*1301: The Ring* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

SouthParkPhilosopher

Re: *1301: The Ring* Post-Air Discussion

Postby SouthParkPhilosopher » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:22 am

catpeekenny wrote:I'm with RidetheLightning here. I'm confused on how people continue to think this show is getting worse. It might not be at its "golden years" anymore, but it is still able to do so much more than any other comedy show.

As for the rant, you really need to think things through. These characters have GROWN since the early seasons. They've been taught sex ed and nearly fought to the death over it. Them discussing BJ's and several seasons later isn't out of character. It's called natural progression and character development. The characters are still the same at their core, but they are growing up more and more, which is in many ways what this show is all about.

(And this is coming from someone who thinks the best SP was between Seasons 3 and 4)

Hmm, I never said anything about older episodes being better. I love all the South Park episodes. The characters have grown yes but they are still in a sense young 4th graders.
Thanks for your opinion. South Park forever!
South Park Forever!!! Kevin C fan!

"Never ever compare South Park to Family Guy!"

"If you devote your whole life to completely avoiding something you like, then that thing still controls your life..."
-Stan Marsh

Pics http://southparkphilosopher.deviantart.com/
PianoSomeOne

Postby PianoSomeOne » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:28 am

I personally didn't like this episode, at all. I laughed maybe once or twice, but the whole originality from South Park I'm not really seeing. :(
South Park hasn't been crazy funny for a few seasons.
I'll defiantly watch more new episodes, because I still love South Park!! hehe!
:assface:
PhilipSerbia

Postby PhilipSerbia » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:22 am

This episode was just great! I'm very glad to see Mr. Slave back. 8.5/10
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:21 am

I liked the episode, as I gave it an 8/10 before. However, my future hopes are that they stop parodying, satirizing, or mocking every week a single pop-culture thang. Make it part of a collective of things parodied/satired/mocked one week, don't do it the next week, and then do a really specific parody/satire/mocking spree the next week.
But it isn't a huge deal.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
caspianrex

Postby caspianrex » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:22 pm

I think this was the best SP season opener in some time!

Taking on Disney head-on like that showed BALLS, and Mickey's big rant about Christians was amazing (and I say that as a Christian).

Really, I thought you could never top the Trapped In the Closet parody of Scientology, but this episode may have done that.

Congrats. :D
FredtheFrog

Postby FredtheFrog » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:31 pm

I got nothing against the episode but I hope Matt and Trey tackle some current issues – we could use some SP spin on Madoff, the bailouts, the economy, the crazy Right against Obama, etc….

Looking forward to the rest of the season!!!

Thanks guys
airmoreau86

Postby airmoreau86 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:53 pm

This is definitely one of the better season premieres in a while, 8/10 for me. Mickey had me f*cking rolling. This was refreshing as I was pretty disappointed in the finale of last season, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. South Park rocks!

Butters: Isn't that what a wedding ring is for?
RickS

Postby RickS » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:24 pm

I'm a big Disney douche. I'm a Disney classics zombie, but thanks to my kids we sasq-watch 25 hours of Disney Channel every day and Tivo for the remaining hours. "The Ring" is some funny television. I'm glad to see Matt and Trey take on "The Mouse"...
Raisinz

Postby Raisinz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:53 pm

The biggest disappointment for me in this episode was the voice they used for the Jonas Brothers. It just sounded a lot like Trey's voice, not really like the whiney Jonas Brothers.

Other than that, I am looking forward to seeing what else they do this season!
Last edited by Raisinz on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rexington9eleven

Postby Rexington9eleven » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:26 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but really?

I would expect better arguments from SP fans. Not to say some of the posts aren't on point, but some are just really ignorant.

Forgive me if some of this has already been said, but these guys, Matt and Trey, aren't stupid. They're trying to expose some real big issues that mainstream media won't ever touch. Like the whole Disney controversy. I don't want to get into a whole "conspiracy theory" debate. I'm not about that. The point I'm trying to make is that most of society is to busy looking for a second or third job or has there hands full with a double quarter pounder with cheese and don't get a chance to really see what's going on in the world. And sadly enough, most people, even with they're expensive college receipts I mean diplomas are no smarter than a child. A fourth grade child.

I apologize for getting all preachy, but it's a television show. A television show I enjoy. So really there's no need to get all, "Oh this episode sucked, blahdy blah". Like someone previously posted, it's called progression. These kids are growing up.

And to compare the show to Family Guy, ha. That one was rich. Family Guy the show that just started to get "political" and for some reason seems to be moving backwards. Now the baby character acts like a baby, when in the beginning he was some sort of diabolic evil genius.

Again, sorry for the rant. I'm just bored. In the end we're all here for the same reason. We're fans of the show.

Peace.
vivaso80

Postby vivaso80 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:53 pm

My first response when I knew this episode is about Kenny and his girl friend was "Oh, how are they gonna kill Kenny?"
The way they killed Kenny in this episode is really funny.
I hope Trey and Matt will kill Kenny and be bastards every episode in this season.
KennyKicksAss

Postby KennyKicksAss » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:42 pm

I'm really happy with how this episode turned out, I was hoping for an episode like this, I'm so glad we're seeing more of Kenny. I normally don't like seeing Kenny die, but at least he died happy. Finally, Kenny gets some action! I wonder if he keeps his girlfriend in future episodes, or they break up after he dies like with Kelly. It'd be so cute if they were long term in future episodes. Maybe she gets preg :shock:
Psycho Mysterion tattoo

Poor Kenny, trapped forever on my back...

Ah, the memories...

Favourite character: Kenny
Favourite episode: Mysterion Rises
agavensaft

Postby agavensaft » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:46 pm

hey guys,

its also my first post after my first video on spstudios.com and I really injoyed this episode even I usually watch the german translation of that.

I just want to support my parent poster in every point of his very good comment. Lets try to have a good platform to diskuss what SP gives to us. It has a very good potential for us to reflect our beeing in that f*cking childy society.

Keep it real and don't get married ;)
marc
eurostar

Postby eurostar » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:08 pm

This just wasn't funny - there wasn't a single laugh in it. Well done to the writers for attacking Disney's silver ring posturing, but where were the jokes? I love filth, but the premise of a ten year old girl giving blow jobs didn't tickle me. The fact that she was a new character with no back story probably didn't help. The singing scenes were stretched out for far too long - a sign that the writers just ran out of ideas this time. And what was with the giant hovering firebreathing Mickey Mouse? Was that supposed to be a homage to Beowulf? Whatever it was, it was lame. I'm surprised that so many people seem to have enjoyed it. Please tell me which lines were funny...PLEASE!
jbaybayx3

Postby jbaybayx3 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:21 pm

mikejaysmith wrote:Did you seen Chantal (The tot from Freak Strike) in the Pepsi Center concert? :shock:

lol yes i did

THE BROUGHT MR.SLAVE BACK :lol:

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”