*1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

sieraz
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby sieraz » Fri May 07, 2010 9:55 am

I still think that 201 is an elaborate and superbly executed joke, I can't wait for them to finally admit it....
DeNoMad
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 9:58 am

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby DeNoMad » Fri May 07, 2010 11:30 am

I am with the rest of you that what Comedy Central did was wrong on so many levels. It’s a sad when freedom of expression is censored. South Park has always held to the motto we don’t care we are going to make fun of everyone, and nothing is off limits. For the past13 years I have been watching this show, and since the beginning they have done exactly that. What Comedy Central has done, by censoring the episode, is an action based on fear of possible consequences of some radical Islamic group.
I can understand why Comedy Central did so. The company has a responsibility to protect its employees from physical danger both legally and morally. In this case the legal responsibilities far outweigh the moral ones. If the company, or any of its employees came to harm in response to not censoring the episode it that be huge problem.

However, if Comedy Central was trying to be responsible they didn’t really do anything until it became an issue when the Islamic group made threats against the studio and the creators Trey Parker, and Matt Stone. In fact they have made fun of Mohammad is 3 previous episodes. They have already offended these radical Muslims, and I believe that is already too late to take back what has happen.
Warning Spoilers…………

In season 5 there was an episode “Super Best Friend” that depicts all the major religious figures. It’s a spoof that makes fun of all the religions and doesn’t pick on any one in particular. The episode is spoof off the horrible cartoon show “Supperfriends” and each religious figure like a super hero and together they battle the evil David Blain. Mohammad was shown in the episode and no one cared. This was pre 9/11 and no one said anything. It was still available from South Park Studios even post 9/11 and no one cared.

In season 10 episodes 3 and 4 “ Cartoon Wars” deals with the issue of whether it was right or wrong to depict the image of Mohammad in a cartoon. They made a very good point and the main joke behind the episode was putting you head in the sand and hoping that the problem won’t solve anything. In this episode they depict Mohammad but he is censored out with a black box so you couldn’t see anything.

The latest episode they again bring up the issue and make fun of Mohammad. The strange thing is that Mohammad not was not in the episode. In the episode he was in a uhal or a bear costume the entire time. How is that offensive?

The thing that puzzles me is why Comedy Central didn’t censor the bear or the uhal that represent the image of Muhammad and instead censored Mohammad’s name and some of the dialog at the end of the episode which had nothing to do with Mohammad directly. The dialog at the end of the episode was a recap of the dialog from the end of “Cartoon Wars” which was about fear and intimidation and standing up for freedom of expression.

The point I’m trying to make here why is it okay for Comedy Central to censor Mohammad’s name, and not censor the image of Mohammad which was represented by a bear costume, and a uhal. Is not the real issue you cannot depict Mohammad in cartoon; then why didn’t they do that?

To me putting Mohammad in a bear costume is more offensive then saying his name. My question here is you going to censor Mohammad then you need to censure the whole thing because everything about that episode is super offensive, or they shouldn’t have aired the episode at all.
Cornpop
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:32 am

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Cornpop » Fri May 07, 2010 11:45 am

Dude think about it. It has more to do with the potential political sh*t storm that would have happen if they didn’t censor it. Stupid media outlets like Fox News would have had a field day by making it a huge deal and quite frankly I can see why Comedy Central would not want to deal with. It’s bad for business and its better for them to just censor and make everyone happy.
I don’t agree with the censoring personally, but I can understand why it had to be done. Making it an issue like you just did is exactly what Comedy Central was trying to avoid. Beside the show would not do very well if the main creators behind the thing end up dead over a silly issue now would it.
iloveyouguys
Posts: 5579
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:43 am

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby iloveyouguys » Fri May 07, 2010 11:51 am

This episode...made me...sad...and happy...and it was really funny.
This is my signature. I made it small so anyone who tries to read it has to copy and paste the text somewhere else only to find that it isn't interesting at all. Congratulations. Also, fuckshitcockassbitchtitspenisfagskankwhorecuntpoop.
kellielynn83
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Postby kellielynn83 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:24 pm

ttHATHATS FING BULLSH*T, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH HUH. tHATS WRONG, THATS WRRRRRONGTS
DeNoMad
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 9:58 am

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby DeNoMad » Fri May 07, 2010 5:25 pm

That was a little harsh Cornpop, but this is place to discussion and you do bring up a point. It is better for from a business point of view to just censor it and move on, but I don’t think you understood what I was trying to getting at.
I was trying to point out the hypocrisy, or inconsistencies in how the episode was censored. Comedy Central didn’t censor what everyone was upset about, and instead all they censored out material that was not the cause for the censorship. It just inconsistent and seems like it was actually intentional for publicity.
Narcotic88
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Narcotic88 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:07 pm

I disagree on that last post DeNoMad. I don't think this was a publicity stunt by the network I think that they really did give in to the intimidation of the threat. CC I bet felt scared of retaliation and bleeped out everything dealing with Mohammad and to prove my point I think you just have to look back at the last speech Kyle does at the end of the episode. Why censor the last speech? It doesn't contain the word Mohammad once, like you said, and is about fear and intimidation. That is why CC decided to censor that part of the episode because they knew it was going to look bad for they. It just shows that CC is not willing to take the risks of free speech. ..... they must have voted on the sand idea.
burg5204
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby burg5204 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Have you ever realized that our country has been becoming more of a sexual culture on tv and online now censorship. When they make cartoons of Jesus Christ or Moses killing people who gets so mad and threatens to kill you then. No, one! It's not that they are afraid, its cause its someones opinion so they don't. Realization of people beside yourself live on this planet is another step to freedom. Those racialist are stupid, the USA has 48% + of nuclear weapons and they are threaten not only the comedy central but the USA cause its an american based company with american freedom!!! :santa: loves mohammad
daltonhwes
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby daltonhwes » Fri May 07, 2010 6:36 pm

What I find interesting about the censorship is the fact that he was depicted before as a cartoon and no one made a fuss at all about what happened. I could see where the extremists would be coming from if it was actually making fun of him without bashing on other religious figures. As stated before the other religions were all a part of the Super Best Friends club, and showed them as equal. None were higher or better than the others, they were all equal. We don't see radical Christians making threats against South Park for depicting Jesus.
Isn't the whole point of South Park to go and poke fun of different people, alive, dead, or immortal?
Also from another idea is the fact that the creators basically expected this to happen. It even helped the story along showing that he did have this strange power that no one can even mention him.
If Islamic extremists actually attacked us for depicting their religious figure then A) These guys are nuts, B) We should rethink our exit strategy (nukes anyone?), C) our homeland security needs to be worked on a lot, and D) Our soldiers should just start following cable lines in Iraq and Afghanistan to find the extremists. Like I said before, if they had singled him out then it would be a problem but the fact that they showed him with other religious figures as equal (I'd say even more bad ass because of the fire in the super best friends episode).
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there have been numerous threats against the nation and South Park since 9/11. Has any of them ever come true? Nope.
I believe that this episode should have been shown in its original form, unaltered, and unedited, the #1 thing that CC always tries to sell.
rudeski1
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby rudeski1 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:38 pm

I think that dressing him up in the bear costume was the whole point though. They got sh*t flipped at them for showing Muhammed, so they said "what's a bigger dick move we can make? How about we show how little we care about this dumb issue by putting the Muslim prophet in a bear costume." It makes complete sense to me because not only did they make fun of him more, but they did it in a way that people view as acceptable for some stupid reason. They are creative masterminds of social media!
lord_wiggles
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby lord_wiggles » Fri May 07, 2010 6:40 pm

I do agree that this episode should have aired. South park has pushed the envelope on many different fronts since the beginning of the series. They've insulted, offended, and ostracized just about every race, religion, and orientation on the face of this earth. They get about 100 pounds of hate mail each day, yet still keep producing this material. Who gets to decide what's gone "too far", and what is "off limits"? Is it comedy central? the FCC? The government? I don't think so. I think the only opinion that matters is the opinion of us, the viewers. If the content offends you, change the channel. Now i know the threats of this extremest group are not to be taken lightly. But it makes you think, why do they choose to attack this show, when there are far worse evils out there making fun of and disgracing Mohammed? But i'm just one guy ranting on the internet. Lets hear what you have to say.
analrape
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby analrape » Fri May 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Here's the thing about censorship in the media...If the television station is broadcast (that is sent over the airwaves and can be accessed by anyone with the means to access it) then the FCC regulates. That means that certain content it not allowed on air between 6 am and 10 pm. Since Comedy Central is a cable and satellite based broadcaster that means the technically they do not fall under the FCC regulations. This is because the people who view the station pay for it and by doing so agree to a terms of use contract. So Comedy Central can technically speaking show what ever the hell they want and will not have any problems with the FCC. The reason they follow the regulations and censor certain things is so they do not get criticized and lose following. Or they may just be Pussies.
Cornpop
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:32 am

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Cornpop » Fri May 07, 2010 8:34 pm

rudeski1 wrote :
> I think that dressing him up in the bear costume was the whole point
> though. They got sh*t flipped at them for showing Muhammed, so they said
> "what's a bigger dick move we can make? How about we show how little
> we care about this dumb issue by putting the Muslim prophet in a bear
> costume." It makes complete sense to me because not only did they
> make fun of him more, but they did it in a way that people view as
> acceptable for some stupid reason. They are creative masterminds of social
> media!

You are right about that. They are creative mastermind of social media and the bread maker Comedy Central. Only Reason CC is still around is because, to be frank, alot of there other stuff beside Chris Rock Live and Blue Color comedy just sucks.
brin3043
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby brin3043 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:40 pm

For starters I am not a big watcher of south park. Don't get me wrong, I have seen a couple episodes here and there. Some episodes are way to vulgar and make fun of people in the wrong way. Others such as the economy one where the town treats the economy as a actual being when the economy is a idea that helps strengthen that particular country or town. I really liked this episode. Others such as the recent 201 episode I found very offensive. There is a thing called respect in the world. Something that South Park has forgotten. I agree with you in many cases. This time they crossed the line and should pay the consequences.
iguazo666
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: *1406: 201* Post-Air Discussion

Postby iguazo666 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:03 pm

I think that these threats are made by people in a desperate need for attention. The fact of the matter is that is not an easy issue and it all depends on what side you wanna look at it, Like a previous poster said, there are by far worse evils in the world than showing or naming Muhammad on an American based cartoon where I can assure you there is people in Saudi Arabia or other Islamic based nations that have no idea of the existance of this show in the first place, and they are still there..South Park showed Muhammed and mention his name and the world didnt end or no one got nuked..like that Dalton poster sugested takin the subject out of proportion. I really think some muslims know that South Park took it easy on them because if Matt or Trey didnt have any sort of respect towards Muhammed(a delicate and sacred figure among a culture) or Muslim culture they would have got them even worse...like how they got Christians(pedo priests), Mormons (theyre retards for believin Joseph Smith's bullsh*t), Bhuddists (Bhudda doing coke), or Scientologists(It is all made up sci fi stuff..and Tom Cruise). Even the radical NY based group that made the threat was proven to be some loser blogger who took this whole issue out of proportion. I dont think Parker and Stone do this things just for the sake of offending other foreign cultures...they just like to express opinion in the most honest way possible and of course there are gonna be people who arent mature enough to realize that is just a cartoon and in no way is going to change the world. And for CC im surprised with the whole censorship they should of known that if they r not going to handle the heat they should of gotten out of the kitchen along time ago.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests