*1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

webchameleon
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:32 am

Re: About SJP

Postby webchameleon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:24 am

Pwill8 wrote:
webchameleon wrote:--(it nearly has, BTW)
--childish (alienates older viewers who otherwise like the show)
--gross for the sake of disgust
--cruel for the sake of cruel

(for that last point I refer to "The Tale of Scrottie McMoogerballs", where Sarah Jessica Parker was mercilessly attacked for being ugly.

Just "ugly".

Like any schoolyard lynch mob.

So ugly, in fact, that her character had to be reminded of it several times during the show and was accidentally killed for it in the end.

Everyone knows she's ugly--people wonder at it all the time!--but I doubt that anyone's ever been so cruel to her.

It didn't help that she is likely of the opposite political persuasion of T&M, either. Like the celebrities Family Guy goes after, T&M found someone they disagreed with, and aimed low. I think of the 'McCain-Palin-ticket-supported-by-Nazis' episode of Family Guy and wonder which is really worse. )


Sorry, I've never posted on here but I had to just to comment on this as it's one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a long time.

First off, SJP isn't outspoken about her political beliefs. She donates money to UNICEF and she is pro-Israel. That's about all she's ever said. So to say she is the opposite politically is already assuming a lot. You're either saying the MnT know about her politics personally or that they are assuming that she's a Hollywood liberal and are going after her because of that. I doubt they were thinking, you know she's an actor, and probably has different politics than we do. Let's rip on her. Haha. I think they would of gone after someone more outspoken if that was the case. Maybe they just think she's ugly like many others.

It's not like SJP is Janeane Garofalo. There is no possibility of them "finding some they disagreed with and aiming low". Now, I do think those jokes were cheap and not all that funny. That particular episode was average to me. But, to say they targeted her because of her politics is laughable. Remember, South Park has made fun of many other celebrities before randomly. Look at the early episode with Kathy Lee. You could name many others.

Also somehow you compare South Park making fun of someone's appearance who might happen to disagree with MnT to Family Guy calling an American war hero a Nazi. (and you wonder which is worse)

PS I am in no way a supporter of McCain and certainly not of Palin, but let's get real here chameleon. Also I do agree that it was cheap humor and only mildly funny. I didn't like it, but what you had to say about it was absurd.


It's not absurd at all. It happens all the time in sitcoms, and M&T aren't above it (2nd paragraph). I read her background and I know she's pro-Israel and not outspoken and all that, but I also know she had to have rubbed shoulders with Jane Fonda and Barbara Streisand in the Hollywood's Women's Political Committee. I am NOT convinced she was only attacked for for that (she is high-profile and current, after all), but the way she was made fun of was extremely cruel.

To support my argument that M&T are cruel to those they disagree with, I'm going to break my silence on the way they went after Isaac Hayes after he gave into pressure from his church and quit. After the incident, M&T went public and made it out like Hayes was some kind of hypocrite. BUT HE WASN'T A HYPOCRITE. Hayes was okay with all of SP's other jabs at religion because SP HAD NEVER STEPPED OUT AND SAID ANYONE'S RELIGION WAS A SCAM BEFORE.

(Scientology is a scam, btw.)

"All About the Mormons" made the case that Mormonism could be a lie, but not a malevolent scam. So Hayes sent them a letter of resignation and called them bigots in the media for portraying his religion as a scheme. M&T decided to pretend there was NOTHING DIFFERENT AT ALL about that episode's portrayal of a religion...

...and made Chef a child molester in the first episode of the next season.

So, in conclusion, M&T are not above any of the other animated sitcoms like I used to think. They sure aren't funnier anymore. They're ruthless character assassins, lazy writers, frequent defaulters to childish gimmicks, and their show's best days are long behind them.
Pwill8
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:38 am

Re: About SJP

Postby Pwill8 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:31 am

webchameleon wrote:
Pwill8 wrote:
webchameleon wrote:--(it nearly has, BTW)
--childish (alienates older viewers who otherwise like the show)
--gross for the sake of disgust
--cruel for the sake of cruel

(for that last point I refer to "The Tale of Scrottie McMoogerballs", where Sarah Jessica Parker was mercilessly attacked for being ugly.

Just "ugly".

Like any schoolyard lynch mob.

So ugly, in fact, that her character had to be reminded of it several times during the show and was accidentally killed for it in the end.

Everyone knows she's ugly--people wonder at it all the time!--but I doubt that anyone's ever been so cruel to her.

It didn't help that she is likely of the opposite political persuasion of T&M, either. Like the celebrities Family Guy goes after, T&M found someone they disagreed with, and aimed low. I think of the 'McCain-Palin-ticket-supported-by-Nazis' episode of Family Guy and wonder which is really worse. )


Sorry, I've never posted on here but I had to just to comment on this as it's one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a long time.

First off, SJP isn't outspoken about her political beliefs. She donates money to UNICEF and she is pro-Israel. That's about all she's ever said. So to say she is the opposite politically is already assuming a lot. You're either saying the MnT know about her politics personally or that they are assuming that she's a Hollywood liberal and are going after her because of that. I doubt they were thinking, you know she's an actor, and probably has different politics than we do. Let's rip on her. Haha. I think they would of gone after someone more outspoken if that was the case. Maybe they just think she's ugly like many others.

It's not like SJP is Janeane Garofalo. There is no possibility of them "finding some they disagreed with and aiming low". Now, I do think those jokes were cheap and not all that funny. That particular episode was average to me. But, to say they targeted her because of her politics is laughable. Remember, South Park has made fun of many other celebrities before randomly. Look at the early episode with Kathy Lee. You could name many others.

Also somehow you compare South Park making fun of someone's appearance who might happen to disagree with MnT to Family Guy calling an American war hero a Nazi. (and you wonder which is worse)

PS I am in no way a supporter of McCain and certainly not of Palin, but let's get real here chameleon. Also I do agree that it was cheap humor and only mildly funny. I didn't like it, but what you had to say about it was absurd.


It's not absurd at all. It happens all the time in sitcoms, and M&T aren't above it (2nd paragraph). I read her background and I know she's pro-Israel and not outspoken and all that, but I also know she had to have rubbed shoulders with Jane Fonda and Barbara Streisand in the Hollywood's Women's Political Committee. I am NOT convinced she was only attacked for for that (she is high-profile and current, after all), but the way she was made fun of was extremely cruel.

To support my argument that M&T are cruel to those they disagree with, I'm going to break my silence on the way they went after Isaac Hayes after he gave into pressure from his church and quit. After the incident, M&T went public and made it out like Hayes was some kind of hypocrite. BUT HE WASN'T A HYPOCRITE. Hayes was okay with all of SP's other jabs at religion because SP HAD NEVER STEPPED OUT AND SAID ANYONE'S RELIGION WAS A SCAM BEFORE.

(Scientology is a scam, btw.)

"All About the Mormons" made the case that Mormonism could be a lie, but not a malevolent scam. So Hayes sent them a letter of resignation and called them bigots in the media for portraying his religion as a scheme. M&T decided to pretend there was NOTHING DIFFERENT AT ALL about that episode's portrayal of a religion...

...and made Chef a child molester in the first episode of the next season.

So, in conclusion, M&T are not above any of the other animated sitcoms like I used to think. They sure aren't funnier anymore. They're ruthless character assassins, lazy writers, frequent defaulters to childish gimmicks, and their show's best days are long behind them.


Actually, I didn't mean to say MnT were above that if that's what you took from it. I was referring the particular incident with SJP. In that specific episode, there is no way in hell you can attribute their treatment of her to politics.

As far as Isaac Hayes goes, he never had any problem with this episode. His slave masters in Scientology did. He only made negative comments after it aired and his cronies got a hold of him. At that point, I believe the cult is more responsible for what he says than he is.

South Park has portrayed other religions as a scam. The episode where Cartman was an evangelist trying to scam others out of their money is one. There was another episode where Cartman had a Christian music scam going. I'm sure there are some more. Even if it isn't portraying an entire religion as a scam, it's saying that it can be easily used that way. (and often is)

Also, their portrayal of Catholicism was IMO quite a bit worse than anything they said about Scientology, wouldn't you agree? Saying nearly every priest in the church is a child molester seems to be a bit stronger than saying Scientology is a scam. You could just as easily say there is something different about that episode. Or, you could say there is something different about them stabbing Jesus in the neck in one episode. If "Trapped in the Closet" was in any way different, it's because they were unusually forgiving when making it.

Besides, MnT are cruel both to people they agree and disagree with. You can't ignore all the times they've randomly made fun of someone and then take notice of all the times they make fun of someone they disagree with. They have been just as cruel to random celebrities. They have often said that "no particular topic or group of people be spared the expense of being subject to mockery and satire, out of fairness to any person or group of people who have been ridiculed before." Sure, they might be cruel to people they disagree with. They're just as cruel to others, so what's your point?

MnT are fairly middle of the road politically anyway. They target actors more because they hate it when actors give advice or their political opinions. They are disagreeing with their smugness more than their politics most of the time. MnT interestingly are friends with George Clooney. If there is anyone they would disagree with politically, it would be him. Sure, they've made fun of him before. However, they were making fun of how smug he is, rather than his politics. (The episode "Smug Alert")

IMO, they're a step above Family Guy, but so is everyone else. I agree with most of what you said in the last paragraph. Unfortunately, South Park is fading. But, it took them longer than it took the Simpsons, so it could still go on for quite a long time. Since South Park has more security than practically any show on television, it will end whenever MnT say it does.

Sorry if you think I flamed you. I wouldn't insult somebody over the internet. I won't respond to whatever you post as a reply. I just had to comment on the ridiculous post you made earlier about how SJP was targeted in some way because MnT disagree with her. Which you still seem to be standing by. :lol:

Anyway, have a nice day.
Niels0827
Posts: 4302
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:51 am

Re: About SJP

Postby Niels0827 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:46 am

webchameleon wrote:After the incident, M&T went public and made it out like Hayes was some kind of hypocrite. BUT HE WASN'T A HYPOCRITE. Hayes was okay with all of SP's other jabs at religion because SP HAD NEVER STEPPED OUT AND SAID ANYONE'S RELIGION WAS A SCAM BEFORE.


Wrong.

You don't have to necessarily state in plain and simple English that a religion or an organization is a scam, in order to imply that it is a scam. Calling it a lie can imply that it's a scam. This is what scammers do - they lie.

Hayes was the textbook definition of "hypocrite". To my knowledge, he never expressed opposition to ripping on Jews, blacks, Mormons, Christians, gays, or any minority or ostracized group of people. Not until they did the episode on Scientology.

It sounds to me like you're implying that Hayes left the show because Matt and Trey referred to Scientology as a "scam". Are you saying Hayes wouldn't have left if they merely called it a "lie", or "fake"?
Longtimefan
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:38 am

Re: About SJP

Postby Longtimefan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:24 am

webchameleon wrote:
Pwill8 wrote:
webchameleon wrote:--(it nearly has, BTW)

...and made Chef a child molester in the first episode of the next season.


Couple of problems I have with this.. Number one is that this is about 2 years old I think.. if you're so offended by their handling of this why are you still watching?

Number 2: The way they handled Isaac Hayes leaving was CLASSY. The fact that he was a child molester was just to set up that he had been brainwashed; plus they could only use past recordings of his voice so they were limited in what they could have him say. When Kyle told the townspeople "We shouldn't be mad at Chef, we should remember the good times. We should be mad at that fruity little club for scrambling his brains." he was talking to every South Park fan and showing MnTs true feelings. They still liked the guy, hell, he more than likely helped keep them on the air and become as big as they are today; and they wanted to let everyone know that they weren't pissed at him, and we shouldn't be either. That was classy, and it was done in a hilariously round-about fashion that makes South Park the intelligent and unique show that it is.

Leaving that, I think it's so funny that everyone says they had an alterior motive for attacking Sarah Jessica Parker, considering they F*cking said IN THE SHOW "No one would make fun of Sarah Jessica Parker simply because they think she's ugly" and Stan confirms, (once again MnTs feelings) that "Yes, they would", annoyed having been one of the writers knowing the true motivation was simply just because she's ugly and beyond that the most offensive person that their 8 year old mind could think of. I know if I were writing a book about disgusting things I would include Courtney Love's name quite a few times along with other people who piss me off..

I think that if any rational person tries to put themselves into MnTs shoes; realize they've done almost 200 episodes, (think about how many ideas that is and think about the things that get shot down, probably 100s per season) that once you get to this point, you can, and would, put whatever the hell you want out there. If they want their next episode to be 20+ minutes of a goat's penis because they think it looks like Jesus and think it's hilarious, they can and will, because South Park is no longer "what will make people watch so this can become successful?". South Park has reached the mark of "People are going to be watching, what do we think is funny?" Maybe you'll agree, maybe you won't; but they don't care.. they don't have to. My question to you is that if "their best days are behind them" and they're "ruthless character assassins" who apparently disgust you so much; why the f*ck are you still watching their show? I don't like Lost, I don't like Desperate Housewives, I don't like The Simpsons, and quite a lot more; but that doesn't mean I make sure to watch every episode so I can go online and cite examples of why they're so bad.. I just don't watch them. If you hate South Park so much, why are you taking time out of your day to watch the shows and post on the website? Seems kind of contradictory to me...
ShaneHaughey
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:36 pm

Re: About SJP

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:15 am

webchameleon wrote:

To support my argument that M&T are cruel to those they disagree with, I'm going to break my silence on the way they went after Isaac Hayes after he gave into pressure from his church and quit. After the incident, M&T went public and made it out like Hayes was some kind of hypocrite. BUT HE WASN'T A HYPOCRITE. Hayes was okay with all of SP's other jabs at religion because SP HAD NEVER STEPPED OUT AND SAID ANYONE'S RELIGION WAS A SCAM BEFORE.

(Scientology is a scam, btw.)

"All About the Mormons" made the case that Mormonism could be a lie, but not a malevolent scam. So Hayes sent them a letter of resignation and called them bigots in the media for portraying his religion as a scheme. M&T decided to pretend there was NOTHING DIFFERENT AT ALL about that episode's portrayal of a religion...



I can infer from all of your posts that you are relatively unknowing of how the show works. You act as if ruthless character assassination is new in the show- it isn't. And All About the Mormons was just as brutal as Trapped in the Closet- while they didn't say that that the Mormon church was directly lying, they did say that the actual religion was complete and utter nonsense. Trapped in the Closet portrayed the Scientology Church as bullcrap and tore apart the religion- extremely brutal, but the end impact is no worse than All About the Mormons.

You seem to be awfully new to the show if you think ruthless character assassination is new. And if being called ugly is the worst damn thing that happens to someone who is OMFG RUTHLESSLY ASSASSINATED HARDCORE ELITE then dear God, sign me up. Seriously, you think this was that bad? Watch more episodes.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
stannkyle
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:48 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby stannkyle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:22 am

Really good episode. The music being played while they were bouncing on their balls was hilarious. I also loved the pope jokes. I had a feeling that this week's episode would include something about the pope incident. The scrotum coat was a little too much for me--I sorta cringed at that.
webchameleon
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:32 am

Re: About SJP

Postby webchameleon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:46 am

Pwill8 wrote:Actually, I didn't mean to say MnT were above that if that's what you took from it. I was referring the particular incident with SJP. In that specific episode, there is no way in hell you can attribute their treatment of her to politics.


There's no way in hell I can prove it (I even said I didn't think that alone was why). But that was hardly the biggest point I was trying to make, and I'm a very sad panda that everyone thinks that's such an important part of my argument.

Pwill8 wrote:As far as Isaac Hayes goes, he never had any problem with this episode. His slave masters in Scientology did. He only made negative comments after it aired and his cronies got a hold of him. At that point, I believe the cult is more responsible for what he says than he is.


With all due respect, that's what ALL SP fans (formerly myself included) say about the incident, but it completely ignores M&T's behavior and the show's history, in which I am well-informed. I've seen every episode at least 2 times and have read several interviews on the Hayes incident.

Pwill8 wrote:South Park has portrayed other religions as a scam. The episode where Cartman was an evangelist trying to scam others out of their money is one. There was another episode where Cartman had a Christian music scam going. I'm sure there are some more. Even if it isn't portraying an entire religion as a scam, it's saying that it can be easily used that way. (and often is)


I'm sorry, I must not have made myself clear (seriously): South Park had never before declared, unambiguously (or even ambiguously) that the foundations of a religion are a scam to make money off its followers.

Pwill8 wrote:Also, their portrayal of Catholicism was IMO quite a bit worse than anything they said about Scientology, wouldn't you agree?


Not really (what's "IMO"?). South Park has never said that Christianity was a scam invented to ensnare young boys for sexual abuse. All allusions to Catholicism and child-abuse not directly related to the show's plot have been rational and topical. The episodes dealing with Catholicism and Christianity exclusively are actually my favorites because:

  • Their points are extremely well-argued without being hateful or bigoted, like most sitcom satires of Christianity.
  • They are often sympathetic to the religion itself, which is something you just don't see on any other popular sitcom.
  • The messages are often inspirational.

My favorites are "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?", "Probably", "Red Hot Catholic Love", and "Bloody Mary". Paradoxically, I was no longer a Christian as of January 2009 because I believe its foundation is based on an immoral, false assertion.

Pwill8 wrote:Saying nearly every priest in the church is a child molester seems to be a bit stronger than saying Scientology is a scam. You could just as easily say there is something different about that episode. Or, you could say there is something different about them stabbing Jesus in the neck in one episode. If "Trapped in the Closet" was in any way different, it's because they were unusually forgiving when making it.


I think I've already demonstrated that it wasn't, but I want to point out again that it is ridiculous to believe that Scientology is NOT a scam and M&T were right to make it. They just have no right to be surprised that Hayes would go to the media and call them bigots (they said they suspected he might resign).

Pwill8 wrote:Besides, MnT are cruel both to people they agree and disagree with. You can't ignore all the times they've randomly made fun of someone and then take notice of all the times they make fun of someone they disagree with. They have been just as cruel to random celebrities. They have often said that "no particular topic or group of people be spared the expense of being subject to mockery and satire, out of fairness to any person or group of people who have been ridiculed before." Sure, they might be cruel to people they disagree with. They're just as cruel to others, so what's your point?


My point is: "What kind of excuse is that?" I first got into South Park because I thought it was hilarious. Then I was pleasantly shocked that it made rational, inspiring arguments and went after the Left when no one else would. But after about 5 years, all the show did was jokes about nutsacks and have Cartman shout confused expletives. It's neither clever nor funny to me--only 22 years old--as of last season. I've been holding on for a while waiting for it to get better, but it's finally reached a point where I am too EMBARRASSED to be seen watching this show (even myself through a mirror) after this came on my screen:

Image

M&T have publicly stated they were equal-opportunity offenders, and even if that is true (it probably is), they made an unusual detour in satire with SJP when they attacked only her appearance [so ruthlessly, I mean--sometimes ugly's funny] and not her character, and Hayes when they made him a child molester and not--as they believe--a hypocrite. Much of my respect for the show was in how they went after celebrities, and this isn't it.

Pwill8 wrote:Sorry if you think I flamed you.


I don't.

Pwill8 wrote:Anyway, have a nice day.


You too.
...
LOL!
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18856
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:20 am

You should have stopped watching the show after Season 1's "Starvin Marvin." What they did to Sally Struthers was far worse than what they did to SJP.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
jesussdad
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby jesussdad » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:03 am

this topic has taken a detour. isnt there a religion thread?
TOTAL_BRUTAL
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:41 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby TOTAL_BRUTAL » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:01 pm

I love how lately the voice of reason during each episode has been totally overshadowed by flat out absurdity. Example: Everone bought Dr. Doctor's conclusion that KFC was preventing cancer and no one seemed to buy into the dispensery pharmicist's argument to just legalize pot already so people dont abuse the medicinal policy. In a similar manner that Kyle and the wizard alien costume guy's reasoning were completely dismissed by the rest of the cast in Sexual Healing.
eltonpiko
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby eltonpiko » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:13 pm

man nice episode :lol: .scarface is the best movie of al time now also in the greatest series ever.
N!N
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby N!N » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Why do you guys even care about the pot thing?

i give you 8/10

for:

+5 not makeing another lame parody on a current social topic.
+1 for a little of the fun stuff (randy)
+1 for kfc theme
+1 not makeing another lame parody on a current social topic.

-1 reuse of pope joak before the slam
-1 not giveing the slam on the pope more air.

Dear m&t: Fun stuff fun stuff fun stuff. Remember?
evilcupcake72
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:26 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby evilcupcake72 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:31 pm

N!N wrote:Why do you guys even care about the pot thing?

i give you 8/10

for:

+5 not makeing another lame parody on a current social topic.
+1 for a little of the fun stuff (randy)
+1 for kfc theme
+1 not makeing another lame parody on a current social topic.

-1 reuse of pope joak before the slam
-1 not giveing the slam on the pope more air.

Dear m&t: Fun stuff fun stuff fun stuff. Remember?

well sir, your obviously stoned
PopRocksAndSoda

Back off, snickerdick!
I wanna ride your Rapidash ;D
Wii fit man
Posts: 11153
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Wii fit man » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:36 pm

N!N wrote:Why do you guys even care about the pot thing?

i give you 8/10

for:

+5 not makeing another lame parody on a current social topic.
+1 for a little of the fun stuff (randy)
+1 for kfc theme
+1 not makeing another lame parody on a current social topic.

-1 reuse of pope joak before the slam
-1 not giveing the slam on the pope more air.

Dear m&t: Fun stuff fun stuff fun stuff. Remember?

...That adds up to 7.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
evilcupcake72
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:26 am

Re: *1403: Medicinal Fried Chicken* Post-Air Discussion

Postby evilcupcake72 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Wii fit man wrote:
N!N wrote:Why do you guys even care about the pot thing?

i give you 8/10

for:

+5 not makeing another lame parody on a current social topic.
+1 for a little of the fun stuff (randy)
+1 for kfc theme
+1 not makeing another lame parody on a current social topic.

-1 reuse of pope joak before the slam
-1 not giveing the slam on the pope more air.

Dear m&t: Fun stuff fun stuff fun stuff. Remember?

...That adds up to 7.

ROFL see, he's stoned I'm telling you
PopRocksAndSoda

Back off, snickerdick!
I wanna ride your Rapidash ;D

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest