*1312: The F Word* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

VDub285

Re: *1312: The F Word* Post-Air Discussion

Postby VDub285 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:49 am

This episode was one of my top 3 favs. I laughed the entire time. They had the bikers acting like badasses spot on. Not saying all bikers are like that but most are. Great episode
Awed

Postby Awed » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:50 am

Nice try, but the power of the word "f4g," currently, is that it implies that a person is homosexual. This is considered negative by the person using the word and/or the target. In this case, the person using the word does not consider homosexuality negative, but the insult comes from the fact that the target considers it negative.

If you take away the hatred of homosexuality or homosexuals the word is meaningless. Are you calling someone a bundle of sticks, a cigarette, or an old woman?

No, you are insulting the bikers by calling them homosexual or effeminate.

I have to add that the word has evolved from an insult directed toward homosexuals (somehow) to an insult in general. But I think the tone of the insult in general is derived from negative feelings about homosexuals (although to be honest there are some tones that I can't quite see relating to homosexuality, like "loser" although it may be that homosexuals have that stigma in some way).
Last edited by Awed on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
warchild1488

Postby warchild1488 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:54 am

somerandomguy wrote:
jwin1 wrote:The worst episode ever. The episode wasn't even funny.

I truly believe in free speech, relish this American freedom, and believe South Park has every right to be offensive or say anything whenever desired. However, a few references here and there to "that's gay" or other such hate-speech (week after week and year after year) is a FAR cry from an entire episode devoted to the word "homosexual".

South Park would be off the air in seconds if there had been an entire episode using 'n*gger' or 'spic' or 'kike', but you feel it's OK to hit the airwaves with 'homosexual'. It's more than offensive, it's disgusting. Trying to excuse homophobia by claiming there are variations of word usage/meaning is unacceptable.

I've been a big fan since the show's inception but I am angry and unwilling to be tolerant of blatant on-air hate speech. I think South Park's creators, writers, and producers owe the GLBT community a huge apology.

I'm so confused... On one hand this is the first episode I can say I truly didn't laugh while watching.. once.. but on the other hand I feel like I need to defend it from retards like the poster I quoted above. How someone with any semblance of a working brain cell could watch the entire episode (or even just parts of it) and come away with the idea that they were being in ANY way homophobic, truly astounds me. Good lord man, they even had homosexuals in the episode taking offense until they understood what was going on. How did you not relate to that??? And don't for a second say that an episode dedicated to "ni**ers" is an ANY way the same as "f*gs". Like they pointed out in the episode, "f*gs" has been used to label people for HUNDREDS of years (and for what it counts, the majority of the time it hasn't had anything to do with homosexuals. Relatively speaking, that's a new term). No one gets cut off by a random guy and says: "ni**er" or "k*ke" or any of the other examples you listed, "f*g" on the other hand IS used, so don't pretend like it's the same thing. The funniest part is that homosexuals and a small handful of ignoramuses are the only ones making sure homosexuals and "f*g" are still related with each other. If they would just stop going out of their way to take offense every time someone says "f*g", it would only be a few years before people started to forgetting that's what it used to mean. If you hate the word so much, STOP CLAIMING IT!! People are asking for it to mean something else and you're complaining about that??? I'm actually starting to think you LIKE that it's still your word and you'd miss it if it was gone... Hypocrite.

you

"No one gets cut off by a random guy and says: "ni**er" or "k*ke" or any of the other examples you listed"

Actually i always make sure to use the appropriate racial slur in any situation.
raychan

Postby raychan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:02 am

Really nice episode. Keep it up :D
Hilarious, when butters said bike curious lol
Last edited by raychan on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:05 am

eroninja wrote:edit: lol wtf, the "f" word gets filtered to homosexual.

Yeah it's been that way for six years, and it was put in place by the former admin, breayle, when phag still had some strong connection to the homosexual community. It's in place more because a lot of children do post here, and we don't want to encourage potty mouths, heh.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
GregW

Postby GregW » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:08 am

Bike-curious was funny. :lol:
But the episode wasn't that great IMO.

Just testing: Faɡɡot, faɡ, homosexual, fag, heh.
At least we have аssholes, you dumb girl!
iloveyouguys

Postby iloveyouguys » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:15 am

fag ^^

woah! how did i do that? ;)
This is my signature. I made it small so anyone who tries to read it has to copy and paste the text somewhere else only to find that it isn't interesting at all. Congratulations. Also, fuckshitcockassbitchtitspenisfagskankwhorecuntpoop.
Starlene

Postby Starlene » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:20 am

This was a really stupid episode. Maybe the worst we've ever seen. SP don't get all "oh c'mon get over it" with the N-word tho do they? "Ooo we're hardasses we're not afraid of bikers or fags." Go ahead and change the meaning of the N-word now, guys. Those African-Americans are just too sensitive. :roll:
Last edited by Starlene on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:21 am

Heh, I ruined his post just by hitting the edit button, looking at it, and hitting submit. I didn't change a thing, but part of it was changed.

Starlene wrote:This was a really stupid episode. Maybe the worst we've ever seen. SP don't get all "oh c'mon get over it" with the N-word tho do they? "Ooo we're hardasses we're not afraid of bikers." Go ahead and change the meaning of the N-word now, guys. Those African-Americans are just too sensitive. :roll:

I don't think that's possible, since "n*gger" is based on the Latin word for "black" (niger, nigra) and has similar spellings and meanings in the Romance langauges (negro, noir, nigro), but fag has meant a lot of things over the years, and it's not a word you'd find in other languages.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
iloveyouguys

Postby iloveyouguys » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:25 am

GregW wrote:Bike-curious was funny. :lol:
But the episode wasn't that great IMO.

Just testing: Faɡɡot, faɡ, homosexual, homosexual, heh.

how come this dude didn't get filtered?

fag fag fag fag fag fag fag fag
This is my signature. I made it small so anyone who tries to read it has to copy and paste the text somewhere else only to find that it isn't interesting at all. Congratulations. Also, fuckshitcockassbitchtitspenisfagskankwhorecuntpoop.
Maaul

Postby Maaul » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:30 am

SSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Cracked me up.

I wonder how long it will take for someone to call a biker "fag" and they get the crap kicked out of them?
Last edited by Maaul on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starlene

Postby Starlene » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:31 am

Awed wrote:Nice try, but the power of the word "f4g," currently, is that it implies that a person is homosexual. This is considered negative by the person using the word and/or the target. In this case, the person using the word does not consider homosexuality negative, but the insult comes from the fact that the target considers it negative.

If you take away the hatred of homosexuality or homosexuals the word is meaningless. Are you calling someone a bundle of sticks, a cigarette, or an old woman?

No, you are insulting the bikers by calling them homosexual or effeminate.

I have to add that the word has evolved from an insult directed toward homosexuals (somehow) to an insult in general. But I think the tone of the insult in general is derived from negative feelings about homosexuals

You nailed it, Awed.
GregW

Postby GregW » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:39 am

Big-Will wrote:Heh, I ruined his post just by hitting the edit button, looking at it, and hitting submit. I didn't change a thing, but part of it was changed.

Which post did you ruin?
iloveyouguys

Postby iloveyouguys » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:41 am

GregW wrote:
Big-Will wrote:Heh, I ruined his post just by hitting the edit button, looking at it, and hitting submit. I didn't change a thing, but part of it was changed.

Which post did you ruin?

this one:
GregW wrote:Just testing: Faɡɡot, faɡ, homosexual, homosexual, heh.

:chaos:
GregW

Postby GregW » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:43 am

iloveyouguys wrote:
GregW wrote:

Which post did you ruin?

this one:
GregW wrote:Just testing: Faɡɡot, faɡ, homosexual, homosexual, heh.

:chaos:

Actually, I was editing my post while he obviously was too, I added the two extra faɡ words (or homosexual as they've been filtered), him editing done nothing.

Also, there is no need to use BB code to get passed the filter.

Just to stay on topic, I'll rate the ep 6/10. 8)

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”