*1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

webchameleon
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:32 am

It's not just that--and WTF happened to my avatar?

Postby webchameleon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:36 am

--(it nearly has, BTW)
--childish (alienates older viewers who otherwise like the show)
--gross for the sake of disgust
--cruel for the sake of cruel

(for that last point I refer to "The Tale of Scrottie McMoogerballs", where Sarah Jessica Parker was mercilessly attacked for being ugly.

Just "ugly".

Like any schoolyard lynch mob.

So ugly, in fact, that her character had to be reminded of it several times during the show and was accidentally killed for it in the end.

Everyone knows she's ugly--people wonder at it all the time!--but I doubt that anyone's ever been so cruel to her.

It didn't help that she is likely of the opposite political persuasion of T&M, either. Like the celebrities Family Guy goes after, T&M found someone they disagreed with, and aimed low. I think of the 'McCain-Palin-ticket-supported-by-Nazis' episode of Family Guy and wonder which is really worse. )
joeburgundy
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:23 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby joeburgundy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 am

I joined this forum just to comment on this episode. I feel like this was the long overdue classic south park episode that caused many of us fell in love with in the first place. By taking cliches from Hollywood, mixing in a ridiculous story line involving current events, and of course involving stan's dad, you are left with south park at it's best. I have always been a avid south park fan but have felt it has gotten away from itself, at least gotten away from the new format that has worked so well the last six years, and with this episode i am reminded of why the Tom Cruise and 9/11 episodes were so funny at the time, not solely because it touched on current events but because the style incorporated so many different elements and storylines that all seemed to work so well together that it ended up being inevitably hilarious. I know that MnT work under a tight timeline but i hope for a little more thought in the new episodes because the overuse of one joke, or "beating a dead horse" has become disappointedly expected in recent years.
webchameleon
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:32 am

That last part made sense...

Postby webchameleon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:58 am

I won't argue with your conclusion, but how is an episode based on the legalization/criminalization of marijuana refreshing, "classic South Park"? Not only has it been done to death, and have they reached the same conclusion as every-other-commentator, but it's a subject that only came into the headlines less than a week ago because legislators were debating how to pay for...

A HEALTHCARE BILL THAT JUST MADE IT A CRIME NOT TO BUY SERVICES FROM A PRIVATE COMPANY.

You see, for all their posturing, M&T are just like any other creative team. They don't want to rock their own boat.
Last edited by webchameleon on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRMBug
Posts: 18534
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby BRMBug » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:01 am

By the by, I hate to bust everyone's balls, but...
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18830
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:06 am

But that's Santa sack of gifts, not his nut sack. :lol:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
webchameleon
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:32 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby webchameleon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:07 am

I guess the paradigm has shifted.
BRMBug
Posts: 18534
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby BRMBug » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:30 am

Big-Will wrote:But that's Santa sack of gifts, not his nut sack. :lol:

Are you suuuurrree? :mrgreen:
TakeYaOrdahPwease
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:16 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby TakeYaOrdahPwease » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:39 am

This episode was 10/10 and that's just for including Barbrady, Ned and Uncle Jimbo. The marijuana, testicular cancer, Pope jokes, and Scarface references were all just gravy on top of it.
jesussdad
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Re: That last part made sense...

Postby jesussdad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:08 pm

webchameleon wrote:I won't argue with your conclusion, but how is an episode based on the legalization/criminalization of marijuana refreshing, "classic South Park"? Not only has it been done to death, and have they reached the same conclusion as every-other-commentator, but it's a subject that only came into the headlines less than a week ago because legislators were debating how to pay for...

A HEALTHCARE BILL THAT JUST MADE IT A CRIME NOT TO BUY SERVICES FROM A PRIVATE COMPANY.

You see, for all their posturing, M&T are just like any other creative team. They don't want to rock their own boat.

relax guy. im sure they will cover healthcare in due time.
Longtimefan
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:38 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Longtimefan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Alright, well i just watched it again. I'll admit, after seeing it a second time; it's worse. I'll tell you what it feels like: It feels like the prequels of Star Wars. There are a couple of good parts, but all together it feels like it's trying to be Star Wars. This felt like it was trying to be South Park, but wasn't. Maybe it's because everyone in the episode except Cartman and Barbrady were transformed into completely different people, or the jokes were just stale and un-imaginative. But if you just changed the faces or the look of that episode, people would've thought this was a brand new show i think.

I should also add that having a time in my life when I did smoke pot, I think that a lot of these arguments over weed and anything glorifying it are pretty stupid considering you get a better feeling from getting a little drunk. When I smoked weed usually one of two things would happen: I would feel normal but wonder if I was really high, not really getting anything at all; or, I would be way TOO high and shut down. Also the only reason I tried weed was because of shows like this that glorify it into this magical thing that everybody needs and makes everything better; which in my experience it definitely is not.

It's not just the weed that made me dislike it though, I mean Half-Baked was a hysterical movie, also the less known Smiley Face with Anna Faris, very funny. I just think they ran out of ideas after they decided to make KFC illegal and it was Tuesday night and they just said "Oh well, let's just copy 10 scenes from Scarface and have Randy and his friends bounce on their own balls and that will be the whole show." Couple of funny lines, but definitely not "Classic South Park." This is the most un-south park episode I think they've ever done, and what scares me is that the majority think this is BETTER than gems like Margaritaville, Fishsticks, and Dead Celebrities. I think that age poll is true, South Park's audience is primarily middle schoolers. :?
Throbert McGee
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:56 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Throbert McGee » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 pm

For anyone wondering about the music during the balls-bouncing scenes:

As Big-Will discovered, the version we hear in the episode is a Moog-synthesizer arrangement called "Chicken on the Rocks" by some dude named Jean Jacques Perrey.

However, after some more searching on Google and YouTube, I've confirmed that the tune was originally a 1910 ragtime piece called "The Chicken Reel." You can find a ton of different versions on YouTube, but here it is being played on a piano in a very faithful rag style.

Now that I think about it, this same melody was also used more than a few times by Carl Stalling, the guy who directed the music for the classic WB cartoons in the '30s and '40s. (I seem to recall that Stalling used a slower-tempo version of the melody as a musical cue for characters who were dumb hicks and/or walking drunkenly.)
I don't mind if people call me a pervert...
...but I'd sooner die than be mistaken for a Democrat!

(-- conservative author Florence King, explaining why she doesn't identify as a "lesbian" even though she enjoys sex with other women)
furrybananas
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby furrybananas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:08 pm

I would like to point out the whole huge testical thing is ripped off from a British comic strip from the 80's:

http://chalkhills.org/cgi-bin/img?image ... sOfFun.jpg

If they had at least mentioned the words "Buster Gonad" in some form it wouldn't look so plagarised.
TakeYaOrdahPwease
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:16 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby TakeYaOrdahPwease » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:32 pm

furrybananas wrote:I would like to point out the whole huge testical thing is ripped off from a British comic strip from the 80's:

http://chalkhills.org/cgi-bin/img?image ... sOfFun.jpg

If they had at least mentioned the words "Buster Gonad" in some form it wouldn't look so plagarised.


Your argument would makes sense if it didn't come from real life. Elephantiasis (lymphatic filariasis) is a huge problem in the 3rd world. There have been numerous cases where the testicles become so big that a man requires a wheelbarrow to get around. See this Time magazine article from 1962 :

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 45,00.html

There are many other examples if you take time to look it up.
ShaneHaughey
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:36 pm

Re: That last part made sense...

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:24 pm

webchameleon wrote:I won't argue with your conclusion, but how is an episode based on the legalization/criminalization of marijuana refreshing, "classic South Park"? Not only has it been done to death, and have they reached the same conclusion as every-other-commentator, but it's a subject that only came into the headlines less than a week ago because legislators were debating how to pay for...

A HEALTHCARE BILL THAT JUST MADE IT A CRIME NOT TO BUY SERVICES FROM A PRIVATE COMPANY.

You see, for all their posturing, M&T are just like any other creative team. They don't want to rock their own boat.


It came into focus when in Southern California, a widely reported story had a KFC being replaced...by a medical marijuana dispensary.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
SPF4L#1
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 6:58 pm

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby SPF4L#1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:11 pm

spacecadetyes wrote:I also kind of don't like what's happened to Randy. It seems like his personality changes based on whenever an episode needs someone to act crazy or stupid.


I would agree, to an extent. I mean, this is the same guy who went through all the trouble of Motivation Corp to keep Stan off drugs, yet now he's desperate for a hit of weed. I suppose character consistency isn't really that much of an issue in a show like South Park, but still, I think Gerald would have been better suited to this role.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests