*1311: Whale Whores* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

bpiehler

Re: Slipping?

Postby bpiehler » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:35 am

ssouthparkk4602 wrote:
bpiehler wrote:Been watching you guys since season 1. Been a long time, this season has me thinking matt and trey are slipping a little bit. I felt humor was lost during this episode at the expense of some preachy message. That being said cartman's poker face was easily the best part of the episode and genuinely very funny.

We get one of you every season.

Yep.... imagine that.,, Just a bleh episode asides from poker face. World goes round, sure the next one will be good.
Biolum8052

Re: *1311: Whale Whores* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Biolum8052 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:36 am

One of the worst episodes yet, if not the worst. I hate to sound like a whiner but it's just how I feel. The funniest part I already saw in the preview when stan's dad wanted to kiss the dolphin. All south park episodes after season 9 sucked. there are only 5-6 epsidoes which are the exception. Ok so whale wars was a stan episode that's fine but why does stan always have to appear smug and like a know it all in every episode. The south park team really need to regroup and start churning out episodes like in season 7-9 and stop putting out crap. BTW cartman singing poker face wasn't funny. It seems that south park episodes are being written months prior and not everyone can understand what's going on, liek witht he chipotle causing bleeding, that news was 6 months old before deadcelebrities came out. And now whale wars was an episode based on tv shows that were popular months ago.
Adoros1218

Postby Adoros1218 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:41 am

I'm not questioning the genius of Trey Park and Matt Stone. I think they're amazing and have a tough job to do and can't catch every little error. I just found it funny that the Japanese, when trying to kill all whales and dolphins, killed the Miami Dolphins and now that they are attacking the chickens and cows, are the japanese going to be attacking the South Park cows? There may just be a sequel on the way. Understand this isn't a critique, I just wanted to see if anyone else caught that. Great episode overall!
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:51 am

Another awesome episode i want poker face as my ring tone that version cartman was singing was cool.A good stan episode with cartman & kenny,loved cartmans role some of his lines had me lol "lets go and save some whales" & the best one "I was talking about wales the country"
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:54 am

I must give two ratings for this episode.
1st: Real Rating. 9/10

The first 3/4 was absolutely fantastic. 10/10, top ten episode material. The last quarter dropped it down as I especially disliked what I consider to be a hammed ending. But still, it was a fantastic episode. I was worried that there would be times when it slipped into pure drama, but it didn't except for a small bit near the end.

Now for the Stan fan rating: 100000000000/10

f*cking AWESOME. I knew he was capable, I knew it. Just so awesome, you don't f*ck with him on his birthday and f*ck around with his love for animals and you get f*cked. I made a topic about this after "Mystery of the Urinal Deuce" where I said that Stan was THE most dangerous kid in town if pushed.
I was right. He now has an epic, epic body count. I was right. Everyone else was wrong. Suck on that. More importantly, bow down to our REAL PIRATE LORD, Stan Marsh, not that pussy Cartman.

I am in a state of perpetual Stangasm. Also, until the boys move to the 5th grade, I will say this is his 9th birthday. Then if they mve up, I will retcon and say 10. This will mean he is the youngest (IMHO) unless they move up, then the retcon will actually return him to oldest.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
danieltien

Postby danieltien » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:57 am

I'd pay to have the Cartman cover of the Lady Gaga song. I know they did Butters' "What What in the Butt" as a separate thing before...
ssouthparkk4602

Postby ssouthparkk4602 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:00 am

Oh f*ck... Lady GaGa sings it???

Dammit, that kills it for me. She is annoying. She's for gay rights, NICE! But she was so annoying with that f*cking yell to Obama... :roll:

"ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!"

Dramatic bitch.
"If the President has a BLT tomorrow, the Republicans will try to ban bacon."
-Alan Grayson

"Tolerance of intolerance is just as good as intolerance."
-TheAmazingAtheist

Formerly: gtaca2005 Member since: Thu Jan 06, 2005
saberkitten

Postby saberkitten » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:03 am

Cartman singing Pokerface is my ringtone for the next week. Awesome.

I'm kind of a Whale Wars fan and I still loved this episode. And no, not a lot of Whale Wars fans are butthurt from what I've seen. "I bet they'll be hard on both sides," is what most said before it aired, and afterward just as many said "I figured they'd bash both sides--it's South Park." But there are some being pussies about it.

I don't understand why people think livestock and whale/dolphin slaughter are the same, though, except that they're both killed for eatin'. Watch a whale being harpooned, reeled in for 5 - 30 minutes and then shot in the back of the head half a dozen times, or a dolphin being speared and hacked to death, and then try to imagine a cow, deer, elephant, dog or whatever being killed like that. Livestock is rendered unconscious before being killed. You can't do that with cetaceans.

Anyway, best episode this season, in my opinion.
iloveyouguys

Postby iloveyouguys » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:08 am

Stan is so goddamn fucking epic. I admit i am a bit of a fangirl when it comes to South Park boys, and Stan's montage with Cartman singing poker face was amazing! Classic episode.
This is my signature. I made it small so anyone who tries to read it has to copy and paste the text somewhere else only to find that it isn't interesting at all. Congratulations. Also, fuckshitcockassbitchtitspenisfagskankwhorecuntpoop.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:15 am

saberkitten wrote:Cartman singing Pokerface is my ringtone for the next week. Awesome.

I'm kind of a Whale Wars fan and I still loved this episode. And no, not a lot of Whale Wars fans are butthurt from what I've seen. "I bet they'll be hard on both sides," is what most said before it aired, and afterward just as many said "I figured they'd bash both sides--it's South Park." But there are some being pussies about it.

I don't understand why people think livestock and whale/dolphin slaughter are the same, though, except that they're both killed for eatin'. Watch a whale being harpooned, reeled in for 5 - 30 minutes and then shot in the back of the head half a dozen times, or a dolphin being speared and hacked to death, and then try to imagine a cow, deer, elephant, dog or whatever being killed like that. Livestock is rendered unconscious before being killed. You can't do that with cetaceans.

I think people have misunderstood the point of the ending. It is not supposed to be a direct comparison where they wink and say that we're super cruel to our factory animals and we're really just as bad.
It is a call back to an earlier line and, most importantly, just a general mocking of how we perceive other cultures. You could have replaced whaling with anything else that another culture does that we consider weird and the second they stop that and do something we like, we'd consider them normal like us. It is just a general joke at how Americans perceive culture.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Jesus_Yamato

Postby Jesus_Yamato » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:34 am

ShaneHaughey wrote:
saberkitten wrote:Cartman singing Pokerface is my ringtone for the next week. Awesome.

I think people have misunderstood the point of the ending. It is not supposed to be a direct comparison where they wink and say that we're super cruel to our factory animals and we're really just as bad.
It is a call back to an earlier line and, most importantly, just a general mocking of how we perceive other cultures. You could have replaced whaling with anything else that another culture does that we consider weird and the second they stop that and do something we like, we'd consider them normal like us. It is just a general joke at how Americans perceive culture.

Yep, so whaling would not be such a big issue if it wasn't for America's cultural misunderstanding.
But the show didn't explore the complicated issues of how some whales are endangered and their extinction could pose a great threat to the eco system, and of course the method of killing ain't nice.
ssouthparkk4602

Postby ssouthparkk4602 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:41 am

The main difference I see is that they are endangered.

If they were, you know, f*cking and spawning like rabbits, then this would be a non-issue. Except for PETA.

(One goes far, you wouldn't need to kill them like you do cows and chickens. Especially because only a small percentage of the world eats whale. So if there were a way to domesticate whales......... :lol:)
"If the President has a BLT tomorrow, the Republicans will try to ban bacon."
-Alan Grayson

"Tolerance of intolerance is just as good as intolerance."
-TheAmazingAtheist

Formerly: gtaca2005 Member since: Thu Jan 06, 2005
Aleicia

Postby Aleicia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:46 am

It was OK. I've never watched Whale Wars before so it probably wasn't as funny for me because of that. I thought the Australian accent was a bit dodgy but hey, what can you do. I'm pretty sure some Australians thicken their accents when they're on TV shows outside of Australia anyway. The beginning of the episode was so cute (Stan-wise) and funny but it started to weaken once Whale Wars was introduced. And to end I'll just add that Cartman most definitely made an improvement on Poker Face! The full song should be put up so we can all listen to it. Cartman singing is epic.

I still wish SP was the way it used to be (more crude, more of the 'kids being kids' episodes rather than parodying events or popular shows) but this was still fun to watch. First ten minutes were gold.
Aleicia

Postby Aleicia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:06 am

danieltien wrote:I'd pay to have the Cartman cover of the Lady Gaga song. I know they did Butters' "What What in the Butt" as a separate thing before...

Dude I'd pay for that too. Cartman singing pop music is gold.
erzhik

Postby erzhik » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:10 am

Seriously, I would too pay Matt & Trey and the rest of the crew just to get that full version of Cartman singing "poker face". That singing was just epic.

Please SP crew, give us the song.

We got Butters song and K.West, but this "Poker Face" would be absolutely epic.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”