*1301: The Ring* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Scotland

Re: *1301: The Ring* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Scotland » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:10 am

One of the best episodes in a while. I don't know why people are so disappointed. Considering last seasons finale, I thought this was pretty funny.
I'm just glad the boys got some screentime :cartmansmile:

This took me forever to type since I keep getting logged out on here :craig:
Last edited by Scotland on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah! So I did! I wanna just smiling!
VivaSP

Postby VivaSP » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:04 pm

TaroRoot wrote: I think I am different from most of the people here. I take what Matt and Trey are doing pretty seriously. Many times in history, only clowns have been able to speak the truth. That has become increasingly the case through the last decade. Even Groening went all corporate... South Park has still got an edge and I love it.

Thanks for your post TaroRoot. I also take South Park seriously. If there was no satire in it, I would not bother watching.

And about only clowns speaking the truth: I immediately thought of the Fool in King Lear who despite being the king's jester, was the most trenchant, insightful character in the play.

As a long time Simpsons fan, I fear that Groening has become stale and is no longer producing the classic satire that he used to. It is difficult to watch that empire fall.

I joined and started posting for the first time this season also. I am glad to be in good company.
"Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it." - Cartman
MasterDaNe

Postby MasterDaNe » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:56 pm

Wow this was an awesome episode!!

When Micky mouse come into the room and started to beat them up i couldnt stop laughing!!! ;D soo funny =) :lol:

But i was glad they did that because b4 mickey it was a bit boring. :(
The bird is the word.
Scotland

Postby Scotland » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Well you can't please everyone :roll:
Yeah! So I did! I wanna just smiling!
eurostar

Postby eurostar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:53 pm

I'm another who enjoys SP as serious satire. I'm sure that's how Matt and Trey see it too - they are the Jonathan Swifts of our time. That's why I was so disappointed with the clumsiness of this episode. Great idea to go for Disney, purity rings, Christians etc. Those are such huge targets you would think Matt and Trey could hardly miss . But the humour fell flat because there was no subtlety. The 'wit' was so heavy-handed, so slow, so clunky. Take the foam-hosing scene for example...it was about 1000% overdone. That's what happens when you have too few jokes in an episode. The whole thing gets padded out . It's lowest common denominator stuff, with Matt and Trey apparently trying to please 13 year olds instead of their own generation. What a shame. Let's hope it's just a blip.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:12 pm

eurostar wrote:Take the foam-hosing scene for example...it was about 1000% overdone.

Haha, you haven't seen this, have you?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:23 pm

Big-Will wrote:
eurostar wrote:Take the foam-hosing scene for example...it was about 1000% overdone.

I thought they were just joking on that bit.... now I know why they say they are selling sex to girls.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
big keny

Postby big keny » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:20 pm

did he get a bj in the end????????
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
RAGGLE FRAGGLE!
i wasnt hitting you,i was simply high-fiveing your face
SUM 41 ROCKS!!!
celtic dragon!
LawrenceTaylor

Postby LawrenceTaylor » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:41 pm

You bet he got his BJ...!

And I also am one to take South Park cereally. Though what is seriousness, really? Its inactivity in disguise.

Lets not forget that the show isn't perfect, and never has, and neither has The Simpsons. I think we're just so used to seeing crap that when something does something that feels remotely decent, we exaggerate the hell out of it, until everyone lowers their standards so much it takes another ten years to make something half decent. Every decade has one half decent thing that everyone whores off of for sustenance and scrapes dry of life. I wish we wouldn't do that. I wish we'd find a way to actually practice what we preach.

This episode was really funny, but also pretty simple, which has its benefits; but it was definitely familiar. I want to see Matt and Trey break all of their own rules before the show ends.

I think I've figured out that people are terrified of innovation, so they'll do whatever they can to hold onto old ideas; retro fads, over-glorifying. But all that stuff would be worth twice as much if we didn't resort to sucking it dry.
Maybe you know what I mean y'all.
Kobb

Postby Kobb » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Big-Will wrote:

Seeing that one video clip made the episode even better for me. Seriously, the episode as a whole just suddenly works and is funnier after watching that single video. Thanks for posting olo
Terrance&Phillip

Postby Terrance&Phillip » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:24 pm

My theory on South Park losing its touch....I believe that the reason I enjoyed earlier seaons of South Park is because the animation was so sh*tty, that made the characters and the setting so funny. It used to be all construction paper and made from frame by frame pictures all thrown together. Now its all computerized, and I personally hate it. I don't like seeing so much detail, its just annoying and it makes them have to make out a whole complex story line instead of just throwing good old stupid yet funny comedy pertaining to how retarded the show looks and the characters sound.
I've been watching South Park ever since I was a kid. I grew up on this show, and I love it. I also grew up watching The Simpsons and hardly ever catch the new episodes...BECAUSE THEIR NOT LIKE THE OLD ONES....The new episodes just lost the Simpsons touch, just as South Park is begining to do.
In conclusion, I don't think South Park will ever be the same, because its just too computerized and high-tech for my taste. Its not a cartoon, its an animated series. Thats all these kids grow up on these days. Anyway, I love South Park and always will.
Shut your f*cking face uncle f*cker.
Kobb

Postby Kobb » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:29 pm

News flash, they've used computer animation since season 1.

Besides that, I agree. I'd much rather have the show have sh*tty animation and consist of nothing but jokes without a plotline like you described. Of course that sounds a bit like Family Guy but it's obviously COMPLETY DIFFINT.
meatman

Postby meatman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:54 pm

Okay, again a longterm southpark fan speaking here (thank you guys btw for sharing your work on the internet like this, it's just great):

my observations / ideas to what we are dealing with here:

1. southpark tries to aim now to younger audiences (13-16), presenting topics like guitarhero, jonasbrothers, highschoolmusical and this vampire thingy.
2. in every third episode something catastrophic happens, we get used to this "OMG something destroys the town" topic, right. this time it was mouse.
3. what is a strong argument for sp (obama episode) - the reference to actuality - kills kind of the spirit of creating something timeless and is, overused, a cheap way get fresh material.
4. were are the layers? i mean, I get it, disney is bad, but every big company is bad, microsoft, apple, google - they all just are where they are because they to things which work, not necessarily things who are ethical.
5. kenny now is the character of drugs and sex, through kenny sp can go for all the topics, who are normally not in the universe of eight year olds. in the past sex was treated with more caution and indirectness.
6. i had no laughs in this episode, which annoys me, but well, I'm stil grateful for having the chance to watch this over the internet for free and I'm grateful for all the ingenious work you guys did and hopefully do again in future episodes.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:46 pm

VivaSP wrote:
TaroRoot wrote: I think I am different from most of the people here. I take what Matt and Trey are doing pretty seriously. Many times in history, only clowns have been able to speak the truth. That has become increasingly the case through the last decade. Even Groening went all corporate... South Park has still got an edge and I love it.

Thanks for your post TaroRoot. I also take South Park seriously. If there was no satire in it, I would not bother watching.

And about only clowns speaking the truth: I immediately thought of the Fool in King Lear who despite being the king's jester, was the most trenchant, insightful character in the play.

As a long time Simpsons fan, I fear that Groening has become stale and is no longer producing the classic satire that he used to. It is difficult to watch that empire fall.

I joined and started posting for the first time this season also. I am glad to be in good company.

You can take SP seriously and still believe that as a comedy show, the comedy is what should come first, not the message.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
sgpx

Postby sgpx » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:18 pm

nice ep

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”