*1313: Dances with Smurfs* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Biscuits

Re: *1313: Dances with Smurfs* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Biscuits » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:30 pm

This episode was pretty funny. I couldn't care less about the references to talkshow hosts or media headlines or whatever it was supposed to be making fun of, but I still laughed.

Thought I was sort of hoping they'd have someone (like Wendy) call in to Cartman's morning announcements show, then have him go crazy and scream "GET OFF MY PHONE!!!"
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:33 pm

I don't get how Cartman was supposed to have made the video of himself and the Smurfs. I realize the whole thing was satire and the viewer has to suspend their beliefs to get the humor, but they stretched reality too far. The kid being killed in the beginning, the 500-page hardcover books materializing out of thin air, the classrooms all getting video screens because Cartman wanted them, and the ACLU forcing the school to let Cartman say whatever he wanted was all too over-the-top for the weak satire it was intended to create.

But the episode did make one important point - political commentators are not worth listening to, and other people's ideas are not worth arguing about. It's all just a bunch of meaningless prattle.
Scotland

Postby Scotland » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:35 pm

I still can't find the last 8 minutes of the episode at all and its driving me nuts.

Also, does it feel that Stan and Wendy's relationship is growing to be quite jaggy? Its the 2nd time this half season that Wendy had yelled at him.
Yeah! So I did! I wanna just smiling!
GregW

Postby GregW » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:41 pm

Scotland wrote:I still can't find the last 8 minutes of the episode at all and its driving me nuts.

PM me if you still can't find it. :)
At least we have аssholes, you dumb girl!
Scotland

Postby Scotland » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 pm

I remember someone telling me this site that was brilliant for the episodes sometime around the 1308 episode.

I'm horrible for searching up episodes.

Also, i am having problems getting my control panel up since I switched over to the UK site. It doesn't appear at the corner anymore.
GregW

Postby GregW » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Biscuits

Postby Biscuits » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:I don't get how Cartman was supposed to have made the video of himself and the Smurfs. I realize the whole thing was satire and the viewer has to suspend their beliefs to get the humor, but they stretched reality too far. The kid being killed in the beginning, the 500-page hardcover books materializing out of thin air, the classrooms all getting video screens because Cartman wanted them, and the ACLU forcing the school to let Cartman say whatever he wanted was all too over-the-top for the weak satire it was intended to create.

But the episode did make one important point - political commentators are not worth listening to, and other people's ideas are not worth arguing about. It's all just a bunch of meaningless prattle.

I was thinking the same thing. Since when does a 9 year old have the technology and money to produce a real animated full length smurfs movie? It would have made better sense if it was all crappy with like, cardboard cutout smurfs dancing around on strings in a home video.
peetrick!

Postby peetrick! » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:I don't get how Cartman was supposed to have made the video of himself and the Smurfs. I realize the whole thing was satire and the viewer has to suspend their beliefs to get the humor, but they stretched reality too far. The kid being killed in the beginning, the 500-page hardcover books materializing out of thin air, the classrooms all getting video screens because Cartman wanted them, and the ACLU forcing the school to let Cartman say whatever he wanted was all too over-the-top for the weak satire it was intended to create.

political commentaries are worth lisening to because political desisions afect the whole world garbage ass pop culture that isnt desiding how we are going to live doesnt need to be there it isnt going to afect us if some rapper gets dumped or opera is getting married but if oboma gets through his trillion dollar heath care plan and are resesion turns into a depresions getting thousands more people fired or when the oboma put hate crime legistlation in a bill to help the troops i mean lets say i kill someone who was white straight cathiolic like me i hated him it sould be a hate crime because i hated him that bill says if he was gay black and muslim i sould be punished more which makes no sense it says he a life wasnt worth enough if he wasnt those
Scotland

Postby Scotland » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:57 pm

GregW wrote:Another fault in the UK site. :o

http://www.southparkstudios.co.uk/fans/forum/ucp.php

added to my favourites.
GregW

Postby GregW » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Scotland wrote:
GregW wrote:Another fault in the UK site. :o

http://www.southparkstudios.co.uk/fans/forum/ucp.php

added to my favourites.

I've left you a PM.
Throbert McGee

Postby Throbert McGee » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:31 pm

But aside from the questionable opening, I enjoyed the episode and hugely appreciated the spot-on impression of Glenn Beck's incredibly annoying mannerisms. (I don't totally hate Beck, and in fact I've defended him on infrequent occasions, but his claim to be a "critical thinker" while rampantly promoting conspiracy-theory bullsh*t makes him, overall, an enemy of intelligent political discussion.)

It also occurred to me that even though Beck was the primary target, you can see the episode as satirizing left-wing media figures who sometimes went after Sarah Palin in grossly misogynist ways, just as Cartman did to Wendy. (I'm not sure they were in any way ENDORSING Palin, mind you -- but I think they were attacking the disgusting, obsessive extremes to which people like Andrew Sullivan went in tearing down Palin.)
I don't mind if people call me a pervert...
...but I'd sooner die than be mistaken for a Democrat!

(-- conservative author Florence King, explaining why she doesn't identify as a "lesbian" even though she enjoys sex with other women)
eth0mane

Postby eth0mane » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:36 pm

Who cares about politics it was another awesome episode. Everyone who says otherwise are giant douches or hippies so stfu
or go watch something else you f**king hippies. get the sand out of your vaginas.
Throbert McGee

Postby Throbert McGee » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Biscuits wrote:I was thinking the same thing. Since when does a 9 year old have the technology and money to produce a real animated full length smurfs movie?

Sheesh, people, this is totally simple to explain:

CARTMAN: Hey, Mom, I need you to rent me a team of professional computer animators from Pixar to help me make a totally awesome CGI Smurf video for my morning announcements.

Mrs. CARTMAN: My goodness, that sounds incredibly expensive, poopykins!

CARTMAN: But maaaaa-uuuuummmm!!

Mrs. CARTMAN: Whatever you say, my darling precious angel...
I don't mind if people call me a pervert...
...but I'd sooner die than be mistaken for a Democrat!

(-- conservative author Florence King, explaining why she doesn't identify as a "lesbian" even though she enjoys sex with other women)
squishymcman

Postby squishymcman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:45 pm

I have to say, and I made an account just to say this, but I have never laughed as much watching South Park than at the Avatar thing at the end of this episode. I've heard Avatar compared to both Fern Gully and that Dialgo movie or whatever, but never smurfs. f*cking hilarious, caught me completely off-guard, can't wait to watch all of America sit and watch smurf murder in 3D.
prochut

Postby prochut » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:54 pm

Honestly, Matt, Trey, and the rest of the South Park crew just seem to be against any sort of extremism. I think they feel that anyone who is so outspoken for a particular cause that they demand your attention for it is completely full of crap. After that, they really just want to make you laugh and if that hurts some people, then they are probably taking it too seriously and therefore, deserve to be ripped on.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”