch them every week and go on forums and whine about them. The only reason I'd do that would be a) to try to get the show to change and b) to be whiny and annoying. And I don't think Matt and Trey will listen to some whiny online posts.

yeah!!! can you bealive these guys?
what noobs... -_-
SerraDeMar

Postby SerraDeMar » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:35 pm

HILARIOUS! This episode was better than the first. The costumed guineas were genius and the episode fits perfectly with it being halloween and all. Can't wait till next week!
SPFAN1994

Postby SPFAN1994 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:36 pm

craig was the best part of the whole two episodes. he didnt even care about what was going on and destroyed the gang telling how it is
whatthejew

Postby whatthejew » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:19 pm

Do you know how annoyed Matt and Trey must be that people expect them to make some big, epic point in every episode?
I kind of appreciate that this two-parter was essentially random and out there and really not much about anything that's actually going on.
There were obviously some jabs at Homeland Security and all that, but for the most part I think it was just a parody of Cloverfield and I'm fine with that.
I mean, in Cartoon Wars they pretty much admitted that they can be way too preachy at times, so I think it's nice to have an episode or two that's just random, silly humor.
Fanfiction account. | Myspace account. | MyAnimeList account.
Much easier to get to know me at one of those.
Also I love Kyle, no pedo, okay, maybe some.
CHEL BEAN

Postby CHEL BEAN » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:20 pm

Guinea pigs in costumes was a-mazing. My favorite was pirate guinea pig.

"I just ate a peanut."
Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly!

Intelligent and friendly on rye bread with some mayonaisse.
GregW

Postby GregW » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:28 pm

Two thumbs up to the animators of the show, that was simply immense.
At least we have аssholes, you dumb girl!
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:29 pm

whatthejew wrote:Besides, does anyone else besides me think this was almost a self-parody? With Craig making all the sarcastic comments to the boys, I almost felt like he was, in a way, critiquing the show itself. They got into, arguably, the weirdest situation ever all started by a normal thing (wanting money) that escalated into, well, guinea pirate being beaten by lasers shooting out of Craig's eyes.
I felt like it was them saying 'Yeah, our plots can be crazy and out there, but oh well,' and some people would agree with Craig and say, you know, normal kids just fall off their bikes, so why the hell do the boys always get into these random, crazy, epic adventures?
That's just what I got from it, that they were showcasing those kind of episodes, where the boys get into a huge adventure that effects the whole world and then blatently having Craig point out the flaws in the scenerio.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just my opinion.

'tis the genius of south park, they take the piss out of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE, including themselves :)
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:35 pm

whatthejew wrote:Do you know how annoyed Matt and Trey must be that people expect them to make some big, epic point in every episode?
I kind of appreciate that this two-parter was essentially random and out there and really not much about anything that's actually going on.
There were obviously some jabs at Homeland Security and all that, but for the most part I think it was just a parody of Cloverfield and I'm fine with that.
I mean, in Cartoon Wars they pretty much admitted that they can be way too preachy at times, so I think it's nice to have an episode or two that's just random, silly humor.

very true
i dont know why everyone keeps expecting them to comment on what they want them to comment, if i've always loved something about sp is its element of surprise and coming up with the unexpected, expecting them to comment or make fun of something is pointless, they are gonna say what they wanna say and i love it just like that
besides, i think they've said a whole lot about elections already, they've already stated their opinion on that matter
bastardstepchild

Postby bastardstepchild » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:39 pm

I really think a lot of people missed the point and the humor in this episode. Such as:

1. The guinea pigs were not added for cuteness, but for deliberate lameness. See also: CRAB PEOPLE.

2. Dressing them as bees was for the intent of making the episode even lamer.

3. Anyone who knows anything about Matt and Trey should know that they are huge Monty Python fans, and Monty Python was notorious for ruining their own sketches and making their comedy a deliberate let-down. If you need further evidence, just watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."
whatthejew

Postby whatthejew » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:41 pm

jewish pride wrote:
whatthejew wrote:Do you know how annoyed Matt and Trey must be that people expect them to make some big, epic point in every episode?

very true
i dont know why everyone keeps expecting them to comment on what they want them to comment, if i've always loved something about sp is its element of surprise and coming up with the unexpected, expecting them to comment or make fun of something is pointless, they are gonna say what they wanna say and i love it just like that
besides, i think they've said a whole lot about elections already, they've already stated their opinion on that matter

Yeah, like, honestly, since when have Matt and Trey made an episode because someone wanted them too? xD
They just make it about what they want it to be about...
And yeah, if anyone really wants to hear about elections then can watch Douche and Turd or one of the other shows on every channel that is making fun of Obama, McCain, Palin and Biden, it's not that hard to find.
I'm actually glad there hasn't been an episode about the election yet, I'm somewhat sick of hearing about it.
Fanfiction account. | Myspace account. | MyAnimeList account.
Much easier to get to know me at one of those.
Also I love Kyle, no pedo, okay, maybe some.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:54 pm

chefwalker wrote:this episode was a complete waste of time. For ... the technicians who aired it on Comedy Central...

Haha it's about time somebody stood up for the technicians at Comedy Central!

As for me, I love this f*ckin' show.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
JWL1986

Postby JWL1986 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:12 pm

I've enjoyed most of this season so far (Major Boobage has to be my favorite of season 12). But this Pandemic 2-parter wasn't that great to me.

I dunno, I just didn't think a bunch of guinea pigs dressed in costumes is funny. It's fine if others liked it, that's just me. I did think Randy startling himself, the guy on the radio choking on a peanut, and the cheesy-but-amusing Peach and Apples thing was funny. And the over all animation for Randy's camera sequences was pretty awesome too.

I certainly don't think the show should be cancelled. I just personally think they didn't have a good idea this time...or rather, they could have done it a little better. The evil mastermind is yet another guinea pig except wearing a pirate costume? Come on.

I'm wondering if the Craig vs. the 4 boys thing is trying to say something subtly. Stan said that "Craig's being a dick because we're having a hard time right now." Does that mean Trey and Matt are having a hard time coming up with ideas? And Craig is the voice of the annoyed fan who seems to grow tired of the boys getting into situations like this all the time? This really got me thinking when Craig's walking away and Cartman says "this is boring, we're just walking around" and Craig replies with "yep. boring. just the way I like it." I dunno, what are y'alls thoughts? Are they trying to say something here? Or am I reading too much into it :lol:

Either way, still love the show. Looking forward to new episodes.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”