*1211: Pandemic 2 - The Startling* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

superiorsavior

Re: *1211: Pandemic 2 - The Startling* Post-Air Discussion

Postby superiorsavior » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Sorry if I sounded overly harsh, I'd give this a 7/10 too, I just expected more from it. Shoudn't let my hopes up too high but I've spent the last week waiting for this :p

I love the song Cars, so hearing the panpipe version made me sooooo happy.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Billistic

Postby Billistic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Ugh, I can't believe how many suck ups there are in the forum.

Anyone that calls these 2 episodes "Good" or "Funny" are probably 12 year olds or major lamers.

You're like butters in the Indiana Jones episode "I thought it was pretty good!" You have no taste and your opinion is meaningless.

What pisses me off is this is 2 episodes gone on one sh*tty plot line. it'd be ok if it were one episode that sucked, but now we're that much closer to the end of the season.
ned15

Postby ned15 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:09 pm

Billistic wrote:Ugh, I can't believe how many suck ups there are in the forum.

Anyone that calls these 2 episodes "Good" or "Funny" are probably 12 year olds or major lamers.

You're like butters in the Indiana Jones episode "I thought it was pretty good!" You have no taste and your opinion is meaningless.

What pisses me off is this is 2 episodes gone on one sh*tty plot line. it'd be ok if it were one episode that sucked, but now we're that much closer to the end of the season.

well i'm sorry that i actually thought this episode was good! jesus christ, why does everyone make such a big deal if people have a different opinion? every episode is debatable so you shouldn't be upset if some people liked it. and no, i'm not a pissed off 12 year old!
"you musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."
eames
Sgt. Sarge

Postby Sgt. Sarge » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:11 pm

A very nice episode however I'm torn to whether or not if I want to see a part three of this or an entirely new episode...
Yosh! Life is good cause I want it that way.
jonholb56

Postby jonholb56 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:17 pm

Craig Tucker has been one of my favorite characters in "South Park" ever since I saw the episode, "Craig vs. Tweeg". Craig is a funny character because he always speaks in a very monotone voice and appears emotionless.
I am going to have to watch this episode again tonight. There are so much detail and suttle jokes in these two parts that they are easy to miss with just one viewing.
Thank-You
whatthejew

Postby whatthejew » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Billistic wrote:The whole episode ends up becoming some cutesy play up to all the chicks that watch the show.

Excuse me?
To all the chicks that watch the show?
Now first off, I'm not a feminist, I'm totally fine with sex roles, I get that there are differences between males and females and we like different things.
But excuse me?
I didn't once 'aw' at the guinea pigs, I laughed at them because they looked so absurd and it was surreal that they were causing so much horror around the world when they were guinea pigs dressed up in costumes.
It was not cutesy and certainly not for, as you so intelligently put it, 'all the chicks that watch the show.'
And you know, sorry I liked these episodes and sorry I liked The China Probrem as well.
Has it ever occured to you that some people have a different sense of humor than you?
I don't laugh at everything on South Park, but just because I don't think it's funny doesn't mean it's not funny at all. Different people find different things funny and they aren't '12 year olds or major lamers' just because they don't agree with you.
You should learn to respect other people's opinions on something.
I can respect that you didn't like the episode, but you don't have to be so rude about it.
Last edited by whatthejew on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanfiction account. | Myspace account. | MyAnimeList account.
Much easier to get to know me at one of those.
Also I love Kyle, no pedo, okay, maybe some.
SouthofHeaven

Postby SouthofHeaven » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:21 pm

I thought the episode was just okay. I'm hoping like a lot of the episodes of past this one will grow on me until I love it.
Who's a jigga wha?
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:23 pm

Didja notice that when the boys were looking around in Peru, Craig just looked foward, not caring to look at his surroundings? And that waterfall scene in the ancient "spooky" temple with the steps leading down to nowhere in the foreground (the boys were in the background), something right out of either "India Jones" or "National Treasure," Craig just said "no." And when sparks or rays or whatever came out of his eyes, he just said something like: "Great, sparks are shooting from my eyes."

As for the Guinea Pigs in "costumes," how else would a Guinea Bee, or a Guinea Rabbit, or for that matter, a Guinea Pirate look? Arrrrr......

Craig is just being Craig, as when he produced "Dogs wearing hats" in episode 811, "Quest for Ratings," and who can forget the classic "Tweek vs. Craig" in episode 305?
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Approx.Purified

Postby Approx.Purified » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:23 pm

Hopliitti wrote:Sigh. Going downhill. Fast.

It is clear that these two episodes should have been smashed in one. The first one was way too slow and this one was way too repetitive. Even as a single episode I don't see how the three jokes (Craig's rants, Randy's camera, guinea pigs) could have carried the whole thing alone.. don't even get me started on how badly they failed at carrying TWO.

I didn't even smile at Craig's rants, since they were pretty predictable and I don't like Craig's monotone style. But I can still understand how some people find them funny for the first, maybe second time.. but for two episodes straight? The same f*cking joke over and over again? Are you guys serious? Same applies to Randy's camera. The same exact formula, no surprises, no nothing. And after two episodes the punchline is "oh I didn't put the tape in". Seriously, who DIDN'T see that coming? Come on.

The China Problem had some funny moments - not a classic, and a disappointment for sure for a half-season opener but still a pretty solid episode. Breast Cancer Show was as predictable as they get, a boring time travel back to the days of season one - without the campy touch. The jokes seemed as if they were glued in the script with brute force, the plot didn't go anywhere and the ending was embarrasingly poor. And this two-parter failed to put the series back on track. Don't you people think there would have been some other, more topical, interesting and funny subject to comment on than Cloverfield?

Half of the half-season has gone by, delivering little more than disappointments after another. I really hope the next episode will be more tolerable, because if it's as dull as these have been so far.. well, who knows. Maybe I ought to find a new series.

Heartbreaking, really.

You've pretty much summed up my thoughts about this two parter. I look forward to each episode. I was disappointed about 1210 and was hoping there wouldn't be a part 2.

When it was announced I just hoped it could salvage what had been a very weak plot and hopefully add some humour to it.

It failed. Simple as. Afraid it'll take more then some guinea pigs dressed as pirates, T-rex, bees etc to get a laugh. There were a couple of decent lines but they only managed to raise a smile rather then laughter.

Being quite honest these two episodes are probably the worst episodes I have ever seen of SP.

Oh well, there is always next week and hopefully a return to form. Unless that is next week is Pandemic 3 :shock:
Hopliitti

Postby Hopliitti » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:28 pm

The new episodes are simply not as intelligent as they were a couple seasons back. INTELLIGENCE is the main thing here. They try to be funny the same way, but the jokes are not that well built.

Think about it - in a lot of the older episodes there are lots of story elements and jokes floating around, eventually connecting in a hilarious way. Casa Bonita, Good Times With Weapons, even Cartmanland - all of these are so much more intelligent than the new ones. Now the careful planning of the plot is replaced with randomness, wannabe-oneliners ("you don't shoot a guy in the dick", coming straight out of NOWHERE) and intertextual references. Cartman's statement "when I make a joke, it's relevant to the storyline" is not valid anymore.
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:37 pm

Next week -- Pandemic IV -- always leave the audience wanting more. As for Pandemic III, M & T could just skip over that one and go right to #4. Only 6 days to find out!
CrzyGrmn

Postby CrzyGrmn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:42 pm

god damn i thought this episode was funny as hell! the whole startling thing, the guine bees, pigs, bears, and of course pirates xD
and craig made this episode even morve valuable! you gotta admit that after watching it and thinking about all these things i just said it has got to be funny! i know the plot wasn't all that great but come on! i'm just so sad the season's almost over again :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig: :craig:
germanguyII

Postby germanguyII » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:20 pm

When will the guinea pig pics be online?
The world need them! ALL!
Cattivo

Postby Cattivo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:28 pm

Probably the worst ep since a Million Little Fibers or that Lice one.

I've liked the rest of the season, but these two were just boring and fell flat.

Here's hoping they end the season better than this.

4/10.
Yozuka

Postby Yozuka » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:33 pm

Hèhè guinea pirates...
Apart from that it was as weak as expected.
Damn you Trey! Just cause imaginationland won an emmy that doesn't mean you can let your henchmen take over the show, ya lazy conformist :/

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”