*1311: Whale Whores* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Pegazeus

Re: *1311: Whale Whores* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Pegazeus » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:32 am

He Pegazeus,

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was so disgusted by the beginning and middle that I didn't get the end. We have it recorded, I may watch it again to figure it all out. I never heard of Whale Wars or know anything about the "Turd" dude. That may be throwing me off too.

Yeah it was violent as hell, but it's South Park. I almost guarantee there's all the gratuitous violence because Whales Wars is boring as hell. Who knows, I found this episode amazing.
Lovs 2 Spoon

Postby Lovs 2 Spoon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:43 am

I really got a good laugh at the reason why they kill the whales, couldn't have gotten any more random than that. Matt and Tret are geniuses
wizboy2k

Postby wizboy2k » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:49 am

OMFG! The second I read the title I knew this would be great fun. I f*cking hate those f*cking f@gs on Whale Wars. I have daydreams were the japanese whaling boats ram their pussy boat and sink them somewhere near the Anarctic. To see the entire crew of this boat get killed (fictionally of course :wink: ) was on of the most rewarding feelings Ive had in a while. All my dreams came true and I wasnt arrested by the authorities for my roll in attacking the Sea Shepard. This is the funniest episode I have seen since maybe "With apologies to Jesse Jackson" or some of the other classics from seasons 9 and 10. Even though the Chicken and Cow was easy to guess I couldnt f*cking believe it when the Japanese started Kamikazeeing (doesnt exist I know) the whales under water I nearly crapped my pants. This has to be a top 10 episode in my book. Great job Guys.
prochut

Postby prochut » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:53 am

drtdi1 wrote::parishilton:

My Fiancee and I are MAJOR fans of South Park and have been since day one. We always walk away from each episode laughing and talking about it positively to our friends and other fans. We record the episodes and watch them frequently.

We started watching the episode Whale Whores tonight and could not believe what we were watching. We walked away sickened and disgusted to view this horrendous episode. We are fully aware of the ugly and sad situation when it comes to the Japanese killing dolphins and whales; however we never, in a million years thought the creators of this show would go as far as they did to make a point. Can someone please explain to me the reasoning/message behind this episode.

Signed,
Sickened

Man, relax. South Park is not saying it's okay to kill whales and dolphins. To be honest, the biggest statement in this episode may be that nothing happens on whale wars (which is an actual show, and the way South Park depicted it before Stan took over is pretty much all they do: throw smelly crap on
whaling boats) or that the U.S. has no room to tell other countries what to do as far as human rights go (just hypothesizing, not my own politics or view). Btw, I'll have to do some research and get back to you, but I don't think any dolphins or whales were killed in the making of the episode. It does depend on how much tuna was eaten while they were making the show.
wizboy2k

Postby wizboy2k » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:54 am

tommacco wrote:
Jake, M'kay? wrote:Eh. The first few miniutes or so were sweet. But once the Whale Wars people came in it started going downhill for me.
6/10.

couldn't agree more. seriously... hiroshima? and the suggestion that killing cows and chickens is the same as killing dolphins and whales is ignorant, those farm animals wouldn't exist if they couldn't easily be tamed and reproduce well in captivity, we're talking about the difference between manipulating living things for food and practicing fishing habits that could and are leading to a vast population decline or even extinction. not saying i'm an environmentalist and hate the episode because of this fact--I actually thought the whale on the moon was hilarious, and the whole PITA thing-right on the money.

it's hard to pinpoint what's been going wrong for most of the past few seasons, but here it's clearly a plot that had one or two funny ideas and just ran them into the ground. i'm glad they've been about 50% for above average in 13, but I anticipated much more from this episode.

Well its hard to "farm" and "tame" animals which cover thousands of miles under the vast seas and oceans we have. Der!!! The whole reason I hate the whale wars morons is because of the very reason that we (The West) find killing these specific animals horrific and OK other animals. I dont think its a great thing that the Japanese kill whales but you know what Whale F@gs? f*ck You. Dont be so ignorant. That's ignorant.
drtdi1

Postby drtdi1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:58 am

prochut wrote:
drtdi1 wrote::parishilton:

My Fiancee and I are MAJOR fans of South Park and have been since day one. We always walk away from each episode laughing and talking about it positively to our friends and other fans. We record the episodes and watch them frequently.

We started watching the episode Whale Whores tonight and could not believe what we were watching. We walked away sickened and disgusted to view this horrendous episode. We are fully aware of the ugly and sad situation when it comes to the Japanese killing dolphins and whales; however we never, in a million years thought the creators of this show would go as far as they did to make a point. Can someone please explain to me the reasoning/message behind this episode.

Signed,
Sickened

Man, relax. South Park is not saying it's okay to kill whales and dolphins. To be honest, the biggest statement in this episode may be that nothing happens on whale wars (which is an actual show, and the way South Park depicted it before Stan took over is pretty much all they do: throw smelly crap on
whaling boats) or that the U.S. has no room to tell other countries what to do as far as human rights go (just hypothesizing, not my own politics or view). Btw, I'll have to do some research and get back to you, but I don't think any dolphins or whales were killed in the making of the episode. It does depend on how much tuna was eaten while they were making the show.

Hey Prochut,

Please read my other post which will explain why I felt the way I did. And BTW - I am woman, not a man. Your sarcasm wasn't amusing either. Grow up!
Last edited by drtdi1 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus_Yamato

Postby Jesus_Yamato » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:59 am

Are anti-whalers and Sea Shepherds butt hurt now that the show was not about condemning Japanese whaling but ultimately about the hypocrisy of the west when it comes to deciding what animals should be slaughtered for meat?

I must however say that the methods the Japanese whalers use to kill marine mammals are much more crude than how msot commercial slaughter houses kill their meat. I thought it would've been industry standard worldwide to stun animals before their major arteries are severed for the kill. Use of exploding harpoon grenades and spearing cornered prey are painfully slow process for the animals to die. I sincerely hope the whaling industry would adopt similar measures used in livestock culling.

Having said that, the outcome of the episode was expected. Having watched South Park since '97, I know Matt & Trey don't take sides for any issues (albeit NAMBLA). Good show!
Last edited by Jesus_Yamato on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
drtdi1

Postby drtdi1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:02 am

Pegazeus wrote:
He Pegazeus,

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was so disgusted by the beginning and middle that I didn't get the end. We have it recorded, I may watch it again to figure it all out. I never heard of Whale Wars or know anything about the "Turd" dude. That may be throwing me off too.

Yeah it was violent as hell, but it's South Park. I almost guarantee there's all the gratuitous violence because Whales Wars is boring as hell. Who knows, I found this episode amazing.

Hey Pegazues,

I should have researched this show, Whale Wars. I have never heard of it before because I don't watch Animal Planet so needless to say, I was so lost during this episode. I then Googled this show, read the explanations of each show that aired and the character explanations. The light bulb went off and I got the episode and the meaning behind it.

Thanks for the explanation and your kindness. Do appreciate it.

drtdi1
wizboy2k

Postby wizboy2k » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:08 am

I thought when they called "Ghost Hunters" the "gayest" show on TV and while never seeing the show I could only imagine how stupid it looked from the commercials during mythbusters. But the "gayest" TV show in my book is Whale Wars and it was great to see the captain and the homo with the goatee and f*cked up teeth get killed by the Japanese. Only in a perfect world would this happen.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:11 am

Good thing they were cartoon deaths, 'cause real ones would have been illegal. :cartmanlaugh:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
ssouthparkk4602

Postby ssouthparkk4602 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:14 am

So no one else noticed that Stan is 10 now?
"If the President has a BLT tomorrow, the Republicans will try to ban bacon."
-Alan Grayson

"Tolerance of intolerance is just as good as intolerance."
-TheAmazingAtheist

Formerly: gtaca2005 Member since: Thu Jan 06, 2005
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:18 am

People have been noticing, yes. If they stick with the age, then the class will be moving to 5th grade soon.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
SirKerrek

Postby SirKerrek » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:21 am

Sooo... this episode was crazy as sh*t. It was the violent, swear-filled, insult-fest that we've come to expect from the good ole boys at South Park Studios.

As a matter of fact, blow-for-blow, this may have been the funniest episode yet. For some people, maybe. I really think this episode is going to be all over the charts for people. Some people will swear by it, some will hate it, and some are really just gonna say "meh."

As for me, I was really on the fence. I felt like the whole illustration of the fat "turd" old-captain as a douche was a bit overplayed. I know, I know!! Beating the dead horse is a classic South Park standby, but for anyone unaware of that whole ordeal, they'd be left in the dark (even if they spell out the entire backstory for you).

The first five minutes were brilliant, the ending was brilliant, and Cartman singing Lady Gaga was brilliant. The rest was largely bizarre, and a little based on the audience's prior knowledge.

I also feel like this episode was similar to the mid-season premiere in that it packed aLOT of stuff in one episode, which leaves me feeling walloped, but impressed.

Overall, the episode was good. Maybe even very good, but not great. 8/10 and this post is way too long.
Favorite Episode: Good Times with Weapons
bpiehler

Slipping?

Postby bpiehler » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:25 am

Been watching you guys since season 1. Been a long time, this season has me thinking matt and trey are slipping a little bit. I felt humor was lost during this episode at the expense of some preachy message. That being said cartman's poker face was easily the best part of the episode and genuinely very funny.
ssouthparkk4602

Re: Slipping?

Postby ssouthparkk4602 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:29 am

bpiehler wrote:Been watching you guys since season 1. Been a long time, this season has me thinking matt and trey are slipping a little bit. I felt humor was lost during this episode at the expense of some preachy message. That being said cartman's poker face was easily the best part of the episode and genuinely very funny.

We get one of you every season.
"If the President has a BLT tomorrow, the Republicans will try to ban bacon."
-Alan Grayson

"Tolerance of intolerance is just as good as intolerance."
-TheAmazingAtheist

Formerly: gtaca2005 Member since: Thu Jan 06, 2005

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”