*1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Gay Polarity

Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Gay Polarity » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:32 pm

I've really never had a complaint about an episode before... and I know they were trying to get back to the way things use to be, the old humor, but uhhh....

This kinda sucked.... a lot
willowrose

Postby willowrose » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:50 pm

Gay Polarity wrote:I've really never had a complaint about an episode before... and I know they were trying to get back to the way things use to be, the old humor, but uhhh....

This kinda sucked.... a lot

I agree bb. :( Don't get me wrong, I've been WAITING for "the old humor" to be back. But either we're all just spoiled now with *much more intelligent SP* OR ... Well, no, that's probably it.

I wish I could have actually laughed. I was sitting there WAITING to laugh. I kept thinking "OK, it's coming... Right here... Right.... HEA-! wait, no. Nope. Still nothing" ... :(

I'm hoping it was one of those "dull episodes to build up the incredible awesome amazing and hilarious mid-season finale episode" next week.
I don't have a signature
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:38 pm

I was thinking on making a thread about the aliens in this episode (you know in reference to all the threads about finding aliens), but I decided that it's better not to get banned for it.

This ep was a bit better than the last, though it's too bad they didn't make a joke about the hardon collider. It had a good message to it, but it was slightly repetitive.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 pm

SajiNoKami wrote:Emmit Hollus:
I hope he comes back on another episode. He went through an emotional trauma... so I hope we see the result.

Now that I have read some post:

heymanman wrote:This episode is great, the writers of SP are very aware of current political and world issues. This episode is full of subliminal messages and meanings that are taking place all around us today that most people don't know about.

Yeass, subliminal messaging is grand thing!

BigCamera4892 wrote:This episode was fantastic to this science fiction fan :)
10/10

Thanks for point out some interesting facts.. helps me get it more.

intentional or not wrote:
SajiNoKami wrote:I was entertained... only has China Problem, really bummed me out... *shiver*

Seriously. That is the only episode that just made my blood boil after seeing it. All the other eps that people seem to hate like Pip, Not Without My Anus, and a Million Little Fibers I can defend. But not China Problem.

Glad I am not the only one.

ShaneHaughey wrote:South Park can make excellent political and social commentary. However, when they do, they flatout say it and there isn't subterfuge at work. As such, people who seem to think there is some deeper meaning to the episode are seeing what they want to see.

If they want to just bitch about something, they do the flat out method, I agree. Why can't they be a subterfuge at work, with deeper meanings all over the place? Just maybe they don't want to be as preachy as a religion is?

Peg wrote:Lol, good episode. ^^
Someone noticed that Randy was touching his ear while he was saying ' I love you son ' ? Liiiiiiiiar. xP

Dude that killed me. God, poor Stan, I feel for the kid.

South Park, when it doesn't want to appear preachy, is fair in the lead-up to the message being delivered. Give me one example where they used OMG SUBTERFUGE to get a political or social message across.
Besides, three common sense factors work against the DEEPER MEANINGS ALL OVER THE PLACE idea:
1- The show is being worked on right up until the morning it airs and mopst episodes only have six/seven days of work put into the, Episodes like this one where the second half feels a LOT like Crab People don't have deeper meanings because they struggle to even finish the thing.
2- Matt and Trey are not sitting in their office getting involved in serious discussions about government 24/7. Listening to the mini-commentaries, an image emerges of them trying to think of what would be funny or a message they feel strongly about and building a vehicle to deliver it.
3- Matt and Trey's track record with politics and social issues indicates they prefer direct, fair messages.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
erjolog

Postby erjolog » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:34 pm

the finish, the most honest people in the world :lol: .
It was a good episode I think :wink: .
Fav. character: Me(eric) Cartman!
2nd fav Character: Chef
3rd fav character: mexicans
saludos^^
Norwegian

Postby Norwegian » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:57 pm

To all you people saying that this was the worst episode in season 13.

Where the heck were you when "Eat, Pray, Queef" was aired?!

With that said, I can ease my nerves, because that episode was terrible. Though, everyone has a different opinion, and mine is not more correct than yours.

Also, I noticed one guy, a Finnish one(?), that asked about why the Fins doesn't look like trash cans since the Danes do. Well, Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, and you never will be. Finland is a part of the Nordic countries, but not Scandinavia. Perhaps your answer lies there? Or perhaps the Danes are special, like the Canadians? :)

And, did anyone notice that Randy said that someone should tell Norway about the destruction of Finland? Lol. Since they're pretty close to Finland.

I just have to say that I love that South Park makes fun of other countries, especially the Nordic countries! :D
It's great to know that other countries know of the existence of the Nordic countries. Even though the Danes are like the Canadians of Europe, therefore nobody knows or cares about them. Heh.

I really enjoyed this episode, it made me laugh several times. The opening gag with Sharon.
The theft done by the troubled rebel princess Leia.
The lies.
The pinewood derby car breaking the records and gaining warp speed.
Randy shouting out his victory to Hollos(? Never heard such a name before and therefore I don't know how to spell it..)
Hollos commiting suicide right after his son told him that he loved him.
Randy makes an ass out of Sharon, chicks don't understand..
The irritating alien when it shot down people on the other side of the world, and so on.
The conferance call, etc.
Mexico building water parks.
Japan building giant robots.

There is no lack of jokes in this episode, but if you don't like an episode, you don't like it. I for one loved this episode, and I think it is the best episode after Fishsticks in season 13.

PS: I actually asked if Norway and other countries could be involved in future episodes, last week. A futile attempt, but it was a very pleasant coincidence that this week's episode actually involved other countries, and Norway as well!

One happy Norwegian lookin' forward to next week's episode! :D
Butters The Savior

Postby Butters The Savior » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:37 pm

To SP team:
Looks like some people are ready to swallow literally everything you are going to feed them with...
Congratulations!
WiLLiaint

Postby WiLLiaint » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Butters The Savior wrote:To SP team:
Looks like some people are ready to swallow literally everything you are going to feed them with...
Congratulations!

... Fishsticks?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you can't
Smagma

Postby Smagma » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:43 pm

Very entertaining episode and the anti-moral storyline was great, with Randy the father-figure telling his son that lying and cheating was the best way to get ahead.. and Stan urging his dad that it was better to be honest.

The lies got bigger and crazier but they seemed to get away with it until the end. So the anti-moral story ended with a lesson. Too bad about Finland though..
Enrico Uomocarro

Postby Enrico Uomocarro » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:57 pm

great episode... I love randy's adventures. He grew up to be a fantastic character, starting from "2 guys masturbating in a hottub" to such wonderful roles in "bloody mary", "2 days before the day after tomorrow" and "the losing edge"... I only hated the earth embargo that seemed a little too much, also with the alien having said "How stupid you are? Space Jail?". Incoerent? Don't know. Great episode though.
RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:10 pm

Norwegian wrote:To all you people saying that this was the worst episode in season 13.

With that said, I can ease my nerves, because that episode was terrible. Though, everyone has a different opinion, and mine is not more correct than yours.

Also, I noticed one guy, a Finnish one(?), that asked about why the Fins doesn't look like trash cans since the Danes do. Well, Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, and you never will be. Finland is a part of the Nordic countries, but not Scandinavia. Perhaps your answer lies there? Or perhaps the Danes are special, like the Canadians? :)

And, did anyone notice that Randy said that someone should tell Norway about the destruction of Finland? Lol. Since they're pretty close to Finland.

I just have to say that I love that South Park makes fun of other countries, especially the Nordic countries! :D
It's great to know that other countries know of the existence of the Nordic countries. Even though the Danes are like the Canadians of Europe, therefore nobody knows or cares about them. Heh.

I really enjoyed this episode, it made me laugh several times. The opening gag with Sharon.
The theft done by the troubled rebel princess Leia.
The lies.
The pinewood derby car breaking the records and gaining warp speed.
Randy shouting out his victory to Hollos(? Never heard such a name before and therefore I don't know how to spell it..)
Hollos commiting suicide right after his son told him that he loved him.
Randy makes an ass out of Sharon, chicks don't understand..
The irritating alien when it shot down people on the other side of the world, and so on.
The conferance call, etc.
Mexico building water parks.
Japan building giant robots.

There is no lack of jokes in this episode, but if you don't like an episode, you don't like it. I for one loved this episode, and I think it is the best episode after Fishsticks in season 13.

PS: I actually asked if Norway and other countries could be involved in future episodes, last week. A futile attempt, but it was a very pleasant coincidence that this week's episode actually involved other countries, and Norway as well!

One happy Norwegian lookin' forward to next week's episode! :D

It wasn't that there was a lack of jokes, it was that the episode was about Randy and the f*cking World Leaders.

What happened to South Park? The show about "Kids being kids" the show that Matt and Trey always said, "Well the way we think of it is you always had your fat, racist friend, there was always the poor kid, the smart Jewish kid, the regular kid. And we'd say 'Well what pissed us off as a kid? Well losing our dog and finding him always pissed us off' and then at that point we'd just make the dog gay."

Watch an old episode and you'll see that the whole episode was the kids in school, at the bus stop, in a house and Kyle and Cartman were always fighting, Stan and Kyle were always talking, etc. but now there's none of the kids. Now every episode are other characters who we don't give a sh*t about like Kanye West or Carlos Mencia or Mickey Mouse or The Jonas Brothers or The Coon or Randy or Aliens or World Leaders or whatever.

If you compare how much the kids have been in season 13 compared to season 1 you'd realize the show isn't even about them anymore.

Anywho, I have Spring Vacation right now so I'll be free all of Wednesday, no detention, no homework, none of that sh*t. So hopefully the next one will be well written, funny, original, AND actually have some characters we know and love.
SajiNoKami

Postby SajiNoKami » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:25 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:South Park, when it doesn't want to appear preachy, is fair in the lead-up to the message being delivered. Give me one example where they used OMG SUBTERFUGE to get a political or social message across.
Besides, three common sense factors work against the DEEPER MEANINGS ALL OVER THE PLACE idea:
1- The show is being worked on right up until the morning it airs and mopst episodes only have six/seven days of work put into the, Episodes like this one where the second half feels a LOT like Crab People don't have deeper meanings because they struggle to even finish the thing.
2- Matt and Trey are not sitting in their office getting involved in serious discussions about government 24/7. Listening to the mini-commentaries, an image emerges of them trying to think of what would be funny or a message they feel strongly about and building a vehicle to deliver it.
3- Matt and Trey's track record with politics and social issues indicates they prefer direct, fair messages.

:zombiekenny:
I am a funyun.
http://sajinokami.com/

formally sage_emerald
SajiNoKami

Postby SajiNoKami » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:43 pm

RideTheLightning wrote:If you compare how much the kids have been in season 13 compared to season 1 you'd realize the show isn't even about them anymore.

This is true,
maybe it is just a season of :
"lets look at the world the boys are in today."

I told my 10, almost 11 year old brother to watch it today, so I can get his take on it. What I have found interesting is he likes the newer ones, because they are witty. He said he tried to watch the first episode of the series and could not get through it. "It was dumb and the animation wasn't good."
Told him he needs to watch it to see where the show came from though... so at some point.

I am just really curious what he'll get out of this one.
http://sajinokami.com/

formally sage_emerald
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:31 am

RideTheLightning wrote:
What happened to South Park? The show about "Kids being kids" the show that Matt and Trey always said, "Well the way we think of it is you always had your fat, racist friend, there was always the poor kid, the smart Jewish kid, the regular kid. And we'd say 'Well what pissed us off as a kid? Well losing our dog and finding him always pissed us off' and then at that point we'd just make the dog gay."

Watch an old episode and you'll see that the whole episode was the kids in school, at the bus stop, in a house and Kyle and Cartman were always fighting, Stan and Kyle were always talking, etc. but now there's none of the kids. Now every episode are other characters who we don't give a sh*t about like Kanye West or Carlos Mencia or Mickey Mouse or The Jonas Brothers or The Coon or Randy or Aliens or World Leaders or whatever.

If you compare how much the kids have been in season 13 compared to season 1 you'd realize the show isn't even about them anymore.

I agree to an extent that the best shows are character-based, which is partly why Season 6 is my favorite, but recent episodes centered on the kids haven't been so funny, IMO. The List, Super Fun Time, Elementary School Musical...those episodes were decent enough, but I still thought Pinewood Derby was funnier than all of them.

Once in a while the show has to escape the confines of its own structures so we don't end up hearing "you fatass! You stupid jew!" every single episode. Sometimes it works well, as in Krazy Kripples, and sometimes it doesn't (A Million Little Fibers) but what's important is that they don't box themselves in creatively.

South Park has always been very heavy on the sci-fi - I mean, the concept of visitors has been the most consistent thing throughout the entire series, so I think its good to forget about the fourth graders for a while.
Whmmm!

Postby Whmmm! » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:31 am

Norwegian wrote:To all you people saying that this was the worst episode in season 13.

I'll admit I only watched "Eat, Pray, Queef" once and it did make me feel physically ill which is why I didn't watch it again but that was kind of the point I think, and I still enjoyed it. I got the jokes and the one about Randy farting and holding Sharons head under the covers had me in stitches. With this episode, I didn't understand what was so funny about it. You can have the strangest plot in the world but if you don't have amazing humor to back it up then you're in trouble.

That said, I think the reason I didn't like this episode much is because it wasn't realistic. OK South Park has never been a super realistic show but there are some episodes where you think that kind of thing could actually happen and those are the ones I enjoy the most. Not much in this episode could actually happen. There's nothing realistic about it, and hardly anything to relate to. It's just strange.
You know Jews are people too! Smaller, more insignificant people.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”