*1305: Fishsticks* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Raisinz

Re: *1305: Fishsticks* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Raisinz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Ok, I was very happy with this episode, it was completely stupid and lame, but in a good way. I had started to give up on this Season because I didn't like the other episodes so much, but I guess we all have different favorites. I would rate it a 8/10

I also noticed that the irony in this episode is that Kanye thinks he's a genius by using wordplay in his lyrics and then overemphasizing them. Practically every song he writes is like that. But then the genius himself can't figure out what fishsticks means.
Last edited by Raisinz on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steelspine

Postby steelspine » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:36 pm

I was roflmao at Cartman's ego trip flashbacks plus Kanye's inability to get the joke thinking people are trying to tell him he is a gay fish. The ep started a bit slow but is one of the best of the season so far.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words ... words might hurt me deeply, causing great emotional, mental, and psychological damage leading to a lowered self-esteem and decreased work-related efficiency."
-- Anonymous
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:48 pm

MrBreakstown wrote:Another truely horrible epsiode. This show has truely run out of ideas, and with the execption of a decent episode this season has been a total bust.

First the joke, not clever, not funny, nothing anyone past middle school should laugh at. Stick means dick, oh how funny, how hillarious. Please. Maybe if the self proclaimed "funiest joke ever" was not shown on screen (as evidenced in the Coon episode the writers are not above such a copout) maybe this would have worked, but such a lame joke does not work. It instantly falls flat, Kanye trying to figure out the joke would be way more clever if it was a funny joke woth getting, but sadly it is not.

Kanye West as a target falls flat. His last album came out at least 5 months ago, and hasnt really been in the news for quite sometimes so a message episode about him feels dated. Celebrity targets are always hit and miss on South Park, sometimes it works (A good example being the black celebrities moving into South Park). But often it runs way off the rails. Kanye was not as horrible as the sh*tty Britney Spears episode or the even worse handling of the Micheal Richards situation (though they did have Jesse Jackson characterized correctly in that ep), but the character was unfunny and flat.

The allegory between him and cartman could have been interesting, and we were not beaten over the head with it, though it did not work for me. The two characters were similar, but thats all that was pointed out in the episode, and nothing really came from it other than repetition of the stupid fish joke and how great it is supposed to be.

Jimmy is always a bad character, he stutters, he is on crutches, boring and not needed, but he is one of the characters Matt and Trey are currently in love with, but I wish he goes the way of Ned.

The stuff i liked in the episode was the Jewbots, though Cartmans jew hating is really kind of tired (i though the joke in the bathroom was boring, jewbots was way more inventive). Beating up Mencia was my favorite part of the episode. He is talentless and was needed this type of treatment, and his violent death was kind of amusing, especially at the hands of a serial sampler like West. The "i dont have a dick" stuff as well as his over the top mexican manerisms was another example of the writers relying too much on a single joke. Though i did not like the song and thought the underwater sequence did go on too long i did chuckle at him using autotune in a faithful parody song.

This episode was really bad, I would say slightly better than last weeks episode, still bad, but same rating as last week. Only one decent episode this season, I wish the creators realize that one not jokes and storylines that are not well thought out will only help the decline of this show. I saw someone say this was easily one of the best episodes from the show, i would like to know if someone like that has ever seen episodes from before this season?

3/10

What are you, a gay fish?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
Jdprdise

Postby Jdprdise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:58 pm

That episode was hilarious lol. I got on Kanye's site to see how butthurt he was over and he actually took it well, wich is surprising. At least he didnt pull a douche Tom Cruise move that ass was REAL butthurt. Here is the link to Kanyes reaction lol. http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blog/? ... 1=&em3161=
Last edited by Jdprdise on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirKerrek

Postby SirKerrek » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:04 pm

One things for absolutely sure, I am going to be asking people if they like fishsticks for a while now...

Ok, right off the bat, I wasn't jiving too much with the episode. It kinda started out slow and the first legitimate laugh was when they brought in Carlos Mencia. However, from about midway through the episode and onward, it was completely hilarious.

Carlos getting his head batted off was pure win, as was the increasing ridiculosity of Cartman's ego-infested flashbacks. Cartman as the Human Torch fighting off Jew-bots... how is that not hilarious? And then the ending... OH the ending. Kanye swimming and autotune singing. And humping and making out with fish.... SO awesome.

This might have had the best episode closing yet this season. Overall, however, I'd say the whole thing was off-balance, with a kinda boring first half being outweighed by a hysterical second half.

So, it gets a 7.5 from me. Still good though, which means that Season 13 continues to rock on.
Favorite Character: Butters
Favorite Episode: Good Times with Weapons
2stevejc

Postby 2stevejc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Simpsonsdidit! wrote:*sigh* I have to say it really looks like South Park has run out of decent ideas. Don't get me wrong I love each episode, but this one just seemed boring and un-imaginative. The premise was a pretty stupid, lame joke and the plot line seemed like the writers didn't try very hard. What happened to the good old days of south park? w=What has happened to the show that I always looked forward to with relish every week?

Maybe you're getting old. Unimaginative. Kanye West is a Gay Fish, a codsucker. I love this show , don't have a bad word to say about it, and can't wait till next week. Flame off.
jonno.d

Postby jonno.d » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:57 pm

The Apple has fallen far from the tree. This is without a doubt the worst episode in perhaps ever. Come on guys, what is the matter with you? I have grown up with South Park keenly watching every episode since its inception the good ol days, what is this abortion that you have made? Is it that you have a swing in audience now having to appeal to kids in grade school or suddenly stuck in some kind of time matrix or perhaps your audience has now dropped to people with an IQ below 30? I don’t know.

Remember truth does not make something funny nor does a lame joke that is clearly not funny be made into a joke that simply is because South Park says it is; it doesn’t work with this storyline or its connotations, the characters where lifeless, dull and uninteresting. It really made my day watching this episode I now feel depressed; of what ‘was’ once a glorious program the best on the planet has now lost its edge. This season has been slowly dwindling from sh*t to even a bigger pile of sh*t I cant expect much for the rest of the season.

South Park Episode 503 Jimmy’s inaugural episode was an outstanding episode, 702 another great 21minutes of pure entertainment and Jimmy’s appearance in episode 617 really added valuable entertainment, the way it should be; yet in one quick swoop the makers of South Park killed this one.

A poor attempt by any standards.
erjolog

Postby erjolog » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:01 pm

It took me a while to understand what they meant by fishsticks :oops: . (maybe my poor english) but by the rest i found it really funny, although it could have been better, I agree with that :roll:
Fav. character: Me(eric) Cartman!
2nd fav Character: Chef
3rd fav character: mexicans
saludos^^

Postby 203177 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:15 pm

i kinda liked it, I like the parts when they made fun of the menica guy and ellen and kayne west. But i didn't find the gayfish thing funny. I thought the jew bot thing was really funny though. I also thought the part killing menica was kinda gross. So in my opinion i think this episode deserves a 7/10.
My favorite sp characters: Bridon(he's so cute!)
Kyle,Stan, Kenny/Mysterion.

Fave ep: ESM Season 12,Sec fave: Butterballs Season 16
Iceman720

Postby Iceman720 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Carlos Mencia is so funny on SP. It's about time someone made fun of him for a change.
WiLLiaint

Postby WiLLiaint » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Pros:
-Showed us how everyone steals jokes; credit is not always properly given...
-Sharing credit is difficult, particularly when it's with someone who's really greedy, pompous and delusional!
-How stupid being a self proclaimed genius really is.
-"Oh no Jimmy, it's a Black Widow! I'll kill it!" Everyone is so mellow, even when a deadly creature is about!
-Cartman's Delusions got more and more pompous
-Carlos Mencia... did they use motion capture for that!? How else could they get him to act like such a "butt-hole"!
-Kanye's epiphany: "I am a gay fish!"
--Kanye Taking the joke seriously... (although it's probably unrelated, it happens a lot when people review SP. They tend to take things literally, as well)
---Kanye swimming, and the song. Until he just jumped in, I thought he was going to pull off his face, and reveal he was a fish...

Cons
-A little repetitive. There were several things that repeated: Cartman's Delusions, The Comedians, Kanye's trouble, Kyle's advice... Though they all work well, and are all essential, it just seemed to slow it down
-Kanye didn't pull off his face and become a real fish.
(I was personally hoping for that through half the episode)

I get why Kanye was getting so mad about being called gay, which is because he supports black gay rights, and he's just fighting accusations.
I've no clue whether Kanye has had any fish fetish incidents in the past, but... I guess he has now.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you can't
ManBearPig2009

Postby ManBearPig2009 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 pm

"Dude it's Puff Daddy!!"
jimman1000

Postby jimman1000 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:44 pm

this one sucks :(
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:53 pm

laponne wrote:I'm surprised nobody in here mentionned their interpretations of all the talk shows, jimmy kimmel's lips and dave's laugh were spot on. LOL

I noticed that too. But I guess due to time constraints or the mere repetition of all the late night shows, they missed one late night show: The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson.

Ferguson is the only late night host who ad-libs his material, a sharp contrast to the other late night hosts and to Jimmy Valmor who actually write their jokes, such as “Do you like fishsticks?” And Ferguson is a SP fan, mentioning SP sometimes in his monologues such as comparing himself (appearance wise) to SP characters.

Also, Ferguson is from Scotland. I would have loved to hear an excuse for MnT to use a Scottish accent once more as they did for Chef’s parents with that memorable quote of: “Tree Fiddy.”
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redblade7

Postby redblade7 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:56 pm

What's bad about this is that like all jokes, it always winds up getting old. This is probably another "disposable" episode like Major Boobage was.
"Don't touch me! I've had my nuts broken, body poisoned, have been made love to in the ass by three dozen 40-year-old men—I just wanna go home and take a, a hot bath!" -Stuart McCormick

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”