*1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Wii fit man

Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Wii fit man » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:47 pm

It's not sudden. They stream an episode for a week, then can't let it out for a month, then let it out permanently. It has been going on for a while.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
WiLLiaint

Postby WiLLiaint » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:51 pm

South Park acts a lot like Bible stories (I'm not calling SP a bible, or their stories biblical):

It gives you lessons to learn in a fun, enjoyable, and realistic way. If you take them the wrong way, you won't get the message.

Lying , to cover things up, usually does end up causing threads of lies, and trouble. It also shows how greed overpowers good judgment (Not that the people in South Park had good judgment to begin with) the world over.

This episode was hilarious. Non-stop Laughter!
Especially when "what's-his-babyfacemcgee" stepped out with a revolver and started talking like 30's style gangster. This is definitely moving onto my top 10 list!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you can't
DevilAngel16

Postby DevilAngel16 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:35 pm

I completely agree with the following two posts:

ScottMalkinson4 wrote:I haven't re-watched it yet but my impression is different from most here. I didn't think it was funny at all. In fact it was so embarrassingly un-funny, it made me uncomfortable. This was almost worse than Jackovosaur. Even if the episode is a commentary on returning to the Gold Standard or performance enhancing drugs, at least make it funny for chrissakes. And just because your a SP fan doesn't mean you have to like every episode. I'll watch it again at some point and see if my opinion changes. But it was so bad I don't feel the need to see it again like I usually do.

josuepilk wrote:I usually don’t negatively critique South Park for they very reason that I know I couldn’t do it better, but I have to say that this is by far the worst episode of what has so far been a very good season. The only positive was that they went all they way on their depiction of world leaders, even got Vanhanen's glasses right, so you have to give the animators major props on that one.

As for the content, lame. Someone said it seemed rushed. I have to agree this appeared very rushed. It’s as if they went in with the underlying plot that Earth would be shut out from the universe because of its greed and the one joke that Randy would dress up as Princess Leia. The rest? They just filled in with clutter a la Family Guy. Might as well do a Best Of episode if you're going in with a plotline that thin.

Really. Anytime you have Stan as a supporting character with no humorous or sarcastic lines and Cartman, Kenny, Butters and everyone else as a stand-in, you know you have a poorly planned episode on your hands. Unless of course, they plan to do with this one, what they did with the meteor shower in Season 3, but I don’t see that happening.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who thought this episode sucked. I just couldn't get into the plot at all. And I only laughed at a couple of things, such as Randy as Princess Leia (spelling?) as well as Randy saying "I love you, son" and then doing exactly what he just explained not to do when lying.

I was mostly disappointed that Randy was the one to carry the episode. I mean, I like Randy, but his ignorant actions/lies aren't enough to hold an episode together. The only part I really enjoyed was Stan confessing about cheating on his derby car. His guilt was pretty much building up throughout the entire episode; it was a relief to see him finally come clean.

Well anyway, aside from this episode, this season has been amazing so far. Here's hoping that the mid-season finale ends this run on a high note.
ClaudiaK

Postby ClaudiaK » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:11 pm

Ok
am i the only one who is bugged out of his f-ing mind that everytime i try to look a new episode i cant connect??
are more of u guys experiencing the same??
couse thats weak-lame as cartman would say ;)

greets me
Kobb

Postby Kobb » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:21 pm

Another great episode. The first time I watched this I was a bit mixed on it; I thought it had a really simple but entertaining storyline and I was happy that it was able to deliever all of it's jokes without involving celebrities or overexaggerations of character personalities and stuff like that. The second time I watched it the laughs started sinking in more and it gave some really good one liners (I especially liked "OH sh*t IT'S BABY FARK MAKEEZAX!").

This was one of the oddest episodes in a while and while it wasn't as funny as the past few episodes, the laughs felt less like they were forcefully delievered and instead they were tagged on with the plot and were just implyed instead of forced. I know I'm probably going to get bashed for saying this but this honestly felt like a classic episode, at least in the way they delievered some of the jokes. Par the animation, this feels like it could've been in season 7 or so.

I also liked the alien designs a lot; Baby Fark Makeezax (or whatever his name is) reminded me of a more humanoid Marklar and the alien cops were simply really cool. I liked the way they moved a lot as well, for some reason.

I suppose the episode feels rushed and short but at the same time it feels like a nonstop flow of humor goes into the episode; unlike previous episodes, there was nothing that made me burst out laughing, but the whole episode I was either laughing or at least smiling and into the plot. A great episode, I have been really suprised and happy with season 13 at its (almost) halfway point. I'd have to give this episode a 9.5/10, and along with Eat, Pray, Queef, I'd have to say that this episode feels very old school compared to other episodes. I'm not sure if it's my favorite (to be honest picking a favorite in season 13 is hard, and only the first two would definately not be on my list) but it was still a really damn good episode.

Edit: Another thing, a lot of people are saying it's a "Randy episode" but it didn't really feel this way to me. I understand that he was the main character in this one but similarly to Margaritaville, I don't think a single character really carried the episode.
RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:26 pm

This episode sucked pretty hard. I was bored shitless while watching it, it had the potential to be an awesome story including Cartman, Kenny, and Kyle. But we got about 7 good minutes at the beginning, and then the episode hit its apex when the father killed himself. After that it was just Randy yelling at all the world leaders.

I loved the first three episodes and Fishsticks was also awesome, but Eat, Pray, Queef and this one bore the f*ck outta me.

Matt and Trey are definitely saying that they need to bring the show back to it's roots, and they've kind of done that, they have old characters and stupid random humor back and characters are reverting back to what they used to act like. But they're missing the key ingredient to what made South Park so awesome. All they need to do is let the kids have some air time. Let the kids get into trouble and let them have to solve it, not Randy and the World Leaders.

Anywho, I have high hopes for the next episode being one to remember hopefully something like ManBearPig or Super Fun Time or Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls where it's about what has always made South Park so kick arse - the kids being kids.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:52 pm

I actually thought the father killing himself was one of the worst parts. The issue is that it actually falls into a trap used by a certain terrible show we like to mock where they play something super serious over something small for a few seconds for laughs. I don't find that technique funny.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Butterskicksass

Postby Butterskicksass » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:23 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:I actually thought the father killing himself was one of the worst parts. The issue is that it actually falls into a trap used by a certain terrible show we like to mock where they play something super serious over something small for a few seconds for laughs. I don't find that technique funny.

yeah... the father killing himself in front of the kid wasn't really cool, but after watching it 5 times back to back, i have changed my intial opinion. It was a good episode... I had said that from the beginning... I gave it a 6/10, only cause it really didn't seem to make sense.... but now i'm rested (cramming for tests for my masters...lol) I got it!!! a little slow I am.... but it was a really good episode. I take back my first score and give it an 8.5/10!!!! Still not better than Fishsticks though.... That is my new all time fav!!!
Do you like fishsticks? Then you must be a gay fish!
Favorite Character: Butters of course!
Favorite Episode: Fishsticks now... Was Fellowship of the rings.
Butterskicksass

Postby Butterskicksass » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:32 pm

By the way... I just wanted to let everyone know why I gave it a 6 at first.... I was so looking for a subplot or any kind of plot that I didn't relize that it was true South Park form.... the past sevaral seasons you had to think about and really watch... and I guess thats what I was doing. I didn't see right in front of my face that the story was right there.... AWESOME job MnT for going back to the roots of SP!!!! Plus.... I was really tired when I watched it on TV... sorry. Anyways, thats what happened. Talk at everyone soon.... Back to the books!!!! GRRRRRRRR!!!!!
Butterskicksass

Postby Butterskicksass » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Wii fit man wrote:
africanviolet wrote:This episode sucked.

That's not the right way to present your opinion.

Even though I don't like to agree with all those people that are saying "Go back to the roots!" I was pretty dissappointed by this episode. The only part I really liked was the stuff with Finland. It was, overall, the worst episode of season 13. But I loved all the others. This gets a 4.5, and keep in mind I think 5 is average. I thought it would be all about a big race...haha...

WOW!!! I have read several of your posts wii and I think thats the lowest score I have ever seen ya give.... are ya feeling ok?? lol... Have you watched it again?? It took me seeing it 5 times to get the whole grasp of things. But I will have to say its probably the least favorite episode of the season so far... but, its growing on me. It did go back to the early seasons where there was no real world topic involved IMO. :D
SajiNoKami

Postby SajiNoKami » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:53 pm

Emmit Hollus:
I hope he comes back on another episode. He went through an emotional trauma... so I hope we see the result.

Now that I have read some post:

heymanman wrote:This episode is great, the writers of SP are very aware of current political and world issues. This episode is full of subliminal messages and meanings that are taking place all around us today that most people don't know about.

Yeass, subliminal messaging is grand thing!

BigCamera4892 wrote:This episode was fantastic to this science fiction fan :)
10/10

Thanks for point out some interesting facts.. helps me get it more.

intentional or not wrote:
SajiNoKami wrote:I was entertained... only has China Problem, really bummed me out... *shiver*

Seriously. That is the only episode that just made my blood boil after seeing it. All the other eps that people seem to hate like Pip, Not Without My Anus, and a Million Little Fibers I can defend. But not China Problem.

Glad I am not the only one.

ShaneHaughey wrote:South Park can make excellent political and social commentary. However, when they do, they flatout say it and there isn't subterfuge at work. As such, people who seem to think there is some deeper meaning to the episode are seeing what they want to see.

If they want to just bitch about something, they do the flat out method, I agree. Why can't they be a subterfuge at work, with deeper meanings all over the place? Just maybe they don't want to be as preachy as a religion is?

Peg wrote:Lol, good episode. ^^
Someone noticed that Randy was touching his ear while he was saying ' I love you son ' ? Liiiiiiiiar. xP

Dude that killed me. God, poor Stan, I feel for the kid.
http://sajinokami.com/

formally sage_emerald
Diabeteth

Postby Diabeteth » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:47 am

Reading all these posts (yes, ALL of them!), I'm now noticing things I didn't notice before. I think it's funnier now than I did the first time around, but I still don't think it's that great. I'm going to agree that Randy as Princess Leia was hilarious: not so much that he did it, but the news reporting that it really was Princess Leia and Stan's reaction to that report. Ha!

However, I also will agree with the people who want less Randy and more kids. The kids... man, the kids totally make South Park. The adults are really stupid, and the kids are smart. Bottom line. Next week can we have the kids, please? That's all I care about. Give the midseason finale all four boys. Please?
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for an hour. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
WiLLiaint

Postby WiLLiaint » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:56 am

ShaneHaughey wrote:I actually thought the father killing himself was one of the worst parts.

I agree. The "he's okay" went on for too long. It could've been simply one cry....
I think one of the reasons people don't like this episode is because it has an an uncomfortable tone, what with lying, and as it grows more tense it continues.

By the way, Buttersucksass, have you met the edit button?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you can't
Whmmm!

Postby Whmmm! » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:46 am

That was dreadful! OK, it wasn't as bad as the Britney episode but I have no hesitation in saying that was the worst episode of series 13 so far. Didn't laugh once, just kept going wtf the whole time.... and why the f*ck is John Howard still prime minister of Australia? We got rid of him 2 years ago and we're still rejoicing because of it! OK M&T, it's probably just me but I'm over the whole suicides thing, I don't find it funny, just disturbing. The only suicide I ever thought was really funny was the one in the Magariataville episode.

The only reason I can think of for this episode turning out the way it did was M&T might've come up with all the pinewood derby stuff earlier on in the week and then though "Oh sh*t, we have nowhere to go with this!" so they just added a bunch of weird crap with aliens. Sometimes gambles like that really work well, this time it really didn't. Maybe it's because my little brother dragged me along to Monsters vs Aliens earlier that day and I was a bit over aliens at this point, but whatever. 4/10

Though despite this episode, this run of season 13 is still MUCH better than the first run of season 12. Hopefully next weeks episode will be great.
You know Jews are people too! Smaller, more insignificant people.
TheCraft

Postby TheCraft » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:54 am

Man,

What can i say besides I wish they would bring back the funny. South Park can get away with so much and they aren't. Please make it funny.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”